PDA

View Full Version : Charles Woodson - HOF?

RashanGary
02-10-2011, 07:06 AM
What do you think? I think he's a rare, one of a kind player and deserves it. What say you?

RashanGary
02-10-2011, 07:08 AM
For a lot of his career he was the shut down type where nobody threw his way. His INT numbers might not measure up, but I think he's a special player that deserves to be there.

RashanGary
02-10-2011, 07:20 AM
He's 50th all time on the INT list right now with 47. IF he gets 11 more he'll be in the top 10. With the SB victory, the DPOY and all of the hype throughout his career, he stands a chance to sneak into the HOF. He probably needs to stay healthy and add to his interception total from the safety position to have a shot.

Joemailman
02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
The fact that he's played so well late in his career, and for a high profile team, could give him a shot. That's important because it's easy for people to forget how great he was early in his career before he started to suffer some injuries. By the way, anyone who thinks Woodson plays close to the line of scrimmage because he can't cover anymore should watch a replay of the play on which he got hurt in the Super Bowl. He ran stride for stride with Mike Wallace for a long time.

Smeefers
02-10-2011, 07:29 AM
He's not a first ballot automatic guy, but he has a shot.

Patler
02-10-2011, 07:37 AM
I become less and less impressed with the HOF with each passing year, it seems. DBs have to have a lot of interceptions, yet a really good DB does not get thrown at, so will have a difficult time meeting the "entrance requirement". Sharper's interception total will probably get him serious consideration, if not ultimate admission; yet his play in GB was good, but not anything close to what I think a HOF safety should be. If Sharper makes it, but Leroy Butler does not, it will be a travesty. Butler impacted close games routinely, Sharper seldom.

Some players are admitted in spite of relatively brief careers. Sterling Sharpe's career was sort of brief, but he was the dominant receiver of those seven years, far and away better than Michael Irvin. I don't think Sharpe has gotten serious consideration, yet just recently Ron Wolf (I think) said Sharp the best receiver he had seen.

I think Woodson probably deserves it, but whether or not he will make it is anyone's guess at this point.

vince
02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
2 more pick 6's and he'll be the all-time leader in that category. I'm not sure he's in yet, but I think he will be by the time he's done.

Lurker64
02-10-2011, 09:15 AM
He deserves consideration. I mean, how many people have a Heisman Trophy, a National Championship, the DPotY or OPotY award, and a Super Bowl ring?

Freak Out
02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Not before Kramer. :)

who votes for the hall now? is it still a bunch of Cleft Crustys?

HarveyWallbangers
02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I become less and less impressed with the HOF with each passing year, it seems. DBs have to have a lot of interceptions, yet a really good DB does not get thrown at, so will have a difficult time meeting the "entrance requirement". Sharper's interception total will probably get him serious consideration, if not ultimate admission; yet his play in GB was good, but not anything close to what I think a HOF safety should be. If Sharper makes it, but Leroy Butler does not, it will be a travesty. Butler impacted close games routinely, Sharper seldom.

Some players are admitted in spite of relatively brief careers. Sterling Sharpe's career was sort of brief, but he was the dominant receiver of those seven years, far and away better than Michael Irvin. I don't think Sharpe has gotten serious consideration, yet just recently Ron Wolf (I think) said Sharp the best receiver he had seen.

I think Woodson probably deserves it, but whether or not he will make it is anyone's guess at this point.

Agreed. And I think Woodson will make it. DPOY and Super Bowl ring will be hard to ignore.

Tony Oday
02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Agreed. And I think Woodson will make it. DPOY and Super Bowl ring will be hard to ignore.

Just imagine three trophies and a DPOY

gbgary
02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
i sure think he's got a shot...especially if his upcoming years at safety go well.

Smidgeon
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
PFT had a good link to the HOF discussion. I forget who wrote it, but it was incredibly insightful. And it wonderfully ripped the Dent over Roaf decision for this year's class.

denverYooper
02-10-2011, 01:28 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smidgeon
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!

