PDA

View Full Version : Vandermause lays it on the TT critics!

Patler
02-14-2011, 01:09 AM
He sort of lets them have it!
Well, not "sort of"; he does let them have it!

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110213/PKR07/110213037/Mike-Vandermause-column-In-Ted-Thompson-we-trust

Fritz
02-14-2011, 07:47 AM
I felt like he was a TT critic, too, not long ago. Is that so?

vince
02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Big picture, Vandermause has always agreed with Thompson's methods generally. He has disagreed with individual decisions. I think he was vocal in his opposition to cutting Al Harris.

Fritz
02-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Ah, thank you.

get louder at lambeau
02-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Big picture, Vandermause has always agreed with Thompson's methods generally. He has disagreed with individual decisions. I think he was vocal in his opposition to cutting Al Harris.

Yeah, I think Vandermause is usually criticized more for his sometimes lazy and lackluster reporting. Bedard was the main hater, IMO. Vandy seems just a little on the dumb side sometimes.

Lurker64
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I think Vandermause is usually criticized more for his sometimes lazy and lackluster reporting. Bedard was the main hater, IMO. Vandy seems just a little on the dumb side sometimes.

Speaking of Bedard, I would love if the JSO could get him to write an article (essentially a mea culpa) about the Packers championship run. Or at least, someone should get him to comment.

rbaloha1
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
TT requires a standing ovation for rescuing the franchise from Sherman's ineptness. Where are the Favre loyalists now?

channtheman
02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
TT requires a standing ovation for rescuing the franchise from Sherman's ineptness. Where are the Favre loyalists now?

Youtube and Foxsports comment pages.

MJZiggy
02-15-2011, 09:13 PM
He sort of lets them have it!
Well, not "sort of"; he does let them have it!

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110213/PKR07/110213037/Mike-Vandermause-column-In-Ted-Thompson-we-trust

Nicely executed.

get louder at lambeau
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Speaking of Bedard, I would love if the JSO could get him to write an article (essentially a mea culpa) about the Packers championship run. Or at least, someone should get him to comment.

Your idea made me want to find out what Bedard said after the Super Bowl. Here it is-
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2011/02/07/injuries_not_too_much_to_overcome/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Today%27s+paper+A+to+Z

woodbuck27
02-16-2011, 01:11 AM

Cutting 'all hands on' Al Harris, in a certain decline at his position; was a logical move by TT, to allow our younger CB's to get the experience they needed to develop. As we've seen they have.

woodbuck27
02-16-2011, 01:21 AM
" The Thompson critics who threw a temper tantrum three years ago over Favre’s departure have been silenced. What they need to do is stand up and apologize for their boorish, sometimes outlandish behavior.

For the record, I have no problem with someone criticizing Thompson, McCarthy or any Packers team member. The wide array of opinions and viewpoints regarding the Packers is part of their overwhelming popularity. Fans have every right to question and argue over decisions the team makes. What I object to is when that criticism turns into personal attacks or nonsensical rants.

I would like to see the 1,500 or so knuckleheads that signed a petition calling for Thompson’s firing in 2008 to publicly proclaim how wrong they were. I understand how difficult it must have been to see Favre go – no one can deny how much he meant to the Packers for 16 seasons. But that was no excuse to engage in the character assassination of Thompson." fr. story

I've been a critic of Ted Thompson @ PackerRats.

Before this Packer forum I can say that if I could meet Ted Thompson. I would offer him my sincere gratitude for all he's done that was positive in helping OUR team win a Super Bowl. I believe it took him time to grow and get a feel for the essence of bringing in players to fill needs. He went a long ways there this past year. The bottom line is that he got it done and I didn't believe he ever would.

He did.

Congratulations Ted Thompson.

GO PACKERS !

vince
02-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Nice job by Bedard.

I love hearing and reading Pickett's quotes. His words just seem to be more forthright and poignant than other guys on the team. Most guys seem to be uncomfortable being interviewed so they say as little as possible or give pretty standard responses based on what the reporter is trying to glean.

Pickett seems so believable to me and he has a unique ability to quickly get to the heart of the matter. He has a great sense of humor too. Just a quality individual all around.

Gunakor
02-16-2011, 05:08 AM
I believe it took him time to grow and get a feel for the essence of bringing in players to fill needs.

He's been filling needs for us since the day he stepped into the war room in late April 2005. His first pick was Aaron Rodgers. His second was Nick Collins. Both needs. A year later he said goodbye to Ahmad Carroll and hello to Charles Woodson, and drafted Greg Jennings to fill the void Robert Ferguson didn't fill. More needs. All he's done during his entire tenure here is fill needs. Even when he was trading back in the draft, stockpiling picks and going with BPA, he was filling needs. It just took him time to fill all the needs that needed to be filled. Which, when he took over 5 years ago, was pretty much everything. Needed new DL and OL. Needed new LB's and RB's. Needed new WR's and DB's. I mean, almost the entire roster had to change. To nearly completely overturn a roster and win a SB takes time.

