PDA

View Full Version : Bears Deny Titans' Interview of Mike Tice for OC Job

vince
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Brad Briggs of the Chicago Tribune reported on Twitter that the Titans requested permission to interview Mike Tice for their Offensive Coordinator vacancy, but were denied by the Bears.

It's been reported that Tom Clements is a candidate for that position. No word on whether the Titans have asked the Packers permission to interview him or whether they have allowed the Titans to interview him.

I'm of the opinion that a quality franchise should give their positional assistants the opportunity to advance their careers by interviewing for coordinator positions - unless the position is with a divisional opponent. There is too much inside knowledge for that, and those rivalries are too important.

Thoughts?

Bretsky
02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Gotta agree with you completely Vince; I'd give Clements the chance to interview with the Titans as well.........as for the Bears......f'ck em. Slocum is the only guy I'd let go to Chicago and since they've owned him on specials more than once they wouldn't want him

Guiness
02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Classless to deny him the opportunity to interview for an OC job. I know the NFL rules state that only an HC job is considered a promotion, but realistically everyone know that would not be a lateral move for Tice.

Bretsky
02-14-2011, 05:31 PM
da Bears now Tice did a great job with the OL; not sure if I'd call it classless.....certainly cut throat though.

Should GB have let Clements go interview for the Bears OC position ??

Guiness
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
With the Bears? A divisional opponent that you play twice/year? Not a chance in hell. We let Robinson go to Dallas, didn't we? Not fond of letting Dallas have one of ours, but that's more history than future.

Bretsky
02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
With the Bears? A divisional opponent that you play twice/year? Not a chance in hell. We let Robinson go to Dallas, didn't we? Not fond of letting Dallas have one of ours, but that's more history than future.

You are right

Letting Robinson go to Dallas would be the same as letting Tice to to the Titans
OK, I'm on board because I have said numerous times you should let one improve their status
Classless

As punishment, we should swap special teams coaches with the Bears !

Patler
02-14-2011, 05:52 PM

I would make that trade!

Lurker64
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I would let Clements interview with the Titans, on the condition that if he gets the job he lobbies *hard* to trade pick #40 for Matt Flynn.

vince
02-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I would let Clements interview with the Titans, on the condition that if he gets the job he lobbies *hard* to trade pick #40 for Matt Flynn.
You would think he'd have a strong level of comfortability in working with him. The Titans have always had a stout defense/ball control offense philosophy, although they struggled last year. They were 26 in yards and 18 in points defensively. Flynn would appear to fit that philosophy nicely.

rbaloha1
02-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Great idea. Packers can always find another Flynn in the draft.

Smidgeon
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
You are right

Letting Robinson go to Dallas would be the same as letting Tice to to the Titans
OK, I'm on board because I have said numerous times you should let one improve their status
Classless

Almost the same. Green Bay and Dallas are in the same conference. The Bears and Titans not so much.

Cleft Crusty
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Clefty has been searching the webs all day and can't identify a person named Denny Titan.

Lurker64
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM

I would also like to end up with another pick in the top 50 somehow.

Joemailman
02-14-2011, 09:12 PM
You are right

Classless

No way. 2011 will be Slocum's break out year.

Cheesehead Craig
02-14-2011, 11:23 PM
The Bears know that when Tice leaves, their OL will go back into shambles and their fragile QB will get demolished and their offense will just crumble. The Bears know they don't have much of a window with their aging defensive players and need to keep everyone around who can help them make a run again.

retailguy
02-15-2011, 08:15 AM
The Titans are a mess. New rookie head coach, a head case QB on the way out, a potentially disgruntled running back, and we haven't even started talking about the defense yet.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Tice went to mgmt and said, "I want another shot but not this one". "Could you block me so it doesn't look like I turned the opportunity down?"

retailguy
02-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Always?

Patler
02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
The Titans are a mess. New rookie head coach, a head case QB on the way out, a potentially disgruntled running back, and we haven't even started talking about the defense yet.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Tice went to mgmt and said, "I want another shot but not this one". "Could you block me so it doesn't look like I turned the opportunity down?"

I made the same suggestion last year about the Packers refusing the Bears the opportunity of interviewing Clements for OC. Lovie Smith looked to be on his way out, and needed success this year to stay. It very easily could have been a one year opportunity.

I'm not sure it is as applicable for the Titans situation, since they are starting the rebuilding process. Tice would be a part of the rebuild, not a stop gap effort by a vulnerable coaching staff clinging to their jobs. The new Titans staff will have a period of years to get things reversed. They would have to be absolutely awful not to have at least three years.

vince
02-15-2011, 10:45 AM

I don't think the organization would want to make themselves look that way to future coaches for no real reason.

The Titans have a lot of holes, but just about every job opening in the NFL starts that way or there wouldn't be change. They've got some players too, and a GM who's been pretty well regarded. The Titans situation would seem to be one of the more attractive opportunities for coaches who believe in themselves, thrive on challenge and are looking for an organization that values stability.

prime311
02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Is it any wonder that Rivera couldn't get along with Lovie?

Guiness
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM

I can't see why Tice would not want to interview. I can't see him being happy with a OL coach job, and even if he doesn't want to go to Tennessee, he wants to keep his name circulating. The only way I can see him not wanting to go is if they've told him he's the OC in waiting, but I don't think Tice is going anywhere soon.

denverYooper
02-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I can't see why Tice would not want to interview. I can't see him being happy with a OL coach job, and even if he doesn't want to go to Tennessee, he wants to keep his name circulating. The only way I can see him not wanting to go is if they've told him he's the OC in waiting but I don't think Tice is going anywhere soon.

I had heard that Tice was responsible for simplifying the Bears offense and that they'd basically let him work in a co-OC role in Chicago. They probably want to keep him around to keep the mad bomber in check.

vince
02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Titans hired Chris Palmer, former Browns Head Coach as OC. Good to see Clements will be staying put.

RashanGary
02-15-2011, 07:53 PM
da Bears now Tice did a great job with the OL; not sure if I'd call it classless.....certainly cut throat though.

Should GB have let Clements go interview for the Bears OC position ??

Clements and McCarthy talked about it. I'm pretty sure Clements got a nice pay raise and didn't want to interview for that job. McCarthy said him and Tom talked and were on the same page and that story was written with a lot of suggestions that were jsut wrong (namely MM held him from the interview against his will)

Tice on the other hand, they never talked about it and he's disappointed.

Very different. Lovie is being a dick here.

I'll bet when they hired him there was an agreement it had to be for 2 or 3 years. Tice agreed and now Lovie is holding him to it.