...he imagined it.

mission
02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
He's a much better candidate than Sharper IMO... the dude is everything the HOF should be about. Game changing player.

denverYooper
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
He's a much better candidate than Sharper IMO... the dude is everything the HOF should be about. Game changing player.

On and off of the field. The guy's been one hell of a leader these last couple of seasons. I think that went a long way towards the Lombardi this year. His speech after the NFC championship was a classic.

rbaloha1
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
He deserves consideration. I mean, how many people have a Heisman Trophy, a National Championship, the DPotY or OPotY award, and a Super Bowl ring?

One other -- Tony Dorsett

rbaloha1
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
First Ballot.

Agree about Leroy Butler. Isn't LB the all time secondary sack leader?

Revolutionized the position -- Polomalu before Polomalu

Scott Campbell
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
The fact that he's played so well late in his career, and for a high profile team, could give him a shot. That's important because it's easy for people to forget how great he was early in his career before he started to suffer some injuries. By the way, anyone who thinks Woodson plays close to the line of scrimmage because he can't cover anymore should watch a replay of the play on which he got hurt in the Super Bowl. He ran stride for stride with Mike Wallace for a long time.

I think that turf toe was really bothering him early in the year.

prime311
02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Hes also a member of the 2000's all decade team. I think a CB on any all decade team should pretty much be a lock.

prime311
02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
First Ballot.

Agree about Leroy Butler. Isn't LB the all time secondary sack leader?

Revolutionized the position -- Polomalu before Polomalu

Leroy coulda played 1 year and I'd still vote him in for the lambeau leap(its not just for the offense!)

LEWCWA
02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I happen to think when it is all said and done, he will be a shoe in.

Cheesehead Craig
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
The voters also look at the complete package of the player and not just on stats. Woodson has been an elite CB when it comes to rush defense. He's physical and doesn't miss a tackle very often. Very good at the blitz. Those are things that the HOF voters love. His versatility. I think the SB win got him as a lock for the Hall.

Pugger
02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Winning the DPOY and a SB ring should be enough. :-)

MadtownPacker
02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I happen to think when it is all said and done, he will be a shoe in.
Thats the way I see it too. He has done too much of everything to not be. He made it to the SB with two team. He is popular with fans and players. He has a great reputation. He has the stats. He was all world in all leagues he has played in.

If Woodson doesn't get in fuck the Hall of Fame.

RashanGary
02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I can't believe Kevin Greene is not in. I can't say I have the most vivid memories of when he played, but I do remember he was a terror. His sack numbers are sick. He should be in. If Kevin Greene is not in, Charles Woodson might not be.

swede
02-10-2011, 10:16 PM
I can't believe Kevin Greene is not in. I can't say I have the most vivid memories of when he played, but I do remember he was a terror. His sack numbers are sick. He should be in. If Kevin Greene is not in, Charles Woodson might not be.

Kevin Greene >>>>>>>>>>John the mouth Randle

Patler
02-11-2011, 06:18 AM
The voters also look at the complete package of the player and not just on stats. Woodson has been an elite CB when it comes to rush defense. He's physical and doesn't miss a tackle very often. Very good at the blitz. Those are things that the HOF voters love. His versatility. I think the SB win got him as a lock for the Hall.

Then why isn't Leroy Butler in? 5 time All Pro. NFL All-Decade team for the '90s. Great tackler. Fantastic blitzer. First DB ever to have 20 interceptions and 20 sacks. Super Bowl win. Student of the game. NFL/Packer promoter. Fan favorite. Innovator of the Lambeau Leap.

vince
02-11-2011, 06:51 AM
There seems to be a built-in bias against certain positions in the hall. Safeties, Guards, TE's and Kickers have a much harder time getting in, even the great ones, because they are perceived as having a lower skill level than CBs, Tackles and WRs.

swede
02-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Then why isn't Leroy Butler in? 5 time All Pro. NFL All-Decade team for the '90s. Great tackler. Fantastic blitzer. First DB ever to have 20 interceptions and 20 sacks. Super Bowl win. Student of the game. NFL/Packer promoter. Fan favorite. Innovator of the Lambeau Leap.

