PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft thread

3irty1
02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Normally we are waiting forever for the college all-star games but when your season lasts an extra month, you have plenty of other football to talk about! We're just a few weeks away from the combine now. Winning the superbowl rules!

Anyways, lets see your draft/offseason wishlists! I'll go first:

1.32)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4fMX0d9b7Tc/TDuRGjgHXpI/AAAAAAAAAIs/jKw9ZX3h6nA/s320/Ijalana_Ben1_NOVA.jpg
Benjamin Ijalana, T/G, Villanova
6'4" 320 lbs

Ijalana was a dominant LT at the FCS level and will at least get a chance to show that he can do it in the NFL. Ijalana is a little short for a tackle but has the length and athleticism to play the position. I envision Ijalana seeing playing time at LG this year before being tried at LT when Clifton hangs it up.

2.32)
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3295/76392142752746286216730.jpg
Dontay Moch, DE/LB, Nevada
6'1" 230 lbs

Elite first step. And second step. And third step. Best case scenario Dontay is a special player that can blow past offensive tackles and run with elite tight ends. Having him on the field will make it difficult to turn the corner on this defense. In his first year he should add speed to an already speedy defense and provide a great athlete and playmaker for special teams.

3.32)
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8981/natesuplex.gif
Nate Irving, LB, NC State
6'1" 240 lbs

FATALITY

Desmond Bishop is in, Barnett or Hawk is likely out. Either way some inside linebacker depth is needed. Irving is a nasty defender who excels doing the dirty work but is also underrated in coverage. He's got a knack for interior blitzes and brings a nasty attitude our defense is missing without Barnett.

4.32)
Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State
6'0" 195 lbs

A modern day Herb Adderley. This former RB has only been a corner for two seasons but is already a speedy ballhawk. With the gains Shields made this year, Curtis Marsh is a no brainer for our club.

5.32)
Dwayne Harris, WR, East Carolina
5'10" 205 lbs

A polished slot WR and capable kick returner. Looks and plays like Devon Bess. Harris will return kicks and slowly become part of the offense as DD is phased out.

5.C) (from Aaron Kampman)
Willie Smith, T, East Carolina
6'5" 305 lbs

Another East Carolina guy but this is a pick I'm excited about. Smith is a gifted athlete in all aspects of his game. With some NFL coaching I wouldn't be surprised if he could take over for Clifton in a year.

6.32)
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID46620/images/100723234832resized_Markus_White.jpg
Markus White, DE/OLB, FSU
6'4" 262 lbs

White will be 24 by draft time but just had a breakout year. He's got speed to threaten the edge and a non-stop motor. I expect him to show some impressive measureables at the combine. White could find himself a regular in our 2-4 opposite Clay Mathews.

7.1)(from Carolina)
Ryan Jones, CB, Northwest Missouri State
5'11" 195 lbs

Another typical TT cornerback. Has size, speed, and some ball skills. Seems to have goofy footwork sometimes but he is physical in the run game and should contribute on special teams.

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Too early for me.

SavedByGrace
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
LOVE this stuff!!!

SkinBasket
02-09-2011, 12:36 PM
He's got a knack for interior blitzes and brings a nasty attitude our defense is missing without Barnett.

The only thing nasty about Barnett was the terrible angles he would take against the run.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I like Moch, he's the player I most want to see run at the combine. Not sure if he's ready to start right away.

Another OLB guy I like is Brooks Reed out of Arizona, he's a bit of a poor man's Clay Matthews.

OS PA
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Way too early to predict, but no reason not to.

I'm wishing for Gabe Carimi or John Moffitt.
Casey Matthews or Jacquizz Rogers.

3irty1
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
The only thing nasty about Barnett was the terrible angles he would take against the run.

Barnett's an asshole on a team of nice upstanding gentleman. Irving also stikes me as a dickhead. He'll cock off before games and drink people's blood and stuff. Just look at that suplex.

3irty1
02-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I like Moch, he's the player I most want to see run at the combine. Not sure if he's ready to start right away.

Another OLB guy I like is Brooks Reed out of Arizona, he's a bit of a poor man's Clay Matthews.

Brooks Reed really separated himself at the senior bowl. The guy never gives up on a play a la Clay but Isn't half the athlete.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Brooks Reed really separated himself at the senior bowl. The guy never gives up on a play a la Clay but Isn't half the athlete.

Well, that's why he's a "poor man's" Matthews and a second day pick at best. Remember, we're trying to upgrade from Frank Zombo, the bar isn't set especially high.

Smidgeon
02-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Well, that's why he's a "poor man's" Matthews and a second day pick at best. Remember, we're trying to upgrade from Frank Zombo, the bar isn't set especially high.

