PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Roster - How many players will be on other teams around the league?

ThunderDan
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I was just reflecting on what we will see in 2011, if there is a season. We have a 53 man roster that has gotten us to the Super Bowl, 16 players on the IR plus 8 on the practice squad (and 1 more counting Jolly). That's 78 players for 53 roster spots without counting our draft picks in 2011. Obviously we aren't going to resign every player that is on the team but there it should be one heck of a competitive training camp this year.

Here is the roster by position:

QB: Rodgers, Flynn, G Harrell
RB: Jackson, Starks, Nance and Grant
FB: Johnson, Kuhn, Hall
WR: Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Swain
TE: Lee, Quarless, Crabtree and Finley, Havner
C: Wells, Spitz
G: Colledge, Sitton, Lang, McDonald, Dietrich-Smith
T: Clifton, Bulaga and Tauscher, Newhouse

NG: Raji, Green
DT: Jenkins, Pickett, Wilson, Wynn and Neal, Harrell, Jolly
OLB: CMIII, Zombo, Briggs, Walden, Francois and Jones, Poppinga
ILB: Hawk, Bishop, Wilhelm and Barnett, Chillar
CB: Woodson, TWill, Shields, Lee, Underwood, Gordy and Bell
S: Collins, Peprah, Bigby, Bush and Burnett, Morgan, Smith, Levine

ST: Crosby, Masthay, Goode

With that much talent on the roster it does seem likle that TT would bundle picks to try and get 3 or 4 guys that could help the team. There just aren't going to be 7 open spots on the roster this year.

Here are what I see as needs: OT, WR/KR, OLB, dime CB

I was going to put down who I thought was most likely not going to be back but there I remember all of the crazy rosters we have had over the last couple of years (by position i.e. 4 TEs) and desided not to try at this point.

bobblehead
02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Just off the top of my head we lose the following be it FA, cut or trade:

Flynn, Nance, Hall/Kuhn (one), Lee, Havner, Spitz, College, Green, Jenkins, Wynn, Wilhelm, Every DB but the main 3, Morgan, smith and levine.

bundling picks doesn't guarantee success, more picks might be more valuable in finding 4 guys than 4 higher picks would be.

Cleft Crusty
02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Sometimes I find this board to be very strange. What fan talks of things like this on the day of a Championship game? There's already the prospect of an extended off-season, with no FA movement, no OTAs, and little or no news of any kind, and you waste Superbowl Sunday on this off-season drivel? Crusty is perplexed.

ThunderDan
02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Just off the top of my head we lose the following be it FA, cut or trade:

Flynn, Nance, Hall/Kuhn (one), Lee, Havner, Spitz, College, Green, Jenkins, Wynn, Wilhelm, Every DB but the main 3, Morgan, smith and levine.

bundling picks doesn't guarantee success, more picks might be more valuable in finding 4 guys than 4 higher picks would be.

I would give up 4 picks to move up and draft another CMIII.

I think we are not at the point where TT wants 7 or 10 new bodies in camp because the bottom of the roster is so bad like 2005 and 2006.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Sometimes I find this board to be very strange. What fan talks of things like this on the day of a Championship game? There's already the prospect of an extended off-season, with no FA movement, no OTAs, and little or no news of any kind, and you waste Superbowl Sunday on this off-season drivel? Crusty is perplexed.

Booze, self pleasure and speculation. Only one of those things can be kept up all day until game time. Unless you are Red.

swede
02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I'll take "-ations" for $100, Alex.

Booze, self pleasure and speculation.

What are "libation, masturbation, and rosterbation"?

denverYooper
02-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll take "-ations" for $100, Alex.

What are "libation, masturbation, and rosterbation"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGp-P5K-w8Q&feature=related

ThunderDan
02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Bump

Guiness
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Do we have official crusty guy permission to discuss it now?

bobblehead
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I would give up 4 picks to move up and draft another CMIII.

I think we are not at the point where TT wants 7 or 10 new bodies in camp because the bottom of the roster is so bad like 2005 and 2006.

So would I....if you guarantee me CMIII

SkinBasket
02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Why would we abandon the system of building through the draft immediately after proving how deep of a team we've assembled? This isn't baseball where you're trading tomorrow for today if you're close to the play-offs, and we've all seen just how high the failure rate is in FA or trades. I think we continue drafting like we always have, let the players who haven't made the most of their time walk for inflated money (Jenkins, Jones), and develop the guys we've been working with.

