PDA

View Full Version : Pack dodges a bullet in free agency?

Rastak
08-10-2006, 09:08 AM
I wasnt a big fan of this guy anyway this free agency season......

From PFT.com:

LAVAR "WON'T BE 100 PERCENT" THIS YEAR

Amid reports that Giants linebacker LaVar Arrington's knee is still giving him trouble, there's a growing belief in league circles that Arrington "won't be 100 percent" in 2006.

And the words "degenerative knee condition" are now being mentioned in connection with Arrington, suggesting that he might never be much better than he is right now.

Arrington's knee, we've heard, raised flags in other cities in the offseason when he was looking for a new team. Eventually, he signed a contract that, while impressive on paper, requires him to be able to perform well in order to unlock the truly big money.

Subtracting the $4 million or so in earned but unpaid bonus money he waived with the Redskins in order to hit the free agent market early, Arrington doesn't stand to cash in with the Giants if he can't play at a high level.

For the Giants, the contract structure limited their risk, but they still took a chance on Arrington and, by all appearances, they lost.

Packnut
08-10-2006, 09:18 AM
My official apology to TT on this one. :cry:

pbmax
08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I love how this is treated as new news by reporters. This was talked about as one of the reasons the Redskins were happy to give up the contract, because they didn't think he would last the length of the deal.

And in fact, PFT was one of the places that reported it.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 05:54 PM
I love how this is treated as new news by reporters. This was talked about as one of the reasons the Redskins were happy to give up the contract, because they didn't think he would last the length of the deal.

And in fact, PFT was one of the places that reported it.

Re-call that telephone call that LaVar made to Favre.

Edit: Wrong. That should read:

Favre made to LaVar ( but I'm only joking - as I'm sure that Brett Favre would have welcomed Lavar Arrington ).

Scott Campbell
08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Sometimes the best moves you make are the guys you don't sign.

Bretsky
08-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Seeing we watched just about every good FA get signed while we sat on TT before piping up Wooden's annual salary to it all hits this year's cap, it looks like we made a lot of best moves then.

test
08-10-2006, 07:27 PM

Brett said:

NO ! :mrgreen:

What? I missed this. Link? Story?

MJZiggy
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
It was the other way around, test. It's the story where LaVar was almost convinced to come to GB after talking to BF, but chose to go closer to home and to a team that would play the Redskins.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418893

• LaVar Arrington, the free-agent linebacker who signed with the New York Giants, told NFL Network on Tuesday he nearly signed with the Packers and it was a phone call from Favre that almost made him a Packer.

"It came close to being Green Bay for a little while," Arrington said.

Without specifying, Arrington said he and his family decided what the Giants offered was "a great situation."

But a telephone conversation Arrington had with Favre nearly convinced him otherwise.

"We spoke briefly," Arrington said. "I almost pulled the trigger when he called. I mean, man, how many times do you get one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game calling you on the phone? He basically let me know it would mean a lot to him if I did come to Green Bay to try and help get things turned around. It got me emotionally tied up, man. You know, Brett Favre calling, asking for some help."

Bretsky
08-10-2006, 07:54 PM

Brett said:

After signing with the Giants, LA stated in an interview that he nearly went to Green Bay when Brett Favre gave him a personal call and tried to persuade him to come to the Packers. The converstation actually occured before Favre formally announced his return and while many were unnecessarily IMO bashing him for taking his time to make the decision.

Rastak
08-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Brett said:

After signing with the Giants, LA stated in an interview that he nearly went to Green Bay when Brett Favre gave him a personal call and tried to persuade him to come to the Packers. The converstation actually occured before Favre formally announced his return and while many were unnecessarily IMO bashing him for taking his time to make the decision.

Yea, I recall that also.

gbgary
08-10-2006, 08:58 PM
LAVAR "WON'T BE 100 PERCENT" THIS YEAR

whew!! that was close.

Scott Campbell
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM

Seeing we watched just about every good FA get signed while we sat on TT before piping up Wooden's annual salary to it all hits this year's cap, it looks like we made a lot of best moves then.

We could have also used a good interior offensive lineman like Bentley from the Browns.