From Zombo or from Jones? Unless I'm off the mark, I would expect Jones to resume his spot in the starting lineup barring a drafted player taking over.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
From Zombo or from Jones? Unless I'm off the mark, I would expect Jones to resume his spot in the starting lineup barring a drafted player taking over.

I'm all in favor of just throwing things at the ROLB position until we find someone who sticks.

SkinBasket
02-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Barnett's an asshole on a team of nice upstanding gentleman. Irving also stikes me as a dickhead. He'll cock off before games and drink people's blood and stuff. Just look at that suplex.

Barnett thinks he's an asshole and a tough guy. In reality, he's just a dork.

I believe this other guy might have real fire in him. A little Wayne Simmons. All Barnett's got is a little Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

3irty1
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Barnett thinks he's an asshole and a tough guy. In reality, he's just a dork.

I believe this other guy might have real fire in him. A little Wayne Simmons. All Barnett's got is a little Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

You're really not going to miss him when he's gone are you?

3irty1
02-09-2011, 04:57 PM

If Reed's got some rocket boots at the combine and does really well on the jumping or the 10 yard dash then I'll be on board with him. You gotta love his look though. I'm not sure he's the best pass rusher on his own team. Elmore has some moves as well. What made Clay such a steal is that he was miscast in USC's 4-3 as a SOLB who had some rush responsibilities. The guy that kind of fits that bill this year is Illinois MLB Martez Wilson. They've moved him around and let him get after it and supposedly he's good at it. I've never seen any of him for myself though.

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Way too early to predict, but no reason not to.

I'm wishing for Gabe Carimi or John Moffitt.
Casey Matthews or Jacquizz Rogers.

I think we might have a shot at Carimi in round one and Moffit in round two. Then Matthews in round 3. Repeat !

Brandon494
02-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Who cares about the draft when we wont even have football next season.

RashanGary
02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Normally I'm getting into the draft fairly heavy by now. The way this season went and ended. . . . I'm not as interested as usual. Plus it's supposed to be a very shallow draft and we don't pick until 32.

Next year I have a feeling we'll get alot more help from returning injured players than we do draft picks. Plus we have a ton of young players who are still improving in their careers. We should have a lot of growth from within this year.

swede
02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Normally I'm getting into the draft fairly heavy by now. The way this season went and ended. . . . I'm not as interested as usual. Plus it's supposed to be a very shallow draft and we don't pick until 32.

Next year I have a feeling we'll get alot more help from returning injured players than we do draft picks. Plus we have a ton of young players who are still improving in their careers. We should have a lot of growth from within this year.

Hey we get the first pick in EVERY round! (Except the first one)

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Hey we get the first pick in EVERY round! (Except the first one)

Well, we have the first pick in the second and third rounds, compensatory picks kind of confuse the issue after that.

ND72
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Changed my facebook status tp NFL draft season Monday night...love it!

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I love the draft as much as anybody, but I don't know how much I'm going to be able to get into it until the combine. Still, once the combine starts... I'm all aboard the "crazy for the draft" train. I imagine the PackerRats draft thread won't be quite as active this year though.

Though maybe we can lure back Rastak, since he's good company during the draft. His team has more going on early.

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
With no Bucks team this year I'm stoked for the draft, and it's only ten weeks away

TT, show us some Bucky Love. Carimi in Green n Gold !!!!!!!!!!!

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
With no Bucks team this year I'm stoked for the draft, and it's only ten weeks away

TT, show us some Bucky Love. Carimi in Green n Gold !!!!!!!!!!!

Would you settle for J.J. Watt?

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Would you settle for J.J. Watt?

As a Badger fan I'd be happy; not sure how much he'd help us with our defense though so I don't think I'd use a first on him

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
As a Badger fan I'd be happy; not sure how much he'd help us with our defense though so I don't think I'd use a first on him

Kid was born to play 5-tech, and is easily worth #32... but there'd be a logjam at the position, so I dunno.

woodbuck27
02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
2011 NFL Mock Draft: A Complete Look at the Entire First Round

By Chris Leyden (Contributor) on February 7, 2011

LINK for First Round Mock Draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/600301-2011-nfl-mock-draft-a-complete-look-at-the-entire-1st-round

At #32 we're predicted to go BPA given our solid overall roster status or possibly choose:

Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor.

GO PACK GO!

Lurker64
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/600301-2011-nfl-mock-draft-a-complete-look-at-the-entire-1st-round

At #32 we're predicted to go BPA given our solid overall roster status or possibly choose:

Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor.

GO PACK GO!

Don't like it. Baylor is an excellent physical specimen, but he's a classic boom or bust pick. He's got character issues, he's not quick to diagnose run/pass keys, his pad level is regularly too high so he doesn't anchor very well. I honestly think that Mike Neal is a better player.

