PDA

View Full Version : Who else is glad...

channtheman
02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
that we didn't have to rely on Crosby all post season? We got off to fast starts in every game except Atlanta (but we all know how that went down). Can you imagine Pittsburgh taking the lead by 3 and then we have to kick a 40+ yard field goal to tie? *shudders*

Gunakor
02-09-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm comfortable with Crosby kicking a 40 yard FG indoors to tie. He's nearly automatic from that distance. Especially indoors. 50 yards I'd start to worry, maybe, but to he honest, I'll bet Crosby could hit 3 of 5 from 60 yards when kicking indoors. Even in game situations. People are way too hard on Crosby IMO.

Brandon494
02-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Dude has a leg but by no means is a clutch kicker. Thank god for Rodgers being money in the redzone.

Little Whiskey
02-09-2011, 07:48 AM
hmmmmmm, seems like we've been down this thread before. i think this is where patler throws out some stats.

Patler
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
:beat:

3irty1
02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I was actually hoping he'd get a chance to prove some people wrong and win the superbowl for us.

Patler
02-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I was surprised MM didn't run him out there for a 55 yard attempt in the 3rd quarter. He chose to punt on 4th down from the Pittsburgh 38, leading by four. He has punted 3 or 4 times recently, rather than trying a 50+ yard FG. I'm glad to see it. Ever since Masthay has shown an ability to punt inside the 20, MM has been more willing to play the field position game.

woodbuck27
02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I was surprised MM didn't run him out there for a 55 yard attempt in the 3rd quarter. He chose to punt on 4th down from the Pittsburgh 38, leading by four. He has punted 3 or 4 times recently, rather than trying a 50+ yard FG. I'm glad to see it. Ever since Masthay has shown an ability to punt inside the 20, MM has been more willing to play the field position game.

Yup ! I can"t wait to see how this run to the Super Bowl will play out in terms of MM's confidence and performance. It all looks very good for us.

GO Pack GO!

gbpackfan
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Ya, Crosby is NOT clutch. A 47 yarder to win it is not going to happen. I dont know what his problem is.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I also thought he'd try for that 55 yarder. Quite makeable I thought.

Wow did Suisham every shank his 52 yard attempt though!!!

Cleft Crusty
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM

This is interesting. Clefty has observed McCarthy being called 'Stubby' around these parts because he sticks to one way of thinking too long or forever. The change in attempting long FGs shows a departure from this pattern. First, take the odds - you have about a 50-50 chance on those long ones, give or take some %age points depending on the actual distance. You have a special teams that routinely gives up long returns (on kickoffs). So, make or miss, you give the other team pretty good field position. At the same time, your defense has improved dramatically, as has your punter and punt coverage team, allowing you to pin the opposition reasonably deep in their own territory - especially outdoors, and especially late in the season. The change in strategy to play field position over the chance of a long FG conversion is a pretty good adjustment by 'Stubby.'

Patler
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Ya, Crosby is NOT clutch. A 47 yarder to win it is not going to happen. I dont know what his problem is.

I guess the two 40 yard FGs in the 4th quarter of a 9-0 win against the Jets weren't clutch kicks, huh? One came with 6:36 remaining, the second with 0:27.

Packgator
02-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Having confidence in the defense helps to make those kinds of decisions easier.

Fritz
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
This is interesting. Clefty has observed McCarthy being called 'Stubby' around these parts because he sticks to one way of thinking too long or forever. The change in attempting long FGs shows a departure from this pattern. First, take the odds - you have about a 50-50 chance on those long ones, give or take some %age points depending on the actual distance. You have a special teams that routinely gives up long returns (on kickoffs). So, make or miss, you give the other team pretty good field position. At the same time, your defense has improved dramatically, as has your punter and punt coverage team, allowing you to pin the opposition reasonably deep in their own territory - especially outdoors, and especially late in the season. The change in strategy to play field position over the chance of a long FG conversion is a pretty good adjustment by 'Stubby.'

Ohh....I thought they called him "Stubby" for another reason....I was wondering how anyone'd know that, too.

RashanGary
02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Dude has a leg but by no means is a clutch kicker. Thank god for Rodgers being money in the redzone.

It's funny how perception changes when guys are given another shot. Last year the Journal Sentinel was writing that Rodgers couldn't win the big game. Then he gets a chance and win 4 of them in a row, including the biggest of them all. If I was you, I wouldn't put so much stock into what a young player hasn't done to this point.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Crosby was far and away the best kicker in the Super Bowl.

mission
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Yup ! I can"t wait to see how this run to the Super Bowl will play out in terms of MM's confidence and performance. It all looks very good for us.