Leroy Butler is >>>>>>>>>>John the mouth Randle

Smeefers
02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Something else you have to look at is the number of Packers and Raiders to get into the HOF. It's the same argument people have with Urlacher. No one knows if he's going to get into the HOF. No rings but a great career. If you compare him to say Ray Lewis, they're pretty much identical, but Ray has a ring. The other thing Ray has? He's on a team with no one in the HOF. Ray Lewis would be the first Baltimore Raven in the HOF and that's the little extra edge that makes him a first ballot contender. Urlacher? Just as good, but there's already a slew of Bears in the HOF. He'll probably eventually get in, but if Kevin Greene or Derrick Thomas isn't in, how could you put in Urlacher before them? Same thing with Woodson. There's already a ton of great Packer and Raider players in the HOF. He's got the hardware, but they're going to ask themselves if someone else deserves it more than he does. He'll get in, but not his first time around.

gbgary
02-11-2011, 09:04 AM
i don't think the number of players previously inducted should/would have anything to do with it. players shouldn't be penalized by a teams past successes.

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Would Kevin Greene be the first Panther in?

Smidgeon
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
The whole system is just broken...

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
One thing Woodson has is name recognition in spades over Butler. That's also a factor whether we like it or not (same way players get into the Pro-Bowl). Announcers simply didn't ooze over how Butler played safety and how he impacted the opposing offenses. Woodson gets that love.

Plus, I'll also add in that Safties have a harder time getting in like vince said. Plus Butler never got a DPOTY award either.

Don't get me wrong, I love Butler.

mission
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Plus Butler never got a DPOTY award either.

I've always heard it said that HOF selection has a lot to do with whether a player was the best at his position for the particular era. A lot can always be debated during this process, but when you have a DOPY award, there's really no way anyone could dispute it. It could even be said that, at one point in the player's career, he was not only the best at his position, but better than players at 3-5 other positions in addition to his own.

Woodson has to make it IMO. I'll do whatever I can to go grass roots for his campaign (if needed)! :)

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 01:31 PM
One thing Woodson has is name recognition in spades over Butler. That's also a factor whether we like it or not (same way players get into the Pro-Bowl). Announcers simply didn't ooze over how Butler played safety and how he impacted the opposing offenses. Woodson gets that love.

Plus, I'll also add in that Safties have a harder time getting in like vince said. Plus Butler never got a DPOTY award either.

Butler didn't get DPOY, but announcers did gush about him. Every game they'd bring that stat about him being the first player to get 20 picks and 20 sacks. Not to mention that he's widely known for having created the Lambeau Leap. He has plenty of name recognition, but it's hard for a safety to make the Hall of Fame.

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Butler didn't get DPOY, but announcers did gush about him. Every game they'd bring that stat about him being the first player to get 20 picks and 20 sacks. Not to mention that he's widely known for having created the Lambeau Leap. He has plenty of name recognition, but it's hard for a safety to make the Hall of Fame.
Announcers during games will gush about whoever is on the field (See John Gruden), that's part of their job to sell the game. I'm talking about announcers in the ESPN studios. That's a big difference and the name recognition I'm talking about. Woodson gets the superlatives mentioned with his name and Butler gets the "oh by the way" factiod. Go ahead and ask 10 non-GB fans about Butler and at least 9 if not 10 won't know jack about him.

Inventing the Lambeau Leap is wonderful for the GB fans, but what the hell does that have to do with his play on the field?

Butler is a far, far bigger name with GB fans than the rest of the NFL. Again, not hating on the guy at all. He was a fantastic player.

hoosier
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM

In addition to Dorsett, Hornung had three (MVP, no OPOTY before 1970s) and Marcus Allen had all four (MVP and OPOTY).

Bretsky
02-12-2011, 01:35 AM
absolutely