PDA

View Full Version : Football in Green Bay: 'It's phenomenal'

Terry
08-10-2006, 12:20 PM
(With thanks to JC at the wire for finding this.)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2006-08-09-family-night-feature_x.htm

Football in Green Bay: 'It's phenomenal'
Posted 8/9/2006 6:51 PM ET
By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk pulled into Lambeau Field's parking lot at 6:30 CT the morning of July 19, thinking he'd have the place to himself as he looked to get in a quick workout.

Hawk was stunned to see thousands of Packers backers tailgating and tossing footballs around hours before the team's annual shareholders meeting that morning.

That's when the fifth overall pick in the April draft realized just how special pro football is in Green Bay.

The Packers' Saturday night version of the movie Friday Night Lights only cemented Hawk's first impression. Second-year quarterback Aaron Rodgers compares the Packers' annual intrasquad scrimmage, called Family Night, to a cross between a big-time college spring football game and "a Jimmy Buffett concert." Much more than a glorified practice game, it's a cultural phenomenon unique to the NFL that attracted a record 62,701 green-and-gold faithful. All that's missing is the bonfire.

Though Hawk performed before big crowds at Ohio State, where 100,000-plus Buckeyes fans pack "The Horseshoe," Hawk and his younger teammates were awed by their Lambeau initiation.

"The tradition here is unbelievable," Hawk says. "That's what's great about Green Bay. It's a sellout for a scrimmage. That doesn't happen anywhere else in the NFL. We're so embraced by Packers fans. And they all stayed right to the end. It's phenomenal."

It's as if someone from the local chamber of commerce threw the switch on Lambeau mystique. The retro, brick shrine off Lombardi Avenue and Oneida Street came alive after six months of hibernation, the night sky lit up for miles.

Nostalgia and hope swirled in the midsummer air, thick as tailgate smoke. Families drove from all across Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana to grill their brats and cheer the return of their hero, Brett Favre. It doesn't matter that the Packers finished 4-12 last season, their first losing record during Favre's 14 years in Green Bay.

"I really believe that we're going to be better than people think we will be," Favre says, and the Pack's Saturday night lights might have illuminated some of his reasons for hope.

A night that begins with Favre throwing rockets to his receivers is capped by fireworks.

"It's a special place, and I'm honored to be coaching here," first-year coach Mike McCarthy says after an Aug. 3 night practice. "The Green Bay Packers' history is second to none.

"I remember, when I was quarterbacks coach here in 1999, I came jogging out of the locker room and I walked out of the tunnel with Brett Favre and I said, 'Can you believe this? There's 70,000 people, and we're doing pat-and-go drills and the fans are doing 'The Wave.' I was just blown away.

"It was my first Lambeau experience, and I'll never forget that as long as I live. With that in mind, when we do the introductions, I'll have my assistant coaches along with the players at their positions run out of the tunnel together. It's something they'll always remember.

"There's nothing like this scrimmage in sports."

In other cities, there might be other professional sports teams to watch play more meaningful games, the Yankees or Mets for instance in New York, where fans sometimes sell or give away their tickets rather than watch a preseason look-in on the Giants or Jets. Not in Green Bay, where fans are literally invested in their team.

"Any team that has 30,000 Packers shareholders, you know you're going to have a lot of people here seeing how you're progressing," says John Dorsey, the Packers director of college scouting. "From my perspective, it gives us a chance to see these young guys in a game-time situation, Saturday night lights.

"The uniqueness of this event is you have 62,000 people providing a live-game atmosphere, the energy level picks up and you see how guys respond to that.

"From a fans' perspective, it's (Packers chairman) Mr. (Bob) Harlan's way of showing respect to the fans with $8 tickets with parking lot proceeds all donated to (local and state) charities."

It is a rare chance for some fans to see the Packers firsthand, considering the long waiting list for season tickets.

Consider the remarkable case of Nancy and Chuck Cook, a couple in their late 60s who just learned that, after 47 years, their 1959 request for Packers season tickets was recently granted. Waiting 47 years for Social Security benefits is one thing. But for Packers tickets? It's the reward of a lifetime.

