PDA

View Full Version : The Belt goes viral for Aaron Rodgers

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Hilarious! This will piss the people off that hate the Belt.

The Belt goes viral for Aaron Rodgers (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37496/the-belt-goes-viral-for-aaron-rodgers)
By Kevin Seifert

The nation has been Belted.

Or is it Beltified?

Does it even matter anymore?

We're living in the United States of Belterica.

The Belt has landed in the NBA.

It's made its way to NASCAR.

Kids are Belting in class.

Mail carriers are Belting at the end of their routes.

Preachers have Belted at the end of their sermons.

Look out, it's coming to a ring near you.

Yes, I've watched with genuine amusement as Aaron Rodgers' once-corny touchdown celebration has caught some social networking fire in the week since he earned MVP honors in Super Bowl XLV. Saturday night, Charlotte Bobcats guard Stephen Jackson did The Belt after hitting a game-winning shot. Sunday, NASCAR driver Travis Kvapil directed several Belts toward a Fox television camera at the end of an interview.

Rodgers has been Belting -- pantomiming the act of putting on a wrestling-style championship belt -- for years. Winning a Super Bowl tends to draw a little extra attention, of course -- especially after Packers linebacker Clay Matthews draped Rodgers with an actual belt during the Super Bowl postgame ceremony.

Tuesday, Rodgers tweeted: "I know I wasn't the first to do "the belt", but u gotta admit my version has really taken off! And we're the champs, beltified."

Via Twitter (@AaronRodgers12) in recent days, Rodgers has portrayed himself as a Belt judge to determine, as he tweeted, "the appropriateness of using the belt celebration after work and daily accomplishments." I'll share a few of them will you below, along with comments that reveal Rodgers to have a solid comedic side.
And then.... RT @Cole_Glavan @AaronRodgers12 just corrected my calc professor and stood up and put on the belt... Proudest moment of my life

Missed Steven Jackson doing the belt. Hitting a game winner is belt worthy especially when ur a baller like SJ. #thebeltiscontagious

Questionable belt usage RT @respinola Word to @AaronRodgers12. Just did the belt after scoring a TD against a bunch of little kids.

Guys, loading up the bar on the decline bench and pumping out two reps will wearing a weight belt n tank top...also not belt worthy

Not cool to do the belt during jazzercise ladies.

As Kirk Gibson rounded the bases after his HR in the WS in '88 he only had the use of one arm, but it was a sweet one arm belt he put on

Well worth it RT @lukereuter41 @AaronRodgers12 getting a dentition for doing the belt in the middle of class after getting a 100%

With a great belt comes great responsibility... RT @QUEEN_IBBY @AaronRodgers12 Can chicks wear the belt too? Or is it just a guy thing?

Hahahahahahahahaha amazing RT @JB_Quatro @AaronRodgers12 take out the trash: belt. Walk the dog: belt. Dishes: Belt.

Jesus wore the 1st championship belt i heard RT @revbrp @AaronRodgers12 As a pastor, should I finish the Sunday message and put on the belt?

RT @DruKure @AaronRodgers12 Did my 6 hour mail route in under 5. Got outta my mail truck.. did the championship belt in front of my boss.

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Some fun stuff in the blogosphere.

ARod giving some props to Bo Ryan.

Ok, coach K may be the best, but Bo is the most underrated bball coach in the land. And he can put the belt on whenever he wants.......

Bo Ryan is the best coach in college basketball. Doesn't get enough credit for the job he does every year. Watch out for the badgers n march

ARod tweets to TGIF

@JermichaelF88 just relaxing big fella. Can't wait to throw the ball Ur way in a few months. Have fun in Mke

NASCAR driver Travis Kvapil from Wisconsin puts on the belt:
http://www.twitvid.com/GWIVS

ARod is apparently enthralled with USA rugby.

USA about to dominate. Kuhn needs to play for US Rugby in the olympics. RT @JohnsonA6 @AaronRodgers12 can Usa pull the upset vs samoia?

BlueBrewer
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Just when I thought I could not possibly like our QB any more than I currently do..... I wish he was my best friend.

3irty1
02-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Jessica Szohr is related to my gf. Hopefully this one lasts so he has to come to family Christmas.

red
02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
all this favre bashing/a-rod love (i think its the same thing these days) is bound to piss people off

red
02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Jessica Szohr is related to my gf. Hopefully this one lasts so he has to come to family Christmas.

tell your relative that i would like to nail her, see if she's up for it

BZnDallas
02-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Just when I thought I could not possibly like our QB any more than I currently do..... I wish he was my best friend.

