PDA

View Full Version : ONE TEAM...MANY STORIES....FEEL GOOD...

Bretsky
02-08-2011, 08:44 AM
One team packs a lot of stories

By Mike Lopresti

IRVING , Texas — About these Green Bay Packers. Here we are at their hotel, looking around at all of the unusual pasts and unlikely roads. This is like watching a reality show.

“It’s been a true journey,” wide receiver Donald Driver said. “A lot of people in this room have been through a lot.”

Over there is Mike McCarthy, the head coach who made ends meet early in his career by collecting tolls on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. “You get your master’s degree, and you go collect tolls,” he was saying. “That doesn’t quite add up, but that was my plan and path.”

And over there is offensive line coach James Campen, who has spent time as a reserve deputy sheriff. Also quarterback coach Tom Clements, who practiced law for five years.

Here comes punter Tim Masthay, who last year was tutoring athletes at the University of Kentucky in economics and finance. If no team had given him a job, he was headed to the Peace Corps. And wide receiver James Jones, who spent most of his youth in homeless shelters.

There’s safety Charlie Peprah, whose grandfather once ruled Ghana — until he was overthrown and executed. “I look at his leadership quality,” Peprah said. “He was such a strong person; he could take on the role as head of state. I take pride in that. I feel like I have some of those qualities.”

There’s linebacker Clay Matthews and receiv-Jordy Nelson, both college walk-ons.

Nose tackle B.J. Raji, the strictly raised son of Pentecostal ministers.

And Sam Shields, the rookie cornerback nobody drafted who intercepted two passes in the NFC Championship Game.

Here’s center Scott Wells, who has a wedding ring tattooed on his left hand because he broke his ring finger three times. “I got tired of buying new ones,” he said, meaning rings, not fingers. He and his wife lost twins to premature birth, but, when a healthy daughter came along a year later, they marked the blessed event by giving her the middle name of Faith.

Here’s former window-washer Aaron Rodgers, who had to soothe the anxiety of Packerland because he was not named Brett Favre.

And here is Driver. The receiver who lived out of a car trailer while his mother tried to feed her kids. Who once dabbled in drug dealing to make money and now is a committed family man and team leader.

One thing I do is cherish the moment,” he said. “I’ve done a lot of wrong things in my life; I’ve done a lot of great things in my life. Your past makes you what you are today.”

Maybe the past is where the Packers’ steel came from, to survive a 3-3 start that included two overtime losses and then win three postseason games on the road. They appear a levelheaded bunch that fully understands there is a world beyond the hype.

Charles Woodson contributed $2 million to a University of Michigan hospital. Peprah earned a master’s degree in financial planning. “I like to learn,” he said. Jones and Driver share their childhoods with the homeless. “I was put in this position for a reason,” Jones said.

Resolve and perspective have met talent. “We’re not signing crazy free agents to come in and mess up team chemistry,” A.J. Hawk said. “We’ve got a good thing going.”

Hawk’s the linebacker with long hair. A campaign for a Head & Shoulders endorsement? No. A tribute to Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who was killed in Afghanistan .

“I think we’ve got a lot of chips on shoulders around here,” linebacker Desmond Bishop said. “That’s a good thing. To have to come through the back door, so to speak, and not to have the silver spoon in your mouth brought guys together.”

Sunday, that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers’ problem. A collective chip on the shoulder can be a valuable weapon.

Hence,” Bishop said, “the reason why we’re here.”

Old School
02-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Feel good for sure. I am a life long Cub fan who learned not only how to lose, but also to appeciate people for more than just the W's. There are so many good outstanding MEN on this team. The most obvious of course is the jump in class at QB. But the young undrafted unknowns who have claimed success with dedication to the task at hand. They were coachable, unselfish, willing to study and work there tails off, and they are an inspiration. What perspective as Greg Jennings said right after the game; "All the glory belongs to God".

What a joy to cheer on a team that is a winner in sports and life. We are indeed lucky fans.