PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the year goes to...

CaptainKickass
02-02-2011, 07:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e139ee/article/patriots-belichick-is-ap-nfl-coach-of-the-year-for-third-time

The 2010 New England Patriots boasted a 14-2 regular-season record, the NFL's highest-scoring offense and The Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year in quarterback Tom Brady. Wednesday night, the man who orchestrated it all -- Bill Belichick -- was honored as The Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year for the third time since 2003.

Monday: Defensive Player of the Year
(Troy Polamalu)
Tuesday: Offensive Player of the Year
(Tom Brady)
Wednesday: Coach of the Year (Bill Belichick)
Friday: Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year (TBA)
Saturday: Comeback Player of the Year (TBA)
Sunday: Most Valuable Player (TBA)

Belichick led the Patriots to the AFC East title for the seventh time in the last eight seasons while remaking the roster with younger players -- the team started the season as the 13th youngest in the league. By season's end, the Patriots' active roster included 27 players -- including 12 rookies -- who were in their first three professional seasons.

The Patriots scored a league-high 32.4 points per game and were eighth in total offense (363.8 yards per game) under Belichick, who doesn't have an offensive or defensive coordinator.

Belichick, whose award was announced exclusively on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," previously was selected Coach of the Year in 2007, when the Patriots went 16-0, and in 2003, the first of the team's three 14-2 seasons since he took over in 2000. He has finished in the top five in voting nine times.

Belichick joined Don Shula (four times) and Chuck Knox (three) as the only coaches to win the award more than twice.

CaptainKickass
02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Apparently Mike McCarthy didn't even get a vote. I haven't found a source to confirm this so if any of you find anything - please post up.

red
02-02-2011, 07:11 PM
nope MM didn't get a single vote

i'm not a huge MM fan, but i think its a complete crock that he didn't even get one damn vote with what he's done with this team even after all the injuries

this comes from PFT

Belichick garnered 30 of the 50 votes. Raheem Morris of the Bucs and Todd Haley of Kansas City split second place with 11.5 votes apiece.

Mike Smith (Falcons), Andy Reid (Eagles), Lovie Smith (Bears), and Steve Spagnuolo (Rams) each received one of the remaining votes.

Joemailman
02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
You are correct. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e139ee/article/patriots-belichick-is-aps-nfl-coach-of-the-year-for-third-time?module=HP_headlines

Tough to get recognition when you won more games in the regular season the year before, even though there were different factors this year.

Tony Oday
02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
nope MM didn't get a single vote

i'm not a huge MM fan, but i think its a complete crock that he didn't even get one damn vote with what he's done with this team even after all the injuries

this comes from PFT

only one trophy is worth it.

swede
02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Another reason to play pissed off.

hoosier
02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Consider that the voting took place before the playoffs began. Would this seem like such a scandal if we hadn't yet seen Green Bay survive Philly and Chicago and obliterate Atlanta? Yes, even getting this injury decimated team into the playoffs was a magician's feat, but I don't know that it was more impressive than what Belichick, Morris, Haley and Smith accomplished. Hell, getting that mediocre Bears team to win the division just might have been the most impressive coaching job of all.

Brandon494
02-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Consider that the voting took place before the playoffs began. Would this seem like such a scandal if we hadn't yet seen Green Bay survive Philly and Chicago and obliterate Atlanta? Yes, even getting this injury decimated team into the playoffs was a magician's feat, but I don't know that it was more impressive than what Belichick, Morris, Haley and Smith accomplished. Hell, getting that mediocre Bears team to win the division just might have been the most impressive coaching job of all.

This!

MM did a good job this year but I believe Capers deserves more credit than Mike for the team reaching the SB. IMO

CaptainKickass
02-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Not even a single vote though? In the words of Deion "C'MON MAN!"

Jimx29
02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
maybe it's realistic that more people than just me are not completely nutz over M3 and his coaching abilities?

hoosier
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Not even a single vote though? In the words of Deion "C'MON MAN!"

I agree that it's hard to explain why MM wouldn't get a single vote, just based on the fact that the Packers avoided falling off the face of the earth after all those injuries. I wonder whether there was a perception that GBs success was mostly due to Capers played any role in MM not getting any recognition. I also think that if we do a mental rewind and put ourselves back in week 17 what we will see is a talented but inconsistent team that has just beat the crap out of the Giants and held off Chicago, but which is not that far removed from having stunk it up at Detroit. NOW we can see that McCarthy did an amazing job of instilling confidence in his team and plugging in players whose talents were unknown. But back then recent record still said inconsistency.

Packers4Glory
02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
idk how you guide a team to the playoffs and a SB w/ that many key players on your IR and not win OR get a damn vote lol ! Please tell me they voted like week 16 or 17

ThunderDan
02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Let me get this straight!

One guy gets 30 votes
Two guys get 11.5 each and
Four guys get 1 vote each

30+11.5+11.5+1+1+1+1+1= 57
So there were 50 voters and 57 votes counted. No wonder Clay didn't win DPOY in a screwed up annoucement.

mraynrand
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
This!

MM did a good job this year but I believe Capers deserves more credit than Mike for the team reaching the SB. IMO

So how would that be any different than Chicago? What did Lovie do but turn everything over to multiple ex-coaches? Or would you say that Philbin was responsible for the success of the offense too?

SkinBasket
02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I too am less than impressed with Wall-Eye, but what the mother fuck?!

