PDA

View Full Version : Drops

channtheman
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
What is the reason for the drops our receivers constantly have? All year there was only one complete game the receivers played and we dominated that game (Atlanta). If the receivers wouldn't drop passes, more of our games would look like that. The Super Bowl would have been a blowout but we had a case of the dropsies. And I don't buy that it was "Super Bowl jitters" as our receivers have had clunkers of games ALL season long.

Does anyone know WHY these guys drop so many (seemingly) easy catches?

PA Pack Fan
02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Depends on your definition of drops.

In my opinion, James Jones had a "drop". An easy catch right to the breadbasket in stride.
Swain had a drop, although a few d guys helped him "drop" it.
Jordy has 3 huge drops. Problem is, he redeems himself 2 plays later! The possible td at the end was killer, but a difficult catch, not really a drop.

But the 100mph fastballs on a 10 yard slant or quickie are not drops. They are almost uncatchable. Jordie gets called out for a few of those, but they are not really drops. A-Rod needs to take a little off those, as they seldom get caught.

HowardRoark
02-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Sometimes the catches look like they are so easy it makes me think they are shocked that the ball is there; their brains aren't wired for what is going on in front of them.

denverYooper
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Depends on your definition of drops.

In my opinion, James Jones had a "drop". An easy catch right to the breadbasket in stride.
Swain had a drop, although a few d guys helped him "drop" it.
Jordy has 3 huge drops. Problem is, he redeems himself 2 plays later! The possible td at the end was killer, but a difficult catch, not really a drop.

But the 100mph fastballs on a 10 yard slant or quickie are not drops. They are almost uncatchable. Jordie gets called out for a few of those, but they are not really drops. A-Rod needs to take a little off those, as they seldom get caught.

Agree with the fastball difficulty and I don't fault Rodgers for throwing that hard because he was trying to make sure only his guy could catch it.

Do the Packers receivers have more drops than any other team? We're talking about the 3/4/5 guys here.

denverYooper
02-07-2011, 01:59 PM
DP

channtheman
02-07-2011, 02:26 PM
While there is some lee way to what I consider a drop (it depends on the play) I do consider most of the passes that hit someone in the hands a drop. I also consider Jordy's missed catch early in the game where it didn't hit his hands but instead went through them a drop. If these guys are a top receiving corp in the league they need to catch those passes. They might be top 5 but the drops are killer. Seriously, this team lives and dies with the receivers.