PDA

View Full Version : Nondescript players = Super Bowl Glory

esoxx
02-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Larry Brown, Timmy Smith, Jermaine Lewis, Max McGee...to name a few. The Super Bowl often times is a quirky game that can be decided by the lesser known players that round out a team's roster. The essence of team, the entire roster, suddenly is thrust into the worldwide spotlight.

Here's my picks of the "lesser knowns" that will rock this game (of course, with a Packer slant):

1. Frank Zombo - I don't see Walden going. I see Zombo, lined up opposite Jonathon "Feet of Cement" Scott, having a major impact on this game. Zombo is raring to go and the Steelers may think they're catching a break. They're not. Call it a hunch.

2. James Jones - Love him or hate him, Jones has skills. His problem is consistency. He will shine in the Packers four wide, spread 'em out, offense. Hot reads by Rodgers will be a key element. Steelers zone blitz is the sickness, Jones will be the cure.

3. Mason Crosy - Again, love him or hate him, Crosby has a big leg and is Major League. If the game comes down to it, he will nail the coffin shut on the Steelers dreams of glory. Feel the pain, Steel Town.

4. James Starks - Yah, yah, I know. Steelers have a dominant run defense. However, I think they're geeked up knowing Rodgers is a big time slayer in the type of clean, fast surface they're going to play on. Steelers are not dumb. They know Rodger is the head of the snake they need to cut off. I still expect Packers to spread them out. However, I think Starks can hurt them and will be overlooked. He likely won't get 100 yards, but his average gain per carry will be enough to keep Steelers honest and he may pop a big run or two.

Let's Rock!!!!

pbmax
02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a buddy who thinks the Packers can make hay by going single back, 3 Wide+TE or 4 Wide and run it like the Old Redskins. Only base it on Steeler D personnel. Base=pass, nickel=run.

Timmy Smith, here we come.

esoxx
02-05-2011, 11:04 PM
pb, I think you and your buddy are on to something:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703833204576114210952250824.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

The Green Bay Packers' James Starks is on his way to becoming the next Timmy Smith, a rookie running back who comes from out of nowhere in the postseason. Mr. Starks can only hope that the career similarities end there.

Reuters

Green Bay Packers running back James Starks
With just 38 rushing yards in the Super Bowl, Mr. Starks would become the second NFL player ever, after Mr. Smith, to rush for 200 yards more during the postseason than he did during the same regular season. As a rookie with the 1987 Washington Redskins, Mr. Smith shocked the world with a 204-yard rushing performance in Super Bowl XXII. But Mr Smith was out of the league two seasons later and spent two years in prison on a cocaine-distribution conviction in 2006.

Mr. Starks, a sixth-round draft pick in 2010, had injury woes at the start of the season and struggled to crack the Packers' lineup despite the team's run-game struggles after Ryan Grant got hurt. But Mr. Starks broke out in the team's playoff opener, rushing for 123 yards against the Eagles, and then he wore down the Falcons and Bears with 140 combined rushing yards.

The Super Bowl has featured some unexpected rushing stars, and Mr. Starks could be the next in line. But none of the players on this list ever went on to greatness. Neither Mr. Smith nor the other three runners on the list ever ran for more than 470 yards in any subsequent season.

—Eric Edholm
Difference-Makers
Here are the running backs with the biggest difference between postseason and regular-season rushing yards.

PLAYER REG-SEASON YDS POSTSEASON YDS DIFFERENCE
Timmy Smith, 1987 Redskins 126 342 216
James Starks, 2010 Packers 101 263 162
Zack Crockett, 1995 Colts 0 161 161
Brian Mitchell, 1992 Redskins 70 147 77
Aaron Craver, 1992 Dolphins 9 85 76

denverYooper
02-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I still think Jordy's going to kill it tomorrow.

Rodgers. Nelson. Bomb. Belt.

Bretsky
02-05-2011, 11:32 PM
the curse of Bretsky could be forever remembered

esoxx
02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Walden out, Zombo in. C'mon Frankie!!

Also having a good feeling about Charlie Peprah in this one.

Smidgeon
02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I still think Jordy's going to kill it tomorrow.

Rodgers. Nelson. Bomb. Belt.

Good call. 140 yards and a TD.

gbgary
02-06-2011, 11:03 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/dosoctaves/PressGazetteSBextra.jpg