PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flynn Speculation

vince
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2011/02/05/might-titans-consider-gb-qb-flynn/

Might Titans consider QB Flynn?

Posted on February 5, 2011 by JIM WYATT, The Tennessean

Titans fans mention veterans such as Kevin Kolb and Kyle Orton as they discuss which quarterback the team might try and trade for this offseason. Chances are both would come with a hefty price tag, however, especially Kolb from the Eagles.

But here’s another name worth considering, a guy who would come a lot cheaper: Packers backup Matt Flynn.

He is wrapping up his third season with Green Bay behind Aaron Rodgers. He’s itching to play, and knows he won't get a chance as long as Rodgers is around and healthy.

"This is definitely Aaron’s team," Flynn said. "There is no one who has any doubt about that."

Like Kolb and Orton, Flynn would have to come via trade, however. He signed a four-year contract with the Packers when he came out of LSU.

Flynn showed his potential when he stepped in for an injured Rodgers against the Patriots on Dec. 19. He threw for 251 yards and three touchdowns, with a passer rating of 100.2. Quarterback-starved teams no doubt took notice.

Flynn finished the season 40 of 66 for 433 yards, three TDs and two picks. Unlike Kolb and Orton, however, Flynn is still very raw in the NFL. Most agree it's way too early to know if he's ready to lead a team.

"I’m not going to assess what other teams might think because we want Matt to stay in Green Bay," quarterbacks coach Tom Clements said when asked if Flynn is ready to be a starter. "We like Matt as a quarterback. I’m sure teams might like him, but he is a good part of our team and he works well with Aaron."

Given GM Mike Reinfeldt’s relationship with Packers GM Ted Thompson, if Reinfeldt likes Flynn at all I’m sure his name has come up in conversation. My thinking is he’s at least a guy to consider for competition.

Flynn said he’d like a bigger role at some point, but by no means is pushing to be moved.

"That is my goal, to start in this league. I have learned a lot in these three years. It has been a lot of fun. But my goal is to be an NFL starter, and that should be everyone’s goal. You should want to be a starter," said Flynn, a seventh-round pick in 2008. "But I’m not looking at it right now. I am here for the Super Bowl right. I’m just enjoying the ride now. Who knows what happens after that?"

Guiness
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
The Flynn conversation is interesting, but also how stupid they are in Denver that they're shopping Orton. I'm assuming they want to go with Tebow as the anointed starter, and feel they need to run Orton out of town so he won't be a distraction. Idiots.

Smeefers
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I'd like to keep him for another year. I think it would do him good to sit behind Aaron for another year, let him mature, then we can franchise him and trade him. Maybe get a 3rd rounder for him. The guy has a noodle of an arm and will never be a big play QB, but he's smart and accurate and could turn into a pretty good QB. I don't want to hold him back and will wish him well on his way whether he goes this year or not, but I think it would be best for Matt for him to stay on the bench for another year.

channtheman
02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
How about we trade Flynn and James Jones to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald. :0

SavedByGrace
02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Channtheman: Nice :)

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 12:36 PM
then we can franchise him and trade him.

The problem with this is that it's risky to franchise your backup quarterback in an attempt to trade him. The franchise quarterback number is like $17,000,000 and how many teams are going to be willing to give up a draft pick and seventeen million dollars for Matt Flynn?

He has more value as a tradeable asset now, since he's cheap.

mmmdk
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

That's not a bad thought; good for Cardinals & good for Packers. DOIT!!

get louder at lambeau
02-08-2011, 02:27 PM
The guy has a noodle of an arm and will never be a big play QB,

Use your noodle-

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81d0cd36/QB-Flynn-to-WR-Jones-66-yd-pass-TD

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Use your noodle-

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d81d0cd36/QB-Flynn-to-WR-Jones-66-yd-pass-TD

Also, noodle-armed quarterbacks who can run an offense and don't make stupid decisions are a lot more useful to NFL teams than rocket-armed headcases.

gbgary
02-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Also, noodle-armed quarterbacks who can run an offense and don't make stupid decisions are a lot more useful to NFL teams than rocket-armed headcases.

this...and i disagree with the noodle-arm comment. it may not be as strong as AR's but not many are. i think his arm is fine.

bobblehead
02-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Use your noodle-

He is clearly better than Rodgers as JJ dropped every pass Rodgers threw like that. A "more catchable ball" is the phrase.

bobblehead
02-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Yet strangely are valued less.

pbmax
02-08-2011, 06:56 PM

C'mon Lurk. No reason to bait Jeff George and Jason Whitlock like that.

:D

Lurker64
02-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Yet strangely are valued less.

I think it's because coaches and GMs tend towards egomania... "Sure, nobody else has been able to straighten this kid out, but they're not as good at nurturing talent as I am."

superfan
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Matt Hasselbeck v2.0. Not sure it's worth getting less than a 3rd for him since a Rodgers injury could (would) be a season killer without a decent backup.

swede
02-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Matt Hasselbeck v2.0. Not sure it's worth getting less than a 3rd for him since a Rodgers injury could (would) be a season killer without a decent backup.

