PDA

View Full Version : Starks, Quarless and Nelson

RashanGary
02-16-2011, 05:06 PM
The way Nelson played down the stretch, you have to be excited about his future in GB.

Andrew Quarless wasn't great, but he was a rookie coming into a complex offense. He showed flashes, particularly when he ran right by that safety on the fake FG. Not many TE's have 4.5 speed. He does. He could be another mismatch type weapon, Jermichael-lite.

Starks showed me more as a runner than I thought possible. I remember the clips of him in college catching out of the backfield, lining up out wide and running WR routes, catching bombs. I didn't think he would be able to run the way he did. After a year in the offseason program and a year knowing the offense, he could come back as a unique weapon who can run or split out and pressure the defense that way.

If I had to rank who I think is most likely to be good, I'd do this:
Nelson
Starks
Quarless

If I had to rank who has the highest potential, I'd do this:
Starks
Quarless
Nelson

Regardless, we have some possible up and coming playmakers. Will be fun to see who pans out.

Joemailman
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Training camp will be fun next year. It's a coach's dream to have the kind of competition the Packers will have at so many positions, and that's without knowing what the draft will bring in.

Smidgeon
02-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Training camp? What's that? ~CBA

sharpe1027
02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I might even be more excited about Neal. Burnett is intriguing as well.

Joemailman
02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Training camp? What's that? ~CBA

Brett? Is that you?

King Friday
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Quarless is OK, but he's not going to get much of a chance to shine once Finley comes back. He has his moments, but he seemed to drop as many passes and he caught. When you are the 5th guy the defense is worrying about as a receiver, you need to be able to make plays consistently. Not big plays, but plays. Barring Finley becoming a ego maniac and forcing his way off the roster, I don't see Quarless ultimately shining in Green Bay. He may catch on elsewhere though.

I like Starks, but it will be interesting to see how he factors in with Grant back. The likely abbreviated training camp this offseason (that CBA won't be done until mid-August at the earliest) is not in Starks' favor. The kid needs some reps. Grant will too for that matter. RB will be very interesting to watch preseason next year.

Nelson is reaching his potential at this point. He's no better than a #2 WR, but he's clearly a guy that Rodgers has a lot of confidence in. With Driver probably in decline, Nelson will see more #2 CBs covering him. Being able to continue to excel with more defensive attention paid to him will be vital for this offense to continue to shine, but I think he can handle it.

mraynrand
02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
. Barring Finley becoming a ego maniac and forcing his way off the roster, I don't see Quarless ultimately shining in Green Bay. He may catch on elsewhere though.

Maybe it's just me, but I see that as reasonably likely.

channtheman
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM

As do I. We thought he matured but I could easily see him becoming a locker room cancer. Time will tell, but my confidence in Finley is low.

Smidgeon
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Brett? Is that you?

What does Brett Favre and and ending CBA have in common? No training camp! :D

Smidgeon
02-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Quarless is OK, but he's not going to get much of a chance to shine once Finley comes back. He has his moments, but he seemed to drop as many passes and he caught. When you are the 5th guy the defense is worrying about as a receiver, you need to be able to make plays consistently. Not big plays, but plays. Barring Finley becoming a ego maniac and forcing his way off the roster, I don't see Quarless ultimately shining in Green Bay. He may catch on elsewhere though.

I like Starks, but it will be interesting to see how he factors in with Grant back. The likely abbreviated training camp this offseason (that CBA won't be done until mid-August at the earliest) is not in Starks' favor. The kid needs some reps. Grant will too for that matter. RB will be very interesting to watch preseason next year.

Nelson is reaching his potential at this point. He's no better than a #2 WR, but he's clearly a guy that Rodgers has a lot of confidence in. With Driver probably in decline, Nelson will see more #2 CBs covering him. Being able to continue to excel with more defensive attention paid to him will be vital for this offense to continue to shine, but I think he can handle it.

See, I think even if Finley does grow up and stay in the fold that M3 will find a way to get Quarless involved. I think Quarless will be a talented player (maybe a Top 15 TE) someday. He isn't in Finley's class, but can you imagine the 2 TE sets M3 could contrive?? Just watch the offense get even more diverse...

I'm hoping we go to more of a 2 RB system since it will save tread on both guys, but the team will always be pass first. Neither is Ahman Green (sadly), Grant has shown somewhat more consistency (year to year not game to game), and Starks has (in my opinion) shown more ability. Neither fumble, which is HUGE.

