PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Question

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2011, 02:14 AM
What does the G on the Packers helmet stand for? See if you get it right. (Don't look it up.)

Gunakor
02-02-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm assuming it's not Green Bay, since it's a trivia question.

Greatness?

VermontPackFan
02-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Dont know...

hoosier
02-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Gunakor, you are wiser than you know.

pittstang5
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
G-spot...if not, it should be.

mmmdk
02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Gunakor, you are wiser than you know.

G for Gunakor? :lol:

Little Whiskey
02-02-2011, 09:01 AM
That was actually an interesting video. probably the most interesting thing that came out of media day.

Kiwon
02-02-2011, 09:02 AM
What does the G on the Packers helmet stand for? See if you get it right. (Don't look it up.)

Oh, I know, I know..... (because I have already seen the video).

vince
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I've heard this before and have tried to source it but can't find an authoritative source for it. Wikipedia is the only thing I've found and I'd like to find something better.

Anyone have a better source than Tiki Barber and Wikipedia?

Little Whiskey
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Lee Remmel?

Freak Out
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Gumdrops.

denverYooper
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Glasnost. You don't play the Green Bay Packers, Packers play you!

Joemailman
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
http://images.coolchaser.com/themes/t/94856-media.graytvinc.com-images-Green-Bay-Packers-logo.jpgOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!

bobblehead
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I've always said "God's team" Fuck America's team, shitbags like the cowboys co-opted that one.

Guiness
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Grambling State?

I dunno. They use the same G!

What video?

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Grambling State?

I dunno. They use the same G!

What video?

The Packers trademarked the G logo. They gave Grambling State and Georgia authorization to use it.

Here's the video:

What does the "G" in the Packers logo stand for? (http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfl/Y_Sports_NFL/24044113)

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Not sure where the get their source.

Green Bay Packers Logo - Design and History (http://www.dinesh.com/history_of_logos/nfl_logos/green_bay_packers_logo_-_design_and_history.html)

The Green Bay Packers are an American football team based in Green Bay, Wisconsin. They are members of the North Division and are the second-oldest franchise in the NFL.

The Packers were founded in 1919 by Earl "Curly" Lambeau (hence the name Lambeau Field on which the team plays) and George Whitney Calhoun. The Green Bay Packers have won twelve league championships (more than any other team in the NFL) including nine NFL Championships prior to the Super Bowl era and three Super Bowl victories in 1967, 1968 and 1996.

The Packers are America's first pro football dynasty and also the first franchise to utilize corporate sponsorship. In 1919, the Indian Packing Company gave the team $500 for uniforms and equipment, hence the name "Packers".

The oval "G" logo was created in 1961 by Packers equipment manager George "Dad" Braisher. To most people's minds, the "G" stands for "Green Bay". However, when the logo was designed and adopted, it was determined the "G" would stand for "Greatness". The team actually used a number of different logos prior to 1961, but the "G" is the only logo that has ever appeared on the helmet. Although the Packers have granted limited permission to other organizations to utilize a similar logo, notably the University of Georgia and Grambling State University, the Packers hold the trademark for it.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Green Bay used Blue and Gold as their primary colors but by the 9150's changed it to Green and Gold. The color scheme yields the common Packer nickname, "The Green and Gold"

vince
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Not sure where the get their source.

Green Bay Packers Logo - Design and History (http://www.dinesh.com/history_of_logos/nfl_logos/green_bay_packers_logo_-_design_and_history.html)
Not sure who or what dinesh.coom is. That text was copied word for word from wikipedia.

Edit: Dinesh is an Indian who built a site about logos as a hobby. I'd still like to get some authority to confirm this.

Guiness
02-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Not sure who or what dinesh.coom is. That text was copied word for word from wikipedia.

Edit: Dinesh is an Indian who built a site about logos as a hobby. I'd still like to get some authority to confirm this.
It is almost copied word for word. The sentence with 'Greatness' in it is not on Wikipedia. There are a couple of mentions of it on the discussion page.

Freak Out
02-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Seems nutz that were getting info about the teams logo from an Indians research project. :)

Joemailman
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
QUOTE=vince;573948]Not sure who or what dinesh.coom is. That text was copied word for word from wikipedia.

Edit: Dinesh is an Indian who built a site about logos as a hobby. I'd still like to get some authority to confirm this.[/QUOTE]

It is almost copied word for word. The sentence with 'Greatness' in it is not on Wikipedia. There are a couple of mentions of it on the discussion page.

