PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Robinson to Cowboys

Old School
02-11-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=1716DF70-9F64-6DF7-50FB0D103C1995F3

gbgary
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
don't like it.

channtheman
02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Why would a guy leave a Super Bowl winning team for the same position on a team in complete disarray? No really, is there an answer to this question?

Not that I dislike this move. Our receivers never seemed to play to their full potential except for one game (Atlanta playoff game). We had drops drops and more drops all season long.

Lurker64
02-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Why would a guy leave a Super Bowl winning team for the same position on a team in complete disarray? No really, is there an answer to this question?

Answer: It's not the same position. He was a Wide Receivers Coach, and now he's a Wide Receivers/Assistant Head Coach... and what comes with that is a large pay hike.

red
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
bring in sterling sharpe to teach the guys how to catch, they already know how to do everything else

channtheman
02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Answer: It's not the same position. He was a Wide Receivers Coach, and now he's a Wide Receivers/Assistant Head Coach... and what comes with that is a large pay hike.

Somehow I missed that. Makes a lot more sense.

mission
02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Somehow I missed that. Makes a lot more sense.

Well that was the speculation at first, then someone said nothing has officially happened on that front, and then it was "confirmed" by a Dallas beat writer. So I'm sure there's some truth to it, just not sure if the Asst HC part has been officially announced by the team.

vince
02-12-2011, 07:11 AM

Not that I dislike this move. Our receivers never seemed to play to their full potential except for one game (Atlanta playoff game). We had drops drops and more drops all season long.
I do not understand how drops have anything whatsoever to do with coaching at this level. It's not possible that an NFL receivers coach doesn't know how to teach his guys how to catch. It's also not possible that an NFL receivers coach isn't properly emphasizing the importance of catching the ball to being a receiver in the NFL.

That's just another example of blaming coaching after the fact IMO. Sometimes it's actually the player's fault or the result of skill level relative to the guy across from him for not performing on the field.

RashanGary
02-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I do not understand how drops have anything whatsoever to do with coaching at this level. It's not possible that an NFL receivers coach doesn't know how to teach his guys how to catch. It's also not possible that an NFL receivers coach isn't properly emphasizing the importance of catching the ball to being a receiver in the NFL.

That's just another example of blaming coaching after the fact IMO. Sometimes it's actually the player's fault or the result of skill level relative to the guy across from him for not performing on the field.

Yep, our guys run great routes. That back shoulder throw in the SB to James Jones was the best back shoulder route I've ever seen. He had enough speed not to tip the guy off, yet he was pacing himself enough to stop his route and turn. Jones was exactly where AR expected and the ball was exactly where Jones expected. I've seen a lot of back shoulder throws work but most of them don't look that damn smooth. That throw, route and catch is a small example of why we're SB champs. I think Robinson is probably a good coach just to get everyone going in the irght direction the way he seems to do. It's talent after that, but I suspect he's pretty good.

prime311
02-12-2011, 12:34 PM
That sucks, JR was one of our most consistent coaches from day 1. He'll be missed.

KYPack
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Robinson was one of the better WR coaches in the NFL. His replacement will have to great, too. We run as many multiple and exotic WR sets as any team in the league.

We are vulnerable to lose some D coaches, too.

Whitt jr, D Perry and Kevin G are as capable a set of personnel group coaches as any in the league. MM went from shaky coaches to first rate D coaches in a real short time.

prime311
02-12-2011, 01:01 PM
What teams are looking into Super Bowl winner Shawn Slocum?? *crickets*

bobblehead
02-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Complete speculation on my part here, but would there be specific drills that would improve a guys hands for different types of throws? I know that OL has many drills to improve footwork and "pad level".

MJZiggy
02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Complete speculation on my part here, but would there be specific drills that would improve a guys hands for different types of throws? I know that OL has many drills to improve footwork and "pad level".
Jones needs to practice over the shoulder catches. He's fine when he turns and faces ARod. Maybe he needs his peripheral vision checked.

mission
02-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Jones just needs to learn to catch with his hands. Everything he drops are cradle style catches where he's trying to bring the ball into his body.

