PDA

View Full Version : Leaguewide embarrassment

SkinBasket
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I am, of course, referring to the 15 yard penalty called on Collins for his "excessive" celebration following his INT return for a TD. The commissioner needs to go fuck himself repeatedly with a cactus. At least the phantom facemask call was just a blown call. This was nothing but pure horseshit and another example of over-regulation instead of simply allowing the officials to determine what is and isn't excessive within the context of the game.

gbpackfan
02-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Ya, they need to look at the celebration crap. That is so stupid. And the facemask penality was BS, but we won anyway so FUCK 'EM!

gbgary
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
not to mention swaim's catch.

superfan
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I was too busy excessively celebrating myself to say whether or not it was a valid call.

digitaldean
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, there some bogus calls in this game. Thankfully they didn't come back to bite us. Collins' celebration was TAME compared to the BS that goes on the field of play, let alone in the endzone.

Let's hope Goodell and the competition committee clears up some of the crap like that (AFTER they get a new CBA done of course)

Kiwon
02-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Another embarrassment was Goodell not recognizing (and making it seem like he didn't know) Mark Murphy's name on the grandstand when he was presenting the trophy. The guy was standing right next to him and he did not acknowledge him. Very unprofessional.

mmmdk
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM

Yup, catch ! Then fumble and GB fumble recovery.

But we, Packers, are CHAMPS !

digitaldean
02-06-2011, 10:29 PM
THe other embarrassment was the seating fiasco. I see some class action lawsuits vs. the NFL in this debacle.

Let us hope and pray that Dallas doesn't get to host a SB for a LONG LONG LONG time!!!

Noodle
02-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd say the game coverage overall was an embarrassment. Fox was so busy running to the ads that we didn't get a number of key replays or game analysis. Very disappointing from a fan's perspective.

RashanGary
02-06-2011, 10:37 PM
15 yard excessive celebration. Player went to ground after touch down.

I was wondering the same thing. . . WTF was that. But the whole game I never felt any weirdness in our direction. That was one bad play. A couple years ago, the 6-10 year, I seriously believed there was some sort of conspiracy. We were the most penalized team in the league and it seemed like we'd get 5 ticky tack fouls while the opposition would rip our guys down from behind and not get holding. Oh well, that got us Raji/Clay. We might not be here if not for that bad penalty year.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I thought this post was going to be about Jones and Nelson's hands, but even so, I agree with it.

But dammit Tramon, get away from those punted and bouncing balls!!!

pbmax
02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I was too busy excessively celebrating myself to say whether or not it was a valid call.

It was a pretty sweet move, even if it was soccer-esque. But another case where the letter of the law disallows something very harmless. Its not like he was doing to worm in teh endzone.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Another embarrassment was Goodell not recognizing (and making it seem like he didn't know) Mark Murphy's name on the grandstand when he was presenting the trophy. The guy was standing right next to him and he did not acknowledge him. Very unprofessional.

I thought he said Mark, didn't he? Murphy is on the CBA committee and used to intern for other in the NFL offices, Goodell has to know him.

packerbacker1234
02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I understand the need to control how escessive celebrations are over the course of a season. Players were taking it too far with sharpes and cell phones, and team wide celebrations waisting time.

However this is the super bowl, A Player just picked off the ball and returned it for 6. Is he not supposed to be excited? Is he, and the rest of the defense, supposed to contain themselves? He fell to both knees and opened his arms wide and looked up - and as the referee said it he got the penalty for going to the "ground" to celebrate.

I'm sorry: This is the super bowl - you do not penalize for that sort of celebration in the biggest games of their life. Sure if he "taunted" the opponent yes, penalize. But that was just a pure outburst of excitement. Let them have their fun - it's not every day a defender gets a pick six in the super bowl.

MJZiggy
02-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I understand the need to control how escessive celebrations are over the course of a season. Players were taking it too far with sharpes and cell phones, and team wide celebrations waisting time.

However this is the super bowl, A Player just picked off the ball and returned it for 6. Is he not supposed to be excited? Is he, and the rest of the defense, supposed to contain themselves? He fell to both knees and opened his arms wide and looked up - and as the referee said it he got the penalty for going to the "ground" to celebrate.

I'm sorry: This is the super bowl - you do not penalize for that sort of celebration in the biggest games of their life. Sure if he "taunted" the opponent yes, penalize. But that was just a pure outburst of excitement. Let them have their fun - it's not every day a defender gets a pick six in the super bowl.

Dingdingdingdingding!!! It's the freaking Super Bowl, his first. And he scores a friggin' touchdown. Give him a few seconds to revel in it and tell him to get his ass up.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Its all in the eye of the beholder. I thought the Sharpie was great. The cell phone was a reminder of every annoying person you come across yelling to an invisible someone while in a restaurant or other public spot.

denverYooper
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Its all in the eye of the beholder. I thought the Sharpie was great. The cell phone was a reminder of every annoying person you come across yelling to an invisible someone while in a restaurant or other public spot.