+1

To me it would be a natural thing to have a heart to heart with Matt Flynn...Coach, GM, and player all together...and ask him if he's willing to learn, back up, step in and be the guy if needed, and then re-evaluate in two or three years. Or, does he want a chance to play somewhere else now where he can compete for a starting job.

But I get the impression that the way of doing "business" in the NFL doesn't allow for such frank exchanges. You trade, release, or keep players without their permission and that's that.

But I agree that without a good high draft pick he he is worth far more to us as a quality back up.

hoosier
02-09-2011, 06:43 AM
+1

To me it would be a natural thing to have a heart to heart with Matt Flynn...Coach, GM, and player all together...and ask him if he's willing to learn, back up, step in and be the guy if needed, and then re-evaluate in two or three years. Or, does he want a chance to play somewhere else now where he can compete for a starting job.

But I get the impression that the way of doing "business" in the NFL doesn't allow for such frank exchanges. You trade, release, or keep players without their permission and that's that.

But I agree that without a good high draft pick he he is worth far more to us as a quality back up.

Flynn has already been in GB for three years. I suspect that he feels he has already put in his time and is ready to prove himself. His showing against NE, while only one game, would seem to support that. I can't see that an offer to put in a few more years as apprentice would have any attraction for him.

Fritz
02-09-2011, 06:53 AM
So what would be a realistic asking price for Mr. Matt Flynn?

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 07:00 AM
So what would be a realistic asking price for Mr. Matt Flynn?

4th

woodbuck27
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM

That would be an awesome trade for us but we have a solid core of WR's. It's best that TT tries to improve our position in the trench's or on the OL and then DL. We cannot have enough depth at CB.

GO PACK GO!

Smeefers
02-09-2011, 09:33 AM
The problem with this is that it's risky to franchise your backup quarterback in an attempt to trade him. The franchise quarterback number is like $17,000,000 and how many teams are going to be willing to give up a draft pick and seventeen million dollars for Matt Flynn?

He has more value as a tradeable asset now, since he's cheap.

The Patriots franchised Matt Cassell before they traded him to the chiefs and they didn't have to pay the big payday. I think it can be written into the trade that the QB has to renegotiate the contract with the new team.

Use your noodle-

I stand by my noodle comment. That pass to jones was 25 yards in the air and was a bit of a rainbow at that. He has a weak arm. I still think he has the tools to become a good quarterback, but arm strength is also important and Matt Flynn has not thrown bullets. I don't care if it's 5 yards or 40 yards, I've never seen him zip on in there.

I disagree that there's not a lot of QB's in the league that have an arm as strong as Rodgers. What I will say is that I don't think there's are many, if any who are as strong as him and as accurate as him. The dude can throw a bullet 35 yards down the field and hit a dime.

SkinBasket
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think his arm is "weak." I think he just has a different delivery than what we've seen from our QBs for the past 2 decades.

I also don't think he can be compared to Cassell, though, as the later had a lot more experience than Flynn does when he was traded.

I would take a high 4th or better for him right now.

Patler
02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
The Patriots franchised Matt Cassell before they traded him to the chiefs and they didn't have to pay the big payday. I think it can be written into the trade that the QB has to renegotiate the contract with the new team.

Typically the acquiring team negotiates a long-term contract with the player, and the value of the franchise contract is subsumed in a much more valuable contract.

That worked for Cassel, who had an entire season as a starter to base the trade and contract on. Will anyone be willing to do that for Flynn, who may have only one start to show? I doubt it. I think there would be very few trade partners for Flynn with a franchise contract to deal with. By 2012 that could be a $20 million contract.

3irty1
02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Anyone else not really want to trade him? A 3rd or 4th is nice but he could be called upon to win us a game at some point. He's a critical backup and could be the difference between a superbowl or not. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think we're going to get much of a backup to take his place.

denverYooper
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
That would be an awesome trade for us but we have a solid core of WR's. It's best that TT tries to improve our position in the trench's or on the OL and then DL. We cannot have enough depth at CB.

GO PACK GO!

I'd bet Larry Fitzgerald wouldn't mind playing for the Packers.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Typically the acquiring team negotiates a long-term contract with the player, and the value of the franchise contract is subsumed in a much more valuable contract.

That worked for Cassel, who had an entire season as a starter to base the trade and contract on. Will anyone be willing to do that for Flynn, who may have only one start to show? I doubt it. I think there would be very few trade partners for Flynn with a franchise contract to deal with. By 2012 that could be a $20 million contract.

The other thing to point out is that, after franchising Cassel, the Patriots kind of panicked and dumped him (and a valuable defensive player with several productive years remaining) for a second round pick because they absolutely couldn't afford to actually pay Cassel the amount indicated by the franchise tag.

