PDA

View Full Version : A-Rods Salary..

steve823
02-15-2011, 05:31 PM
If you take a look at all the QB's salaries in the league it's pretty amazing that we have A-Rod for such a low price. Manning just got tagged meaning he'll make around 23 million in one year, and even Eli makes more then Arod.

I'm not complaining at all, this just shows you how good TT is. However, you have to think Arod's contract will get restructured within a year or so if he keeps playing at the level his is. What do you guys think ?

Old School
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
It shows too that Aaron was willing to sign a reasonable contract because he was confident the organization would be fair with him down the line. He wasn't trying to get paid before he produced. It also shows he is confident in his ability, and is committed to put in whatever work is necessary to continue winning.

This bodes well for the future.

channtheman
02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I think they might rework his contract in the offseason. It might trickle to during the season, but I think the time is now. The great thing about Rodgers though, is that I don't see him whining about it and making it a distraction if it doesn't happen until next offseason.

Lurker64
02-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I think they might rework his contract in the offseason. It might trickle to during the season, but I think the time is now. The great thing about Rodgers though, is that I don't see him whining about it and making it a distraction if it doesn't happen until next offseason.

Probably the time is "after we get done with resigning our own guys in free agency, whenever that happens" rather than "now".

Guiness
02-15-2011, 09:08 PM
It was a fair, if slightly rich deal for him when he signed it. He got his money early, and the Packers are reaping the benefits of that on the back end.

He'll get some more money, but it looks like he remembers the raise they gave him before they had to.

As far as renegotiating, well, I don't think the Packers would, or should, before the new CBA is signed. They'd essentially be throwing away the money paid for a signing bonus if the lockout happens. I highly doubt anyone is going to get renegotiated, or any of the franchise tagged players will sign before that March 4th date.

Gunakor
02-16-2011, 12:53 AM
AR got tons of guaranteed money in the first two years of his current contract. If I remember correctly, AR made more money the year he got his extension than BF did in any one year he was here. 13 million i think it was. And I know he got 10 or 11 the second year of the contract as well. It dropped significantly after that with the guaranteed portion of the contract all but paid off, but I don't think it's incredibly important to either camp that his contract be redone this offseason. AR got his payday. He'll certainly get another one. The contract is good through 2013, so I'd assume talks will begin to happen during the next offseason instead of this one. I couldn't imagine Ted reworking a contract with 3 years remaining on it in the first place.

swede
02-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Brett's career-making payday was a 10 year deal wasn't it? And we all scoffed at the notion that he'd actually still be around to make 10 million a year in what...2007? Some far-off time when people would be driving around in flying cars in fantastically futuristic 2008 or 2009? That deal worked out great for us.

Another great year out of AR and the Packers will carve out a long LONG-term mega-deal for him a la Brett's deal--assuming CBA issues have been settled in such a way that it makes sense in the new financial landscape.

Scott Campbell
02-16-2011, 07:50 AM
I think it'd be funny if they sign Rodgers to a $20M post retirement marketing deal.

Kiwon
02-16-2011, 08:26 AM
I think it'd be funny if they sign Rodgers to a $20M post retirement marketing deal.

Careful, Scott. Your post contains a veiled reference to "Those We Don't Speak Of"

pbmax
02-16-2011, 08:57 AM
AR got tons of guaranteed money in the first two years of his current contract. If I remember correctly, AR made more money the year he got his extension than BF did in any one year he was here. 13 million i think it was. And I know he got 10 or 11 the second year of the contract as well. It dropped significantly after that with the guaranteed portion of the contract all but paid off, but I don't think it's incredibly important to either camp that his contract be redone this offseason. AR got his payday. He'll certainly get another one. The contract is good through 2013, so I'd assume talks will begin to happen during the next offseason instead of this one. I couldn't imagine Ted reworking a contract with 3 years remaining on it in the first place.

I don't think "tons of guaranteed money" really made his contract stand out as a great payday for him. Didn't Romo sign a very similar deal around the same time? The commentary I remember is that his deal was good but would be surpassed soon. Meaning he did not set a new bar on compensation for starting QBs. Unless injuries intervene, they will want to redo it before the last year I'd bet.

ThunderDan
02-16-2011, 09:26 AM
If you take a look at all the QB's salaries in the league it's pretty amazing that we have A-Rod for such a low price. Manning just got tagged meaning he'll make around 23 million in one year, and even Eli makes more then Arod.

I'm not complaining at all, this just shows you how good TT is. However, you have to think Arod's contract will get restructured within a year or so if he keeps playing at the level his is. What do you guys think ?

TT was skewered in 2008 on PR for extending ARod so early in the season. ARod hadn't done anything. He couldn't win games. TT should have waited until the end of the year.

Looks like a pretty smart move at this point.

mission
02-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Im with Gun... No way they touch AR's contract until there are 2 years left.

That's part of the benefit in paying a guy big money *before* he's actually earned it. Taking a risk like that has a lot of potential downside so if that's (downside) somehow avoided, then the team needs to benefit from taking that risk. In this particular case it will probably be two years of underpaying one of the best QBs in the league.

Most of us -- even the big AR supporters -- thought it was too soon to extend Rodgers, but it turned out to be great business. Again.

Bretsky
02-16-2011, 02:51 PM

now that would be pretty dam funny !

MadScientist
02-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Im with Gun... No way they touch AR's contract until there are 2 years left.
If AR wins an MVP and another Super Bowl MVP next year, they'll sweeten up the contract.

Gunakor
02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
If AR wins an MVP and another Super Bowl MVP next year, they'll sweeten up the contract.

I'd imagine talks of an extension would begin next offseason either way. There will be 2 years left at that point. He's definitely earned that extension already, but as mission pointed out, the team should and will benefit from taking that huge risk a couple years ago by having AR play quarterback for us at a mere 7.5 million dollars in 2011. In 2012 I believe that number jumps back up to 10 million in base salary anyway, and with 2 years remaining at that point it'll be time to get a deal done.

Having him at 7.5 mil this year is an earned benefit that Thompson would be foolish to concede. The 13 mil AR got a couple years ago was an unearned benefit that AR would have been foolish to decline. I'm pretty sure both sides can agree that things are the way they should be right now.