PDA

View Full Version : TT: New Long-term Contract

mission
02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Trusting twitter proved wrong on Clay winning DPOY but I think this one is a bit more reliable...

@TomSilverstein (http://twitter.com/TomSilverstein): Packers are expected to announce a contract extension for GM Ted Thompson soon

Murphy says Thompson deal was done in December, McCarthy extension nearing completion also.

Length of Thompson and McCarthy's contracts will mirror each other when McCarthy's is done

Murphy wouldn't say how long Thompson's extension is, but it is "long-term." I suspect that means around five years, but no confirmation.

JSO:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/115983724.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

mission
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-General-Manager-Ted-Thompson-Signed-To-New-Contract/2bb2e09f-2394-4c00-8430-ccf971ffdd2c

The Green Bay Packers have signed Ted Thompson, the team’s Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, to a new, multi-year contract, team President/CEO Mark Murphy announced Friday.

Thompson, who recently concluded his sixth season as the leader of the team’s football operations, has built the Packers into one of the NFL’s strongest young teams. That was highlighted by a Super Bowl XLV win over the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelers.com/) last Sunday as Green Bay became only the second No. 6 seed since 1990 to win the world championship.

“We are thrilled to have Ted lead our football operations for the foreseeable future,” said Murphy. “He has done an outstanding job of building this team. We worked on this and reached an agreement in December, and we are pleased to be able to make the announcement today.”

“This is a great organization and I am very humbled and appreciative,” said Thompson. “Green Bay is a special place and I am honored to work with such a great group of people that have all contributed to our success.”

Since taking over general manager duties in 2005, Thompson has built the foundation for a Green Bay team that has made three playoff appearances in the past four seasons and has posted a 40-24 (.625) regular-season record since 2007. Of the Packers’ 53 active-roster players in Super Bowl XLV against Pittsburgh, 49 were acquired by Thompson, with 26 of them drafted during his tenure.

The 58-year-old Thompson is a native of Atlanta, Texas. He was a three-year starter at Southern Methodist University and enjoyed a 10-year playing career as a linebacker with the Houston Oilers (1975-84). Thompson previously served an eight-year tenure with Green Bay’s personnel department (1992-99) and five seasons in Seattle (2000-04) as the team’s vice president of football operations before re-joining the Packers in 2005.

steve823
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Great news. TT has been exceptional, and MM proved how good of a coach he is with the abundance of injuries he faced.

I would like to see the Packers keep as most of their coaching staff here for as long as possible, especially Capers. and Greene.

Lurker64
02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
So possibly the "there's something you don't know" that Mark Murphy referred to after the superbowl (that caused some worry) was that Ted's contract extension was already done. That's like the best of all possible worlds.

mission
02-11-2011, 06:06 PM
So possibly the "there's something you don't know" that Mark Murphy referred to after the superbowl (that caused some worry) was that Ted's contract extension was already done. That's like the best of all possible worlds.

Yeah I thought it was going to be the 'bad' side of that comment. Turns out there was a good reason they weren't talking contract with TT. :)

gbgary
02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
done! :bow:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-General-Manager-Ted-Thompson-Signed-To-New-Contract/2bb2e09f-2394-4c00-8430-ccf971ffdd2c

RashanGary
02-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Long term deals for McCarthy and Capers would be nice. We just won the SB. We have young talent (player stability). Now we have stability at the top. Just need to add coaching stability to the list and we have every ingredient of a Dynasty.

rbaloha1
02-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Keeping the brain trust in-tact validates the beginning of the dynasty.

mmmdk
02-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I like this the most: 'Of Green Bay's 53 active players against Pittsburgh, 49 were acquired by Thompson, including 26 through the draft.'

red
02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
well, i've been very critical of TT before this season

this year showed me he knows what he's doing and i know close to jack shit

its a well deserved extension, he's built one hell of a team so far

pbmax
02-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I like this the most: 'Of Green Bay's 53 active players against Pittsburgh, 49 were acquired by Thompson, including 26 through the draft.'

And the other 27 sprung from the forehead of Reggie McKenzie in the Pro Personnel Department in the middle of the season.

I couldn't be happier, except that now I expect another shoe to drop. I am not used to uninterrupted strings of good sports fortune.

Pugger
02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
:clap:

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Sweeeeeet! Welcome back to the Age of Camelot II

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2011, 11:53 PM
And the other 27 sprung from the forehead of Reggie McKenzie in the Pro Personnel Department in the middle of the season.

I couldn't be happier, except that now I expect another shoe to drop. I am not used to uninterrupted strings of good sports fortune.

Except for the handful of rookie FAs he's signed the last few years--unless they are counting guys like Shields and Zombo as ones acquired via the draft.

Guiness
02-12-2011, 01:06 AM

Who were the 4?

Clifton and Driver for sure. Wells I think. The last one escapes me.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Cullen Jenkins

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2011, 01:13 AM
http://prod.static.packers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/clubimages/2011/02-February/cc1_5619--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

vince
02-12-2011, 06:36 AM
How great is that? Thompson is the best there is at continuing to build and support the foundation of this football team from the bottom up. No one has a more disciplined approach, a keener eye for talent or a better understanding of what is needed to put a productive team together.

What a time to be a Packer fan - 2nd youngest team in the league. Excellent financial position. Dyamic offense. Stout defense. Playmakers. Depth. Chemistry. Coaching. Super Bowl Champs. And now the guy who's responsible for it all talks about how grateful HE is just to be a part of it and signs a long-term deal in between analyzing clips of some kid from Morgan State.

We're in good hands Packer fans.

RashanGary
02-12-2011, 08:00 AM
How great is that? Thompson is the best there is at continuing to build and support the foundation of this football team from the bottom up. No one has a more disciplined approach, a keener eye for talent or a better understanding of what is needed to put a productive team together.