Fritz
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Yes, for sure the Cardinals would jump all over that: a former 7th round pick QB with one start under his belt and a receiver who tends to drop the ball for a Pro Bowl wide receiver!

Guiness
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes, for sure the Cardinals would jump all over that: a former 7th round pick QB with one start under his belt and a receiver who tends to drop the ball for a Pro Bowl wide receiver!

You have to take that suggestion in the spirit it was made

http://www.gono.com/museum2003/museum%20collect%20info/kool-aid/ka2.jpg

Tarlam!
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
So, the guy has 150% more starting time than Rodgers, when the latter became the guy. He has been coached up by he same team that coached up the last super bowl mvp. I can't remember, did Rodgers have a win before they dumped Bert?

As for the guy's arm? If the guy beats out Brohm and is good enough to back up Rodgers, that speaks a diferent language.

20 million insurance on an otherwise lost season is realistic to me. A 4th for Flynn? Jeez, I'd like you to finanz my home.

Two firsts and a second and then, only to the AFL.

Smidgeon
02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
So, the guy has 150% more starting time than Rodgers, when the latter became the guy. He has been coached up by he same team that coached up the last super bowl mvp. I can't remember, did Rodgers have a win before they dumped Bert?

As for the guy's arm? If the guy beats out Brohm and is good enough to back up Rodgers, that speaks a diferent language.

20 million insurance on an otherwise lost season is realistic to me. A 4th for Flynn? Jeez, I'd like you to finanz my home.

AFC?

LEWCWA
02-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Kool aide running out the faucet at your place Tar?

channtheman
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Okay fine, add in a 7th round pick if it means that much to you.

hoosier
02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Flynn could probably fetch a 3rd if somebody thought he was really starter material. But given the Packers situation--a competitive team that could still win with defense and a good game manager if ARod went down for a month--I wouldn't trade him for less than a high 2 unless TT were to find someone else in draft who could step in as game ready backup QB. The Packers roster as it stands today doesn't have room for most 4th round draft picks.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Word is that Tom Clements is the favorite to be the new offensive coordinator in Tennessee, and if so it's not unlikely that he would want to take Flynn with him. I would absolutely take a day 2 pick from Tennessee for Flynn.

RashanGary
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I'd want a 2nd for him. If we can't get that, he's valuable as our backup. We have the team to win Superbowls every year for several years. You'd hate to not make the playoffs becuase AR was hurt for 4-6 weeks.

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I'd want a 2nd for him. If we can't get that, he's valuable as our backup. We have the team to win Superbowls every year for several years. You'd hate to not make the playoffs becuase AR was hurt for 4-6 weeks.

I'd have no problem taking a third round pick for him, and then signing a veteran like Marc Bulger along with finding another rookie project

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Word is that Tom Clements is the favorite to be the new offensive coordinator in Tennessee, and if so it's not unlikely that he would want to take Flynn with him. I would absolutely take a day 2 pick from Tennessee for Flynn.

I hate to hear that; I've always felt Clements was the most overqualified coach on this staff for the position he had.

mission
02-09-2011, 08:23 PM

Didn't the Raiders give up a 1st for Seymour? Not saying that's possible for Flynn but if some team sees him as a starting NFL QB then high second can't be completely out of the realm of possibility. There are always the Snyders and Davis' out there to make things entertaining.

Like when I'm playing poker and there's some rich guy who doesn't give a damn just donking off all his chips to a regular at the table. Get so jealous that I'm not in the particular hand taking advantage of the fish. I'd love the Packers to be the beneficiaries of a lopsided deal. :)

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Didn't the Raiders give up a 1st for Seymour? Not saying that's possible for Flynn but if some team sees him as a starting NFL QB then high second can't be completely out of the realm of possibility. There are always the Snyders and Davis' out there to make things entertaining.

Like when I'm playing poker and there's some rich guy who doesn't give a damn just donking off all his chips to a regular at the table. Get so jealous that I'm not in the particular hand taking advantage of the fish. I'd love the Packers to be the beneficiaries of a lopsided deal. :)

I think the key difference is that the Raiders gave up a first round pick for a future draft (so they didn't know when they would be picking) and not for the upcoming draft. I think asking for the #8 pick in the entire draft for Flynn (and maybe even the #40 pick) may be a tad rich. Remember, Tennessee was bad last year.

SMBASS
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM

I want to hang onto him too. I think we have enough tools for adding players at this point through the draft, I.R. returns, practice squad, FA, etc. that for now Flynn is more valuable to us as an insurance policy than the picks we get in return for him would be. When the rest of the team is as strong as ours currently is I would hate to jeopardize an entire season because of playing several games without a competant QB who can keep you competative. We're going to have a hard time cutting down from a pure numbers standpoint already so yeah, the picks might be nice to have more ammo to play with in the draft but I hope Flynn stays for another 1 or 2 years to make sure we have someone else groomed. (Maybe Harrell's the guy???)

mission
02-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I think the key difference is that the Raiders gave up a first round pick for a future draft (so they didn't know when they would be picking) and not for the upcoming draft. I think asking for the #8 pick in the entire draft for Flynn (and maybe even the #40 pick) may be a tad rich. Remember, Tennessee was bad last year.

