PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers--media perspective

Packers4Glory
02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Sorry if this is a repost from another thread....

But this thinking that there are STILL fans who wonder if making the change was the right thing to do when they let Favre go. How true is this? Even LeRoy Butler has talked about this fact earlier this week. They keep using this as a talking point and a "final step" for Rodgers to step out of Favre's shadow.

I get people maybe questioning it before the 1st season began..but Rodgers play since week 1 of that season has been evidence that it was time to end the madness and uncertainty.

I just can not fathom actual Packer fans still questioning and as Butler said "rooting for Rodgers to fail". To me this smacks of media sensationalism and less of facts. Every team has a group of wacko fans on the fringes so I'm sure there are some weirdo retards out there.

I just don't like those minority .008% getting so much media time when talking about my beloved team. It makes the rest of us look like retards.

MJZiggy
02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Sorry if this is a repost from another thread....

But this thinking that there are STILL fans who wonder if making the change was the right thing to do when they let Favre go. How true is this? Even LeRoy Butler has talked about this fact earlier this week. They keep using this as a talking point and a "final step" for Rodgers to step out of Favre's shadow.

I get people maybe questioning it before the 1st season began..but Rodgers play since week 1 of that season has been evidence that it was time to end the madness and uncertainty.

I just can not fathom actual Packer fans still questioning and as Butler said "rooting for Rodgers to fail". To me this smacks of media sensationalism and less of facts. Every team has a group of wacko fans on the fringes so I'm sure there are some weirdo retards out there.

I just don't like those minority .008% getting so much media time when talking about my beloved team. It makes the rest of us look like retards.
The Post this morning...http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/05/AR2011020503169.html?hpid=topnews

MadtownPacker
02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Who gives a fuck about that. I wondered if Rodgers could be the guy but he has proven it long ago. Today Rodgers gets to write his legend. Wish the game would start cuz I cant wait to see it.

Packers4Glory
02-06-2011, 10:47 AM
The Post this morning...http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/05/AR2011020503169.html?hpid=topnews

Maybe I detached myself from the situation but I never felt like the Favre Rodgers relationship ever got personal between the 2 guys. Sure Favre didn't seemingly go out of his way w/ Rodgers but at the same time you can clearly see Rodgers had picked up some Favre like mannerisms on the field. I also think he learned what kind of teammate he wanted to be having seen Favre somewhat more detached in the later years of his career. I just don't foresee any negative comments about each other in the press.

The idea that real Packer fans would rather lose w/ Favre just is that .008%. And those are fans of the player, not the team. those are a section of bandwagon fans who switched teams wherever Favre went.

MJZiggy
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Maybe I detached myself from the situation but I never felt like the Favre Rodgers relationship ever got personal between the 2 guys. Sure Favre didn't seemingly go out of his way w/ Rodgers but at the same time you can clearly see Rodgers had picked up some Favre like mannerisms on the field. I also think he learned what kind of teammate he wanted to be having seen Favre somewhat more detached in the later years of his career. I just don't foresee any negative comments about each other in the press.

The idea that real Packer fans would rather lose w/ Favre just is that .008%. And those are fans of the player, not the team. those are a section of bandwagon fans who switched teams wherever Favre went.

That's true. I've heard that Favre was better with him in his last season with the team--and you can learn a lot by watching and sharing the same coaches...some of the comments on that article were pertinent.

swede
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Excellent points! There may be some distance between the two, but Aaron handled himself very professionally in a difficult situation, and, to his credit, Favre never seemed interested in making it about Aaron. He had problems with Ted and Mike.

That Washington Post article discredited its own flimsy premise halfway down when it said that Aaron has the full support of the fan base. With apologies to Cleft, one wonders how so many sports writers can be as dim as they seem without getting lost in the subway on the way to work.

Packers4Glory
02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
of course it was just a couple clips here and there, but NFL network talked about Favre/Rodgers today, and the clips they showed the 2 talking and laughing at various points. I think as Swede says, Favre's issues were w/ management. I don't think the 2 players disliked each other, nor were they bust buddies either. In fact Rodgers prob didn't have hard feelings at all until the retirement, and then un-retirement. If there was any rift or hard feelings, it was at that moment the 2 totally went their separate ways.

either way I guess I'm one of the few that likes both guys. I don't pretend to know the inside details or understand everything that went down. All I know is I have a ton of great memories from Favre, and Rodgers is making his own legend in winning and how great he has taken the mantle and bridged one generation to another.

I tell ya what, as a Packer fan I can't feel luckier to have such great QB play with no stop gap in between.

gbgary
02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
the media have irked me every time they bring up bf...as if he's the least bit relevant at this point. AR is NOT in any shadow cast by that guy. he left three years ago, burned the bridge, and embarrassed himself and any bf supporting fans that remained. this is the Rodgers era...he casts the shadows now!!

pbmax
02-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Kornheiser has been on the BF kick too. Saying he hangs over the team like Banquo's ghost. But at this point, Kornheiser is so far removed from the day to day realities of sports, his commentary is really just about other media. It actually bears no relation to the game or team at hand.

However, should the result go against the Packers, expect more of this twaddle.

http://twitter.com/MrTonySays/status/32929455039057920

Patler
02-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I think the members of Packerland have mostly all moved on. Many hated to give up what they knew the Packers to be for the last 10 years or so, - Brett Favre and a bunch of other guys. Favre going to NY and playing well did little to relieve their anxiety, in spite of Rodgers fine play. Favre manipulating matters to play in MN changed things for some other Packer fans, and his interception in the playoff game highlighted for others just why the Packers maybe never could win another SB with Favre. The fiascoes this year involving Favre, and his poor play convinced most everyone else that regardless of what happened in 2008, 2010 would not have been a Super Bowl year if Favre were still here, and if Favre had stayed in 2008/2009 Rodgers would be gone, or maybe not yet ready.

Packer fans moved on in stages, but all have moved on. Some in the media are trying to create drama that just isn't there.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I think the members of Packerland have mostly all moved on. Many hated to give up what they knew the Packers to be for the last 10 years or so, - Brett Favre and a bunch of other guys. Favre going to NY and playing well did little to relieve their anxiety, in spite of Rodgers fine play. Favre manipulating matters to play in MN changed things for some other Packer fans, and his interception in the playoff game highlighted for others just why the Packers maybe never could win another SB with Favre. The fiascoes this year involving Favre, and his poor play convinced most everyone else that regardless of what happened in 2008, 2010 would not have been a Super Bowl year if Favre were still here, and if Favre had stayed in 2008/2009 Rodgers would be gone, or maybe not yet ready.

Packer fans moved on in stages, but all have moved on. Some in the media are trying to create drama that just isn't there.

If only the national media could have gotten Vikes-Pack in the playoffs last season. Then they could have gotten it out of their system.