The sentence tith greatness is used here: http://packers.wikia.com/wiki/Logos_and_uniforms_of_the_Green_Bay_Packers

Perhaps this is the source that dinesh.com used.

vince
02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
That's interesting. Someone took it out. I shit you not. It was there earlier this morning. That's the problem with wikipedia. I think it was taken out because it wasn't properly sourced.

Guiness
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
That's interesting. Someone took it out. I shit you not. It was there earlier this morning. That's the problem with wikipedia. I think it was taken out because it wasn't properly sourced.

I saw it mentioned on the discussion page, but didn't look at the date it was changed. Odd, too, because there was mention that the page is locked.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say Harv deleted it so we couldn't check there for the answer to this question!

Maybe we're all wrong, and George Braisher wanted to be immortalized, so he put his initial on the helmet!!!!:wink:

vince
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Here's a log of the latest revision on the history page Guiness. I had to check just to make sure I wasn't nuts.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/GStandsforGreatness.jpg

mraynrand
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Here's an unholy alliance - General Steel Industries Casting Division:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/General_Steel_Industries_Castings_Division_shield_ logo.jpg

Fosco33
02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Liked the story - always learn something new daily.

My wife bought me the retro '29 Arod jersey (and since I've worn it - we've been 5-0).

So yeah... I'll be sporting it all day on Sunday.

Fosco33
02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
You should wait for MTP's response. When I met him - he told me why he liked the Packers. The G stands for something else to him altogether.

Crazy Mexican :-)

swede
02-02-2011, 02:49 PM
You should wait for MTP's response. When I met him - he told me why he liked the Packers. The G stands for something else to him altogether.

I've got a bone to pick with him anyway. He used to have the word "pendejo" on his avatar so the word kind of got burned into my brain. I have six little first-graders in my classroom that are fluent in English and Spanish, y los estudiantes me ensenan mucho. I was struggling to find the word for heavy in speaking to one of the boys about his backpack, so I said "La muchilla esta muy...muy...pe..pen...pendejo---pendeja, no?"

The boy looked at me the way Beaver would have looked at Miss Landers if she had said, "Beaver...cut the bullshit and sit down, dickhead."

I'm not sure what pendejo means and I wasn't going to ask the kid. He seemed traumatized enough for one day.

Fritz
02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Uh, I think "pendejo" means "dick." So yeah, kinda like Miss Landers calling the Beav a dick...though in truth, the Beav was a puzzy.

And I thought the "G" stood for "Gpackers"

Fosco33
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I've got a bone to pick with him anyway. He used to have the word "pendejo" on his avatar so the word kind of got burned into my brain. I have six little first-graders in my classroom that are fluent in English and Spanish, y los estudiantes me ensenan mucho. I was struggling to find the word for heavy in speaking to one of the boys about his backpack, so I said "La muchilla esta muy...muy...pe..pen...pendejo---pendeja, no?"

The boy looked at me the way Beaver would have looked at Miss Landers if she had said, "Beaver...cut the bullshit and sit down, dickhead."

I'm not sure what pendejo means and I wasn't going to ask the kid. He seemed traumatized enough for one day.

I think pendejo means stupid/idiot.

Bandejo - pretty sure that means asshole. You should bust that on them sometime.

bobblehead
02-02-2011, 06:17 PM

It does not stand for Gringos no matter what he tries to tell you.

bobblehead
02-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Liked the story - always learn something new daily.

My wife bought me the retro '29 Arod jersey (and since I've worn it - we've been 5-0).

So yeah... I'll be sporting it all day on Sunday.

Since I expect to got 19-0 next season I advise you wash it between wears.

Iron Mike
02-02-2011, 06:25 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs773.ash1/166347_501692124013_607864013_6007391_4572349_n.jp g

swede
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Oh, that is good, Mike.

hoosier
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Pendejo means pube. And yeah, it is slang for moron or dick or asshole. Though not in the anatomical sense of the words.

swede
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Pendejo means pube. And yeah, it is slang for moron or dick or asshole. Though not in the anatomical sense of the words.

So what you are saying is, with all of its permutations of meaning surrounding a man's middle, I may be able to convince a parent with concerns over my calling his son's backpack a "pendejo" that I was simply making the honest mistake of thinking that the word means "heavy sack."
Now I have to decide if I should grab my crotch to illustrate my point during the next parent/teacher conference. I'd like to see the translator handle that.

hoosier
02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
So what you are saying is, with all of its permutations of meaning surrounding a man's middle, I may be able to convince a parent with concerns over my calling his son's backpack a "pendejo" that I was simply making the honest mistake of thinking that the word means "heavy sack."
Now I have to decide if I should grab my crotch to illustrate my point during the next parent/teacher conference. I'd like to see the translator handle that.