When I go senile, I'm going to get a bluetooth headset so people just think I'm wheeling and dealing.

SkinBasket
02-07-2011, 05:58 AM
I'd say the game coverage overall was an embarrassment. Fox was so busy running to the ads that we didn't get a number of key replays or game analysis. Very disappointing from a fan's perspective.

YES!

Immediately after the win, we get to watch 4 minutes of commercials instead of watching our players revel in the confetti. Had to turn from "super bowl post game coverage" to espn to even have an indication that green bay just won the motherfucking game. That and Alzheimers and AIDS of the Head called another excruciatingly moronic game. Fox gets a 3.5 out of 10 for this one.

Fritz
02-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Agree on the endzone celebration call; double agree on Fox. B(uttf)uck and Ache-man were blathering on about everything but the game. Most of the second half, I kept yelling "Who the fuck is playing corner for the Pack, you assholes??? Is Shields in?"

Call the damn game. Screw the "atmosphere" and the narrative. Call the damn game.

Kiwon
02-07-2011, 07:07 AM
I thought he said Mark, didn't he? Murphy is on the CBA committee and used to intern for other in the NFL offices, Goodell has to know him.

I think he said something like "the president" without saying his name. Terry Bradshaw then made a point of saying 'Mark Murphy' and restating his title immediately after Goodell step back.

I know Goodell knows the guy's name but I think the pressure of the big moment on live television gave him a brain freeze. He looked about as uncomfortable as TT did. But, that's no excuse. You're the Commissioner, it's your job to make the trophy presentation and you have to nail it.

HowardRoark
02-07-2011, 07:18 AM
"Going to the ground?" Half the guys (Jennings for sure) go down on their knee (on the ground) for a quick prayer after a TD.

Patler
02-07-2011, 07:22 AM
I kept yelling "Who the fuck is playing corner for the Pack, you assholes??? Is Shields in?"

My #1 complaint as well. But, its the way games are called now. In the past, announcers regularly stated when player substitutions were made, but with the mass substitutions on both sides of the ball in today's NFL, they have gotten away from it. But that is no excuse for not telling us when key players are out.

Half way through the second half I saw Shields on the field and wondered how long he had been playing. Later, I wondered if he was still playing. Only this morning did I learn that his return was very brief, with Witt saying that he had made a mistake putting him back in. The announcers should have picked up on his return to the field, and subsequent re-departure.

Patler
02-07-2011, 07:23 AM
"Going to the ground?" Half the guys (Jennings for sure) go down on their knee (on the ground) for a quick prayer after a TD.

I read once that going to one knee is permitted, going to two knees or their entire body is not.

OS PA
02-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I read once that going to one knee is permitted, going to two knees or their entire body is not.

wasn't Collins already on the ground though? Did he excessively not stand up in time?

mraynrand
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM

These are the kind of nitpicking rules that make the life of Ed Hochuli worth living

Guiness
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Agree on the endzone celebration call; double agree on Fox. B(uttf)uck and Ache-man were blathering on about everything but the game. Most of the second half, I kept yelling "Who the fuck is playing corner for the Pack, you assholes??? Is Shields in?"

Call the damn game. Screw the "atmosphere" and the narrative. Call the damn game.

That was awful! I was flipping out trying to figure who was in coverage all the way into the 4th quarter. No mention when Shield came back, or he went back out. On Wallace's TD catch, I was screaming "who was that? Bush? Jesus Christ!"

HowardRoark
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
That was awful! I was flipping out trying to figure who was in coverage all the way into the 4th quarter. No mention when Shield came back, or he went back out. On Wallace's TD catch, I was screaming "who was that? Bush? Jesus Christ!"

When did we pick up Jesus? And how is it possible he was available?

pbmax
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM

He had just come off IR. Matthew 28:6 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+28:6&version=NIV)

mraynrand
02-07-2011, 11:43 AM

I don't understand how you missed him. Maybe it was because he played only on 'teams:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/LordBigby.jpg

packerbacker1234
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM

You can't get flagged for a religious gesture (kneeling on one knee for a small moment of thought/prayer). What collins did was just excitement exploding out of him - not a prayerful gesture.

Either way, it was still BS and I hoped it gets addressed.

swede
02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
YEither way, it was still BS and I hoped it gets addressed.

I'm sure it will. They will address an envelope containing a notice of Nick's fine for excessive celebration.

