PDA

View Full Version : Official 2010-11 Mea Culpa Thread

Joemailman
02-07-2011, 09:01 PM
After the injuries hit this team, I didn't really think, for a long time, that they could make it to the Super Bowl this year. It wasn't until the New England game that I started to think they had a chance.

I thought Charlie Peprah was nothing but a special teams player.

I thought Brandon Jackson would seize the opportunity if ever given the chance to be the #1 RB.

I thought, at the start of training camp, that Brandon Underwood would contribute more than Jarrett Bush.

I thought Desmond Bishop was nothing but a preseason sensation.

Add your own. You'll feel better. :grin:

RashanGary
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I liked the Matt Flynn game plan better than the AR game plans up until that point and wondered how good is Aaron really if Flynn can come in and play steadier in his first ever NFL start. After that game Aaron's game exploded making me look like an idiot.

I dove of the cliff after the Detroit game. I said it was over. I think there is a thread we can dig up where I started looking to next year.

I thought James Jones was a #1 receiver as recently as a couple weeks ago. Now I wonder if Jordy is the better player the way he played down the stretch here.

Bretsky
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I thought TT was too safe and didn't have the stones to take a risk to put this team over the top
He proved me wrong by packaging draft picks to move up and draft a Superstar that put this team over

MadtownPacker
02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I was a fucking fan throughout the season's highs and lows so I can say whatever the fuck I want since I keep buying gear and going to games to pay for all this shit.

retailguy
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
i thought the team would go 19-0 and win the super bowl. I was partially wrong.

pbmax
02-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Penalties, special teams (OK, not all of it) and offensive line seemed to get better as the year went on. I was surprised by Masthay and the coverage units, stunned by the penalty turnaround (enough to wonder what M3 had been waiting for) and just flabbergasted that the Packers O line and Rodgers seemed to come to some agreement in the Super Bowl (all the playoffs, actually, minus Peppers) about how long he should hold the ball before he got hit. The protection was much better than I imagined and he took no killer shots versus Blitzburgh.

I also owe Bishop an engraved apology.

While I thought T2 and M3 were the right people in the right place, I did not think those things would get fixed this year. Mea Culpa.

Freak Out
02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
This was the first year Iron Mike didn't pick the team to go undefeated to the SB so I knew they would win it. :)

I called for Campen and Slocum to get the boot more than once.....it's always nice to be proven wrong. :)

Fosco33
02-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I was rough on M3's playcalling mid-year - it was stale/predictable. I hated the 3rd and 1 bombs mostly... but that sure worked out yesterday. I still don't like the way we play with leads - and I hate our kickoff/punt return game. That's our biggest weakness.

I recall a game thread where I said something like - who the fuck is Erik Walden.

I was pissed when we cut Al. Looking at all those injuries and not having the assessment of Williams and Shields as legit starters mostly. Years ago - I wasn't a fan of Williams... that's changed this year. Looking back - it was the right business move.

Always been critical of Bush... thought we should've kept Havner or Smith (funny how we got them both back). Bush turned out to be quite the STer - and heck - even made a few key plays in the playoffs (still gives up just as many though).

Still didn't like getting rid of Jon Ryan. But Masthay turned out to have a hell of a leg (except for the redo crappy punt last night). He almost surely won us 2 playoff games vs. the Bears/Hester.

Well - I called a 10-6 season and making it to the NFCC (preseason). And I called a 30-24 game yesterday. So I'm not all that dumb.

You're right - I do feel better.

Bossman641
02-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I didn't think they would win the SB after all the injuries hit. Wasn't looking towards next year yet but really didn't see how a team could lose all the pieces they did and contend for the title.

I also thought Bishop was nothing but a preseason player.

VegasPackFan
02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread where all the people that said we would never win a SB as long as TT and M3 where in charge repented....

Tony Oday
02-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Sorry Bishop

I always had faith in the team

mission
02-08-2011, 02:47 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread where all the people that said we would never win a SB as long as TT and M3 where in charge repented....