There's a ridiculous run on guys I would put as 5-tech in that first, we'd be better off going in the direction of a different position IMO. But if you made me pick a 5-tech at #32 with the board falling as it did in the first #31, I like Temple's Muhammed Wilkerson better... that kid's got huge upside, experience at the position, and reportedly is a very coachable kid.

3irty1
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm really starting to think that we'll try to trade up in the first. There are some perfect fits up about 8-10 picks that fill some needs.

I agree that we don't have much use for another NT. Especially if Jolly returns and reclaims his starting spot. Pickett will be rotational and a backup NT.

3irty1
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd be pleased with JJ Watt. He's a guy who will always give you good snaps.

pbmax
02-12-2011, 04:28 PM
I read that Moffit struggled mightily at the Senior Bowl practices. Anyone confirm that?

Lurker64
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I read that Moffit struggled mightily at the Senior Bowl practices. Anyone confirm that?

He looked decent at Senior Bowl practices from what I saw/read. Seemed like a guy you could make into an NFL player. In terms of the actual game, the North Squad was terrible on offense since 2/3 QBs couldn't get passes to a place where receivers could catch them and Kaepernick (a guy I actually kind of want the Packers to draft if he's there on day 3) had his receivers drop a whole bunch of passes.

woodbuck27
02-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Don't like it. Baylor is an excellent physical specimen, but he's a classic boom or bust pick. He's got character issues, he's not quick to diagnose run/pass keys, his pad level is regularly too high so he doesn't anchor very well. I honestly think that Mike Neal is a better player.

There's a ridiculous run on guys I would put as 5-tech in that first, we'd be better off going in the direction of a different position IMO. But if you made me pick a 5-tech at #32 with the board falling as it did in the first #31, I like Temple's Muhammed Wilkerson better... that kid's got huge upside, experience at the position, and reportedly is a very coachable kid.

How about this fella for our first pick?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/611018-2011-nfl-mock-draft-projecting-all-32-1st-round-picks?utm_source=bleacherreport.com#page/33

32. Green Bay Packers, Brandon Harris, CB Miami

Why Brandon Harris Goes Here:

The Packers secondary is going to need some upgrades and some youth this offseason. The Packers won the Super Bowl in spite of the injuries, but they did highlight where a need is.

Comment woodbuck27:

With Al Harris"s departure the young CB's stepped up and show excellent promise but can we pass on such a need given the pass happy NFC?

What Harris's Role Will Be

Provide the Packers with good pass defense on both sides of the field.

GO PACKERS!

sharpe1027
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
his pad level is regularly too high

We’ll get that cleaned up tomorrow.

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Right now I'm thinking:

Derek Sherrod OT Miss St. Not a great run blocker, but may be a more natural LT than Bulaga.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Derek-Sherrod.php

Derek Sherrod
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
• Ideal height and good bulk with large hands
• Quick and agile with above average athleticism
• Light on feet. Able to slide and mirror laterally
• Good footwork, balance and body control
• Technically sound and uses his hands well
• Understands positioning and angles
• Great pass blocker and can protect the edge
• Does a solid job in the run game as a drive blocker
• Effective in space and can get to the second level
• Smart with excellent instincts and awareness
• Mature, hard working and a leader
• Is tough and has proven to be durable
• Tons of experience versus top competition

Weaknesses:
• Just average strength and overall power
• Doesn't have real long arms but adequate
• Will get tall and lose leverage at times
• Not overly stout at the point of attack
• Has some trouble anchoring and sustaining
• Isn't a dominant road grading run blocker
• Not overly aggressive and may lack a killer instinct

Notes:
Was a three-year starter at left tackle for the Bulldogs and served as a team captain --- Brother, Dezmond, also played at Mississippi State as a tight end (2003-2007), spent some time with the Pittsburgh Steelers and is currently with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL --- Also had scholarship offers from schools like Florida, Miami (FL), Notre Dame and Michigan --- Saw extensive action in a backup capacity as a true freshman in '07 --- Missed one game with a foot infection in '08 --- Was named 1st Team All-SEC in 2010 --- Also excelled in the classroom, graduating Cum Laude with a degree in business and receiving the NFF Scholar-Athlete Award --- The type who does everything well but nothing great --- Possesses both the physical tools and intangibles that you look for in a left tackle prospect --- Not particularly flashy but very consistent and arguably the best all - around blocker in this class.

rbaloha1
02-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Mel Kiper talked about an Indiana wr late in the first round as a good prospect. Return man as well. Given JJ's potential departure, DD's age and Swain's poor performance the Packers may need another playmaker.

