PDA

View Full Version : Packers WR coach to coach Cowboys WRs/Asst HC

mission
02-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Kind of surprised at first since it seemed like a lateral move but I guess he's getting a pretty nice pay raise and increased job title.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=1716DF70-9F64-6DF7-50FB0D103C1995F3

IRVING, Texas - Apparently, there was a reason, if not two or three, why the Cowboys waited a while to fill up some of their vacant coaching staff positions.
One of them apparently was the completion of Super Bowl XLV.
The Cowboys have named Jimmy Robinson as their new wide receiver coach. Robinson has spent the last five seasons as Green Bay's receiver coach. NFL rules prohibit teams from talking to assistants before their respective seasons are over.
By joining the Cowboys, Robinson has now worked with six different NFL teams since 1990, all as the receivers coach. Robinson has been in Atlanta, Indianapolis, NY Giants, New Orleans, Green Bay and now Dallas.
Robinson fills the void left behind by veteran coach Ray Sherman, whose contract was not renewed at the end of the season.
The connection between Robinson and the Cowboys is head coach Jason Garrett, who spent four years as a backup quarterback with the Giants. For three of those seasons, Robinson was on staff as the receivers coach.
Robinson joined the Packers in 2006 and recently helped oversee a talented Green Bay unit that consisted of Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and James Jones.
And those are just the latest of a star-studded list of receivers Robinson has coached in his 21 years of NFL experience. Throw in guys like Andre Rison, Marvin Harrison, Joe Horn, Amani Tommer and Donte Stallworth. Robinson was also the first NFL coach to closely work with Deion Sanders, trying to get him equipped to play both sides of the ball. Obviously, Sanders was able to start for the Cowboys at receiver in 1996.
But now Robinson's latest prodigies will consist of Miles Austin, Roy Williams and, of course, Dez Bryant.
The hiring of Robinson could be the last order of business regarding the staff, although the Cowboys have yet to officially announce some of the moves.
This week, the club announced the addition of defensive line coach Brian Baker, as well as Friday's move to add Robinson. Next week, it's expected the Cowboys will formally announce the hiring of strength and conditioning coach Mike Woicik and defensive assistant Ben Bloom.
When the entire coaching staff has been finalized, the Cowboys will likely make all assistants available for comment, including defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, as well as the holdovers from last year's staff.
There could be some new titles on the staff this year, such as a passing game coordinator and a running game coordinator, along with an assistant offensive line coach position.

RashanGary
02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Dez Bryant is a special talent. He's an idiot, but a special talent none the less. They wanted a good WR coach to coach their prize weapon.

Lurker64
02-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I think the move to "assistant HC" comes with a big bump in pay. Wonder who McCarthy will bring in to replace him, by all accounts Robinson was a very good one.

Joemailman
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I think the move to "assistant HC" comes with a big bump in pay. Wonder who McCarthy will bring in to replace him, by all accounts Robinson was a very good one.

He was, but MM shouldn't find it difficult to attract good candidates for the job. Green Bay has to be near the top of the list as far as places that people would want to coach.

gbgary
02-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Dez Bryant is a special talent. He's an idiot, but a special talent none the less. They wanted a good WR coach to coach their prize weapon.

true...but so far he's proved to be injury prone.

Lurker64
02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Ray Sherman, who was the GB receivers coach from 2000-2004, is the outgoing Cowboys WR coach... I wonder if we'll end up just swapping assistants.

rbaloha1
02-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Great teacher and developer of young talent. A loss but probably not of the magnitude of a Capers.

mission
02-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I know everyone is half-talking about Ray Sherman but is that realistic? Who else is out there? Don't know much about WR coaches ;)

Smidgeon
02-11-2011, 10:34 PM
He was, but MM shouldn't find it difficult to attract good candidates for the job. Green Bay has to be near the top of the list as far as places that people would want to coach.

Agreed, but I'd imagine that most coaches worth their salt already found a home while GB was plugging through the playoffs.

vince
02-12-2011, 07:04 AM
By all accounts, that's a good get for the Steelers. Any word on Titans' OC or the Raiders' DC jobs? There could be 2 more assistants gone yet I believe.

Fritz
02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Pack already hired Robinson's replacement: Greg Jamison, former CEO of Crazy Glue, and more recently, Gorilla Glue. He's looking forward to working closely with James Jones.