What a time to be a Packer fan - 2nd youngest team in the league. Excellent financial position. Dyamic offense. Stout defense. Playmakers. Depth. Chemistry. Coaching. Super Bowl Champs. And now the guy who's responsible for it all talks about how grateful HE is just to be a part of it and signs a long-term deal in between analyzing clips of some kid from Morgan State.

We're in good hands Packer fans.

Nice Post!

I've said this a few times, but I don't even think this team has peaked. Too young yet. We have a lot of players on the verge of domination.

RashanGary
02-12-2011, 08:02 AM
We are going to lose some guys (front office, coaching, players) but we have big pieces in place. MM and Capers. TT. AR, Clay, Raj. . . Everything will stay on track. This is a team everyone wants to play and coach for now. There might even be FA opportunities that we didn't get in the past. Some great players just want to get a ring and sometimes it lines up with a need we have.

SkinBasket
02-12-2011, 08:48 AM

I'm sure the Wisconsin sports reporters are real happy about that. Makes them look kinda retarded to report that Thompson was signed to an unknown extension for an unknown amount of money at an indeterminable time about two months ago... and that they never had any idea.

swede
02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
We are going to lose some guys (front office, coaching, players) but we have big pieces in place. MM and Capers. TT. AR, Clay, Raj. . .

What a blessing 6-10 and the acquisition of a mysterious 3rd round pick turned out to be.

Speaking of mysterious blessings, remember that if the New York Giants' punter kicks the ball out of bounds at the end of their game against the Eagles we'd all be arguing still over MM's stubborn qualities and TT's ego with only the thin gruel of the Steelers beating the Bears in the Super Bowl as a small consolation and our Lombardi Trophy would reside only in the land of Woulda Coulda Shoulda.

MJZiggy
02-12-2011, 09:24 AM
What a blessing 6-10 and the acquisition of a mysterious 3rd round pick turned out to be.

Speaking of mysterious blessings, remember that if the New York Giants' punter kicks the ball out of bounds at the end of their game against the Eagles we'd all be arguing still over MM's stubborn qualities and TT's ego with only the thin gruel of the Steelers beating the Bears in the Super Bowl as a small consolation and our Lombardi Trophy would reside only in the land of Woulda Coulda Shoulda.

If you wanna go down that route, if the official rules the Lions touchdown in week 1 a catch, then the Packers win the division and it doesn't matter what the Giants or Eagles do.

vince
02-12-2011, 09:47 AM
How so? The Packers would still have made the playoffs regardless. They'd have beaten the Eagles in a tiebreaker rather than the Giants.

Correction: The Packers wouldn't have needed a tiebreaker vs. the Eagles had the Giants beat them. They'd have finished a game ahead of them.

swede
02-12-2011, 10:42 AM
How so? The Packers would still have made the playoffs regardless. They'd have beaten the Eagles in a tiebreaker rather than the Giants.

Correction: The Packers wouldn't have needed a tiebreaker vs. the Eagles had the Giants beat them. They'd have finished a game ahead of them.

man, even my hindsight isn't 20-20.

get louder at lambeau
02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/41d3e90314f6011c2b62e1136c27f3aa.jpg

Fritz
02-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm sure the Wisconsin sports reporters are real happy about that. Makes them look kinda retarded to report that Thompson was signed to an unknown extension for an unknown amount of money at an indeterminable time about two months ago... and that they never had any idea.

This does say something about the abiliy of the organization to keep a secret.

Bretsky
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Long term deals for McCarthy and Capers would be nice. We just won the SB. We have young talent (player stability). Now we have stability at the top. Just need to add coaching stability to the list and we have every ingredient of a Dynasty.

I hope Winston Moss gets hired somewhere else.

Then extend the Dominator and also give him the asst head coach title and a huge raise

Lurker64
02-13-2011, 12:02 AM

Wouldn't we have missed the playoffs though, had the Lions not beaten the Bucs on the road (in OT no less)? By my math, if the Bucs win that game they've got 11 wins so the two WC teams are Tampa and New Orleans.

mmmdk
02-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Your concern was legit; we barely made the playoffs with a roster stacked with heaps of talent. Let's take the NFC North next season and go through Lambeau for our repeat SB Championship.

MadtownPacker
02-13-2011, 10:28 AM
TT is a fucking geek!

I wouldn't want a different GM. The dude is perfect for the job. No family, no apparent concern for anything besides football and fucking brilliant.

Best part might be how he can't talk to the media. :lol

Contests on a well earn bump!

Packgator
02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
TT is a fucking geek!

I wouldn't want a different GM. The dude is perfect for the job. No family, no apparent concern for anything besides football and fucking brilliant.

And no ego. All of that "Ted the Egomaniac" talk couldn't have been more wrong. He may have the smallest ego in the entire NFL.

KYPack
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I hope Winston Moss gets hired somewhere else.

Then extend the Dominator and also give him the asst head coach title and a huge raise

You got it, pal.

We gotta retain the big 3 (Whitt, Greene, and Perry).

Moss?, his role as staff bobo can easily be replaced.

gbgary
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
man, even my hindsight isn't 20-20.

lol...post of the week!

pbmax
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
You got it, pal.

Perhaps he can. But his charges had one of their better years this year. Short of chasing TEs, they played pretty well. He doesn't have a Matthews type to coach up here.

MJZiggy
02-13-2011, 05:18 PM
You got it, pal.

Moss is already asst. head coach. He'd have to get a head coaching gig in order to go anywhere. I thought he was pretty well thought of?

Fritz
02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
You got it, pal.

KY - good to see ya posting. And I think Shawn Slocum would be a great replacement staff bobo.