WHAT?

DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?

YUP!!!

-stepbrothers

BZnDallas
02-16-2011, 11:58 PM
i have to confess... i did "the belt" after bowling a turkey (3 strikes in a row) in my bowling league last saturday night....

packerbacker1234
02-16-2011, 11:58 PM
I admit, I did the belt at work a couple days ago after killing it during rush hour. Was good for a slew of laughs.

Bossman641
02-17-2011, 12:29 AM
I love the belt. My brother and friends do it all the time.

swede
02-17-2011, 07:47 AM
If you repeat the belt move over and over it looks like the wordless punch line to one of the comic crudities of my junior high school yooth.

Q: How do you make a horse come?

A: (Repeat the belt move over and over with your tongue hanging out of the side of your mouth.)

Kiwon
02-17-2011, 08:58 AM
If you repeat the belt move over and over it looks like the wordless punch line to one of the comic crudities of my junior high school yooth.

Q: How do you make a horse come?

A: (Repeat the belt move over and over with your tongue hanging out of the side of your mouth.)

Okay, thanks for sharing that......

By the way, Matthews was on Leno talking about how the NFL got upset on the belt cameo with Rodgers immediately after the game. Has there been any official comment about that from the League? I have not heard anything.

woodbuck27
02-17-2011, 09:07 AM
QUOTE=red;578539]all this favre bashing/a-rod love (i think its the same thing these days) is bound to piss people off[/QUOTE]

or .....

Simply accept it as 'a reality at Packerrats' and sensable posters here, to lead the way to ignoring this useless controversy between Rodgers and Favre as if it doesn't really exist, and so what if it does. Such a controversity if engaged only serves small mands.

Bottom line IMO.

It's a load of horseshit in terms related to the big picture for Packer fans. Seeing our team pursue another Super Bowl Championship; and that's alot more than 'just Aaron Rodgers and his ego or feelings' or any one individual on the Packer roster. The packer players stance will be be to ignore that and focus on a higher purpose. Winning a spot in next season's playoffs. Doing the best they can and achieving another Super Bowl berth. Winning the Super Bowl again.

I'm sure that's TT's amd MM's and his coaching staff's position.

As Green Bay Packer fans, we should support that as well. Ignore distractions that reduce us as posters here @ PackerRats. Add fuel to a senseless controversy that serves nothing related towords being a supportive Packer fan.

Edwin. wooodbuck27

GO Packers GO !!

mraynrand
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
tell your relative that i would like to nail her, see if she's up for it

How romantic. Ah, spring, when a young man's fancy turns to nailing.

woodbuck27
02-17-2011, 09:30 AM
How romantic. Ah, spring, when a young man's fancy turns to nailing.

Yaa! The rites of Spring and manhoods best laid plans.

Maybe not. (-:

PACKERS Super Bowl Champs ... '4 Times' and counting.... 2011 !

prime311
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
all this favre bashing/a-rod love (i think its the same thing these days) is bound to piss people off

Sure. It pisses off Vikings fans and their still empty trophy case.

woodbuck27
02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Sure. It pisses off Vikings fans and their still empty trophy case.

So it's all about Viking fans? How many Viking fans visit or are very active at PackerRats?

We lost one very solid poster because of all the ant- Favre bashing and bitterness that often got out of hand here.

His name Rastak.

Many of us miss Rastak's contributions and positive attitudes here serve a bigger. To emulate what Rastak always tried to be as a member. To promote a posting style that is welcoming to any NFL fan. To enjoy all this Packer home has to offer as a privalege not a site to act like school kids.

Back to the issue in this thread. The issue has to do with Packer fans and returning to the Aaron Rodgers as OUR QB era. Any controversy Rodgers Vs Favre as a 'real concern' here at PackerRats is silly to engage.

GO PACK GO !

Jimx29
02-17-2011, 03:43 PM
it still pales in comparison to cullpeckers roll.

RashanGary
02-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh geeze, Woodbuck. We're a bunch of Packer fans that won the SB. Of course we're going to rub it in to Vikings, Bears and Favre fans. Viking and Bear fans always think they're better than us and Favre thought he was the reason we were successful. Proved them all wrong.

Lurker64
02-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Hopefully Rastak will come and hang out with us for the draft. He's good draft company, and everybody (especially us this year) gets to feel good about their team during the draft.

Scott Campbell
02-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Hopefully Rastak will come and hang out with us for the draft. He's good draft company, and everybody (especially us this year) gets to feel good about their team during the draft.