"We started going to Packers games in our 20s when Fuzzy Thurston, Bart Starr and Carroll Dale were here," Cook says.

Chuck's son, Steve, says Steve's son, Logan, 13, has bypassed the middleman and asked his grandparents that, when they pass away, they need to bequeath the tickets to Logan and brother Connar, 10, skipping a generation so they don't have to wait so long.

Farther down the parking lot, V.J. Scully and his wife, Leeanne, daughter Kylee, 15, and sons Jaden, 6, and Tyler, 4, are throwing a football before grilling burgers.

Tyler wears a forest-green jersey bearing a number that seems to be everywhere. So who's your favorite player, Tyler?

"Favre!" he says decisively.

Tyler's dad thought it would be cool for the kids to get a glimpse of the future Hall of Famer. "My husband was intent on making sure our kids saw Brett Favre play here before he retires," Leeanne says.

Scully has already put his kids on the Packers' season-ticket list.

What's the fuss over there?

There's a flock of folks huddled around a saintly looking fellow dressed in a green high-priest's miter that bears the beaming likeness of Vince Lombardi. Dressed in a flowing green robe with gold trim, he holds a staff crowned by a Packers cheesehead.

Who is this guy with a replica of the Lombardi Trophy as his ring?

It's "Saint Vince," aka John O'Neill, a 54-year-old, bearded, retired state worker who started dressing this way in 1997 in New Orleans before the Packers beat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI.

O'Neill was inducted into the Pro Football Fan Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, in 2000.

"I was trying to represent the spirit of Vince Lombardi coming back with his Packers for another Super Bowl, and it's grown in popularity ever since," O'Neill says.

Saint Vince poses for pictures with Darren and April Guindon, holding 3½-month-old son Vincent and 5-year-old Brett.

"Say 'Cheeseheads,' " O'Neill says before the picture is snapped.

The Guindons will send this to family and friends as the family Christmas card, as they did last year with a shot of Brett posing with Saint Vince.

Inside the spacious Lambeau atrium, Todd Harris, 32, watches as his three young boys whack each other with inflatable thunder sticks, which are free to everyone. The kids have painted faces, and they're having a ball. Unfortunately, their sister Brianne doesn't care much for getting bopped by their thunder sticks.

Things sure are different here. There is that same communal obsession with winning. It's just that people seem more good-natured about it, more forgiving, less demanding about it.

"You hear stories about how some NFL teams' fans don't really embrace their players all that much," Hawk says. "College football fans are more forgiving than NFL fans. Green Bay fans seem to have a short memory, too."

"As bad as we were last year, the fans still treat us with respect," center Scott Wells says. "They treat Family Night like a regular game. People come out to have a really good time and to party.

"It's their first chance to see what this team is going to be like."

Says receiver Donald Driver: "I remember that first time I walked out of the tunnel for this game in 1999. Coming from Alcorn State, a small school in Mississippi, I never expected 70,000 people for a scrimmage. It's exciting for our young guys.

"The fans want to see if the old faces still have it and if the new guys have it, too."

Driver showed he still has it, elevating above double coverage to pull down Favre's 42-yard rocket. The highlight play of the scrimmage set up Favre's quick slant-in touchdown pass to Driver a few plays later.

Green Bay is dotted by leafy neighborhoods and 1960s ranch-style homes, where the past is ever-present. Yesteryear mixes with the hopeful sense that "This can be our year."

Favre expressed just that sentiment July 31 in his first and only news conference of training camp.

"I really feel like this, as far as talent is concerned, is the most talented team that I've been a part of as a whole, but the most unproven, inexperienced team that I've ever played on," Favre said. "So if we can somehow put it together, there's a lot of talent out there."

A 4-12 season and a career-worst 29 interceptions is not how Favre wants to go out. The Packers were eighth in total defense last season, but they were 18th in total offense and lost eight games by seven points or less.