GO Pack GO!

Good to have you back, Woody :)

Smidgeon
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Crosby: (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/115660774.html) “I think we have a very stable operation and I was feeling very comfortable. The second half everything was automatic with the exception of one hiccup on a short one. Everything else was great. I was 90% the second half. I felt great with how I was kicking.”

Tony Oday
02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Crosby sucks

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Crosby sucks

Manhate T.O.

He's in the top half of NFL Kickers

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
hmmmmmm, seems like we've been down this thread before. i think this is where patler throws out some stats.

Patler IMO is the one who tries to use the long term stats of MC to support his views

mmmdk
02-09-2011, 09:23 PM

This is true!

mmmdk
02-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Crosby sucks

This is also true ! :lol:

Patler
02-10-2011, 05:46 AM

He was in the playoff game against Philadelphia too, at least for that day!

mmmdk
02-10-2011, 06:25 AM
He was in the playoff game against Philadelphia too, at least for that day!

Crosby was a receiver in his younger days; so he's pretty much a natural at kicking & he also has a storied college career. Crosby kicked a 58 yarder, was 12-13 on FGs in the 4th Q and was Mr. Touchback. These attributes hasn't translated to his pro days in the NFL with the Packers; here he's average which is still pretty good as approximately only 15 guys are better in the world at the position. Why don't I trust him? I don't like his technique and to me, it seems like Crosby has a "different" approach to each kick...it's ever so little but it looks "wrong" and displaced compared to the mechanics I see/have seen with the really good or great kickers. So there!

Patler
02-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Crosby was a receiver in his younger days; so he's pretty much a natural at kicking & he also has a storied college career. Crosby kicked a 58 yarder, was 12-13 on FGs in the 4th Q and was Mr. Touchback. These attributes hasn't translated to his pro days in the NFL with the Packers; here he's average which is still pretty good as approximately only 15 guys are better in the world at the position. Why don't I trust him? I don't like his technique and to me, it seems like Crosby has a "different" approach to each kick...it's ever so little but it looks "wrong" and displaced compared to the mechanics I see/have seen with the really good or great kickers. So there!

I was referring to the missed FGs by the Eagles in the playoff game, from a pro-bowl kicker yet!
I thought Crosby was a safety in his younger days, not a receiver?

mmmdk
02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I was referring to the missed FGs by the Eagles in the playoff game, from a pro-bowl kicker yet!
I thought Crosby was a safety in his younger days, not a receiver?

I think Crosby (probably?) tried more than one position but according to an interview with a Danish sportsjournalist during SB media week, Crosby said 'widereceiver'. Crosby also told he got texted by Morten Andersen with 'good luck' or something. Lastly, Crosby told he NEVER, NEVER thought or dreamed he'd be a kicker - at any level. As a boy he wanted to be 'Joe Montana'...as many football boys did! To me it was obvious; Crosby doesn't love his trade but his talent was through the roof during college. He's now a SB champ...money will talk and I believe he's a UFA. Go figure!!!

Patler
02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
I think Crosby (probably?) tried more than one position but according to an interview with a Danish sportsjournalist during SB media week, Crosby said 'widereceiver'.

I wonder if there was something lost in translation!? From his bio:

High school: As a junior and senior at Georgetown (Texas) High School, earned first-team All-District 13-5A honors as a K, P and FS, adding All-Central Texas region recognition at K... PrepStar named him to its All-Midlands team, while Rivals.com ranked him as the third-best placekicker in the nation... During his final two seasons, converted 15-of-21 FGs (long of 59) and 40-of-45 PATs... Owned a 38.2-yard average for 100 punts (64 long), with 18 punts downed inside the 20-yard line, including five inside the 5... At FS those two years, recorded 136 tackles (51 solo, 18 for loss) with six INTs, seven passes broken up, three forced fumbles and four recoveries...

mmmdk
02-10-2011, 08:09 AM

WE SPEAK ENGLISH!!! IT WAS IN ENGLISH!!! It's Americans that normally aren't bilingual.

This was either stupidly or arrogantly put. Geez!

mmmdk
02-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Ok - I haven't been able to dig up any 'receiver' past with Crosby...yet. Maybe Crosby's just stupid and doesn't understand english questions?

