PDA

View Full Version : Waht does this mean?

HowardRoark
02-07-2011, 09:36 AM
See next post, still can't start a thread with quote box.

HowardRoark
02-07-2011, 09:38 AM
From JSO....screw the quote boxes...they never work.

Contract extensions for general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy should be forthcoming after the Packers won Super Bowl XLV on Sunday night.

Murphy said both Thompson and McCarthy would be hearing from team management soon.

"I deal with Ted and he deals with Mike," Murphy said. "I want both of them to be with the Green Bay Packers long-term."

Both Thompson and McCarthy have two years remaining on five-year contracts each received after the drive to the NFC Championship Game in January 2008.

When Murphy was asked why he couldn't be more definitive, he replied, "There's something you don't know." He declined to elaborate.

In September, a close friend of Thompson's said it wouldn't surprise him if Thompson left the grind of the GM's job sooner than later.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, we had 12 hours of no worry.

Howard, do you have a link? I didn't see that quote while reading JSO.

HowardRoark
02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Well, we had 12 hours of no worry.

Howard, do you have a link? I didn't see that quote while reading JSO.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/115462274.html

pbmax
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, Murphy does say he expects Ted to stay, so perhaps Ted is going to be given a new title? Seat on board or Exec Committee?

Lurker64
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Well, Murphy does say he expects Ted to stay, so perhaps Ted is going to be given a new title? Seat on board or Exec Committee?

Make him Mayor of Green Bay and offensive quality control coach if that's what it takes.

It's possible that "there's something you don't know" was a reference to how the Packers front office has to do business during the impending lockout, somehow. Alternatively it was just a "leave me alone" kind of answer.

Patler
02-07-2011, 11:30 AM
OK, I'll take a wild-ass guess.

It will be a "final" contract to TT with a defined succession plan to Reggie McKenzie as GM. McKenzie will assume more duties, TT will scale down and remain as a draft consultant after McKenzie takes over completely.

mraynrand
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
If I were Tank, I would suggest that maybe TT has AIDS. If I were me, I would guess that at 58, the job is exhausting and you can't do it forever

rbaloha1
02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
TT and MM are leading the Packers for the rest of the decade.

Lurker64
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
OK, I'll take a wild-ass guess.

It will be a "final" contract to TT with a defined succession plan to Reggie McKenzie as GM. McKenzie will assume more duties, TT will scale down and remain as a draft consultant after McKenzie takes over completely.

That makes a lot of sense.

bobblehead
02-07-2011, 02:41 PM
TT and MM are leading the Packers for the rest of the decade.

I certainly hope you get this ONE prediction correct....but your track record has me scared to death.

wootah
02-08-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't see the issue. How more definitive does he need to be regarding the contract negotiations? It's obvious that there are contract related matters, clauses and whatnot that journalists don't know. The link between "there's something you don't know" and "an unnamed friend says TT would leave the grind of the GM's job" is just an insinuation added by Silverstein. I can do this too.

When Murphy was asked why he couldn't be more definitive, he replied, "There's something you don't know." He declined to elaborate.

In October, an unnamed friend said he helped Thompson emptying the moving van of his closest friend Skinbasket in Ohio.

"I'm very confident Ted is going to stay with the Packers," said Murphy.

Be afraid... In all seriousness, I would be very surprised to see TT retire. Football is literally his life and has been since he grew up. He likes doing this, otherwise he would stay in his office and read some football messageboards online instead of going to all the practices of the Dixie Rotary Bowl. THANKSTED!

mission
02-08-2011, 06:40 AM
I saw this thread title and knew exactly what the question was because I was wondering the same thing.

Can't imagine another GM any time soon. Hopefully we have at least a couple more years from TT if he's planning to step down.

Fritz
02-08-2011, 06:55 AM
I think what we don't know is that Murphy's wife had just sent him a photo of herself in a thong and nothing else, and he wanted to get his ass home so he could do his wife.