I'm inclined to think you're correct (and realistic)... anything in the 50-80 range would be great. There's always some sort of bundling that could happen to improve that draft pick as well. Whether that's a pick of ours or an overvalued player, I can see TT trying to make a big move to up in the first (or improve add to our early middle picks) if there's someone he really likes.

We all know it's going to be tough to make this team next year and drafting 6-7 guys just seems like a waste of picks when half of them probably wouldn't make the team. Get rid of half the picks, improve the quality of player and double the chance they make the squad. Not directly Flynn related but could factor into whether we move him or not.

Patler
02-10-2011, 05:56 AM
The key to whether they trade Flynn might be how good they feel about Harrell. Face it, with two concussions in the bank already, the Packers have to be prepared to lose Rodgers for a game or two at any time. The value of a backup QB is much higher now. You almost have to assume you will need him.

Too bad, MM indicated that his QB school might not happen this year due to the potential lockout. That will hurt Harrell the most.

vince
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-8249.html

Don’t be surprised if Matt Flynn follows the path of Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell and Kurt Warner and leaves Green Bay to become a starting quarterback elsewhere. Teams in need of a quarterback are taking a good look at Flynn, who performed exceptionally well against the Patriots in New England in December. The Packers believe the fourth-year QB is ready to start, but of course he’s not going to start in Green Bay. Flynn, who was a seventh round pick, has developed consistently under Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements. My people at Lambeau Field tell me Flynn is just a winner, whether he’s playing pickup pick-up basketball, cards or football. That figures, because he won a national championship at LSU. The Packers might be able to get a second round pick in a trade for Flynn. They also probably will get a third rounder as a compensatory pick for losing Aaron Kampman in free agency. That would leave the Packers in great shape in April.

A second round pick, especially from a bad team, would be awfully tempting.

Patler
02-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Tempting? It should be a deal clincher! :lol:

pbmax
02-13-2011, 02:04 PM
I'd have no problem taking a third round pick for him, and then signing a veteran like Marc Bulger along with finding another rookie project

I thought you were cured :)

Off to Ted Thompson Turtle Reeducation camp for you!

vince
02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't think they'd deal him for anything less than a 2. If he stays, then signs and starts for a team after '11, you'd likely get a 3rd at that time as a compensatory pick, so why not just hang onto him for another year if that's the case.

Patler
02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't think they'd deal him for anything less than a 2. If he stays, then signs and starts for a team after '11, you'd likely get a 3rd at that time as a compensatory pick, so why not just hang onto him for another year if that's the case.

All the third round compensatory picks are after the third round. Not much different than an early 4th round pick. A team needing a QB could very well be picking at the top of the round. The difference between an early third round pick that you might trade him for and a compensatory third round pick after you lose him can be almost an entire round in the draft.

Joemailman
02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
There certainly are a number of teams with picks high in the 2nd round who will be looking for a QB. A case of the rich getting richer if TT could get a 2nd round pick for his backup QB.

Speaking of that, Patriots have Oakland's 1st round pick, Carolina's 2nd round pick and Minnesota's 3rd round pick. :bang:

pbmax
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
There certainly are a number of teams with picks high in the 2nd round who will be looking for a QB. A case of the rich getting richer if TT could get a 2nd round pick for his backup QB.

Speaking of that, Patriots have Oakland's 1st round pick, Carolina's 2nd round pick and Minnesota's 3rd round pick. :bang:

That is one disadvantage to not trading much. Harder to fleece the sheep.

vince
02-13-2011, 03:48 PM
All the third round compensatory picks are after the third round. Not much different than an early 4th round pick. A team needing a QB could very well be picking at the top of the round. The difference between an early third round pick that you might trade him for and a compensatory third round pick after you lose him can be almost an entire round in the draft.
Right but the value you get for having him this year in case Rodgers goes down for soem time makes up for that IMO.

Joemailman
02-13-2011, 03:51 PM
That is one disadvantage to not trading much. Harder to fleece the sheep.

Definitely a difference in philosophy there. Belichick has no problem with the idea of trading to stockpile picks in future years. TT just doesn't do it.

mission
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Right but the value you get for having him this year in case Rodgers goes down for soem time makes up for that IMO.

He played for us twice this year with AR down and we lost both games. Not saying he didn't play well but having him as "insurance" for Rodgers isn't exactly like having All State or something. There's still a chance we lose.

