PDA

View Full Version : HUGE benefit for Packers re: lockout

Patler
02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Especially for the lowest paid players, like Shields, Zombo, McDonald and other young players who didn't receive signing bonuses of significance and are at or near NFL minimum wage. As a result of being Super Bowl winners, they received a combined playoff pay of $161,000.

These are guys who haven't had the time and income to stash away a huge nest egg to get through a lockout, but in the past month they have earned enough to get through it for however long it is likely to last, since these are players who have not developed lavish lifestyles yet. For those guys, this has to provide great peace-of-mind going into a very uncertain off-season.

Great year to have made the playoffs for a little extra cash, and a fantastic year to have won the Super Bowl for a lot of extra cash for the young lower paid players.

I read today that players who go to off season trainers and pro athlete training facilities spend from $5,000 to $15,000 per month to do so. Even the lowest paid Packers will be much more able to do that now.

swede
02-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Does Al Harris deserve $161,000?

Discuss.

hoosier
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Does Al Harris deserve $161,000?

Discuss.

I think an argument could be made that Al indirectly deserves some credit for the emergence of Sam Shields. If it had been known back in training camp that Al wasn't going to be able to perform I wonder if the Packers might have made more effort to find an experienced nickle back given that the leading candidates at the time (Underwood, Lee, Bush) were all suspect, and Sam Shields was supposed to be at least a year away from contributing. The lure of Al making a successful comeback bought just enough time for Shields to show the Packers that he was ready to play. So yeah, pay the man a "finder's fee."

Smidgeon
02-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I think an argument could be made that Al indirectly deserves some credit for the emergence of Sam Shields. If it had been known back in training camp that Al wasn't going to be able to perform I wonder if the Packers might have made more effort to find an experienced nickle back given that the leading candidates at the time (Underwood, Lee, Bush) were all suspect, and Sam Shields was supposed to be at least a year away from contributing. The lure of Al making a successful comeback bought just enough time for Shields to show the Packers that he was ready to play. So yeah, pay the man a "finder's fee."

Really??

swede
02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Really??

It's a discussion

Smidgeon
02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
It's a discussion

Withdrawn.