A lot of us have. I said MM would never, ever, fuckin ever win a SB in GB. I was 100% wrong. He's really matured this season as a coach and we got to witness and, at times, agonize over it. I'm fine with giving the guy a huge extension. He can coach my Packers if he can win a Super Bowl. :) Always loved TT so nothing to say there. ;)

(and you never responded to my PM! leaving Vegas tomorrow morning... had a blast! :))

I was also wrong about:

- Jarrett Bush (to an extent)
- Desmond Bishop
- Dom Capers (in a way)
- Campen / Slocum (wouldn't give these guys raises but they bought a year)
- Colledge (still don't love him but I hated him so much)

I was also right about a shitload but don't need to list that here. :)

vince
02-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Well done JH. Some of you guys can't get out of your own way. "I was wrong, but I wasn't really wrong." Right.

I was wrong, very wrong about Tramon Williams. I knew he could cover, but didn't think he'd be physical enough vs. big receivers and the run to play every down. He has become a good tackler and a great cover-man, and had one hell of a year. He's been a huge key to the Packers' success. Mea culpa Tramon.

I was wrong about the Bears. I thought their o-line would be their achilles heal and they would finish last in the NFC North. Somehow they figured out how to win in spite of their line. Except knowing that the Packers went to the Super Bowl by virtue of their NFC Championship victory at Soldier Field, that one doesn't really make me feel any better Joe.

Iron Mike
02-08-2011, 05:18 AM
This was the first year Iron Mike didn't pick the team to go undefeated to the SB so I knew they would win it. :)

Heh heh......

Be honest......who thought we could win the SB with Zombo as the starting OLB???

packrulz
02-08-2011, 05:27 AM
I thought M3 wasn't committed enough to the running game, I guess it's not that critical in todays game, much like the Saints and Colts, but I still think they need to improve on running the ball, with Grant coming back and Starks improving it should be better next season.

bobblehead
02-08-2011, 07:37 AM
i thought the team would go 19-0 and win the super bowl. I was partially wrong.

At the time I agreed with your ultimate point that we were talented and should be at least competitive in every game we played winning the majority of them (12 wins I thought). I was off by a couple wins, but we never trailed by more than 7 all year and never lost by 5. Wait, where is the "I told you so" thread?

bobblehead
02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
I thought M3 wasn't committed enough to the running game, I guess it's not that critical in todays game, much like the Saints and Colts, but I still think they need to improve on running the ball, with Grant coming back and Starks improving it should be better next season.

No, MM committed to the run HUGE since the NE game. Don't look at the SB and misread things. Pitt is as dominant against the run as any team I have seen. I of all people said that we would and should pass 40+ in this game and only run a minimal amount. Pitt can be exploited in the pass game. We were on turf, indoors and the refs were allowing a lot of holding (Bulaga should buy them all a gift). You don't win in this league by being one dimensional and closed minded, and MM ran the ball very often down the stretch, but when facing the Pitt D, he adjusted again to the situation. Props to him, but don't think we will win games running the ball 11 times a game all next season.

Cheesehead Craig
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I was wrong about BJack being a #1 back when given the opportunity as well.

I didn't think Bishop was going to be good enough to start.

I was wrong to base my fantasy football team on Moss, Finley, Rice and Flacco.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM

I think they're all gone.

Freak Out
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I think they're all gone.

True Packer fans.

PA Pack Fan
02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I thought Capers\MM would run the prevent d on the last drive and I would watch PB go down and win the game. I'm glad thet sent more than 3 all four downs!

Ballboy
02-08-2011, 11:43 AM
*I thought Bjack would step up, now I don't think he even makes the team next year if Grant is healthy.

*I thought Jame Jones would be the #2 behind Jennings by year end. If we didn't do so many 4-5 wides, he also would be on the bubble. He is better than most other teams 3-4 WR.

*Clifton - I thought you were done.

*Wells - I thought you weren't good enough.

denverYooper
02-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I thought they should have traded for Lynch.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
True Packer fans.

I think they're Packer fans. But they were pretty vocal hating Ted, so the ribbing they'd get would be pretty vocal too.

retailguy
02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I think they're Packer fans. But they were pretty vocal hating Ted, so the ribbing they'd get would be pretty vocal too.