No, that's the problem, in Spanish the anatomical words and the vulgar words are different, at least in these cases. Calling someone a pube is a huge insult, whereas if you call him a penis or a rectum you'll just get a puzzled look. Go figure.

So by all means, do the crotch grab, but the Hispanic parents will probably just figure you're an old baseball player or something.

vince
02-15-2011, 05:00 PM
http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2011/02/g-still-stands-for-gullible.html

Monday, February 14, 2011
"G" Still Stands for "Gullible"

Okay, this ought to put it to rest.

You'll remember, as we talked about two weeks ago, that Tiki Barber hosted a Yahoo! Sports video in which he claimed that the Packers' famous "G" helmet logo, designed for Lombardi by Gerald "Dad" Braisher, originally stood not for "Green Bay" but rather for "Greatness".

Of course, it's not true. Barber doesn't even get Braisher's name right - it was Gerald, not George.

It appears that, as I suspected, Tiki Barber got this little piece of knowledge from Wikipedia, where it was added by an anonymous author in June of 2010 (who failed, of course, to provide a source). It subsequently got picked up by Yahoo! Answers, answers.com, and dozens of other content-hungry sites which copy-and-paste text from Wikipedia. Not to menton countless blogs and message boards, all of which repeated it uncritically.

After Barber's video, the false assertion was removed from Wikipedia. Most of the inaccurate information eventually is, but the damage was done. Barber's little tidbit was out there, on all those sites.

The Sioux City Journal fanned the flames when it reprinted the falsehood as fact:

Leave it to Tiki Barber, the intrepid former star running back now turned broadcaster, to unveil information not many people – including myself – knew about the Green Bay Packers logo.

Like most, I assumed the familiar "G" stood for Green Bay. As in Wisconsin. Titletown U.S.A.

Nope.

According to Barber, and later verified by a google question search, the "G" actually stands for Greatness. Apparently, equipment manager George "Dad" Brashier[sic] thought up and designed the logo in 1961.
A google search? That's research?

And now, because the Sioux City Journal is a reputable, legitimate source, the bogus story has acquired the sheen of legitimacy. And so, back on Wikipedia it goes to confuse countless other lazy researchers.

An anonymous reader tipped me off to what we think is the origin of this nonsense. It comes from a 2003 DVD called Legend of Lambeau Field. In the chapter on the 1961 NFL Championship Game, the narrator intones:

"Lombardi added a 'G' to the Packers' helmet in 1961. And it stood for 'great.' The team posted the league's best record, and earned the right to host the championship game."

And that's it. A rhetorical flourish, and not even a good one. Picked up and repeated, until somebody believed it enough to put it on Wikipedia (while getting the actual word wrong).

Which is, as I said before, the problem with Wikipedia. Anybody can post any nonsense they please, and although it may eventually be removed, the damage can already be done.

Just to close out the story, MidwestSportsFans.com did what I should have done in the beginning, and asked the Packers. The team's response:

The Packers' Assistant Director of PR and Corporate Communications had the following to say: "There’s nothing in our history that suggests there's any truth to this. The Packers Hall of Fame archivist said the same thing."

And they really ought to have the final word.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
That's too bad. It would have been much cooler if it stood for "Greatness". Way to ruin a good thing, Vince.

vince
02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
That's too bad. It would have been much cooler if it stood for "Greatness". Way to ruin a good thing, Vince.
I agree. Don't shoot the messenger man.:oops:

channtheman
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
So it DOES stand for Green Bay? Or what?

Iron Mike
02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Gangsta.

pbmax
02-15-2011, 10:48 PM
If it was for the G-spot as Pittstang hopes, it likely would be smaller and harder to find for most people.

I think it should stand for Gondorff.

woodbuck27
02-16-2011, 12:31 AM
'G' for 'Greatness' is appropriate for our team. Owner of 13 NFL Championships now.

Thie Green Bay Packer LOGO is a prominant part of my community, Greenfield Park, Quebec, a borough of the city of Longueuil, Quebec.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=86933391178&v=photos

The youth footbal program, so a part of my community.

I often hear the cheer ' GO PACK GO ' in Greenfield Park,Quebec.