Playing very well and looking the part versus New England only helps us for his trade value. I could have started for the Packers and led the team to the same result. :)

LP
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Definitely a difference in philosophy there. Belichick has no problem with the idea of trading to stockpile picks in future years. TT just doesn't do it.

Maybe a difference in philosophy. Or maybe Ted hasn't felt he has had enough talent/depth to be able to stockpile... Until now. Could be interesting!!

vince
02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Flynn'll be in his third year in the system. He's no Rodgers and he never will be. His arm strength is suspect but he's a gamer. Regardless of what he is and isn't, there isn't another quarterback with better command of this offense. He'd give us the best chance to win in the event Rodgers goes down for any period. That could make a huge difference to the season. You just don't know. I'd move him for a 2, but I wouldn't trade him for a difference of 15-20 spots in the draft vs. what he'd likely fetch if you just let him walk next year. JMO.

Patler
02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Flynn'll be in his third year in the system. He's no Rodgers and he never will be. His arm strength is suspect but he's a gamer. Regardless of what he is and isn't, there isn't another quarterback with better command of this offense. He'd give us the best chance to win in the event Rodgers goes down for any period. That could make a huge difference to the season. You just don't know. I'd move him for a 2, but I wouldn't trade him for a difference of 15-20 spots in the draft vs. what he'd likely fetch if you just let him walk next year. JMO.

Its probably more like a difference of 25 spots in the draft, or more, and you can't be assured of being awarded a 3rd. What if the NFL's crystal ball says "Round Four". It could be guaranteeing a pick in the range of #65 to #75 this year vs. a hoped for pick #97 next year, which could just as easily be a #130 or higher if the league awards a 4th instead of a 3rd.

Plus, a high third round pick this year night be tradeable with the #32 or the #64 picks to move up into the low middle of the 1st or the middle of the second round to grab someone more coveted. The compensatory pick can't be traded, so it gives TT no flexibility.

vince
02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
It's certainly a debatable situation. There are a lot of unknowns. Will Rodgers stay healthy? How much will Flynn play if/when dealt? How good will he be? But my opinion is that the Packers should put themselves in a no-lose situation before making a deal. There's no reason to think otherwise. While there are many unknowns, insuring against the worst case ensures no regrets.

Most can agree that a 2nd would be enough to get a deal done.

Fritz
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
It comes down to a couple factors: first, how good is Harrell? Good enough to be a back up? Second, will the Pack draft a QB? Third, what is the risk of letting Flynn walk for nothing after next season (if there is a season) versus trading him, knowing you don't have a strong backup if Flynn is gone?

I'd say a second means he's gone, for sure. But what about - if in fact people think GB is so deep - a second not in this draft, but the next?

mission
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Plus, a high third round pick this year night be tradeable with the #32 or the #64 picks to move up into the low middle of the 1st or the middle of the second round to grab someone more coveted.

I like this the most.

Most can agree that a 2nd would be enough to get a deal done.

No doubt.

Lurker64
02-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Second, will the Pack draft a QB?

I kind of hope they draft Nevada's Colin Kaepernick on the third day, not only does he have impressive tools, but he's also a Packer fan and was already drafted by the Cubs but would prefer to play football.

red
02-13-2011, 07:37 PM
you have to think about what we would be getting in return for him.

honestly, we are loaded as a team from top to bottom without many weaknesses and lots of depth. if we get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round pick for flynn we would basically be trading one very good backup for a draft pick that we hope turns out to be a good draft pick over the next couple of years

with a team like ours that is ready to make a long run, its good to have a backup qb like flynn that can come in and at least allow us to compete if a-rod goes down for a game or a few

right now i would almost say if we can't get a 1st or a high 2nd for him, then it isn't worth trading him at this point

Joemailman
02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
One advantage to trading Flynn is that you control where he goes. Let him enter free agency next year and he might end up in Minnesota, or even Detroit if Stafford's shoulder problems continue. If MM feels Graham Harrell is ready to be the backup, there's a good chance TT will deal him this year.

Smidgeon
02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm inclined to think you're correct (and realistic)... anything in the 50-80 range would be great. There's always some sort of bundling that could happen to improve that draft pick as well. Whether that's a pick of ours or an overvalued player, I can see TT trying to make a big move to up in the first (or improve add to our early middle picks) if there's someone he really likes.

We all know it's going to be tough to make this team next year and drafting 6-7 guys just seems like a waste of picks when half of them probably wouldn't make the team. Get rid of half the picks, improve the quality of player and double the chance they make the squad. Not directly Flynn related but could factor into whether we move him or not.

Is your real life name Mike Sherman? ;)

Smidgeon
02-13-2011, 09:49 PM

...unless the 2nd round pick turned into Brian Brohm (who--as a tangent--should be the poster child for a bad TT draft pick, not Justin Harrell; I'm sick of writers using Harrell instead of Brohm as an example of a "miss-step" by TT.)

mission
02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Is your real life name Mike Sherman? ;)

Ya, actually.