I haven't gone anywhere. I still don't like the guy, but I respect the job he's done. He did what I didn't think he could do, and I'm damn happy about that right now. :)

RashanGary
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I haven't gone anywhere. I still don't like the guy, but I respect the job he's done. He did what I didn't think he could do, and I'm damn happy about that right now. :)

How about the OL? Were you wrong there :) :)

RashanGary
02-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Sherman never had a SB winning OL ;)

Scott Campbell
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

You got in front of your mea culpa a year early. Smart move.

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I was a fucking fan throughout the season's highs and lows so I can say whatever the fuck I want since I keep buying gear and going to games to pay for all this shit.

:lol: This is so true & so funny. Post of the day!

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Mad, I feel like I have to emphasize that I wasn't being ironic; this is good stuff.

swede
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
swede: What's ironic?
mmmdk: That my praise for his post might have been seen to be sarcastic when it was in fact genuine.
swede: No, I mean what does ironic mean?

VermontPackFan
02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Looks like I was wrong on Bulaga, I called him a bust and started to doubt him mid season. I thought he had John Michaels written all over him. He stepped up beginning with the Giant game and held his own thru the playoffs until Sunday. On Sunday he played like a budding All Pro tackle.

I called Wells a runt who had no business starting at center for an NFL team, never mind the Green Bay Packers. Clearly wrong on Scott, never doubt those wrastlers!

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
mmmdk: That my praise for his post might have been seen to be sarcastic when it was in fact genuine.

So be it & I get it :oops:

mission
02-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Not much worse than someone evaluating the quality of our "i was wrongs" ...

Vince you were wrong about the Bears and Tramon Williams?

Way to take it on the chin. I guess that's setting the example?

mission
02-08-2011, 05:27 PM

channtheman
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Well done JH. Some of you guys can't get out of your own way. "I was wrong, but I wasn't really wrong." Right.

I was wrong, very wrong about Tramon Williams. I knew he could cover, but didn't think he'd be physical enough vs. big receivers and the run to play every down. He has become a good tackler and a great cover-man, and had one hell of a year. He's been a huge key to the Packers' success. Mea culpa Tramon.

I was wrong about the Bears. I thought their o-line would be their achilles heal and they would finish last in the NFC North. Somehow they figured out how to win in spite of their line. Except knowing that the Packers went to the Super Bowl by virtue of their NFC Championship victory at Soldier Field, that one doesn't really make me feel any better Joe.

Yeah you were wrong about Tramon, but not really wrong. You knew he could cover after all. :roll:

Anyway, I was wrong about MM. I never thought he would get out of his ruts as a play caller/game manager and continue to put the pedal to the metal. He was able to. He still had the 3rd and short run that scared the crap out of me in the Super Bowl (thank God Starks was able to bounce it outside), but late in the game up 3 he didn't go into a shell. He continued to do what had been working and passing the ball. And shockingly (not really), we moved the ball down the field and ran a lot of clock off. Doing what was working is a much better way to run the clock rather than running 3 times and punting. Kudos to MM.

mission
02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks chann... irony there is not something I'm used to from a usually-good poster like Vince.

swede
02-08-2011, 06:11 PM

So be it & I get it :oops:

No disrespect, no gotcha's, just riffing on a favorite moment from a Seinfeld episode.

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
No disrespect, no gotcha's, just riffing on a favorite moment from a Seinfeld episode.

Ah, I love Seinfeld too. I have all 9 seasons on dvd.

pbmax
02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Yikes, forgot Wells. Sorry Scottie. I apologize on behalf of Harlan too. I couldn't believe I didn't see more of Hampton rolling around the backfield.

vince
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Vince you were wrong about the Bears and Tramon Williams?

Way to take it on the chin.
The irony is noted. Mea culpa in the mea culpa thread. But don't sell those short Mish. Saying an elite performer is nothing more than a nickelback is a pretty epic fail. So is projecting an NFC Championship team to be a cellar dweller. I can be wrong with the best of 'em.

