PDA

View Full Version : TMI

Kiwon
02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
As much as I enjoy the game of pro football I equally detest the over-the-top media hype that comes with the Super Bowl. For 2 weeks, much of it is talking just for the sake of talking. Nothing really important is being communicated once the same point has been repeated for the umpteenth time.

Of course, the extra week is basically marketing and hyping the game and building the excitement for the causal viewer. Younger viewers are introduced to the teams and event itself while the bandwagon types will get on-board behind one team or the other.

For example, here’s a nice article about why the average person should root for the Packers - "Support Green Bay; Annoy the Rich"
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/111995/support-green-bay-annoy-the-rich?mod=bb-budgeting&sec=topStories&pos=8&asset=&ccode=

But I suspect that many serious football fans are like me - No mas, TMI, I wish the game was played tomorrow.

Sure, advertising and sponsorship pays the bills, but two weeks of non-stop noise is tough to take. It’s a necessary evil I guess.

Old School
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Right on. I pretty much read everything I can find on the Packers. For the past few weeks I pick and choose what I consider useful information. Print and broadcast media are way over the top on what for them, passes as "coverage".

Scott Campbell
02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Total agreement. I feel the same way about the production of the game, the pregame, the postgame, and the half time show. Those talking heads typically can't tell me anything that I haven't read a million times on PackerRats.

VegasPackFan
02-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I really wish there wasnt a week in between. It just ends up being too much.

Jimx29
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I really wish there wasnt a week in between. It just ends up being too much.
^what he said^

yesterdays nfl network coverage of the Packers getting off the plane was what put me over the edge already. I'll be perfectly content by reading what I need to read right here at PR