Before he decided to return for a 16th season, Favre spoke with former quarterback Don Majkowski, the Packers starter he replaced 241 consecutive starts ago, including the playoffs. "Brett Favre loves being Brett Favre," Majkowski says. "I'm friends with Brett, and I know how much he loves playing football and what it's meant to him to have success with the Green Bay Packers.

"But the thing he's most proud of more than winning a Super Bowl or his three league MVPs is his consecutive-starts streak, knowing his teammates and coaches can count on him week in and week out.

"To play at such a high level for so long, I know deep down he believes he's capable of still playing at that high level. He took the blunt of the blame last year. With the disastrous number of injuries that hit them, it wouldn't matter who would have quarterbacked, playing behind a non-existent line with almost no running game."

Inspiring Favre's optimism are such young talents as Hawk and second-round draft selection Greg Jennings, a polished and fearless route runner out of Western Michigan reminiscent of Baltimore Ravens veteran Derrick Mason.

McCarthy is implementing the user-friendly zone-blocking scheme he learned from Atlanta Falcons guru Alex Gibbs. He hopes it will keep Favre from having to do too much, help young guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz better use their athleticism and help running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport in their returns from injuries.

Colledge is a 6-4, 299-pound second-round pick who played left tackle at Boise State, and Spitz is a 6-4, 313-pound third-round pick from Louisville. McCarthy says both were drafted because of their athleticism, an asset that will help them more easily transition to the zone-blocking scheme favored by the Denver Broncos and Falcons.

Charles Woodson was signed during the offseason to solidify a secondary that includes Al Harris and safeties Marquand Manuel and Nick Collins. Defensive end Aaron Kampman is underrated.

Favre threw accurately without an interception in the scrimmage, a sign he's finding his rhythm after a five-interception outing in his first training camp practice.

McCarthy wants Favre to play within the system with more caution and less reckless abandon. If that happens, the passing game will be more about 4- and 5-yard completions supplemented by a run game to set up downfield shots.

"I'm coaching Brett just like I've coached every quarterback I've ever been around," says McCarthy, who was with the Kansas City Chiefs with Joe Montana and Rich Gannon. "Just make smart decisions, don't push the envelope too much, which is Brett's personality. Let the game come to you."

As it did to more than 62,000 green-and-gold clad fans who came out to see why Favre has been talking up this team.

"It's really the kickoff to a new beginning," Dorsey says. "What better place to play a scrimmage than Lambeau?"

It's a bigger deal to fans, players and coaches than anyone in any other NFL city can imagine. Even bigger than the Wisconsin State Fair, right, John?

"It's bigger than Brat Fest in Sheboygan this weekend," Dorsey laughs.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
That's a BIG part of why we are Packer fans. :mrgreen:

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !!!!! spells PRIDE.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-10-2006, 12:51 PM
That's a BIG part of why we are Packer fans. :mrgreen:

THE GREEN BAY PACKERS !!!!! spells PRIDE.

THAT WHY I LOVE THE PACKERS SO MUCH, THERES NO WERE ESLE LIKE IT!!

GO PACK GO :mrgreen:

MadtownPacker
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Great article! I gotta find a way to get over there this season. Reading about all this stuff makes it sound like football heaven.

Partial
08-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Great article! I gotta find a way to get over there this season. Reading about all this stuff makes it sound like football heaven.

Can't compare it to lambeau, but the experience of being at Camp Randall is definitely jaw dropping and incredible. The Michigan game this past year was the most exciting thing I have ever seen. I could not speak for a few days following that I was shouting so loud!!

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting!

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Can't compare it to lambeau, but the experience of being at Camp Randall is definitely jaw dropping and incredible. The Michigan game this past year was the most exciting thing I have ever seen. I could not speak for a few days following that I was shouting so loud!!

Yeah, Camp Randall is freakin' awesome. I went to the game against Iowa where Ron Dayne broke the rushing record and it was nuts. The streaker that ran on afterwards was "nuts", too. :mrgreen:

Another story is I live in Naples, FL and a lot of people come down here for vacation. Barry Alvarez has a really expensive apartment in Pelican Bay(really rich area) and my grandparents live there I get to use the private beaches. Well, I was on the beach and who do I see but Barry Alvarez, himself. This was after he had retired from the HC position and I went up to him and thanked him for everything he had done for Wisconsin football. He was really nice and even signed the football I was throwing around with my brother. He's just a really great guy.