VegasPackFan
02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
A lot of us have. I said MM would never, ever, fuckin ever win a SB in GB. I was 100% wrong. He's really matured this season as a coach and we got to witness and, at times, agonize over it. I'm fine with giving the guy a huge extension. He can coach my Packers if he can win a Super Bowl. :) Always loved TT so nothing to say there. ;)

(and you never responded to my PM! leaving Vegas tomorrow morning... had a blast! :))

I was also wrong about:

- Jarrett Bush (to an extent)
- Desmond Bishop
- Dom Capers (in a way)
- Campen / Slocum (wouldn't give these guys raises but they bought a year)
- Colledge (still don't love him but I hated him so much)

I was also right about a shitload but don't need to list that here. :)

Man, I am really sorry for missing your PM to me. I was in Dallas all weekend. Got tied up with finishingh work and making plans, etc. Next time I will treat to dinner , so come back out!

woodbuck27
02-09-2011, 01:41 AM
I thought TT was too safe and didn't have the stones to take a risk to put this team over the top
He proved me wrong by packaging draft picks to move up and draft a Superstar that put this team over

Ditto for me too B. Re: TT ... Mea culpa.

Whether it was 'by hook or crook'. TT supplied the talent for MM and his staff to work very well into the lineup and deal with awesome adversity. He got the new players to Green Bay. He finally went to 'the Belichick' approach and IMO made our team even better than it might have been at the beginning of this season, when we had such high hopes. Then it came down to the bottom line. Those players had to learn the system and work confidently with MM and his staff. To step into a challenge and excel at stepping up.

My Packer hat is off to TT today. Congratulations Ted Thompson. It's the old standard. Everyone loves a winner.

This will never change for me:

GO PACK GO!

retailguy
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
How about the OL? Were you wrong there :) :)

I certainly don't think so. I think the OL as a unit is the weakest unit on the team. For 4 consistent years, they have played awful for half the season. Yet they consistently play better towards the end of the season, every year.

Were they good enough? Yes. Does that mean they are "good"? Nope. I have hope for Newhouse and Lang. We'll see.

retailguy
02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
You got in front of your mea culpa a year early. Smart move.

I've said for a long time that Thompson was a great personnel guy. It wasn't just last year. Where I was wrong, is that I believed you needed to supplement with a few strategic free agents. Obviously, that's optional. :) I understand that now.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Looks like I was wrong on Bulaga, I called him a bust and started to doubt him mid season. I thought he had John Michaels written all over him. He stepped up beginning with the Giant game and held his own thru the playoffs until Sunday. On Sunday he held like a budding All Pro tackle.

I called Wells a runt who had no business starting at center for an NFL team, never mind the Green Bay Packers. Clearly wrong on Scott, never doubt those wrastlers!

Fixed. He got away with some good ones on Sunday!

My Mea Culpa was for the dread, and predictions of the sky falling that started around halftime of the Detroit game. I couldn't (and still don't!) understand what happened that day.

I also apologize heartily for saying McCarthy would never get this team to stop the penalties. He did indeed 'get that fixed'.

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Fixed. He got away with some good ones on Sunday!

If you believe Raji, the Steelers OL got away with holding all game. I'm glad the refs were consistent.

VermontPackFan
02-09-2011, 10:49 AM
If you believe Raji, the Steelers OL got away with holding all game. I'm glad the refs were consistent.

That explains why Raji was nearly invisible the entire game...? With Pouncy out I was expecting him to dominate, there was little to no inside pressure on the QB.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
That explains why Raji was nearly invisible the entire game...? With Pouncy out I was expecting him to dominate, there was little to no inside pressure on the QB.

I don't know. It's a lot harder to pick up holding on the interior OL from television feed. I saw a couple on the edges that were obvious, but it's too crowded inside.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Raji was getting held. At the start of the game I saw him go right through the line a couple of times, but then it seemed to stop.

Freak Out
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
There are a few game pictures that show clear holds on Raji and Green that I've seen....full on should pad grabs....but that kind of stuff is always happening from what I understand.