Also like Greg Salas, wr from Hawaii as Day 2 or 3 pick. Runs good routes, great hands and YAC. Knows how to get open. Only slow 40 time prevents from being selected earlier. Todd McShay really likes Salas.

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Tandon Doss is the Indiana WR Mel would be talking about. Doesn't seem like anyone else sees him as a 1st round pick, but it's early. Doss would not have been at the Senior Bowl, so the Combine would be important for him.

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
The Packers secondary is going to need some upgrades and some youth this offseason.

We do? We just had the #1 pass defense; Shields is 23, Williams is 27, Collins is 27, and Burnett is 22. Obviously, I would just defer to Ted and Dom on how much a rookie CB would actually play, but I'm not sure it's a lot.

Packgator
02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike Pouncey (C/G).....Florida Gators

Pittsburgh will pick (31st) just before the Packers so that could be a problem.

ThunderDan
02-17-2011, 02:47 PM

I doubt Mike will go that high. Everything I have heard is he isn't as good as his twin brother. NFL radio said he probably goes in the late 2nd or 3rd because of his brother but should go in the 4th.

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Pouncey struggled with shotgun snaps in 2010, so he may be projected as a G only. I still wouldn't expect him to last very far into the 2nd round.

swede
02-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Super Bowl XLVI...The Pouncey twins vs. the Matthews Bros.

Smidgeon
02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
When looking at mock drafts, is it still weird to anyone else that you have to go all the way to the end of the first round to find Green Bay? I still don't think the Super Bowl victory has completely sunk in yet. I guess this is what over a decade of heartbreaking playoff losses does for my psyche...

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 04:31 PM
When looking at mock drafts, is it still weird to anyone else that you have to go all the way to the end of the first round to find Green Bay? I still don't think the Super Bowl victory has completely sunk in yet. I guess this is what over a decade of heartbreaking playoff losses does for my psyche...

I'm used to scrolling down or clicking the "next page" link, since we've picked below 16 a lot. Still, 32 is a little jarring... yet awesome.

I haven't fully internalized that absolutely nobody has any clue who we're going to draft at #32 though. Though I really didn't see us trading down in 2008 to get Jordy Nelson, either.

Smidgeon
02-17-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm used to scrolling down or clicking the "next page" link, since we've picked below 16 a lot. Still, 32 is a little jarring... yet awesome.

I haven't fully internalized that absolutely nobody has any clue who we're going to draft at #32 though. Though I really didn't see us trading down in 2008 to get Jordy Nelson, either.

I think I've seen every position mentioned except TE, S, and QB.

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

I've seen a Safety mentioned, Rahim Moore from UCLA.

I don't think we'll see TE or QB. Maybe you and I should mocks so we can have the full set.

(Presumably you're also omitting LS, K, and P; either that or you've been reading some messed up mock drafts.)

Freak Out
02-17-2011, 05:38 PM
It has to be BPA right? :) The few that I've seen were either CB or Ol of some type.

3irty1
02-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Who would be irate at selecting a QB with #32 overall?

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
There are probably a lot of positions you can eliminate. There are certain positions where you will probably never see TT use a 1st round pick unless someone has a Rodgers -type slide. These would be C, G, TE,and ILB in addition to the positions that are never drafted by anyone in the 1st round. He's not going to draft a QB in the 1st round. That leaves WR, RB, OT, DL, OLB, CB and S as possibilities. With the exception of S, those are all strong possibilities.

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
The Packers haven't spent a first round pick on a running back in the last 20 years, I sincerely doubt they start this April. Especially since none of the backs in this draft are all that special (in the sense that a player like Adrian Peterson is special).

3irty1
02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
There are probably a lot of positions you can eliminate. There are certain positions where you will probably never see TT use a 1st round pick unless someone has a Rodgers -type slide. These would be C, G, TE,and ILB in addition to the positions that are never drafted by anyone in the 1st round. He's not going to draft a QB in the 1st round. That leaves WR, RB, OT, DL, OLB, CB and S as possibilities. With the exception of S, those are all strong possibilities.

Why would you rule out C or G? I expect both Spitz and Colledge to walk in free agency. A guy like Mike Pouncy seems like a strong possibility in the first. TE I wouldn't rule out either. The end of the first is about Kyle Rudolph territory and after seeing how NE's offense rolled this year with a pair of great young tight ends, you can't rule something like that out. As for a QB... also a strong possibility if TT really likes someone who is there. Flynn could probably be dealt CBA permitting or else he'll surely walk in free agency next year. That will leave us without a quality backup. Pick #32 is the cheapest 5 year deal giving us a top QB to develop and fill in when needed until he can be dealt for a top draft pick in coming years.

