PDA

View Full Version : Slocum's Future

Noodle
02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm still feeling the glow, and I don't mean to harsh anyone's buzz, but listening to Rodgers on Letterman talk about how he feared the kick-off return after the Pack got that FG at the end confirmed for me that we need a change at Special Teams.

Masthay's development is certainly something to cheer, but I wonder how much of that is Masthay and how much is Slocum. I do know the consistent inability of this team to cover kicks has grown to the point of absurdity. Time for a change. Slocum can get his ring, which will no doubt help him find another job.

But no more.

Patler
02-08-2011, 09:45 AM
I think every Packer fan had a sinking feeling when Crosby kicked the FG. Two minutes left, less than a TD lead, and the Packers were kicking off. A scenario that has had gut wrenching results in the past far too often.

SkinBasket
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Masthay's development is certainly something to cheer, but I wonder how much of that is Masthay and how much is Slocum.

Seeing as how our previous punters/scapegoats Ryan and Kapinos have gone on to find jobs with other teams, I'm guessing it's more Masthay and less Slocum.

vince
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
They shouldn't have cut Ryan. Kapinos is just as bad now as he was with the Pack. His inside the 20 rate has improved a bit, but that's it.

Smeefers
02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
My feelings would be hurt if we found a new guy, but I think Slocum bought himself another year with the improvements we've had since the first half of the season. Someone had to coach them not to commit penalties. At this point, I'm willing to give him another year and I think that's what will happen.

Bretsky
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
pretty tough IMO to let a coach go after you win the Big Show........but if MM did it he'd have my blessing

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
pretty tough IMO to let a coach go after you win the Big Show........but if MM did it he'd have my blessing

The solution is, of course, to bring in another special teams coach. You can keep Slocum on as a lucky charm, but get somebody else to fix the kickoff coverage.

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
The solution is, of course, to bring in another special teams coach. You can keep Slocum on as a lucky charm, but get somebody else to fix the kickoff coverage.

I see your point...but we need 'ACTUAL' return players to help our return game. I second Bretsky, as you probably can't change coaches on a SB winning team, and why should TT unless their contract is up & they're lured to another team? No! Go get a PR & a KR through draft or FA 'cos you won't find the "fix it" return men on Packers current roster.

Freak Out
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Finding a return man is one thing but coaching the team to cover a kick return is another. The PR coverage improved dramatically but KR coverage always seemed dicey at best. As Rodgers pointed out in his Letterman interview the only reason Pittsburg didn't have good field position was because of the punch some idiot threw.

Patler
02-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Finding a return man is one thing but coaching the team to cover a kick return is another. The PR coverage improved dramatically but KR coverage always seemed dicey at best. As Rodgers pointed out in his Letterman interview the only reason Pittsburg didn't have good field position was because of the punch some idiot threw.

I agree. I am much less concerned about who returns kicks or punts for the Packers than I am concerned about the Packers kickoff coverage. The punt team seems to have come around, but kickoff coverage is still poor.

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree. I am much less concerned about who returns kicks or punts for the Packers than I am concerned about the Packers kickoff coverage. The punt team seems to have come around, but kickoff coverage is still poor.

I'm with Snoopy! :smile:

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I see your point...but we need 'ACTUAL' return players to help our return game. I second Bretsky, as you probably can't change coaches on a SB winning team, and why should TT unless their contract is up & they're lured to another team? No! Go get a PR & a KR through draft or FA 'cos you won't find the "fix it" return men on Packers current roster.

I'm really more concerned about the fact that the kickoff coverage team regularly allows the other team to start between the 30 and 40 yardline (and has given up several killer returns) than the fact that our return units rarely give us great field position.

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm really more concerned about the fact that the kickoff coverage team regularly allows the other team to start between the 30 and 40 yardline (and has given up several killer returns) than the fact that our return units rarely give us great field position.

Like Rodgers said: "still motivated". Your concern is legit in the quest for more Packers Championships in the very near future! Keep it coming. :smile:

Packers4Glory
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I know injuries didn't help the ST units, but they largely sucked on coverage and returns before that.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I think every Packer fan had a sinking feeling when Crosby kicked the FG. Two minutes left, less than a TD lead, and the Packers were kicking off. A scenario that has had gut wrenching results in the past far too often.

If Slocum taught Crabtree to goad guys into punching him, I'd say give him a contract extension.

Jimx29
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
in the "return to title town" special on right now they.....and....I can't believe what i'm hearing.....they are giving the special teams kudos for great play this year...WTFF???

Freak Out
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
in the "return to title town" special on right now they.....and....I can't believe what i'm hearing.....they are giving the special teams kudos for great play this year...WTFF???

PR spin after Rodgers interview on Letterman. :)

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 05:03 PM

After you win the superbowl, everybody gets to feel good about themselves, at least in public.

bobblehead
02-08-2011, 06:07 PM

yea, a part of me wanted them to go for it. I didn't want to kick off with less than a 7 point lead.

SMBASS
02-08-2011, 08:19 PM

After you win the superbowl, everybody gets to feel good about themselves, at least in public.

Yeah, it may of been a little too much of a buzz kill for Wayne to say something along the lines of, "Shawn, the offense and defense were able to overcome the best efforts of your Special Teams units this year and they still managed to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Titletown! Can you explain to us how it is that your group is able to continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and yet you somehow retain your job here?"

Although truthful, this maybe wasn't quite the right time and place for it.

SMBASS
02-08-2011, 08:29 PM
yea, a part of me wanted them to go for it. I didn't want to kick off with less than a 7 point lead.

I thought the same thing Bobble. When Pitt. got the ball back for the final drive and we were clinging to a 6 point lead with Bush and Lee on the field I had a really, really bad feeling. I thought it was some grand conspiracy designed to give me a heart attack after I watched them score and kick the winning XP with no time left on the clock. It was deja vu all over again after last year's game. (Jarrett being on the field both times was a pretty scary common denominator.) Thank goodness Dom decided to go for broke and brought pressure. He was smart enough to realize that if he sat back in coverage and gave Roth time to make plays we would get toasted.

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 09:26 PM
If Slocum taught Crabtree to goad guys into punching him, I'd say give him a contract extension.

Slocum or Crabtree?

I mean, if you have a guy on your special teams who is really good at getting guys to punch him, lock that guy up long term!

wootah
02-09-2011, 01:48 AM
I mean, if you have a guy on your special teams who is really good at getting guys to punch him, lock that guy up long term!

We should sign Randy Hanson (the former Raiders' assistant coach) then as a consultant, to fine tune his skills.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, it may of been a little too much of a buzz kill for Wayne to say something along the lines of, "Shawn, the offense and defense were able to overcome the best efforts of your Special Teams units this year and they still managed to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Titletown! Can you explain to us how it is that your group is able to continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and yet you somehow retain your job here?"

Although truthful, this maybe wasn't quite the right time and place for it.

Honestly, punting and punt return coverage has been good the last quarter of the season. The job Mathsay did against Hester was unbelievable. And it seems that downing the ball inside the opponents 5yd line is something that has happened fairly often.

For some reason, it seems to be KO returns which cause all the trouble. I think the main difference is that with punting is more about getting down the field and preventing the return, while KO returns are about staying in your lane to prevent them busting a big one.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Slocum or Crabtree?

That penalty was big - evened things out for Tramon's boneheaded swat earlier in the game!