PDA

View Full Version : PackerRats Postgame: How we won the Super Bowl

swede
02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Before the game I heard CMIII basically saying they were going to be very, very disciplined in their approach to the pass rush. They did not want the R'burger getting out of the pocket to make plays. No sacks that I remember, but they did follow that part of the game plan.

One of our cautions for potentially losing the games was dropped balls by the receivers and injuries. Since we had problems on both of those fronts I think we can count ourselves as very lucky that the Steelers didn't have more big plays on offense or defense.

We won. Did they win the way you thought they would?

RashanGary
02-06-2011, 10:52 PM
We turned the ball over three times and coughed it up zero. If not for that, we lose. Aaron played great. His mistakes were incompletions not turn overs.

superfan
02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Did they win the way you thought they would?

For the most part, yes. I had an expectation that if GB won, it would be on defense in the last possession. Not counting the victory formation. In many ways GB beat the Steelers at their own game - winning ugly, despite a number of mistakes.

Also, the early lead followed by the second half close call was not surprising - that felt awfully familiar.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Getting the lead was huge, as was stretching it to 11 twice. Really made Pittsburgh commit to the pass. If they had been able to grind and then play action (like first TD drive of 2nd half) I would have been even more concerned. Pack had one sack of Ben.

gbgary
02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/dosoctaves/PressGazetteSBextra.jpg

bobblehead
02-06-2011, 11:03 PM
It went like I thought. 40 passes 10 runs (estimate, didn't see the box). Rodgers was awesome. I thought we could blow them out that way, and if not for shields and woodson going down (together no less) I think it would have been ugly for them. As it was, despite all the regular season injuries we played the second half without the DPOY and still won. If we are healthy next season (finley mainly) and resign Jenkins it could be epic.

gbgary
02-06-2011, 11:05 PM
It went like I thought. 40 passes 10 runs (estimate, didn't see the box). Rodgers was awesome. I thought we could blow them out that way, and if not for shields and woodson going down (together no less) I think it would have been ugly for them. As it was, despite all the regular season injuries we played the second half without the DPOY and still won. If we are healthy next season (finley mainly) and resign Jenkins it could be epic.

11 for 52...4.7

Fritz
02-06-2011, 11:07 PM
The drops nearly killed me.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 11:08 PM
That really was a McCarthy game. Positive turnover ratio, make them drive the long field and capitalize on the short field.

But the way, short of one KO return and two penalties (one of which was completely avoidable), the Special Teams were OK.

pbmax
02-06-2011, 11:09 PM
The drops nearly killed me.

Rodgers was throwing through some portholes tonight. He was very good. A few wayward throws when he was dancing around the rush.

denverYooper
02-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Jordy with 140. Coulda been closer to 2 bills. Anyone get the 30-1 odds on that first TD?

packerbacker1234
02-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Rodgers didn't look too confortable int he pocket when the pressure was there - but when your hit 16+ times in the game it's hard to be expected to feel good. He just looked ackward at times.

However when afforded time Rodgers was spot on. Clifton eliminated Harrison's pass rush (proving why he is a pro bowl player this year).

Why did we really win? Look no further then an off comment after the game by Jennings. "We endured the loss of our #1 WR today". He was referring to Driver. Talk about the ultimate respect - and that resonates throughout the entire locker room. No one gets too high on the themselves. They play for each other.

swede
02-07-2011, 06:00 AM
I was also thinking this morning about the loss of Driver. MM was obviously attacking through the air as a game plan. I wonder how difficult it was to call the three, four, and even five receiver formations with DD out. How difficult was it to attack the middle of the field with Swain instead of DD?

I'll watch the game again tonight to look for changes in how we played, but right now I think MM and DC were resourceful and cool under pressure, like a pilot and co-pilot bringing a jumbo jet in for a safe landing with 3 of four engines out, making changes on the fly that aren't even in the fricking manual just to survive.

It helped that Aaron had only a handful of bad throws in almost 40 attempts!