No relation to the former Packers coach however. :-|

mission
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
you have to think about what we would be getting in return for him.

honestly, we are loaded as a team from top to bottom without many weaknesses and lots of depth. if we get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th round pick for flynn we would basically be trading one very good backup for a draft pick that we hope turns out to be a good draft pick over the next couple of years

with a team like ours that is ready to make a long run, its good to have a backup qb like flynn that can come in and at least allow us to compete if a-rod goes down for a game or a few

right now i would almost say if we can't get a 1st or a high 2nd for him, then it isn't worth trading him at this point

That's always a very good argument on this general topic, but in this case I think we'll see TT package some sort of deal to either move our 1st up or get another one (or high second). I'm assuming we don't want to draft 6-7 guys this year. It'll be interesting to see how TT approaches this one -- could be his most creative yet.

mission
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
...unless the 2nd round pick turned into Brian Brohm (who--as a tangent--should be the poster child for a bad TT draft pick, not Justin Harrell; I'm sick of writers using Harrell instead of Brohm as an example of a "miss-step" by TT.)

Big deal on either one. You're gonna hit and miss. TT hits way more than he misses.

Just looking at the 2005 draft list and all the players that went before AR makes me realize how much of it is a crapshoot. When a GM has built this kind of team, it's difficult listening to anyone (writer, forum, etc) making an issue over some picks that didn't pan out. Hopefully a SB can put that all to rest. (not directed at you at all btw)

woodbuck27
02-14-2011, 11:08 AM
2011 NFL Trade Rumors: Players for All 32 Teams Who Need to Be Dealt

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/607344-2011-nfl-trade-rumors-players-for-all-32-teams-who-need-to-be-dealt

Green Bay Packers: Matt Flynn, QB

The Packers already have a marquee quarterback on their roster that took the team to a Super Bowl this year by the name of Aaron Rodgers, so it doesn't seem like Matt Flynn is really someone who could be considered trade bait.

However, the Packers have apparently already been fielding calls regarding the former LSU Tiger.
If the Packers decided to move their back-up quarterback it would appear that they could get a number of helpful pieces in return.

He might be a fit in Miami or Minnesota. How about a trade with San Fran for Frank Gore. I can see Bill Belichick his mouth watering over Gore.

Other QB's possibly available to be moved and available to teams with need at QB include :

** Philadelphia Eagles: Kevin Kolb, QB

Coming into this season it looked like Kevin Kolb was going to be the franchise quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. However with the re-emergence of Michael Vick, Kolb has become expendable. Kolb's value could not be higher than it is right now. He has had some success but he is a relative unknown commodity. The Eagles could get quite a bit in return for Kolb including potentially a rather high draft pick or two

** Arizona Cardinals: Max Hall, QB

After watching just how badly the Cardinals struggled at the quarterback position in 2010, there needs to be a change of the guard in Arizona. Max Hall didn't get a chance to make much of an impact last year after struggling with an injury but after seeing John Skelton play it seems like the Cardinals will need to chose one of the two. I expect them to stick with Skelton who got some more playing time. The Cardinals could get some good value in return for Hall. Probably not much, but at least enough to make it worth it.

** Miami Dolphins: Tyler Thigpen, QB

Tyler Thigpen is a very underrated quarterback but I still think he could garner a hefty price for a team looking to make a change at the quarterback position. Now the Dolphins still appear to be committed to Chad Henne as their quarterback of the future, but the could use Thigpen to add some other things they need. The Fins could use a runningback so if they send Thigpen to the 49ers as part of a package for Frank Gore.

** Denver Broncos: Kyle Orton, QB

After a terrible 2010 season the Denver Broncos are in need of some real talent on the defensive side of the football. With the emergence of Tim Tebow at quarterback it seems like Kyle Orton is a guy that the Broncos could move in exchange for some big pieces. Orton is actually a guy that could help a number of NFL teams that are in need of a quarterback.

The question is how much teams would be willing to pay for the former Purdue star.

** Tennessee Titans: Vince Young, QB

The Titans could be going through some real hole-sale changes this year. Not only are they facing their first season with a new coach since the 1990s but they have already announced that they would be moving Vince Young. The Titans will have no shortage of suitors for the former Heisman runner-up. I do think the Titans could be good in 2011 if they were to get the right package in return.

and ... Consideratoins that GM Ted Thompson might pursue:

*** This fella could fill one of our biggest needs, specifically short term at RB and handling KO's / punt returns:

Seattle Seahawks: Leon Washington, RB/KR

The impact that Leon Washington has on special teams cannot be undervalued. However, the Seahawks are going to need more than a kick returner in order to make the leap from one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs to actual contenders. Washington could get a large amount in return if the Seahawks were to consider trading him.