Next year could see a slight alteration in the tilt of our offense with Finley and Grant coming back, making the TE position more dangerous and our running game a little more respectable, which in turn makes a player like Jones even more expendable.

Reworking Hawk into a longer, cheaper deal would be nice. But the only thing I would like to see outside the draft is a strong offer to that African DB from the raiders.

Noodle
02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Agree with Skin on this, especially his very good points about Hawk and trying to pick up Asomugha.

When Woodson and Shields went out, all I could think of was -- damn, our great secondary sure got mediocre in a hurry. Watching Bush trying to cover the rest of the game (yeah, great pick, but a lot of stupid stuff too) just confirmed that you can never be too deep at DL or CB.

And I bet GB got a whole lot more attractive as a destination after last night.

Fritz
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
As long as no free agents visit it until May or June.

Bretsky
02-07-2011, 08:59 PM
The raider CB will never happen
He's giving lip music to wanting to win
He'll go to whoever gives him the monster contract
Take it to the Bank

Guiness
02-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Take it to the Bank

That's such a tough call. From everything I've seen and heard from him money is not going to be the deciding factor.

There are a few things that are going to affect his decision. By all accounts, he donates a lot of money to charities and schools back in Nigeria. I don't just mean large by the standards, I mean a significant portion of his income. So, if he took a pay cut of several million, I don't think it would actually affect him. Question is, would it bother him that it was affecting others...that he couldn't donate as much money as before?

I think the problem is more that even if he took a significant pay cut, he's still out of our price range. Woodson, Collins and now Tramon all make good coin. How much can you spend on the secondary?

I've been to Nigeria a couple of times. It's an awful place. In my opinion, about the worst place on earth that isn't actively at war.

ThunderDan
02-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Bump

vince
02-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Take it to the Bank
Atta boy B. Keep up the whammy!

vince
02-12-2011, 07:35 AM
If Thompson sees an opportunity to get value, he'll go up to get someone, but he's not going to force anything because of the state of the roster. Thompson flat out drafts for value,and he's not going to give up picks to move up just because the roster's "full," and that won't ever change.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-12-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm not so sure TT doesn't go after Asomugha. If I remember correctly wasn't TT that said a while back that CB's are the hardest players to draft? If he can get another Woodson in free agency I don't see way he wouldn't go for it. We have the most talented team in the league and if you can add another shut down corner that is never a bad idea. But to do that we would have to see Jenkins, Jones, and probably Colledge walk. We can't pay big bucks to keep our own players if we are signing players like Asomugha.

I don't see how you can say for sure TT will or will not go after this guy. You just never know with TT. He went after that old Redskin LB, Moss, Woodson, Pickett, Chillar, and I remember reading a article that he tired to trade for the Rams RB a few years ago. So he does do other thing besides draft and as I said before a remember him saying that he thinks CB's are the hardest to hit on (I could be wrong).

Either way I won't be mad. TT has proven that drafting and resigning your own builds a deep and talented roster. If he signs Asomugha Great, if not, them like skin said I still hope he drafts like he always does.

RashanGary
02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
I'll take Skin's post, subtract the Asomogha part and pretty much agree. Just keep going forward only now we have to start letting a few guys go because the cap will get in the way if we don't. I'd rather let Jenkins and Jones go today than have to choose between Raji and Clay tomorrow.

swede
02-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm not so sure TT doesn't go after Asomugha...
I don't see how you can say for sure TT will or will not go after this guy. You just never know with TT. He went after that old Redskin LB, Moss, Woodson, Pickett, Chillar, and I remember reading a article that he tired to trade for the Rams RB a few years ago. So he does do other thing besides draft and as I said before a remember him saying that he thinks CB's are the hardest to hit...

Going shopping for used cars with my dad was agony. We'd look at the '74 Olds Cutlass with that huge 8 cylinder engine and the sexy interior and he'd banter with the salesman and inside I'm going, "Please please please he's only 300 bucks off your price dad for gawdsakes LOOK at that car pay the man what he wants..." but we would end up driving home in our '68 Ford Galaxy 500 for another year.

If the salesman had come down 300 bucks we'd have had that car.

If A'mugah comes down to TT's price we'll have our next pro-bowl corner.