PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy - I eat my crow gladly!

channtheman
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Well I am so glad I am eating this crow. But at the same time, I think MM has changed. Starting with the Giants game (calling play actions late in the game, keeping the pressure on the opposition) I think MM has done a wonderful job with his playcalling. Their have still been some times that I've scratched my head (couple of 3rd and short running the ball against the Bears in the regular season finale, and possibly the 4th quarter against the Eagles) BUT overall he has been calling great games. A big part of stuff not working is these receivers of ours that are so great dropping SO many passes. Jones alone has dropped 3 TD bombs since the Giants game. Alas, thank God we won in MM's 5th year though. Had we lost it would have been very unlikely we would ever win with him. Now we can start looking at DYNASTY! :D :D :D

gbgary
02-07-2011, 12:14 AM
me too. i was calling for everyones' head (except edgar's of course) a few years ago. you're right about him changing for the ny game. he didn't tighten up after the philly game. i think that game scared the hell out of him.

Fritz
02-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Showing some class, not only admitting it but starting the thread. Go you!

mmmdk
02-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Well I am so glad I am eating this crow. But at the same time, I think MM has changed. Starting with the Giants game (calling play actions late in the game, keeping the pressure on the opposition) I think MM has done a wonderful job with his playcalling. Their have still been some times that I've scratched my head (couple of 3rd and short running the ball against the Bears in the regular season finale, and possibly the 4th quarter against the Eagles) BUT overall he has been calling great games. A big part of stuff not working is these receivers of ours that are so great dropping SO many passes. Jones alone has dropped 3 TD bombs since the Giants game. Alas, thank God we won in MM's 5th year though. Had we lost it would have been very unlikely we would ever win with him. Now we can start looking at DYNASTY! :D :D :D

Sign me up! :smile:

Smeefers
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I never had a problem with MM, but I will eat crow when it comes to Jarrett Bush. That kid has really turned it around and I no longer call for his head on a stake. I was wrong.

Badgerinmaine
02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
I'll gladly eat any bad things I have said about Mike McCarthy, Jarrett Bush, James Jones. Ted Thompson, Jordy Nelson and anyone else whose name I have taken in vain...at least until next season. :-)
Seriously, while he's never been my kind of personality, the job MM did with an injury-riddled roster this year is pretty darned amazing. My hat's off to him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Personally, I don't think his play calling has changed all that much. He's run it a bit more in the postseason, but he's solid leads in every game. Then, in the Super Bowl he didn't go away from what you'd expect. He knew he had an advantage in the passing game and he wasn't afraid to throw it 41 times and run it 11 times.

RashanGary
02-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Personally, I don't think his play calling has changed all that much. He's run it a bit more in the postseason, but he's solid leads in every game. Then, in the Super Bowl he didn't go away from what you'd expect. He knew he had an advantage in the passing game and he wasn't afraid to throw it 41 times and run it 11 times.

Well, they definitely are executing better. The exact reason is tough to pinpoint. They said AR and MM have a meeting now late in the week to discuss how they want to attack the opposition. That started after the Detroit game. It seems whenever MM hits a road block he cuts back on volume. Maybe he did that again here, cut out a few plays that haven't been working well.

Whatever the case, the offense was underperforming until the stretch run. MM got them on track and that's all history is going to remember. Hopefully they can carry some of that into next year and keep this thing rollling.

mission
02-08-2011, 03:08 AM
You guys know I hated MM. Been in every thread saying I was wrong, just leaving my mark here. :)

woodbuck27
02-08-2011, 11:53 PM
If we go back to that loss to Detroit and the concussion to Aaron Rodgers and further back in this season as player after player went down to injury. Did anyone seriously believe our team would get to and win the Super Bowl? I mean seriously believe that would happen?

When we got past the Eagles I began to believe we had a real shot but not before that matchup. I felt we had a real shot at the Falcons and after that I really believed we would win the NFC. Aaron Rodgers Vs Jay Cutler equals a no contest. I really believed we'd defeat the Steelers as we had a better team overall.

The bottom line though was the fine effort all season to keep our team competitive given the terrible adversity it was faced with. That had to be handled by good managing and coaching. TT and MM and his coaching staff deserve alot of credit.

MM was my coach of the year. That man puts in his time very well and winning this season was huge for his confidence. Next season will be very interesting and out team can only improve.

GO PACK GO!