ILB I agree with you on. Nobody in this draft is probably even worth that high of a pick and the Packers already have a bit of a log jam at the position.

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 07:37 PM
You can rule out TE, because we're probably going to roll into 2011 with Finley, Quarless, and Crabtree. I don't expect Rudolph would supplant any of those three on the roster, and it's a catastrophically poor class at TE anyway, Rudolph isn't half the prospect of Gronkowski and I wouldn't take him over Hernandez either.

Picking a backup QB with your top pick when you have a young starter is sort of a nonsensical move. You can pick a guy three rounds later and teach him the game.

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I ruled out C, G, and TE simply because I suspect TT believes he can find good players at those positions after the 1st 2 rounds. That's not to say he won't draft an OT who ends up playing G, but I don't think he'll draft guys who played C or G in college in the 1st round. Pretty much the same thing at TE. He found Finley in the 3rd round and Quarless in the 5th. I think it would have to be a huge value pick for him to take a TE in the 1st.

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't think he will draft a guy who played G in college, but I wouldn't rule out Mike Pouncey who played a year of Center as well. The most probably reason we wouldn't take Pouncey would be that Pittsburgh would have trouble resisting putting the twins next to each other and settling the interior of their OL for a decade. But I think "TT thinks Lang will start at LG" is probably the most likely outcome.

Smidgeon
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM

I don't think we'll see TE or QB. Maybe you and I should mocks so we can have the full set.

(Presumably you're also omitting LS, K, and P; either that or you've been reading some messed up mock drafts.)

Specialists aren't real football players, right? ;)

denverYooper
02-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Ted's going to think outside of the box and grab that kicker from Nebraska.

woodbuck27
02-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I believe TT wil go BPA leaning to one of two positions. CB or an OL prospect. We'll soon need a LT and a team cannot have enough good CB prospects to develop given 'the pass happy' NFC.

On another note I read this today:

NFL Combine 2011: 10 Worst Wonderlic Scores in Combine History

By Sean Zerillo (Contributor) on February 15, 2011

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/609895-2011-nfl-draft-10-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-combine-history?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Some Predictions on Packers 1st round pick:

Draft Insiders Aldon Smith DE Missouri
Ourlads Corey Liuget DL Illinois
Draft Tek Justin Houston OLB Georgia
Great Blue North Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
Football's Future Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
Walter Football Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
Draft King Tyron Smith OT USC
New Era Scouting Christian Ballard DE Iowa
New NFL Draft Mark Ingram RB Alabama
Draft Dog Benjamin Ljalana OT Villanova
Draft Countdown Aaron Williams CB Texas
Sporting News Mark Ingram RB Alabama

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Some Predictions on Packers 1st round pick:

Draft Insiders Aldon Smith DE Missouri
Ourlads Corey Liuget DL Illinois
Draft Tek Justin Houston OLB Georgia
Great Blue North Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
Football's Future Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
Walter Football Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
Draft King Tyron Smith OT USC
New Era Scouting Christian Ballard DE Iowa
New NFL Draft Mark Ingram RB Alabama
Draft Dog Benjamin Ljalana OT Villanova
Draft Countdown Aaron Williams CB Texas
Sporting News Mark Ingram RB Alabama

Ijalana and Houston are my two favorites of that group. I'd be happy with either, at this point.

Iron Mike
02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Ljalana and Bulaga as bookends???

http://zebrabelly.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/o-rly__ruserious.jpg

Lurker64
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Ljalana and Bulaga as bookends???

http://zebrabelly.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/o-rly__ruserious.jpg

Ijalana's a bit more of a developmental guy, I imagine they'd give him a look at LG right away though. He's got all the tools you could want: he's physical enough to play OG, and athletic enough to play OT. Kick step needs work, which is why you start him inside, but his pad level is outstanding.

Guiness
02-18-2011, 12:57 AM

Well, that's as good a reason to guess that order as anything else. You probably just nailed what we take in the first 3 rounds.

Could we carry 5 TE's next year?

woodbuck27
02-18-2011, 01:51 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/607626-2011-green-bay-packers-7-round-mock-draft

2011 NFL Mock Draft: Who Will the Green Bay Packers Take With Their Picks?

By Ian Hanley (Featured Columnist) on February 13, 2011...You can follow me on Twitter @IanHanley75

With the Super Bowl celebrations mostly out of the way, the Packers and their fans can set their sights on this April's draft, which, barring a labor agreement between the NFL owners and Players Association, will be the only off-season excitement NFL fans get for awhile.

Admittedly it is a little early to be looking at the players teams will be drafting in April. Players will rise and fall based on their performances at their school's pro days and the NFL Combine. In the next couple of months, players who look like a first or second round pick could fall to the late rounds or may not get drafted at all, and players that few have even heard of will skyrocket up draft boards and be picked in the early rounds.

