PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant - "I Could Play On Sunday"

Scott Campbell
02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Ryan Grant: “I could play on Sunday”

Posted by Evan Silva on February 5, 2011, 2:52 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/ryan-grant-pic2.jpg?w=250The Packers placed an NFC-most 16 players on injured reserve during the regular season, among them starting running back Ryan Grant. Grant tore ligaments in his right ankle in Green Bay’s Week One win over Philadelphia, 27-20.
So it’s been nearly five months since the injury. Grant told NFL Network’s Albert Breer that he’s been fully healed for a month, which is good news in most respects but frustrating in others.
“I could play on Sunday,” said Grant. “Unfortunately (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e20339/article/grants-leadership-shines-from-the-packers-sidelines).”
The Packers could’ve tried keeping Grant on the roster in hopes of a late-season return, as the Steelers did with defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps). With a 10- to 12-week timetable for return, however, G.M. Ted Thompson made the decision to end Grant’s season and turn the backfield over to Brandon Jackson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4234) and John Kuhn.
Since, rookie James Starks has emerged as Green Bay’s feature runner.
The question is begged as to whether Grant is in Thompson’s plans for 2011. Grant is due $5.25 million in salary and bonuses (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3252) next season, but may have helped his chances of returning by staying with the team for his rehab. Many, if not most, injured players don’t do that.
“I’ve been up there in Green Bay for the most part, rehabbing,” said Grant, who recently turned 28. “Once I was not on crutches, once I was able to walk, I was on the sideline with the guys.
“They see my face and they know I’m riding with them, no matter what.”

denverYooper
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
The article from the "Unfortunately" link is titled "Grant's Leadership Shines from the Packers Sidelines" and takes that quote to a different end.

SavedByGrace
02-05-2011, 05:14 PM
UNFORTUNATELY for Ryan Grant, I don't think him being in the game will change our game plan. Pass first, pass second. Him running will only play into the Steelers' 3-4 scheme.

Tony Oday
02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I wouldnt want Grant in there after how long he has been off...get perfect for next year!

RashanGary
02-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I feel worst for Tausch and Grant. Two of the most committed, reliable guys on the team.

Fritz
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I thought when Torance Marshall was in Green Bay he was the most-likely-to-be-committed guy on the field.

Carolina_Packer
02-05-2011, 09:16 PM
It would have costed the Packers a roster spot to roll the dice on his return this year. I don't know if it would have been worth it. I'd have hated to see him get hurt again. He'll definitely be 100% next year!

SkinBasket
02-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Stupid article. We wouldn't have kept a spot open all season for an injured player and couldn't have guessed we would play this deep into the season, and had no way of knowing when Grant could play again. Unless this Silva fella had a crystal ball almost half a year ago, his article amounts to a pile of random words.

swede
02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm glad he's feeling better, but it is Finley we needed today, not Grant.

Cleft Crusty
02-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Stupid article. We wouldn't have kept a spot open all season for an injured player and couldn't have guessed we would play this deep into the season, and had no way of knowing when Grant could play again. Unless this Silva fella had a crystal ball almost half a year ago, his article amounts to a pile of random words.

The 1998 Packers did exactly this. Dorsey Levens was injured in the second week of the season against Tampa with almost exactly the same injury as Grant. He returned to start the 15th week against Chicago. That's exactly three months from when he was injured. He was completely in stride in the playoff 'loss' to San Francisco in the Wild Card round. Every injury is different, and every circumstance surrounding an injured player is different, but it's hard to believe that Grant couldn't have come back for a playoff run, had the Packers been able to keep him on the 53. To be fair, there are other issues to consider, such as whether Levens - or any player - with that type of injury should be returning in the same season. There are orthopedic surgeons I've talked to who think it's putting a player at significant risk for a longer term problem. But of course, that all depends exactly on the severity of the original injury. Grant could have been worse than Levens. Clefty has not been allowed access to the X-rays.

swede
02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Clefty has not been allowed access to the X-rays.

In fairness, they don't give you access to the x-rays because your medical hardware and orthopedic plates start to glow and set off the fire alarms.

I think the team was limited in its ability to carry injured players because of the sheer number that came with this season. Most disappointing is Finley's post-surgical infection. One wonders if he spilled Kool-aid on the dressings and wiped it up with a cheeseburger wrapper.

MJZiggy
02-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Swede's right, maybe Grant could play, maybe. But MAYBE 8 of the 16 on IR might have been able to play too. You can't keep roster spots for all of them because you have to have guys to come in to play the games.

Bretsky
02-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe if we stash a spot for Grant we never sign Eric Walden, who was KEY in our defeat of da Bears at the end of the year

Honestly soon it might be debateable which RB is better served for this offense anyways. Starks seems to have a smoothness
catching passes that I've never seen from Grant

Bretsky
02-06-2011, 12:10 PM

But we could have IR'd Atari Bigby instead.......lol

MadtownPacker
02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Im glad Grant isnt playing. His style doesnt seem to mix well with the Steelers grinding D. Prefer Starks for this game.

Bossman641
02-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Swede's right, maybe Grant could play, maybe. But MAYBE 8 of the 16 on IR might have been able to play too. You can't keep roster spots for all of them because you have to have guys to come in to play the games.

Agreed. Would have been nice to keep Grant or Finley on the 53 man roster all year but it wasn't a possibility when the rash of injuries hit.

mraynrand
02-06-2011, 01:37 PM
In fairness, they don't give you access to the x-rays because your medical hardware and orthopedic plates start to glow and set off the fire alarms.

bump LOL

Brandon494
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Grant, I don't want if you could be playing today. I want to know if Finley could have made it back by playoff time. I know Aaron struggled early in the season trying to force the ball to Finley but with Finley we go from a top 10 offense to a top 5.

MJZiggy
02-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Grant, I don't want if you could be playing today. I want to know if Finley could have made it back by playoff time. I know Aaron struggled early in the season trying to force the ball to Finley but with Finley we go from a top 10 offense to a top 5.

Uh honey, at the moment we're not a top 10 or a top 5 offense. We're a top 1 offense...WoooHOOOOO!!!!