PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TO LEARN FROM HOODY TO BEAT PITTSBURG--OUR BLUEPRINT ?

Bretsky
01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Hoody started out the game with the intention to have a somewhat balance attack in beating Pittsburg.

Going into quarter three, the score was still close at 10-3. That is when Hoody put on the full court passing press against the Pittsburg Steelers.

He spread them out often with five receivers
And he shredded them.

Brady methodically led drive after drive by throwing underneath Pittsburgh's two-deep zone defense.
The quick throws confused the Steelers' defense and negated Pittsburgh's oft-successful blitzing schemes.
They often used the pass to set up their running game and finished with a surprising 100 total yards rushing.
Pittsburg had NO sacks.

Brady was 30 of 43 for 350 yards, he had 3 passing TD's, and one rushing TD. They went crazy in the second half with spreading the field and scored 29pts in half two

Is this our blueprint ?

mmmdk
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Hoody started out the game with the intention to have a somewhat balance attack in beating Pittsburg.

Going into quarter three, the score was still close at 10-3. That is when Hoody put on the full court passing press against the Pittsburg Steelers.

He spread them out often with five receivers
And he shredded them.

Brady methodically led drive after drive by throwing underneath Pittsburgh's two-deep zone defense.
The quick throws confused the Steelers' defense and negated Pittsburgh's oft-successful blitzing schemes.
They often used the pass to set up their running game and finished with a surprising 100 total yards rushing.
Pittsburg had NO sacks.

Brady was 30 of 43 for 350 yards, he had 3 passing TD's, and one rushing TD. They went crazy in the second half with spreading the field and scored 29pts in half two

Is this our blueprint ?

That's the blueprint alright but alas - all went awry with photogate. :wink:

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 09:27 AM
That's definitely what you want to do. Unlike the Packers, Pittsburgh likes to stay in their base 3-4. They're not quite the same when forced to play a lot of nickel and dime.

Fritz
01-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I think of the five wide receiver set as MM's wife, all decked out in a hot little piece of lingerie, beckoning him in, even though the lawn needs to be mowed and the garbage taken out....MM can be lured in by that five receiver set, he starts panting and fantasizing....

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I think we need to start flynn and play the dink and dunk, unload it quickly game....bench Rodgers should be our blueprint :P

Tarlam!
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I think of the five wide receiver set as MM's wife, all decked out in a hot little piece of lingerie, beckoning him in, even though the lawn needs to be mowed and the garbage taken out....MM can be lured in by that five receiver set, he starts panting and fantasizing....

You're a sick fuck, but I love that in a poster.

Patler
01-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Does Pittsburgh play defense any differently that they did in 2009? Beating Pittsburgh doesn't require MM figuring out how to move the ball on them, MM seems to understand that already, or at least he did a year ago to the tune of 400+ yards and 36 points. The Packers need to figure out how they will stop Pittsburgh from moving the ball, which they couldn't do last year.

Joemailman
01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Does Pittsburgh play defense any differently that they did in 2009? Beating Pittsburgh doesn't require MM figuring out how to move the ball on them, MM seems to understand that already, or at least he did a year ago to the tune of 400+ yards and 36 points. The Packers need to figure out how they will stop Pittsburgh from moving the ball, which they couldn't do last year.

Both teams are better in the secondary than they were a year ago. Steelers have Polamalu back. Packers have replaced Jarrett Bush with Sam Shields and Tramon Williams has elevated his game.

Neither team has quite the weapons they had a year ago on offense. Packers have lost Finley and the Steelers have traded Santonio Holmes.

I'm not sure that what happened last year with have a lot of bearing this year.

gbgary
01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
our d is much better this year. i agree with the spread-them-out idea...but do it from the get go. it gets troy p back into coverage and away from the line of scrimage. then the run will work better...just like the bear game.

Patler
01-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Both teams are better in the secondary than they were a year ago. Steelers have Polamalu back. Packers have replaced Jarrett Bush with Sam Shields and Tramon Williams has elevated his game.

Neither team has quite the weapons they had a year ago on offense. Packers have lost Finley and the Steelers have traded Santonio Holmes.

I'm not sure that what happened last year with have a lot of bearing this year.

My point was that Pittsburgh's scheme remains the same, and MM understands the scheme well enough that he moved almost effortlessly against it last year. Yes, Polamalu is back and Finley is gone, but the inherent inadequacies of the defense (as with any defense) are still there. I am confident MM will find a way to exploit those. Maybe this will be Quarlless' breakout game! :)

To win, the improvement has to come on defense, where the Packers were helpless in stopping Pittsburgh. Maybe that improvement will came from a few better players and a few other players playing better, but they have a long way to go on defense. Last year they didn't seem to have a clue how to handle Roethlisberger.

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
I think that's the formula for the offense, with a little more attention to running clock with draws and so forth. Locate Troy P and get favorable matchups on the side where he ain't and the Steeler secondary is in for trouble. But the Packers have to pass protect. The Steeler front might be better - and certainly is more difficult to dissect pre-snap - than Chicago. Jets showed even Brady can be confused. Can the Steelers do the same to Rodgers?