Complicating matters further for Packer fans is Ted Thompson's draft philosophy. Thompson truly does choose the best player available, and with the Packers having the last pick in most rounds, I think it is highly likely that Thompson will make some picks early on that surprise a lot of Packer fans.

All of that being said, here is a look at some of the players that could help the Packers make a run at back to back championships.

Click LINK please.

packrulz
02-18-2011, 05:23 AM
TT has actually drafted quite a few offensive lineman already, they supposedly are grooming Newhouse at LT and McDonald at C, unless a guy like Pouncey dropped I doubt TT will draft an offensive lineman. Ron Wolf used to draft DB's every year, I could see TT taking a DB like Jimmy Smith, especially since he played on special teams. A guy like Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue or J.J. Watt, DE, WI, would be tempting too, if he lets Jenkins go. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland is a dynamic kick returner with good size and speed I like, he could be a deep threat WR that we could use.

Iron Mike
02-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Ijalana's a bit more of a developmental guy, I imagine they'd give him a look at LG right away though. He's got all the tools you could want: he's physical enough to play OG, and athletic enough to play OT. Kick step needs work, which is why you start him inside, but his pad level is outstanding.

I think M3 just got wood. :)

vince
02-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Wes Bunting from NFP's ranking of 3-4 OLBs. He also ranks NT's and 3-4 DEs here.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-top-34-prospects.html

Top rush linebackers

1. Von Miller: Texas A&M (6-3, 237)
Lacks great size, but is simply the most natural pass rusher in this year’s draft.

2. Robert Quinn: UNC (6-5, 268)
Is a better fit as a 4-3 DE in my view, but looks fluid enough in space to make the move as a 34-rush guy if need be.

3. Akeem Ayers: UCLA (6-4, 255)
His size makes him a perfect fit for the position and he does have some experience rushing the passer.

4. Justin Houston: Georgia (6-3, 258)
He’s more explosive off the edge coiled up in a three-point stance, but with the needs for 34 rush backers, Houston should definitely get a long look in round one.

5. Aldon Smith: Missouri (6-4, 258)
Much like Quinn, he seems like a better fit with his hand on the ground, but has the natural athleticism to get a long look standing up as well.

6. Martez Wilson: Illinois (6-4, 250)
Was at his best this season when Illinois allowed him to create havoc off the edge and rush the passer.

7. Dontay Moch: Nevada (6-2, 229)
Possesses an explosive first step, good fluidity when asked to change directions and is the type of guy who you just let pin his ears back and go.

woodbuck27
02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Dontay Moch, DE/LB, Nevada 6'1" 230 lbs looks a tad hairy.

packrulz
02-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Green Bay Packers draft needs start at outside linebacker
BY PETE DOUGHERTY • PDOUGHER@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM • FEBRUARY 19, 2011

The Green Bay Packers are coming off a Super Bowl win with a talented young roster at most positions.

They don’t necessarily need an immediate starter in this year’s NFL draft, though they might end up with one if they take an outside linebacker with a high pick.

Instead, General Manager Ted Thompson will be drafting to restock his roster with new young players who will help replace the inevitable personnel losses, to free agency and age, to come in the next couple of years.

The Packers have all seven of their own picks in the 2011 draft, beginning with the last pick of the first round (No. 32 overall), plus a compensatory pick at the end of perhaps the third or fourth round for losing defensive end Aaron Kampman in free agency last year.

Following is a look at their greatest areas of need heading into the spring scouting season, which kicks off this week with the NFL scouting combine beginning Thursday in Indianapolis.

Outside Linebacker

After Thompson didn’t draft one last year – and that was a surprise – it’s all but a given this year he’ll select someone to possibly start opposite Clay Matthews in defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ 3-4 scheme.

Last year, after Brad Jones’ season ended because of shoulder injury in Week 7, undrafted rookie Frank Zombo and street free agent Erik Walden deserved credit for playing well enough to help win a Super Bowl. But this critical playmaking position demands more resources.

Jones flashed some pass-rush ability as a rookie in 2009 but has had durability issues his first two seasons and wasn’t as effective rushing when he played in 2010. Zombo and Walden proved competent – Walden is the more sudden rusher of the two – but it’s still a big step to being a playmaker.

Drafting a player high doesn’t guarantee he’ll be any good, but if the Packers could find a quality individual rusher like Pittsburgh has with former second-round pick LaMarr Woodley opposite James Harrison, the league’s No. 2-ranked scoring defense from last season could become something to behold.

Offensive Tackle

Left tackle Chad Clifton bounced back surprisingly well from early-season knee problems and was remarkably sound even as a season’s worth of snaps accrued during the Packers’ stretch run. But he’ll be 35 this summer.