ThunderDan
02-07-2011, 12:43 PM

I disagree. And agree all at the same time. I knew it was not going to be ruled not a catch because of the silly going to the ground rule. The same rule that took away Calvin Johnson's TD against the Bears. Swain clearly had 2 feet down and even a 3rd before the ball came out. But was in the process of "going to the ground".

mraynrand
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I disagree. And agree all at the same time. I knew it was not going to be ruled not a catch because of the silly going to the ground rule. The same rule that took away Calvin Johnson's TD against the Bears. Swain clearly had 2 feet down and even a 3rd before the ball came out. But was in the process of "going to the ground".

But was he 'going to the ground' as part of the catch, or did he catch the ball, turn, and then was going to the ground as part of the tackle? And then fumbled while being tackled. I think the latter. I'm pretty sure if Pittsburgh had recovered and challenged, they would have received the ball. But that's just me being paranoid.

channtheman
02-07-2011, 12:55 PM
But was he 'going to the ground' as part of the catch, or did he catch the ball, turn, and then was going to the ground as part of the tackle? And then fumbled while being tackled. I think the latter. I'm pretty sure if Pittsburgh had recovered and challenged, they would have received the ball. But that's just me being paranoid.

I disagree. The call was correct in the sense that the rule says it is not a catch. Very similar to the Atlanta catch in the second half that we challenged and was then ruled incomplete. Now whether the rule is good or not, is up to you. But it was the correct call.

ThunderDan
02-07-2011, 01:17 PM

No, I think the rule is pretty clear. Swain was going to the ground even though he had two feet down before he was touched. This was discussed in another thread that said if a guy catches a TD pass even if it is 4 steps later make sure you tackle him and hope the ball comes out.

I disagree with the rule.

bobblehead
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Yep, this. No taunt, no premeditated dance...no penalty in my book.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
This entire conversation about Swain is predicated on a false assumption: that the NFL actually understands and agrees on what exactly constitutes a catch.

Trust me and the below .500 Mike Pereira; they don't have a clue.

Freak Out
02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
You can't get flagged for a religious gesture

Not to sure about that....I saw a flag thrown for a impromptu on field nativity scene from the Saints special teams once.....delay of game I believe.

Fritz
02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I think I also saw a Catholic confession scene in the end zone called once, too. Not sure how confession is "excessive celebration," though.

red
02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
i have a feeling that if the swain call would have been ruled a catch and fumble on the field then it would not have been overturned if challenged

but it really is a complete freaking joke how no fan, no player, coaches or even the refs knows what is or isn't a catch these days

the collins penalty is just a joke. the super bowl is all about shit being over the top, the nfl has turned it into more of a show then an actual game, and they're somehow going to penalize a playing for showing some real joy?

everyone there in the stands, and all the people the nfl brought in for pregame and halftime were suppose to be showing how much fun they were having, and how happy they were. but not the players, heaven forbid they show any emotion

Freak Out
02-07-2011, 06:10 PM
What in the fuck was going on at halftime? I was a little confused by it all......did they actually do some GnR or was it all crazy robot head dancers and shit?

Lurker64
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
You can't get flagged for a religious gesture

Does it have to be a mainstream (say Judeo-Christian) religious gesture? Since I knew some Wiccans in college who threw some really wild parties.

Freak Out
02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Ugh.

Freak Out
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Does JSO block the posting of pictures from their site?

Joemailman
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Does JSO block the posting of pictures from their site?

Seems so. I have to save JSO images to my computer, upload them to my Photobucket account, and then link from there.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 08:27 PM
The NFL is just trying to prevent the success of BASEketball (first 25 seconds of vid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8WdDmAFcJw

pbmax
02-07-2011, 08:30 PM
What in the fuck was going on at halftime? I was a little confused by it all......did they actually do some GnR or was it all crazy robot head dancers and shit?

Yes, it was Sweet Child o Mine but I think that was a Rock Band hack to have Fergie singing. Axl is going to be hopping mad.

MadtownPacker
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
YES!

Immediately after the win, we get to watch 4 minutes of commercials instead of watching our players revel in the confetti. Had to turn from "super bowl post game coverage" to espn to even have an indication that green bay just won the motherfucking game. That and Alzheimers and AIDS of the Head called another excruciatingly moronic game. Fox gets a 3.5 out of 10 for this one.
Excellent thread and excellent points you wench. All of a sudden fucking "Glee" was on and I instantly wanted to puke.

Any of you notice at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters players went out of bounds and time still ran out ending the quarters?

Pugger
02-08-2011, 01:30 AM
I too think the penalty on Collins was a joke. Absolutely ridiculous. I didn't think Swain had that catch either and I was disappointed in MM for challenging it. I thought our chances of having it called a completed catch were poor.

denverYooper
02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I too think the penalty on Collins was a joke. Absolutely ridiculous. I didn't think Swain had that catch either and I was disappointed in MM for challenging it. I thought our chances of having it called a completed catch were poor.