I guess Belicheck deserves it. He has so little to work with there.

gbgary
02-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Apparently Mike McCarthy didn't even get a vote.

because of his playcalling. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/wink5.gif

gbpackfan
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Who says cheaters never prosper?

packerbacker1234
02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Too b ad voting doesn't take the playoffs into account. If it did.. MM takes the cake by far. The team has all these IR players, gets the last seed in the NFC, and runs the damn table - on the road - to get to a super bowl despite missing their star TE, their starting RB, and a slew of LB's.

He deserved at least 1 vote for not letting this team quit after detroit.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I too am less than impressed with Wall-Eye, but what the mother fuck?!

I guess Belicheck deserves it. He has so little to work with there.

Clearly he has "it" and MM doesn't

HarveyWallbangers
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
maybe it's realistic that more people than just me are not completely nutz over M3 and his coaching abilities?

You think Thompson sucks too, so who exactly is ultimately responsible for getting this team to the Super Bowl?

How long you keeping this around. It's 2011 now.

The Bottom Line:
The Packers finished 6-10 in 2008, missing the playoffs for the third time in four years under Thompson after qualifying 10 times in the 12 seasons before that.

Kiwon
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Troy Aikman has been clear and vocal that MM was his 'Coach of the Year.'

I would have thought that MM would have gotten a few votes given the success they've had despite the devastating injuries.

denverYooper
02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Seems like COTY usually goes to a coach whose team either:
a.) won >11 games or
b.) won significantly (>4) more games than the previous year

The award has to do with a great record or great improvement of record, neither of which the Packers saw. Unfortunately, the injury situation is not generally factored in. Heck, Hoody's most amazing season might have been 2008, when he went 11-5 without Tom Brady. But the Pats didn't make the playoffs that year and they were coming off of 16-0.

Wayne Fontes was once Coach of the Year. Holmgren never was.

swede
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Nuggets like these make my life easier to live. Thank you.

But the team should still feel the keen disrespect of a world that is against them. Friendless, they must rely on each other in the final battle ahead of them.

mraynrand
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Wayne Fontes was once Coach of the Year.

Yabba, dabba, do!

http://themoderatevoice.com/wordpress-engine/files/2009-january/fred_flintstone.jpg

VermontPackFan
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
This!

Do you think the D puts Capers on their shoulders after we win the game Sunday like the 85 Bears, Ditka vs. Ryan? Lets not go there...

Fritz
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
"But the team should still feel the keen disrespect of a world that is against them. Friendless, they must rely on each other in the final battle ahead of them."

-Swede

Agreed. Furthermore, the President of the United States is against them. And Brian Urlacher. And Clay Matthews did not win the DPOY award, while the guy who did missed several games. And guys like Howard Green and Erik Walden were rejected by other teams. And kids used to tease Mason Crosby in grade school, comparing him to that movie star midget guy. In sixth grade, Charles Woodson was teased mercilessly, his classmates calling him "Woody" in front of all the girls. Ryan Pickett was teased for being fat when he was a second grader. Donald Driver's brother used to steal Donald's last sandwich. Daryn Colledge's mother has the words "false start" tatooed on her left forearm. Brent Favre's wife ridicules his penis size.

Oh, wait. Never mind that last one.

Alone, abandoned by the entire world, these Packers have only each other. Friends, brothers in blood, they charge ahead, doing it for themselves and for each other.

CaptainKickass
02-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Another reason to play pissed off.

Agreed

Troy Aikman has been clear and vocal that MM was his 'Coach of the Year.'

I'm surprised he can use words with more than 1 syllable

I would have thought that MM would have gotten a few votes given the success they've had despite the devastating injuries.

That's precisely my point. Also, the ADDITIONAL fact that our defense not only weathered the injury storm, but actually IMPROVED.

Seems like COTY usually goes to a coach whose team either:
a.) won >11 games or
b.) won significantly (>4) more games than the previous year

Is there any official criteria? "Seems Like" just doesn't seem like it's right.

I'm not really saying that MM should have won. I am saying the he should have got at least one frickin vote.

Nuggets like these make my life easier to live. Thank you.

But the team should still feel the keen disrespect of a world that is against them. Friendless, they must rely on each other in the final battle ahead of them.

Queue the fundamental elephants...I mean...eloquence...

"But the team should still feel the keen disrespect of a world that is against them. Friendless, they must rely on each other in the final battle ahead of them."

-Swede

Agreed. Furthermore, the President of the United States is against them. And Brian Urlacher. And Clay Matthews did not win the DPOY award, while the guy who did missed several games. And guys like Howard Green and Erik Walden were rejected by other teams. And kids used to tease Mason Crosby in grade school, comparing him to that movie star midget guy. In sixth grade, Charles Woodson was teased mercilessly, his classmates calling him "Woody" in front of all the girls. Ryan Pickett was teased for being fat when he was a second grader. Donald Driver's brother used to steal Donald's last sandwich. Daryn Colledge's mother has the words "false start" tatooed on her left forearm. Brent Favre's wife ridicules his penis size.

Oh, wait. Never mind that last one.

Alone, abandoned by the entire world, these Packers have only each other. Friends, brothers in blood, they charge ahead, doing it for themselves and for each other.

Iron Mike
02-04-2011, 07:14 AM

IIRC, GB fans voted Lindy Infante as "Best Green Bay Coach EVAR" at one point.....

mraynrand
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Currahee!

denverYooper
02-04-2011, 11:58 AM
IIRC, GB fans voted Lindy Infante as "Best Green Bay Coach EVAR" at one point.....

Infante was COTY in 1989.