After getting Marshawn Lynch from the Bills that made Washington's impact as a runningback a little more obsolete for the Seahawks

*** or this fella. Would he fit our defense?:

New York Giants: Osi Umenyiora, DE might be signed as a FA. WE have the same option with Leon Washington to cover that major need.

Fine tuning to ensure a real run at a repeat. It's looking very good.

GO PACK GO !

Fritz
02-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Frank Gore? Nah.

Lurker64
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
"I can see Bill Belichick his mouth watering over Gore."

Well, then why doesn't New England trade for him then? It's not like they lack for draft picks.

denverYooper
02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Frank Gore? Nah.

+1

get louder at lambeau
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I'd feel much better about trading Flynn after the draft, assuming the Packers take a QB who would be his intended replacement and they see the rookie perform well in person in OTAs. We really don't need another draft pick this year too badly anyway, and this was supposed to be a weak draft class, right?

Get the new guy, see him work, then trade Flynn if you want and get a pick in the 2012 draft. If trade partners seem less interested after the draft, hold onto Flynn until someone's QB goes down or their new guy starts to flop. A trade of Flynn half way through 2011 might be the best possible scenario. We would get to keep him to back up Rodgers just a little longer, and still get some value. Even if things don't go according to plan, they can just keep him, have a decent backup while the new guy learns, and hope for a compensatory pick after the season.

Obviously I'm discounting Graham Harrell here. I don't know much about him, and I'm assuming that he isn't the answer. If McCarthy and Co. think differently, then that changes everything, and they might as well trade Flynn sooner than later. I'm also assuming the CBA talks don't screw everything up. If that happens, then, well, who knows?

vince
02-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I actually think Graham Harrell will be the next back-up. I've watched him in practice and he moved the ball in preseason. He seems to be very much like Matt Flynn - a tough-minded winner with an accurate arm but lacks the arm strength to be elite. However, I'm not sure he's quite ready yet after one year, particularly if there ends up being no QB school this offseason.

I'd like to see Flynn get his opportunity. He deserves it and he'll get it. He just may have to be patient and wait one more year like Rodgers did.

Fritz
02-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd feel much better about trading Flynn after the draft, assuming the Packers take a QB who would be his intended replacement and they see the rookie perform well in person in OTAs. We really don't need another draft pick this year too badly anyway, and this was supposed to be a weak draft class, right?

Get the new guy, see him work, then trade Flynn if you want and get a pick in the 2012 draft. If trade partners seem less interested after the draft, hold onto Flynn until someone's QB goes down or their new guy starts to flop. A trade of Flynn half way through 2011 might be the best possible scenario. We would get to keep him to back up Rodgers just a little longer, and still get some value. Even if things don't go according to plan, they can just keep him, have a decent backup while the new guy learns, and hope for a compensatory pick after the season.

Obviously I'm discounting Graham Harrell here. I don't know much about him, and I'm assuming that he isn't the answer. If McCarthy and Co. think differently, then that changes everything, and they might as well trade Flynn sooner than later. I'm also assuming the CBA talks don't screw everything up. If that happens, then, well, who knows?

I think this is on the money.

King Friday
02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I think you have to trade Flynn now if there is definitive interest in him. It is a risk, because you probably should have a decent #2 behind AR. On the other hand, Flynn's value probably won't be any higher than it is now though. With such a weak class of QBs in the draft, there is a limited supply of talented kids at the position.

I think we could get a 2nd rounder this year for him...would it be possible to snare a first rounder in the 2012 draft for him?

Freak Out
02-15-2011, 12:03 AM
The only way we get a 1st for Flynn is if Rodgers goes down (shudder) and Flynn wins some games.

Bretsky
02-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I think those who think we garner a second rounder for Matt Flynn are either drunk on Kool Aide or have highjacked Madtowns goodies and are using it often.

Cassell got a second. The Seahawks were raked over the coals on the Whitehurst trade and another team will not allow that to occur. They must have really loved the guy but that trade was a media laugher. When we traded Matt Hasslebeck we received at the time what was equivalent to a second round draft pick as it allowed us to move up seven spots in the draft and live the Reynolds nightmare.

It's a bad year to have leverage to trade a QB as there are plenty of options out there for the QB teams to look at in .....Kolb/McNabb, Young, Flynn, and the draft class

I think most teams offer a fourth and we balk at that. I think it's possible teams might offer a third but I'm almost doubtful of that.

Smeefers
02-15-2011, 07:27 AM
I think most teams offer a fourth and we balk at that. I think it's possible teams might offer a third but I'm almost doubtful of that.

Agreed. Yeah, I think everyone can jump on board with the #2 pick because it's too good to be true. Flynn isn't a game changing QB. We don't have a future top 15 QB sitting on our bench. I'd be happy with a mid round 3rd, but at that price I'm not sure we'd let him go.

Bossman641
02-15-2011, 07:37 AM
I think those who think we garner a second rounder for Matt Flynn are either drunk on Kool Aide or have highjacked Madtowns goodies and are using it often.

