PDA

View Full Version : Jason Wilde's Article

Smidgeon
02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5600&section_id=40

A pretty good article. At least, I enjoyed it.

I apologize if it was posted elsewhere.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Good article. The quote from Jenkins sure makes it sound like he'll be gone though

“Going into the year, we had approached (the Packers), because you want a little security. I wanted to stay here, and it would’ve been nice to have something done so you’re not having to think about it the whole year, but obviously that wasn’t what they were thinking at the time and it hasn’t felt that way up to this point,” Jenkins said. “Something could still get done, I would like to be here, but the way things have went, I wouldn’t be surprised (if this was it).

denverYooper
02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I hope they get something done with Jenkins too, but when you hear from him about it you don't know how much ching he's been looking for. I'm assuming it's more than the Packers want to give him.

Kuhn will be back. I really hope BJax is back too, he makes a few plays each game that keep drives going.

Fritz
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
It sure sounds like Jenkins is going, going, gone.

I can see reasons for both re-signing and not re-signing him.

Guiness
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
The major reason for him being gone is likely that someone will throw $10million or something at him.

Smidgeon
02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I think Jenkins will be like Clifton: they'll let him test the market (if they don't transition/franchise him/whatever), then come back with either a competetive offer or let him walk.

Patler
02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
When you consider age, injury history and the $ his agent likely expects to be offered from someone else, re-signing Jenkins does seem like a long-shot. If the Packers believe as much in Neal as some on here do, and if they expect to get Jolly back, they probably don't value Jenkins as highly as his agent expects other teams will. Green has one more year on his contract, I think; and Wilson gained valuable experience and probably performed beyond expectations, too. All of these lessen Jenkins value to the Packers.

RashanGary
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Jenkins is a good player. I'd like him back, but we are getting to the point where we can't keep everyone. Neal and Jolly make him expendable and that's before the draft. Gonna be tough to keep him. The time to do that was before the season. SB winning players always go for more dough than they're worth.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
When you consider age, injury history and the $ his agent likely expects to be offered from someone else, re-signing Jenkins does seem like a long-shot. If the Packers believe as much in Neal as some on here do, and if they expect to get Jolly back, they probably don't value Jenkins as highly as his agent expects other teams will. Green has one more year on his contract, I think; and Wilson gained valuable experience and probably performed beyond expectations, too. All of these lessen Jenkins value to the Packers.

There's also the issue that there appear to be a gaggle of quality 5-technique prospects in the draft, the top tier of which (Wisconsin's J.J. Watt, Cal's Cameron Jordan, Ohio State's Cameron Heyward) expects not to be empty by the time the Packers make the first pick of the second round. I know that Thompson doesn't like to draft for immediate needs, but it's entirely possible to find a high caliber rookie 5-tech if need be, since the second tier doesn't look so bad either (Iowa's Christian Ballard, Temple's Muhammad Wilkerson, Illinois's Corey Liuget. Arizona State's Lawrence Guy, etc.)

Guiness
02-09-2011, 01:18 PM

Green has another year on his contract? I don't remember how we got him, I assume off waivers, and we assumed the contract he signed with the Jets?

vince
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Awesome article. Thanks for posting it Smidge.

Mike Neal is the new Cullen Jenkins.

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Jenkins is a good player. I'd like him back, but we are getting to the point where we can't keep everyone. Neal and Jolly make him expendable and that's before the draft. Gonna be tough to keep him. The time to do that was before the season. SB winning players always go for more dough than they're worth.

+1

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
aweome article; Jenkins is as good as gone IMO. They get Neal back, bring Jolly back, keep Green, Picket and Raji. They can't afford to keep Jenkins when he's going to get 7-9 MIL per year.

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
aweome article; Jenkins is as good as gone IMO. They get Neal back, bring Jolly back, keep Green, Picket and Raji. They can't afford to keep Jenkins when he's going to get 7-9 MIL per year.

No opinions on the fates of Wilson and Wynn?

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
IMO Wilson will be back. He has some upside and looked solid when he played
Not much faith in Wynn; my gut tells me TT will find somebody better

vince
02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't think there'll be room for Wynn, even if Jenkins is gone too. Green is getting old but he fits a nice role.

LP
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Gee, everyone seems to have forgotten Justin Harrell.

Bretsky
02-09-2011, 07:48 PM

We sure are trying

I'm in the category of not wanting to remember him

Lurker64
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Now that he has a superbowl ring, he can go ahead and retire.