If he just turned his hands around and snatched balls rather than waited for them then he'd be fine. Has a lot to do with coaching IMO... just can't let guys get balls into their body. Would also help him battle for passes a lot better instead of looking like he's never trying to break up a potential interception.

vince
02-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Disagree. Jones' troubles are not when he's facing the ball and it comes into his body or when he catches the ball with his hands and thumbs in. His troubles have been on go routes and/or when he's catching the ball over the shoulder with his thumbs out. Whenever possible, he should get his thumbs together and snatch the ball like you say, but that's often much more difficult to turn on the fly or impossible to reach the ball in that fashion on over-the-shoulder throws downfield which has been Jones' problem catch. Unfortunately those are the home-run balls too.

prime311
02-12-2011, 05:49 PM
For all we know the only reason Jones drops passes is because hes not getting enough opportunities to catch more of them. Hard to get in a rhythm when the ball is spread around so much. I'm not saying that is the reason but it could be. Its just concentration with him. I think we shouldn't overblow it though. Guys like Dwayne Bowe and Braylon Edwards also drop a ton of passes, but they are still game changing WR's. According to football outsiders (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr) this year Jones had a 57% catch rate. Brandon Lloyd was at 50%. Miles Austin 58%. Brandon Marshall 59%. Just saying, it seems like a lot of drops but its not as many as some let on. If anything, Jordy Nelsons 70% this year sets a ridiculously high bar and he dropped a bunch in Dallas.

packerbacker1234
02-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Yeah, bottom line is he left for more money, and honestly he can't really do much more with the core of recievers we have. They can't really get any worse, so maybe someone can make them better. No big loss really.

King Friday
02-12-2011, 07:59 PM
It is a nice promotion for Robinson. Honestly, I'm not sure we NEED Robinson at this point. We don't have a bunch of rookie WRs on the team...Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Jones all know their business and Rodgers will start taking his leadership of the offense to another level now as well. Find a stopgap for a couple years...because I could eventually see Driver becoming an excellent WR coach.

Jimx29
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Not that I dislike this move. Our receivers never seemed to play to their full potential except for one game (Atlanta playoff game). We had drops drops and more drops all season long.Butt buddies?

....that or the pay increase

MJZiggy
02-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Butt buddies?

....that or the pay increase
Maybe he needs the challenge in starting from scratch. Some guys do.

Patler
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
It is a nice promotion for Robinson. Honestly, I'm not sure we NEED Robinson at this point. We don't have a bunch of rookie WRs on the team...Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Jones all know their business and Rodgers will start taking his leadership of the offense to another level now as well. Find a stopgap for a couple years...because I could eventually see Driver becoming an excellent WR coach.

Not a stop-gap, but James Lofton is available as WR coach. He was quite highly regarded a few years ago, but after losing the HC jobs at Stanford and Oakland he has been out of coaching. Probably wouldn't be interested in returning to GB though. Not the best memories.

Joemailman
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Not a stop-gap, but James Lofton is available as WR coach. He was quite highly regarded a few years ago, but after losing the HC jobs at Stanford and Oakland he has been out of coaching. Probably wouldn't be interested in returning to GB though. Not the best memories.

Would make for an interesting scene when Driver breaks his record next year.

Smidgeon
02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah, bottom line is he left for more money, and honestly he can't really do much more with the core of recievers we have. They can't really get any worse, so maybe someone can make them better. No big loss really.

But how instrumental was Jimmy Robinson in developing the current guys? Sure, TT has a knack for finding WR talent in the draft, but Robinson has had talent for coaching it up and making something out of it. With Driver nearing the end, to get another WR to become that consistent, a coach of Robinson's caliber is necessary.

pbmax
02-13-2011, 10:04 PM

He has been broadcasting for Westwood One and is very good. He is on Dan Patrick's radio show frequently and was very high on the team and Rodgers over the last two years. If he is harboring any hard feelings, it wasn't clear during his interviews.

Patler
02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
He has been broadcasting for Westwood One and is very good. He is on Dan Patrick's radio show frequently and was very high on the team and Rodgers over the last two years. If he is harboring any hard feelings, it wasn't clear during his interviews.

I don't think he has any hard feelings. I just thought it might not be comfortable for him to come back other than as a visitor, which he has done. On the other hand, maybe coming full circle would appeal to him. Hard to tell.