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
I remember being in Lambeau the first time. It was when we won the central for the first time in my lifetime when we beat the broncos 42-10(i think that was the score). When I walked out and say the stadium it was awesome!

Great fans there too. I went two years ago to the late viking game with two viking fans and another packer fan. My wife and buddy are HUGE queen fans but still ahd a blast because everyone was awesome to them. I do not get that same treatment at the big inflatable.

Astonishment
08-10-2006, 02:02 PM
It's always nice to see a great artical like that in a national newspaper.

oregonpackfan
08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
This is a great article! I copied it and sent it to my friends here in Oregon. Many of them sort of shake their heads at my loyalty to the Packers. Some have even implied, "Hey, you now live 2,000 miles away from your home state of Wisconsin. Why not support a West Coast NFL team?"

They simply cannot comprehend the loyalty of a Wisconsin born Packer fan.

I watch a number of Packer games at a family restaurant/sports bar in Portland. It is filled on Sundays with ex-Wisconsite Packer fans. Not one of them would think of switching to a West Coast NFL team.

OPF

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Wow Tony, your wife's a queens fan. That must lead to some awkward moments. What happened when the Queens lost to the Cards in the last seconds?

justanotherpackfan
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I know this is off topic but I was there on the first day of training camp and I got 35 autographs.

gbgary
08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
see my post on this page...

http://www.packerchatters.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100&start=15

i LOVE going to Green Bay!!

Packnut
08-10-2006, 02:30 PM
The first game I went to at Lambeau, I sat there in awe. There is no other mystique like it in all of sports.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I remember being in Lambeau the first time. It was when we won the central for the first time in my lifetime when we beat the broncos 42-10(i think that was the score). When I walked out and say the stadium it was awesome!

It is awesome, but I'm sorry to burst your bubble. That was in 1996. We won the Central the year before on Yancey Thigpen's drop--the same game Brett Favre got leveled by Kevin Greene, spit up blood, the Pack called a timeout, and Brett threw a TD pass on the next play.

We destroyed Denver in 1996 (they rested John Elway and a lot of starters). Favre had a sweet play in that game. He stiff-armed a DL (I think it was Michael Dean Perry), then threw a TD pass to Antonio Freeman.

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
THAT WAS AWESOME!!! I was at the in-laws house, all big viking fans, and one of her cousins is a packer fan and we were the only packer fans there. SO when he caught the ball in the endzone casey and I erupt in cheers, got DIRTY looks from everyone so we went outside had a smoke and a beer :)

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 02:53 PM

It is awesome, but I'm sorry to burst your bubble. That was in 1996. We won the Central the year before on Yancey Thigpen's drop--the same game Brett Favre got leveled by Kevin Greene, spit up blood, the Pack called a timeout, and Brett threw a TD pass on the next play.

We destroyed Denver in 1996 (they rested John Elway and a lot of starters). Favre had a sweet play in that game. He stiff-armed a DL (I think it was Michael Dean Perry), then threw a TD pass to Antonio Freeman.

AH damn :)

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
THAT WAS AWESOME!!! I was at the in-laws house, all big viking fans, and one of her cousins is a packer fan and we were the only packer fans there. SO when he caught the ball in the endzone casey and I erupt in cheers, got DIRTY looks from everyone so we went outside had a smoke and a beer :)

No broken beer bottles?