Patler's right about the defense, but the deal was the Steelers lit up Bush like a Christmas tree. They also got some other favorable matchups against fill-in dbs. Even Woodson was getting smoked here and there. They beat the crap outta Roethlisburger, but he kept coming back for more. Steelers have a better run game this year too, I think, but that edge could be gone due to the loss of the center and improved run D from the Pack.

Last year, the Packer D - particularly the secondary - played on it's heels trying to cover up deficiencies - this year they are dictating to opposing offenses. It will be interesting to see which D shows up in the Super Bowl.

bobblehead
01-30-2011, 12:29 PM
My point was that Pittsburgh's scheme remains the same, and MM understands the scheme well enough that he moved almost effortlessly against it last year. Yes, Polamalu is back and Finley is gone, but the inherent inadequacies of the defense (as with any defense) are still there. I am confident MM will find a way to exploit those. Maybe this will be Quarlless' breakout game! :)

To win, the improvement has to come on defense, where the Packers were helpless in stopping Pittsburgh. Maybe that improvement will came from a few better players and a few other players playing better, but they have a long way to go on defense. Last year they didn't seem to have a clue how to handle Roethlisberger.

I would say that them getting back the best safety in the game and us losing a top 2 TE in the game changes things....thats just me.

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I would say that them getting back the best safety in the game and us losing a top 2 TE in the game changes things....thats just me.

I didn't even know we had Chris Cooley.

Lurker64
01-30-2011, 12:47 PM

There's a difference between "understanding conceptually how to attack a defense" and "having the tools to do so." MM demonstrated last year that he understands the former, the question really is does he have to tools to do so.

Packers4Glory
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
their secondary isn't that good and add in the nickle back and its a distinct advantage for GB so long as they control the blitz. I'm sure Pitt is gearing up for just that tho..GB spreading them out. They have 2 weeks to prepare so it might not be so easy.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
The Steeler front might be better - and certainly is more difficult to dissect pre-snap - than Chicago. Jets showed even Brady can be confused. Can the Steelers do the same to Rodgers?

They can confuse with pressure and front, but in the back they are predictable. Rodney Harrison called them on it after NE drilled Pittsburgh. Zone all day long. There are holes if there is time.

mission
01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
I didn't even know we had Chris Cooley.

You trying to say Cooley is a top 2 TE?

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
You trying to say Cooley is a top 2 TE?

pretty much, but only based on stats. It was just a lame attempt at a joke anyways....

mission
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
pretty much, but only based on stats. It was just a lame attempt at a joke anyways....

I figured, but then went in the tank trying to think of Cooley's stats this season because I just assumed he fell off. Thought Top 10 maybe, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. :D

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
They can confuse with pressure and front, but in the back they are predictable. Rodney Harrison called them on it after NE drilled Pittsburgh. Zone all day long. There are holes if there is time.

They have two weeks to practice and plan. Rodgers can be forced to hold the ball a little longer with a mix of man underneath and zone over the top, allowing the pass rush time to get there. The huge difference is that Brady will not run and Rodgers can gash you - if he keeps his head clear.

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I figured, but then went in the tank trying to think of Cooley's stats this season because I just assumed he fell off. Thought Top 10 maybe, but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. :D

I was surprised to see him way up there in receptions and yards. Witten was unreal with 90+ catches and around 1000 yards, but Cooley was in the seventies and around 800 yards - he was a check-down monster.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 01:13 PM
They have two weeks to practice and plan. Rodgers can be forced to hold the ball a little longer with a mix of man underneath and zone over the top, allowing the pass rush time to get there. The huge difference is that Brady will not run and Rodgers can gash you - if he keeps his head clear.

We shall see. But the Pittsburgh MO is zilch man to man. If they switch up, those DBs and LBs will be vulnerable.

mraynrand
01-30-2011, 01:16 PM
We shall see. But the Pittsburgh MO is zilch man to man. If they switch up, those DBs and LBs will be vulnerable.

I agree. I'm just kind of wondering out loud what the Pitt defense can do to slow the Packers down. The only thing I come up with that is likely at all is that the Packer O-line just gets obliterated start to finish and Troy P guesses right an awful lot.

pbmax
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree. I'm just kind of wondering out loud what the Pitt defense can do to slow the Packers down. The only thing I come up with that is likely at all is that the Packer O-line just gets obliterated start to finish and Troy P guesses right an awful lot.

Its a possibility. My concern is that the vulnerability is when each team is overloading the other. Like when Rodgers let Peppers come at him untouched as he was planning to release the ball before the hit. Rodgers will have a receiver open, but the question is does the throw get out before the QB gets killed in that situation. For as much as the protect with seven scheme drives me nuts, I would prefer to see it and wait for someone to break free sooner. Unless he is sure something will break free immediately. And I don't mean WR bubble screens that only Nelson seems to convert.

esoxx
01-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Belichick is out of the playoffs and yesterday's news. We'll win this the Packer way.