Patler
02-10-2011, 08:27 AM

WE SPEAK ENGLISH!!! IT WAS IN ENGLISH!!! It's Americans that normally aren't bilingual.

This was either stupidly or arrogantly put. Geez!

Geez, relax. I was kidding! I might have used the same phrase with two people who have the same native language. It implies a basic misunderstanding of some sort. A "failure to communicate" even though they are talking to each other. It is not a phrase intended literally.

I know you speak English. I have spent a great amount of time all over Europe and never had a problem being understood, even though I am a stupid American with only one second language in which I can communicate. I found many who were conversant in 3 and 4 languages.

But obviously there is a misunderstanding of some sort in this interview. I suspect it is in understanding the terms and description of the sport. Did you see the interview, or read it? If the interviewer was not real familiar with the terminology of American football, and face it, many sports journalists know only a few sports well, Crosby may have described what a safety does in covering a wide receiver, and the interviewer misunderstood it as that he was a wide receiver.

Obviously, something went wrong, because Crosby has often referred to his career as a safety and the pride he takes in doing a good job covering his kicks and making tackles because of that experience.

Patler
02-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Ok - I haven't been able to dig up any 'receiver' past with Crosby...yet. Maybe Crosby's just stupid and doesn't understand english questions?

Did you see the interview, or read it? My experience with written summaries of interviews is that they are often inaccurate, paraphrased inaccurately, even quoted inaccurately. Heck, we saw that recently in the written summaries and quotes from Rodgers interviews before the Supper Bowl. If you listen to the interviews it is much different that what was written in the articles.

For a mistake to have been made, it does not require that either Crosby or the interviewer be "just stupid". Either could have made an honest mistake in stating the question, understanding the question, stating the answer or recalling the answer; and it has nothing to do with different languages. People often struggle in question and answer scenarios even speaking the same language.

Heck, sit through a legal deposition sometime and you will see it happen repeatedly.

Bretsky
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Crosby is money and I'd have had no problem watching him drill a 42 yarder for the win.

Freak Out
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I have no problem with Crosby....well...other than he doesn't boom every KO out of the end zone so there is no possibility of a return. :)

MJZiggy
02-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I have no problem with Crosby....well...other than he doesn't boom every KO out of the end zone so there is no possibility of a return. :)

He also doesn't always wear a jock when he kicks and sometimes it shows. He can stay. End of story.

hoosier
02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
He also doesn't always wear a jock when he kicks and sometimes it shows. He can stay. End of story.

If I remember correctly he was wearing one against Atlanta in the divisional round. Cuz he left it on the field after Weems blew by him on his big return.

MJZiggy
02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
If I remember correctly he was wearing one against Atlanta in the divisional round. Cuz he left it on the field after Weems blew by him on his big return.

Maybe that explains why he doesn't always have it on.

mmmdk
02-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Did you see the interview, or read it? My experience with written summaries of interviews is that they are often inaccurate, paraphrased inaccurately, even quoted inaccurately. Heck, we saw that recently in the written summaries and quotes from Rodgers interviews before the Supper Bowl. If you listen to the interviews it is much different that what was written in the articles.

For a mistake to have been made, it does not require that either Crosby or the interviewer be "just stupid". Either could have made an honest mistake in stating the question, understanding the question, stating the answer or recalling the answer; and it has nothing to do with different languages. People often struggle in question and answer scenarios even speaking the same language.

Heck, sit through a legal deposition sometime and you will see it happen repeatedly.

Think nothing of it; I just sprung a leak in my head. Sorry!

I saw the the interview a few hours prior to the SB and I haven't been able to scoop it up on anywhere. But if I recall right, he did say 'receiver' yet he never mentioned when he played it. He didn't during high school or college for sure.

What football do youngster play prior to high school? Was Crosby talking backyard football? Well, not out of the question.

mmmdk
02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Crosby is money and I'd have had no problem watching him drill a 42 yarder for the win.

I can second this...but only if it's a dome or a big barn like the one in Dallas :lol:

Noodle
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
This crap that Crosby is not clutch is just stupid. Really. I have a lot of faith in the guy, but I'm also glad that Masthay/Bush have proved to be an elite combo in getting the ball downed inside the 10.

Truth is, the footing was not good in the Jerry Dome. On that Steeler miss, you could see that the kicker's foot slipped big time. Not good when you're trying to torque in to a long distance kick. Given the conditions and the excellence of Masthay/Bush (punters don't torque), I thought MM's punt decision was the right call.