All you need to do to see it this way is convince yourself that we could not win a championship with the players on our roster at the end of Mike Sherman's reign of inadequacy. Because that's the honest truth. Don't believe me? Count the number of Super Bowls that Javon Walker and Ahman Green and Darren Sharper and Marco Rivera and Mike Whale and Robert Ferguson and Ahmad Carroll and Patrick Dendy and Na'il Diggs have won - combined. You'll only need one finger. We had 53 guys on our roster, and 45 of them needed to be replaced for us to win a Super Bowl. By any realistic estimate that should take longer than 5 years to accomplish. Which makes what happened here nothing short of a miracle.

Ted Thompson = miracle worker.

Scott Campbell
02-16-2011, 06:42 AM

That's because you didn't have a clue about what he was doing. And you did a lot more than just disagree with the guy. Remember all your rants about his ego, and him building the team in his own image? You decided to project imaginary character traits onto him, and tried relentlessly to recruit others to your fantasy. Now you're trying and blend back in with the rest of us as we celebrate Ted's success, but I won't soon forget your ugly smear campaign.

I'm glad I was right all along. As I got to enjoy all of this with a clear conscience.

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
" The Thompson critics who threw a temper tantrum three years ago over Favre’s departure have been silenced. What they need to do is stand up and apologize for their boorish, sometimes outlandish behavior.

For the record, I have no problem with someone criticizing Thompson, McCarthy or any Packers team member. The wide array of opinions and viewpoints regarding the Packers is part of their overwhelming popularity. Fans have every right to question and argue over decisions the team makes. What I object to is when that criticism turns into personal attacks or nonsensical rants.

I would like to see the 1,500 or so knuckleheads that signed a petition calling for Thompson’s firing in 2008 to publicly proclaim how wrong they were. I understand how difficult it must have been to see Favre go – no one can deny how much he meant to the Packers for 16 seasons. But that was no excuse to engage in the character assassination of Thompson." fr. story

Before this Packer forum I can say that if I could meet Ted Thompson. I would offer him my sincere gratitude for all he's done that was positive in helping OUR team win a Super Bowl. I believe it took him time to grow and get a feel for the essence of bringing in players to fill needs. He went a long ways there this past year. The bottom line is that he got it done and I didn't believe he ever would.

He did.

Congratulations Ted Thompson.

GO PACKERS !

Welcome to the TT fan club, woody. :)

SMBASS
02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
That's because you didn't have a clue about what he was doing. And you did a lot more than just disagree with the guy. Remember all your rants about his ego, and him building the team in his own image? You decided to project imaginary character traits onto him, and tried relentlessly to recruit others to your fantasy. Now you're trying and blend back in with the rest of us as we celebrate Ted's success, but I won't soon forget your ugly smear campaign.

I'm glad I was right all along. As I got to enjoy all of this with a clear conscience.

Thanks Scott....you just summed up exactly what I've been thinking for the past week and a half.

I may not post on this board much but I've been lurking and reading for several years so I've been around long enough to witness the entire Bert Faver debacle and the merciless bashing of T.T., M.M., Rodgers, etc.. I don’t have a problem if someone disagrees with the moves Ted has made and can intelligently discuss why they don’t agree or what they would have done differently but the fact is and will always remain that none of us has any idea regarding the multitude of circumstances that ultimately impact every football decision made at 1265 Lombardi. And you’re absolutely right about these same people trying to project imaginary character flaws onto him….”he’s gay”, “his ego is too big to do what’s right for the Packers”, etc., etc., in order to attempt to justify their weak, unfounded, and uneducated statements. Like anyone here really knows a damn thing about T.T. or M.M., or Rodgers, or any of the administrative people or players associated with the Packers.

I also love these Mea culpa’s such as the one below….. It’s not that these people can ever admit that they were wrong and had no idea what T.T. was ever doing in the first place. Nope, it’s that T.T. “grew” into the job and finally started doing what they thought he should be doing all along. Yeah, right. Give me a frickin break. Five years ago the Packers handed Ted the G.M. position and he didn’t even know what a football looked like. Thank goodness he “grew” into the position and finally started listening to all of the “experts” so that he could help bring us a Super Bowl title in such a short period of time.

I believe it took him time to grow and get a feel for the essence of bringing in players to fill needs. He went a long ways there this past year. The bottom line is that he got it done and I didn't believe he ever would.”

I willingly admit that I haven’t always understood everything Ted has been trying to accomplish, but one thing I did know is that this team was not going to win a Super Bowl with the way it was structured when he took over. It needed to be blown up and re-built almost from scratch because the window of opportunity had closed on the team that was together during Sherman’s tenure. I’m not saying, “I told you so” because I never pretended for one second to know what was going to happen or that I knew more than Ted. Thank goodness the vast majority of fans and level headed posters on this board were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and take a “wait and see” approach.

MJZiggy
02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
I believe it took him time to grow and get a feel for the essence of bringing in players to fill needs. He went a long ways there this past year. The bottom line is that he got it done and I didn't believe he ever would.”

Bass, you took my rant! I can only add to the above what a novice he must have been to get the friggin' Seahawks into SuperBowl contention before he returned here. Thompson knew what he was doing personnel-wise from the time he left here for Seattle.

Who was the poster who offered to buy TT a dog so he could kill it and leave it on his doorstep?

mraynrand
02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Who was the poster who offered to buy TT a dog so he could kill it and leave it on his doorstep?

I will bite his leg if I find out.