Cassell got a second. The Seahawks were raked over the coals on the Whitehurst trade and another team will not allow that to occur. They must have really loved the guy but that trade was a media laugher. When we traded Matt Hasslebeck we received at the time what was equivalent to a second round draft pick as it allowed us to move up seven spots in the draft and live the Reynolds nightmare.

It's a bad year to have leverage to trade a QB as there are plenty of options out there for the QB teams to look at in .....Kolb/McNabb, Young, Flynn, and the draft class

I agree with this, especially if there is no QB school and Harrell doesn't get the chance to further develop. I'd rather hang onto Flynn.

vince
02-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Dan Pompei of National Football Post reported the 2nd round pick. It makes no sense whatsoever IMO for the Packers to deal Flynn for a 4th rounder. If/when he signs with a team as a free agent, he'll very likely sign with someone who wants him to start. If he plays a lot the Packers would probably get a third round compensatory pick. Maybe it's a fourth if he flounders but even at that the Packers would keep him for the year. The Packers dealing him for a third rounder is debatable, as they could very well get a third rounder as a compensatory pick and still retain his services for antoher year.

If he's to be moved, it could well require a second rounder from the Packers perspective. A team looking at a QB in the 2nd round may well look at Flynn as the more attractive option. This is a weak QB draft.

swede
02-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Dan Pompei of National Football Post reported the 2nd round pick. It makes no sense whatsoever IMO for the Packers to deal Flynn for a 4th rounder. If/when he signs with a team as a free agent, he'll very likely sign with someone who wants him to start. If he plays a lot the Packers would probably get a third round compensatory pick. Maybe it's a fourth if he flounders but even at that the Packers would keep him for the year. The Packers dealing him for a third rounder is debatable, as they could very well get a third rounder as a compensatory pick and still retain his services for antoher year.

If he's to be moved, it could well require a second rounder from the Packers perspective. A team looking at a QB in the 2nd round may well look at Flynn as the more attractive option. This is a weak QB draft.

Once again, you have conVinced me.

Freak Out
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Until there is a new CBA all the talk of trading for a draft pick this year is bunk right? If anything is done with the CBA before the draft it will be shocking.

Lurker64
02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Until there is a new CBA all the talk of trading for a draft pick this year is bunk right? If anything is done with the CBA before the draft it will be shocking.

My understanding is actually that teams can freely trade players and picks until March 4, but not after (assuming no CBA).

Smidgeon
02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
My understanding is actually that teams can freely trade players and picks until March 4, but not after (assuming no CBA).

I'm pretty sure they can trade draft picks during the draft but not trade players.

get louder at lambeau
02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Agreed. Yeah, I think everyone can jump on board with the #2 pick because it's too good to be true. Flynn isn't a game changing QB. We don't have a future top 15 QB sitting on our bench. I'd be happy with a mid round 3rd, but at that price I'm not sure we'd let him go.

You think a 2nd is the going rate for game changing, top 15 QBs? The last guy to be traded I can think of who fit that description was Jay Cutler, who cost a starting QB, two first round picks, and a 3rd round pick.

mission
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
You think a 2nd is the going rate for game changing, top 15 QBs? The last guy to be traded I can think of who fit that description was Jay Cutler, who cost a starting QB, two first round picks, and a 3rd round pick.

What could we get for a Top 32 QB using that scale? A 1st round and a 3rd?

I'm sold!! ;)

get louder at lambeau
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
What could we get for a Top 32 QB using that scale? A 1st round and a 3rd?

I'm sold!! ;)

Here's another angle- What could we get for Rodgers using that scale?!?! Give me 6 first rounders and I'll send him out with a bow on his head.

Smidgeon
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Here's another angle- What could we get for Rodgers using that scale?!?! Give me 6 first rounders and I'll send him out with a bow on his head.

Well, it'd have to be six consecutive years of first round picks. Which--if Rodgers is as good as he appears--would be low round picks at the end of the first round after a year or so. I guess two is better than one, but I'd rather have championships.

channtheman
02-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Not in a million years would I trade Rodgers for anything.

get louder at lambeau
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Not in a million years would I trade Rodgers for anything.

What about 6 firsts, 6 seconds, and a 6 pack of Miller High Life?

Lurker64
02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I would trade Rodgers for any team's full complement of non-compensatory draft picks every year for the next decade. Nothing less.

channtheman
02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I would trade Rodgers for any team's full complement of non-compensatory draft picks every year for the next decade. Nothing less.

Maybe, but I think when you are primed to make decent runs at the Super Bowl for the next 5-10 years you take that over draft picks.

woodbuck27
02-16-2011, 01:36 AM

Yes and that 'wait and see', fit's TT's personality.

Scott Campbell
02-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Yes and that 'wait and see', fit's TT's personality.

His Superbowl ring fits his personality too. Told you so.