But to all the Crosby haters -- shut it down and be happy that we have one of the better kickers in the league.

Fritz
02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Hey Bretsky....love the signature....and when the bikini girls bow to TT, can I stand behind them?

MJZiggy
02-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey Bretsky....love the signature....and when the bikini girls bow to TT, can I stand behind them?

You need to get laid, honey.

rbaloha1
02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Crosby is becoming more reliable but I am still somewhat nervous late in games. Now Jarrett Bush makes me continual nervous lining up as a db except when blitzing.

MJZiggy
02-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Crosby is becoming more reliable but I am still somewhat nervous late in games. Now Jarrett Bush makes me continual nervous lining up as a db except when blitzing.
He did ok in his last game...

channtheman
02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, why is Crosby considered a clutch kicker? Other than his first game ever and maybe the Jets game this year, he has missed or had blocked most of his game winning attempts. I also don't see where any of you have confidence in him kicking a game winning field goal... at least until he makes them more than he misses them. I wouldn't get rid of Crosby right now but I also would not feel that confident if he had to kick a game winning field goal. Yeah he makes 80 percent of his kicks if you compare him to other kickers and take out a bunch of his long kicks. But, I really don't get where the supreme confidence comes from or why people like Noodle tell the "haters" that it is stupid to say Crosby isn't clutch. Can you please show me all of his clutch moments?

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Who said they were supremely confident in Crosby's "clutchness?" I think Bretsky's tongue was firmly in his cheek. Crosby has a big leg, he's more accurate than you think considering how often he is asked to make difficult kicks, his kickoffs were good before this year, and he's unbelievable on onside attempts. He hasn't proven his "clutchness."

channtheman
02-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Then I don't get why anyone disagreed with the premise of this topic.

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Then I don't get why anyone disagreed with the premise of this topic.

Did you read the replies? I would have felt better about Crosby making a kick indoors at the Super Bowl. He's nearly automatic indoors.

bobblehead
02-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Did you read the replies? I would have felt better about Crosby making a kick indoors at the Super Bowl. He's nearly automatic indoors.

Except for that game winner...er nonwinner against minnesota a couple years ago.

channtheman
02-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Except for that game winner...er nonwinner against minnesota a couple years ago.

Or his Thanksgiving miss at Detroit a couple of years ago. I don't think it matters where Crosby kicks, he seems to not be automatic.

HarveyWallbangers
02-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Or his Thanksgiving miss at Detroit a couple of years ago. I don't think it matters where Crosby kicks, he seems to not be automatic.

And those would be the only two regular season indoor kicks he's missed in his career. The Minnesota kick was from 52 yards, but apparently for Crosby those are supposed to be automatic. He also made his other two kicks in that game. Both 40+ yarders. The Lions kick was a 43 yarder in a 34-12 win.

Bretsky
02-13-2011, 07:02 AM
And those would be the only two regular season indoor kicks he's missed in his career. The Minnesota kick was from 52 yards, but apparently for Crosby those are supposed to be automatic. He also made his other two kicks in that game. Both 40+ yarders. The Lions kick was a 43 yarder in a 34-12 win.

BOOM

woodbuck27
02-13-2011, 07:51 AM
It's funny how perception changes when guys are given another shot. Last year the Journal Sentinel was writing that Rodgers couldn't win the big game. Then he gets a chance and win 4 of them in a row, including the biggest of them all. If I was you, I wouldn't put so much stock into what a young player hasn't done to this point.

Everyone here at Packerrats can grow fr. your accurate point, JH.

We can see a total healing process ensure the overall strength and continuity of this. Our Packer HOME. It can be ALL so very good !!

THat Packer Super Bowl can usher in a total healing over the events we've all felt since the Brett Favre era; and his departure. A coming together od all camps. A total Packer all in support and GOOD KARMA for OUR team.

I congatulate YOU 'as one of the true believers'. You always believed JH.

GO PACK GO!

Scott Campbell
02-13-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm just glad we'll never again see a post about Ted's ego. Right Woody?

mmmdk
02-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Can I kick it?

MJZiggy
02-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Can I kick it?

Can you make a 60-yarder with the game on the line for millions of dollars and with millions of people watching you?

gbgary
02-13-2011, 07:27 PM

lol

Joemailman
02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm just glad we'll never again see a post about Ted's ego. Right Woody?

You obviously underestimate Merlin.