Fritz
02-07-2011, 06:11 AM
I was remarking to my buddy last night that it must've been really hamstringing for Capers, too, to lose C-Wood, whose hybrid slot role had become so important. Oh, and not to have Shields for what, half of the second half? Geez, not really sure how long cuz the announcers wouldn't fucking call the game and tell us.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Dom said they had to play a lot more zone in the second half with both Shields and Wood out. Not sure if Shields coming back in alleviated that somewhat.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 07:07 AM
I was remarking to my buddy last night that it must've been really hamstringing for Capers, too, to lose C-Wood, whose hybrid slot role had become so important. Oh, and not to have Shields for what, half of the second half? Geez, not really sure how long cuz the announcers wouldn't fucking call the game and tell us.

Yes. I was not impressed with the broadcast. Terrible injury updates. I didn't know Driver was out until I saw the boot.

SkinBasket
02-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I didn't know Driver was out until I saw the boot.

That might have been because they said Shields and Driver would be back for the 2nd half. Turns out they were pretty much wrong on both counts.

SkinBasket
02-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Roethlisberger was able to rally the team from an 18-point deficit to within three points.

He had several opportunities to be one drive away from taking a lead. He hurt his knee early in the game. He's been playing with broken bones in a foot, a broken nose and several other injuries. His teammates believe in him. "He's a warrior," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He stayed in there. I think someone went at his knees, twisted his knee. His ankle was already bum, but he's always going to be a competitor to the end. That's why going into that two-minute drive I just knew we had a chance."

Ward is a fucking idiot. The rapist twisted his own knee trying to throw the ball and this assfuck is out there making shit up about our players going at his knees? Everything about the Steelers in their moment of loss has been pretty classy, except this.

Smidgeon
02-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Did anybody else find it interesting that Capers was using Bush as his Woodson/slot backup? It looked to me that he was playing (almost) the same hybrid role. Obviously he wasn't taking on TEs, but he was right there blitzing. While Bush isn't a good CB, he did better than 2009 and blitzed decently. Interesting.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Did anybody else find it interesting that Capers was using Bush as his Woodson/slot backup? It looked to me that he was playing (almost) the same hybrid role. Obviously he wasn't taking on TEs, but he was right there blitzing. While Bush isn't a good CB, he did better than 2009 and blitzed decently. Interesting.

Its almost tailor made for him. He is athletic and fast, but struggles with one on one coverage on the outside.

SkinBasket
02-07-2011, 09:11 AM

It might have had more to do with how bad he is in coverage instead of good he is at blitzing. Here's to hoping we never have to find out for sure.

ThunderDan
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I thought we did exactly what I said we would do. If it wasn't for the drops the game would have been closer to 41-27 instead of 31-25.

All I can think of is when we get Finley and Grant back next year the O is going to be dropping 35 week after week after week. With our D in the 3rd year as a 3-4 team we might be seeing 35-13 a lot next year. Good thing that will play away from MM's weakness of being able to win close games.

bobblehead
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Jordy with 140. Coulda been closer to 2 bills. Anyone get the 30-1 odds on that first TD?

I gave the $5 ticket to a female friend of mine who likes Jordy....DOH!!

bobblehead
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Rodgers didn't look too confortable int he pocket when the pressure was there - but when your hit 16+ times in the game it's hard to be expected to feel good. He just looked ackward at times.

However when afforded time Rodgers was spot on. Clifton eliminated Harrison's pass rush (proving why he is a pro bowl player this year).

Why did we really win? Look no further then an off comment after the game by Jennings. "We endured the loss of our #1 WR today". He was referring to Driver. Talk about the ultimate respect - and that resonates throughout the entire locker room. No one gets too high on the themselves. They play for each other.

I caught that too. This team is special when it comes to chemistry....he actually said we lost our #1 corner and our #1 reciever. These guys respect the veterans....who in turn earn that respect.

Guiness
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM

I (and I think everyone) caught that. It was off the cuff, so you know it wasn't rehearsed. Very classy.

Guiness
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Ward is a fucking idiot. The rapist twisted his own knee trying to throw the ball and this assfuck is out there making shit up about our players going at his knees? Everything about the Steelers in their moment of loss has been pretty classy, except this.

Considering the source, this shouldn't surprise you.

Why did he say that? Because if he'd had a chance, he would've went at Rodgers' knees, so he assumed that a Packer would do the same.

mraynrand
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I loved it when Jennings referred to Driver as their number one receiver. That was awesome.

rbaloha1
02-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Its better than putting Bush in coverage. Any one else nervous everytime Bush trots out to play defense?