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Nope it was real funny though they all sat there in disbelief. The best was Paul Allen the voice of the purple just announcing the call, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Touchdown Cardinals, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" hehehe was awesome!

red
08-10-2006, 03:13 PM
The first game I went to at Lambeau, I sat there in awe. There is no other mystique like it in all of sports.

i still get that feeling everytime i enter the bowl, just coming out of one of the tunnels and seeing it all there just raises the hair on the back of your neck.

great article

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Strangest moment for me watching a game with Viking fans:

Normally, the Viking fans that I watch games with are loud, drunk, and extremely obnoxious (and most are my family members, and they've been giving me hell since I was a kid in the late 70s). However, I went to a party hosted by a friend of mine. He's laidback. He's a Vikings fan, but doesn't take it too seriously. This party happened during the 1998 NFC Championship Game. Minnesota vs. Atlanta. Everybody there was just super duper nice, not cocky, etc. I almost felt bad for the Vikes. Well, not the Vikes because inside I was happy, but I didn't show my happiness because everybody there was just plain nice. They were sad, and I know how they felt because I went through it the year before when we lost the Super Bowl.

With most of the Viking fans I know, I wouldn't have shown my happiness, but I wouldn't have felt one ounce of sorrow for them. Hell, most of my friends didn't even talk to me for several months after the Packers won the Super Bowl, and then they didn't talk about football. They didn't even say congratulations.

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I was running up and down the halls of my dorm when Anderson missed that kick :)

Green Bud Packer
08-10-2006, 04:17 PM
i make a yearly pilgrimage to lambeau and i suggest all pcker fans make this pilgrimage at least once in thier lives. it's good for the soul.

oregonpackfan
08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
i make a yearly pilgrimage to lambeau and i suggest all pcker fans make this pilgrimage at least once in thier lives. it's good for the soul.

Agreed!

OPF

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 10:21 PM

If swamped the word "lambeau" with "Mecca" and the word "packer fans" with "Islams" that sentence would still read perfectly.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I'll be dreaming about this tonight. You Packer fans put me there.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

GrnBay007
08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Visiting Lambeau for the first time..........WOW! What an experience that is for a Packer fan. My first time was only two years ago. Walking through the entry and seeing the field and all the fans for the first time is breathtaking, Funny, 3 trips later and I still feel the same way going there!! I doubt that feeling will ever change.....the whole Green Bay experience is awesome!

superfan
08-11-2006, 01:07 AM
My first Packer game at Lambeau was a memorable experience. Chills during the opening player introductions, tears of joy and frustration during the game. Mostly I remember trying to consciously soak up every second of the experience.

I had previousy been to about a dozen Badger games before, and Camp Randall is phenomenal in its own right. It's simply a different atmosphere -- I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other. Both are a blast.

I'm 3-0 at Lambeau and hope to make it 4-0 vs Arizona this year. That first game managed #48 on Christl's top 50 moments in Lambeau history list published in 2003 (on jsonline.com).

"48. A 63-yard touchdown run by Ahman Green late in the third quarter and a 55-yard punt return for a touchdown by Allen Rossum with 3:03 left allow the Packers to overcome a 10-point deficit and slip past the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 21-20. (Nov. 4, 2001)."

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Welcome superfan!

I was at that game also.
:D

Terry
08-11-2006, 08:05 AM

If swamped the word "lambeau" with "Mecca" and the word "packer fans" with "Islams" that sentence would still read perfectly.

Yeah, but you'd have to add another sentence about blowing up people en route.

vince
08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Following are just a few of the reasons why Lambeau Field is the most revered football mecca in the world.

BTW, I took these at the scrimmage last week. I thought I'd share all the pics I took. My apologies for the poor photographic skills...

Click here: Lambeau Scrimmage Pics (http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/Vince.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/Curly.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/Legends.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/Trophies.jpg

BallHawk
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Harvey, do you live in Green Bay?

Partial
08-11-2006, 11:07 AM

I believe he's in the twin cities

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM

I believe he's in the twin cities

Correct.

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Visiting Lambeau for the first time..........WOW! What an experience that is for a Packer fan. My first time was only two years ago. Walking through the entry and seeing the field and all the fans for the first time is breathtaking, Funny, 3 trips later and I still feel the same way going there!! I doubt that feeling will ever change.....the whole Green Bay experience is awesome!

Congrat's GrnBay007. Your a fortunate Packer fan. :mrgreen: