PDA

View Full Version : taxes

Harlan Huckleby
04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
I was just gonna try-out efiling with the IRS this year (i normally don't deal with taxes until April 14, but am getting early start this year.) Anyway, I go to IRS.gov, and "eFiling" just means you submit forms prepared by a software package. Which means you have to shell-out $80 for TurboTax or whatever.

All right, call me a cheap bastard.

BUt my taxes are pretty simple, I don't need a complex software program. Why the F doesn't the IRS just put a f-ing 1040 form online that I can fill out?

F them. "E-filing". There is zero reason they can't put-up the basic forms, those unaccomodating bastards.

sorry for venting.

MJZiggy
04-10-2006, 08:07 PM
You could have stuck this in rants, but no biggie. IRS is evil.

billy_oliver880
04-10-2006, 08:37 PM
If you are in a lower income bracket like me. (still a student) You can use some software for free. I think there are some limitations when you get to higher income brackets...I use H&R Block and I have been for the last 3 years and I get a rebate within 2 weeks.

Mr. T
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Harlan, there are several sites that will e-File you federal taxes for free. You usually have to go to the site via the IRS link:

http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp

I've used H&R Block and TaxAct. Both worked. IMO, H&R is a little more sophisticated and is better if you want to itemize deductions; Taxact is simpler but keeps throwing annoying ads at you in the middle of filing.

You can also file your Wisconsin state taxes for free here:

https://ww2.dor.state.wi.us/GenericFile/application?interview=1135543

Why e-File? Because you can have your refund directly deposited to your bank account. Why is this convenient? Because you usually get your money in two weeks!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I am currently enrolled in a income tax class. I learned that income from the illigal sale of marijuana and other drugs such as coke, herion and PCP are taxable. Lucky for me, I don't have to file a tax return this year cos my folks are able to claim me as a dependent since the income I made from selling marijuana is not enough to justify the IRS income principal (i think i sold about $35 worth of dope; im usually is a buyer, not seller).

If anybody need help with their return, im not the person to talk too. I skiped the mandatory income tax days and it has hurt my grade (3 days in which student, along with the Professor, help the DC community file their return for free; even as a Liberal, I hate doing community service.)

Harlan Huckleby
04-10-2006, 10:23 PM
good thinkin, tank. Ya know Al Capone, after a lifetime of murdering people, finally got nailed for income tax evasion.

Thanks for free tax consult, billy boy. Wish I was a student again.

Mr T, looks like a direct hit! Thanks. Maybe we can screw RetailGuy out of couple clients.

Little Whiskey
04-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I know this is not directly related to the income tax rant, but i also have a tax rant. A friend of mine has 40 plus acres that he inherited from his father who inherited it from his father. This land has been in the family since before the CIVIL WAR. This area swells in the summer time due to the influx of chicagoains. It just so happens that a section of it is along lake Michigan. do you know what his tax bill is every year. over 40k!!! that is way more than the average job in that town pays!! he is being forced to sell off his land because his family cannot afford the taxes anymore!!! damned gov't. when his great great great great grandfather bought the land he was basically forced to buy that section since it is very hilly and no good for farming! but because of rich illinois bastards comming over the line and jacking the price of everything to kingdom come, his family cannot afford to hold on to the family farm!! i guess i hate the gov't and illinois!! it also sucks for me since it is a great piece of property to hunt!! Well that is my tax rant thanks for listening. This message paid for by residents for Little Whiskey.

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2006, 09:28 AM
LW,

This is happening all over the country. Just ask folks that have land in Montana or near the Badlands in North Dakota. The locals have to get creative with their laws.

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
TurboTax costs like $40 bucks and takes like 30-45 minutes to run through - much cheaper/easier than a CPA.

retailguy
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
TurboTax costs like $40 bucks and takes like 30-45 minutes to run through - much cheaper/easier than a CPA.

You get what you pay for.... :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Thats horse shit Whiskey. I could club a baby seal I am so mad right now.

What I am really pissed off about is I am supposed to go have my takes done and I can't find my fucking W-2, but I do have my last pay stub of 2005 with everything that I paid in. Can I use this in anyway?

FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC
I Miss Murphy

Fosco33
04-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Thats horse shit Whiskey. I could club a baby seal I am so mad right now.

What I am really pissed off about is I am supposed to go have my takes done and I can't find my fucking W-2, but I do have my last pay stub of 2005 with everything that I paid in. Can I use this in anyway?

FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC FIC
I Miss Murphy

You'll need the following:

1. Employer's Federal Tax ID # (not generally on a pay stub but you should have your taxes from last year and if you haven't changed jobs...)
2. Wages (probably gross from your pay stub)
3. Federal Tax, Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld (all three are different)
4. Social Security and Medicare Wages (not always the same was #2 - this could be a problem unless your pay stub is very specific)
5. Then all the box 12 stuff (Group term life ins over $500, elective deferrals to 401k, etc.) - generally not on pay stubs
6. Box 13 and 14 have info that you probably don't have either

Best thing to do is call your HR department. Have fun you procrastinating SOB.

Scott Campbell
04-12-2006, 10:47 PM

You get what you pay for.... :mrgreen:

I used Turbo Tax this year, but know what you mean. My usual guy earns his money by answering 3 or 4 planning questions after we've finished up with my taxes.

I hate taxes too. The government hasn't done nearly enough for me to justify stealing this much money. But I would like to thank those nice folks for coming up with the Roth IRA. That will be my revenge.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I got all my taxes back!!!! I guess thats what happens when you only have 8,000 dollars of taxable income, god I love my accountant!

Scott Campbell
04-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Sounds like somebody is getting paid in cash.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Just a really good accountant, one kid, a house, a wife in law school, and a really shitty job. You know the good life.

GrnBay007
04-12-2006, 11:51 PM
I love my tax man! He's this older man that has a story for everything. I go in there to drop off my stuff and we BS for an hour or so. He's patient with me too.....lol he's only been waiting for the rest of my stuff for 4 wks now and hasn't complained. :razz:

HowardRoark
05-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Why do I care about your taxes asshole?

HowardRoark
05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Not you 007; Harlan....(he's the asshole).

GrnBay007
05-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Not you 007; Harlan....(he's the asshole).

I know :)

sooner6600
05-16-2012, 07:33 AM
This belongs in FYI; not here.

Smeefers
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Harlan, there are several sites that will e-File you federal taxes for free. You usually have to go to the site via the IRS link:

http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/index.jsp

I've used H&R Block and TaxAct. Both worked. IMO, H&R is a little more sophisticated and is better if you want to itemize deductions; Taxact is simpler but keeps throwing annoying ads at you in the middle of filing.

https://ww2.dor.state.wi.us/GenericFile/application?interview=1135543

Why e-File? Because you can have your refund directly deposited to your bank account. Why is this convenient? Because you usually get your money in two weeks!

Man, I didn't know it was free to do WI taxes too. Thanks for the info. I'll get it next year!
You can also file your Wisconsin state taxes for free here:

SkinBasket
05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Free... lol. Well, free to you, I guess is still free... to you.