I was ok with that challenge even though I thought it was not likely to be overturned. Given the uncertainty over what actually constitutes a catch, there was some chance he'd win and I thought the payoff there was worth a shot.

Patler
02-08-2011, 12:15 PM

I thought the challenge was excellent, not because he would win it, but because it would take a long time, slow things down, and maybe quench a bit of the fire building in the Steelers and their fans. A time out would do the same thing, but conveys a bit of an impression of panic. The Packers needed to break the action. Might as well challenge the ruling on the play, you might get lucky.

channtheman
02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I thought the challenge was excellent, not because he would win it, but because it would take a long time, slow things down, and maybe quench a bit of the fire building in the Steelers and their fans. A time out would do the same thing, but conveys a bit of an impression of panic. The Packers needed to break the action. Might as well challenge the ruling on the play, you might get lucky.

This was my exact line of thinking, and what I'd like to assume MM was thinking as well. He knew it wasn't a catch, but a challenge would like you said, slow things down and give the team a second to breath. Things were definitely not going our way at that point. Good challenge.

Guiness
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
The 'no tickets' embarrassment seems to be gaining some steam. Or at least there's a lot of press about it.

I don't think it will turn into the PR disaster some are claiming, but I do think the NFL better get it right or they might have a lawsuit on their hands. Also sounds like they're only refunding money to the 400 or so that they couldn't accommodate, not the couple of hundred that got shuffled from the stadium into the party plaza.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
The inevitable class action suit over the seats has been filed.

I generally think this sort of thing is foolish, but I actually agree with this one, the fans who missed out should get proper compensation. $10K a head doesn't seem out of line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14667512/lawsuit-filed-against-nfl-cowboys-jones-over-seating-fiasco

jpompo
02-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I was in temparary seats, I couldn't see the video board, those people wanted part in this lawsuit? I didn't think twice about it, I could see the field which is where every normal person should have their eyes focused anyway.

Although, it's nice that it couldn't have happened to a bigger pile of shit than Jones. Dallas sports radio was talking about what a nightmare it was for Dallas, how they're the laughing stock of the NFL, and how they'll never have the opportunity to host again.

channtheman
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I was in temparary seats, I couldn't see the video board, those people wanted part in this lawsuit? I didn't think twice about it, I could see the field which is where every normal person should have their eyes focused anyway.

Although, it's nice that it couldn't have happened to a bigger pile of shit than Jones. Dallas sports radio was talking about what a nightmare it was for Dallas, how they're the laughing stock of the NFL, and how they'll never have the opportunity to host again.

I usually laugh at these lawsuits but in this case, a promise was made to a fan to have seats with a good view. The NFL really can't put a price on this and one could argue 10k is not enough. Jones had 5 weeks to sort this out before the Super Bowl and he dropped the ball big time and straight up lied to fans. He needs to pay now.

MJZiggy
02-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I usually laugh at these lawsuits but in this case, a promise was made to a fan to have seats with a good view. The NFL really can't put a price on this and one could argue 10k is not enough. Jones had 5 weeks to sort this out before the Super Bowl and he dropped the ball big time and straight up lied to fans. He needs to pay now.

Goodell was quoted as saying the NFL will offer them seats at next year's game (not like it matters who's playing or anything), but Jones is a freaking billionaire. He shouldn't have to be sued to make it up to the fans. I don't think paying 3x face value (or whatever they paid the scalper) plus their hotel, meals (including the ones at his overfuckingpriced stadium), ground transportation (including parking at his overfuckingpriced stadium) and airfare, not to mention compensation for time off of work if they had to take some to make the trip because they had tickets to the game is too much to ask. I'm not sure $10k a head covers it.

MJZiggy
02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705610.html?nav=hcmodule

It seems we're not alone in our thoughts.

Little Whiskey
02-09-2011, 06:35 PM
I think they are now offering a ticket to any future Superbowl, airfare and hotel.

i also read that this just wasn't any group of fans, but some were dallas season ticket holders who were promised these seats when they purchased their PSL for 10k. gotta love jerry jones!

Guiness
02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I think they are now offering a ticket to any future Superbowl, airfare and hotel.

i also read that this just wasn't any group of fans, but some were dallas season ticket holders who were promised these seats when they purchased their PSL for 10k. gotta love jerry jones!

According to the article I linked to, you're off by a 0!:shock:

It said the PSL licenses were $100K.

I wonder why people with PSL's got put in temporary seating? Shouldn't they be in their regular seats? I wonder why they got shuffled.

As far as Dallas not getting it again...he sold 100,000 tickets. That's a lot of coin, and the NFL is all about money. He'll get it again.