Maybe he has another solid season in him, or maybe 2011 is the year he breaks down. Even if the Packers think he’ll be fine, their degree of confidence can be only so high, and his time is running out.

Thompson drafted Bryan Bulaga in the first round last year as the left tackle of the Packers’ future. Bulaga had to play right tackle the final 16 games, playoffs included, because of Mark Tauscher’s season-ending shoulder injury. Bulaga held up fine on the right side, but based on quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ comments late in the season, the Packers still see Bulaga as a left tackle.

Tauscher’s distinguished career with the Packers appears to be over, and there’s no knowing whether Clifton will be a starter or a $5.75 million insurance policy. If the Packers bump Bulaga back over to the left side, they could go with third-year pro T.J. Lang on the right side, though he’s also a possible starter at left guard. They also have Marshall Newhouse, a fifth-round pick last year, as a developmental prospect at left tackle.

No matter. Thompson might again spend a high pick at tackle, either left or right, to provide more options for those key pass-blocking positions for now, and for a year or two down the road.

Cornerback

The Packers have one of the best defensive backfields in the NFL and two good young cornerbacks in Tramon Williams and Sam Shields.

Williams blossomed into a premier cover man last season. Shields went as an undrafted rookie from the bottom of the depth chart to a quality No. 3 corner and showed the talent to become a starter, maybe even a good one, soon.

But cornerback Charles Woodson, one of the team’s best players, is 34 and has to slow down some time. The Packers need to prepare for that day, even if it’s a couple of years down the road, and have a quality player ready to replace him.

Plus, as the Super Bowl showed when Woodson and Shields went down with injuries, cornerback depth is crucial. Pat Lee and Jarrett Bush gamely got the Packers through the fourth quarter, but that doesn’t mean they’d hold up for a stretch of games.

Wide Receiver

This position of strength could erode fast.

Donald Driver is a physical marvel but turned 36 earlier this month. His days of starting-caliber production can’t last forever.

James Jones’ contract is up, and depending on a new collective bargaining agreement, he’ll be gone in free agency if a team offers him a starter’s salary, whether that’s this year or next.

That means the Packers could be looking to replace one or even two receivers of note in the next couple of seasons.

They have only one possibility on the roster in Brett Swain, a seventh-round draft pick from 2008 who will have to make significant strides to win that kind of role. They might not need replacements for a year or two, but drafting one now provides the luxury of time to train him.

Punt-Kick Returner

The Packers’ return game has been mostly a dud during Thompson’s six-year tenure as GM. Maybe a drafted wide receiver or cornerback could fill this hole, but if not, it might be time to consider using a valuable pick on someone strictly for the threat to change field position in the return game.

packrulz
02-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Rang's Big Board: Top 32 plus 10

By Rob Rang
Feb. 15, 2011
One of the most common questions I get this time of year is for clarification on my mock drafts. Readers want to know if I project who I believe their team should select or who I believe their team will select.

For mock draft projections, the latter is always the case. I have too much respect for the talent evaluators operating each of the NFL's 32 franchises to attempt advising them which players fit their team needs the best.

The Big Board, on the other hand, is strictly my ranking of the players available, regardless of position. If I was building a team from scratch with only the current draft class to choose from, this is the order in which I'd select them.

These rankings are based primarily on the games played during each prospect's career. However, these rankings will remain fluid until draft day as I review tape and take into consideration workouts, interviews and player health.

1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU: Shutdown corner with the ability to impact the game as a returner, he's the safest player in the draft.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson: Hard to believe he's more impressive against run than pass considering he led nation with 15.5 sacks.

3. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn: The most talented player in the draft, but I have concerns about his maturity and work ethic once he gets a multi-million dollar contract.

4. Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M: Answered only questions about his game by proving he's a legitimate 6'2 (and 5/8) and 237 pounds, as well as proving fluidity in coverage at Senior Bowl.

5. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina: A more explosive pass rusher than Bowers; is viewed by some as a better fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

6. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia: Has to prove speed to move into my top five, but has a combination of hands and body control that have helped Larry Fitzgerald and Sidney Rice dominate when protected with solid QB play.

7. Marcel Dareus, DT/DE, Alabama: Strong, stout and quick, Dareus can play inside and out in either scheme.

8. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska: Rare to see two corners with a top 10 grade, but Amukamara deserves it. Size, physicality to compete right away.

9. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama: Rare size, strength and physicality for position will make him an early standout. There is some Anquan Boldin-like toughness here.

10. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa: Stats say he struggled this season, but a closer look shows he did all of the little things well. I'd have no problem using a top-15 pick on him, especially for a team running a 4-3 alignment.

11. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama: Tough to assign a grade this high on any running back, but Ingram's rare combination of vision, balance, burst and low-center of gravity remind me of only one back -- Emmitt Smith.

12. Aldon Smith, DE/OLB Missouri: Was surprised to see him come out; as he would have ranked as an elite defensive prospect had he returned. Raw, but spectacular upside.

13. Cameron Jordan, DE, California: Showed everyone at Senior Bowl what I've been saying for months -- he's arguably the most versatile defensive lineman in a class blessed with them.

14. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri: Size, arm strength, good accuracy and a quick release, he has all of the tools -- but wasn't consistent enough to land a top ten grade in my eyes.

15. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado: Solder's weak base and moderate strength are concerns, but his rare size (6-8, 314), athleticism and flexibility make him an ideal left tackle prospect.

16. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida: Size, strength and the athleticism to block at the second level, Pouncey's ability to stand out against SEC competition make him an easy first round pick.

17. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College: Not as athletic as Solder, but another true left tackle who played with greater strength at the Senior Bowl than I'd previously given him credit for.

18. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn: As I've said since January, Newton is going to wind up in the top 10. His orchestrated workout didn't answer any of the questions I have about him. Namely, whether he can adapt mentally from Gus Malzahn's relatively simple spread-option offense to an infinitely more complicated pro-style attack against infinitely more complicated defenses.

19. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois: Penetrating three-technique defensive tackle who quietly rates behind only Fairley and Dareus on many teams' boards.

20. Tyron Smith, OT, USC: In terms of pure talent, Smith is this year's best tackle -- but his experience lies on the right side, his future lies on the left and scouts have questioned his maturity. I'll wait to outside the Top 20 for a gamble on greatness.

21. Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor: It is pretty hard to give a 26 year-old guard a first-round grade, but Watkins, with only four years of football, isn't beaten up and was very impressive at the Senior Bowl.

22. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado: Legitimate top-15 talent, but off-field concerns. The fact that he didn't compete at the Senior Bowl drop him down my board.

23. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin: A road grader with enough size, reach for pass protection, Carimi would be best off moving to right tackle.

24. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (Fla.): Struggled against big receivers, including Notre Dame's Michael Floyd in the Sun Bowl, but boasts even quicker feet for coverage than Peterson or Amukamara.

25. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA: Undeniably an elite athlete and one who may wind up drafted much higher than my ranking indicates, but Ayers' moderate instincts and tendency to over-run the play make him a gamble, in my opinion.

26. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State: I'm admittedly higher on Sherrod than most, but see him as an ideal swing tackle capable of stepping in immediately and is well worth first round pick.

27. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple: The best defensive lineman no one seems to be talking about -- yet.

28. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue: Lots to like about Kerrigan's hustle and production, though his thinner lower body and marginal hand play are concerns.

29. JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin: The ideal defensive end for the 3-4, but may not have a fit in the 4-3, limiting his grade.

30. Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor: A top 20 talent athletically, but will have to answer questions about his suspension and transfer from Penn State to get drafted there.

31. Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland: Currently leads Kentucky's Randall Cobb in a tight race to be the third-ranked receiver in this class due to greater height, straight-line speed.

32. Aaron Williams, CB, Texas: One of the few bright spots for the Longhorns this season, the 6-1, 205 pound Williams has the size, speed and cover skills to warrant a look in the late first round.

Next 10

TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois
WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky DE Cameron
Heyward, Ohio State (injury)
DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State (injury)
QB Jake Locker, Washington
C/OG Rodney Hudson, Florida State
QB Christian Ponder, Florida State
WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

I don't think TT has ever drafted a RB in the first round, but from what I've read, LeShoure could be considered first round caliber, Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb could be considered too. If he traded Flynn he could possibly draft Locker.

Bretsky
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
who is the best specialist in this draft ? Is there a knockout guy who is lights out on punts/kickoffs ? I have not been kepping track this year.

Last year I pimped Dexter McCluster pretty hard and I'd have been on board with Jacoby Ford.

Is there that lights out return guy and any projections on how high he will go ?

packrulz
02-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Torrey Smith or Randall Cobb are the top returners, they're projected to go late first or early second round, I hope TT drafts a returner somewhere, we don't want Williams getting hurt returning punts.

wootah
02-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I ruled out C, G, and TE simply because I suspect TT believes he can find good players at those positions after the 1st 2 rounds. That's not to say he won't draft an OT who ends up playing G, but I don't think he'll draft guys who played C or G in college in the 1st round.

I don't think he will draft a guy who played G in college

Don't be too sure. Steve Hutchinson was drafted while TT was in Seatle.