Patler
02-13-2011, 10:54 PM
As another candidate, the guy Robinson is replacing, Ray Sherman, was wildly popular with the players in Green Bay when he was with the Packers. Articles in Dallas indicate the players there are not at all happy that Garrett didn't renew Sherman's contract.

But Sherman left the Packers after his son died of a self-inflicted gun shot, and the Sherman's went to court to get the cause ruling changed from suicide to undetermined and finally to accidental. Green Bay might have too many bad memories for them.

Fritz
02-14-2011, 08:00 AM
So what was the story as to why the last year or two were so difficult between Lofton and the Packers? I lived on the east coast at that time and don't recall what went down.

I do know that the guy was just a super wide receiver. Fluid, smooth, fast, good hands. Wow. When the Pack traded for John Jefferson from San Diego, I thought that'd put them over the top.

Patler
02-14-2011, 08:22 AM
So what was the story as to why the last year or two were so difficult between Lofton and the Packers? I lived on the east coast at that time and don't recall what went down.

I do know that the guy was just a super wide receiver. Fluid, smooth, fast, good hands. Wow. When the Pack traded for John Jefferson from San Diego, I thought that'd put them over the top.

In six words:

Nightclub
Stairwell
Lady
Consensual?
Trial
Acquittal

Followed by the final word:

Trade

Cleft Crusty
02-14-2011, 09:04 AM
In six words:

Nightclub
Stairwell
Lady
Consensual?
Trial
Acquittal

Trade

You forgot booing crowd and middle finger response, captured for the front page of the paper. Lofton had a rocky road there for a while, but seems to have gotten his act together. He is pretty talented at his craft providing color commentary, and may not want to get back to coaching. Who Knows? In any case, there are other, younger, Jimmy Robinson types out there chomping at the bit for a job. McCarthy should have the pick of the litter. That's what happens when you win Superbowls.

VermontPackFan
02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
In six words:

Nightclub
Stairwell
Lady
Consensual?
Trial
Acquittal

Trade

Nicely done, short and sweet.

VermontPackFan
02-14-2011, 09:08 AM
don't like it.

Hopefully this is not the beginning of a coaching exodus from Green Bay. If it doesnt happen this year, it will next.

Patler
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
You forgot booing crowd and middle finger response, captured for the front page of the paper. Lofton had a rocky road there for a while, but seems to have gotten his act together. He is pretty talented at his craft providing color commentary, and may not want to get back to coaching. Who Knows? In any case, there are other, younger, Jimmy Robinson types out there chomping at the bit for a job. McCarthy should have the pick of the litter. That's what happens when you win Superbowls.

James Lofton is younger than Jimmy Robinson, if that's what you meant. Maybe it isn't. If you meant find an up and coming type, in his 30's or early 40's; I'm sure there are some out there. The problem with those guys is that they stay a few years, then move on. I would like to see some high quality guys that want a good gig with Super Bowl possibilities to carry them to their retirement 10 years or more from now. It looks like MM wants to stay in GB. It would be nice to have a core staff that stays with him, and maybe he has that already with some, I don't know.

vince
02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
DD as player coach.:wink:

Smeefers
02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I actually don't like loosing him because Dallas has a large complement of underachieving WR's. If they start playing up to their potential, they're going to suddenly be very very dangerous. Dez Bryant is the most talented reciever to come out of the draft since Calvin Johnson. Him with a good coach is going to turn that kid into a disturbingly good WR. Despite what some people say, Tony Romo is a pretty good QB. Give him some talent around him and he can become a very good QB. Dallas has so much talent on paper and if they can turn it around, they can instantly be a contender.

Patler
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I actually don't like loosing him because Dallas has a large complement of underachieving WR's. If they start playing up to their potential, they're going to suddenly be very very dangerous. Dez Bryant is the most talented reciever to come out of the draft since Calvin Johnson. Him with a good coach is going to turn that kid into a disturbingly good WR. Despite what some people say, Tony Romo is a pretty good QB. Give him some talent around him and he can become a very good QB. Dallas has so much talent on paper and if they can turn it around, they can instantly be a contender.

Dallas had a very good coach in Ray Sherman, who developed Donald Driver and Javon Walker in Green Bay. Of course, a change in approach might help even if both are capable coaches.