Not in the 3rd round.

woodbuck27
02-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Oh geeze, Woodbuck. We're a bunch of Packer fans that won the SB. Of course we're going to rub it in to Vikings, Bears and Favre fans. Viking and Bear fans always think they're better than us and Favre thought he was the reason we were successful. Proved them all wrong.

Ohh ! (-:

Guiness
02-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Okay, thanks for sharing that......

By the way, Matthews was on Leno talking about how the NFL got upset on the belt cameo with Rodgers immediately after the game. Has there been any official comment about that from the League? I have not heard anything.

Good question, I haven't seen anything. You're right, I can't see the NFL being happy at all about the belt being there, free advertising for someone, and I'm sure they've got a belt endorsement deal with Hugo Boss or someone, and only their belts can be worn...

Tarlam!
02-18-2011, 01:59 AM
I could understand the No Fun League being upset if "the Belt ceremony" is in any way respresented unsportsmanlike conduct. Maybe it's just me, but the ceremony was a way of motivating teammates that they'd just accomplished something (a play) that was championship worthy. It seemed to me more "see, we belong" than "in your face".

CMIII awarding the "Belt" was a parody, nothing more. It was more for Rodgers' teasing than anything else. That's how I read it.

The NFL needs to get rid of Goodell and give the fans what they love; smash mouth football with the element of entertainment. Nobody here believes Muhamed Ali would have become so successful with his combination of wit and punch, do they?

Smidgeon
02-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I could understand the No Fun League being upset if "the Belt ceremony" is in any way respresented unsportsmanlike conduct. Maybe it's just me, but the ceremony was a way of motivating teammates that they'd just accomplished something (a play) that was championship worthy. It seemed to me more "see, we belong" than "in your face".

CMIII awarding the "Belt" was a parody, nothing more. It was more for Rodgers' teasing than anything else. That's how I read it.

The NFL needs to get rid of Goodell and give the fans what they love; smash mouth football with the element of entertainment. Nobody here believes Muhamed Ali would have become so successful with his combination of wit and punch, do they?

Agreed. But now the lasting iconic picture of the Super Bowl celebration is Matthews holding the belt over Rodgers' head. I think it's awesome.

Guiness
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Kudos to Freak Out for finding this video of Tie Domi (former Rangers/Leaf tough guy) doing 'the belt'. I'd forgotten about it, he did it quite a lot iirc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RKyfSM6kk&feature=player_embedded#at=69

Right around the 58 second mark...although the fights before and after are well worth watching!

pbmax
03-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Good question, I haven't seen anything. You're right, I can't see the NFL being happy at all about the belt being there, free advertising for someone, and I'm sure they've got a belt endorsement deal with Hugo Boss or someone, and only their belts can be worn...

From a different interview and set of quotes, I got the sense that it was the NFL PR minions worried that someone was going to either a) get a free endorsement (The Car-X Title Fan Belt) on the sports biggest stage or b) a joke or prank of some sort that might embarrass them. Frankly, I can understand asking a few questions to be careful and they did let him get up there with it. Perhaps they were actually paying attention to the interaction between the players and the fans.

The NFL has given the Packers a few passes in the long history of the No Fun League. The belt is one; the Lambeau Leap is another.

Patler
03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Kudos to Freak Out for finding this video of Tie Domi (former Rangers/Leaf tough guy) doing 'the belt'. I'd forgotten about it, he did it quite a lot iirc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RKyfSM6kk&feature=player_embedded#at=69

Right around the 58 second mark...although the fights before and after are well worth watching!

6'3" Bob Probert against 5'8" Ti Domi. A classic. Tomi was a darn tough nut in a small package. He always got his licks in and backed down from no one.

Incidently, Bob Probert died last summer at age 45.

Guiness
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
6'3" Bob Probert against 5'8" Ti Domi. A classic. Tomi was a darn tough nut in a small package. He always got his licks in and backed down from no one.

Incidently, Bob Probert died last summer at age 45.

Domi was a piece of work alright. Ever hear about the time he beat up the fan that climbed into the penalty box??? He was an all around athlete, having played in a semi-pro soccer league, and as a place kicker in the CFL!

Probert was a rare talent as well, few other guys could be such an intimidating force on the ice while remaining a threat to score a goal. Dave Schultz. Tiger Williams once scored 35 goals and played in the all-star game. Had over 300 penalty minutes the same year.

The NHL has changed an awful lot in the past 15 or so years. Since the strike, I guess - did you know there are no active NHL players with 2000 penalty minutes?

(ya, there's little or no football to talk about. When the biggest headline is whether or not Jones got a tender that won't end up mattering...)