PDA

View Full Version : Packer = paper tigers?

Spaulding
08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Is is just me or does this seem a hell of a lot better on paper between last year and this year?

I don't envy the coaching decisions to be made on cuts along the defensive line and secondary. The thought of cutting Williams who made great strides last year or Allen (who I thought could end up being a waiver like aquisition that Grady was a while back) or Cole just seems wrong. Nichols hasn't look too bad either. In the secondary if Blackmon is recovering ahead of schedule we'll be left with the dilemna of cutting Horton (keeping Woodson, Harris, Carroll) who has looked pretty good or Hawkins (talentwise tough to top but still so raw) as well as Boger who has shown some nice flashes at safety. The defense just seems stacked and I'm trying to shed the homerism to be more objective but it's not happening.

On offense this year we have the opportunity to ditch dead weight rather than swallow the fact that we don't have many options. I'd love to see Fergie get cut not because he isn't a decent player but due to the fact that this would substantiate the idea that we are better this year at that position and don't have to "settle." The offensive line HAS to be better this year based on the talent alone. If Barry and Klemm were healthy we'd be stacked for backups at tackle but instead we'll be scouring the waiver wire for some depth but if Clifton and Tauscher stay healthy it's a moot point. Guard play should be ever improving and I think Wells is a slight upgrade over an aging and oft injured Flanny.

Really, the only step backwards heading into the season is with the kicking game. Cundiff for Longwell isn't a plus although I'll be happy that the whining is finally no longer. I'm also still not convinced that Ryan's hang time will be acceptable and thus we'll be going with Sanders starting week one which means at best it's a wash there.

Overall though, with the easier schedule, a potential stud of a defense, a healthy stable of running backs and a steady #2 receiver for Brett to trust I can't help but think we're in for a good season barring injuries.

Tony Oday
08-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm also still not convinced that Ryan's hang time will be acceptable and thus we'll be going with Sanders starting week one which means at best it's a wash there.

Unless Ryan breaks his leg he is our punter. BJ is gone for sure mark it down.