Nelson may be no better than a #2 (and I don't disagree), but I think he could be a very good #2. He's got the speed for it, and it appears as if he's developing a knack for reading zone coverage. Now if only Jones can get his drops down (I suggest three hours a day on the JUGS machine)...

wootah
02-17-2011, 06:26 AM
As do I. We thought he matured but I could easily see him becoming a locker room cancer. Time will tell, but my confidence in Finley is low.

Me too, and I think our Superbowl MVP as well. I do not think at all it's a coincidence that Arod kept mentioning the return of Finley and gave him high praise ("the best TE in football") in the post-Superbowl interviews. He also repeated that when sending a message to Finley via Twitter (to which Jermichael answered that he was extatic to have Arod throwing him the ball for the next 10 years). Why with Finley and not Grant?

It has been documented that nothing Arod does is without a plan; the funny staches in training camp, organizing parties at his place, remembering all the players' birthdays, the belt. It all served a certain purpose... This in combination with his Finley remarks made me think. I might be completely wrong here, but I think Arod wants to keep Finley close, also knowing that there's a possibility of things getting ugly in the future. To be a respected voice of reason for Finley should it be necessary. Going even further, it's has also been said in interviews that the Finleys and the Barnetts get along well. Maybe Arod wants to anticipate on a departure of Barnett and how this would piss Finley off. Or maybe Arod just want to spend some time an igloo.

Again, this is just my gut feeling. Although it's striking how many fans have a similar fear regarding Finley.

wist43
02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I don't see Starks as being able to hold up over the long haul... he simply runs too upright, and will absorb an awful lot of punishment. He is a good complimentary back, and you can ride him for stretches, but I don't ever see him being a 250-300 carry/game guy.

Little Whiskey
02-17-2011, 07:08 AM
but I don't ever see him being a 250-300 carry/game guy.

holy crap that would be a lot of carries. I don't see any back (except chuck norris) being able to carry the ball that many times per game.

Joemailman
02-17-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't see Starks as being able to hold up over the long haul... he simply runs too upright, and will absorb an awful lot of punishment. He is a good complimentary back, and you can ride him for stretches, but I don't ever see him being a 250-300 carry/game guy.

I'll assume you meant 250/300 carries per season. :grin: Only 7 RB's had 300+ carries last year. The trend is definitely toward having at least 2 guys sharing the load. He could be the #1 RB, but he won't be the only one. I do think he has a little more elusiveness than Grant, so he may be able to avoid some of the hard hits that Grant takes.

wist43
02-17-2011, 08:10 AM
lol

No, pretty sure I meant per/game...

Imagine the ball control :D

pbmax
02-17-2011, 09:26 AM

An interesting question. He seems diligent and willing to work, but I suppose that doesn't mean he couldn't also be very impatient on the contract front especially given the injury.

I don't get an ego only vibe from Finley, I think he is engaged with the team. But getting paid after an injury might become job #1. I hope not. I actually like the confidence and he does seem to put an effort into being a decent teammate. In other words, if the team was to have an ego problem on the roster, I would be happy to have it be Finley's version than some other WRs.

Zool
02-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Exact same thing was said about Grant. Sayers and Dickerson ran upright also. Now I'm not comparing talent, just running style.

denverYooper
02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
(I suggest three hours a day on the JUGS machine)...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2011/02/rodgers.jpg

prime311
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
I could definitely see Finley on the trading block. I like him, but he's not doing himself any favors with his attitude. This could quickly become a Giants-Shockey situation. I actually like Crabtree more then Quarless right now, but over time Quarless could develop into an exceptional TE. Nelson runs great routes and has deceptive speed, he is a perfect compliment to Jennings just as Driver is and it's good to have such an easy succession. He's our Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith(NYG), Wes Welker, etc...

vince
02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Starke is 6'2" so he runs tall even when he's leaning. He runs high in space but when he's in traffic, it seems to me he does a good job of getting low more often than not. He regularly lowers the boom and knocks the tackler back rather than taking punishment. He doesn't have a lot of trouble getting his pads down, even with his height.

channtheman
02-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Me too, and I think our Superbowl MVP as well. I do not think at all it's a coincidence that Arod kept mentioning the return of Finley and gave him high praise ("the best TE in football") in the post-Superbowl interviews. He also repeated that when sending a message to Finley via Twitter (to which Jermichael answered that he was extatic to have Arod throwing him the ball for the next 10 years). Why with Finley and not Grant?

It has been documented that nothing Arod does is without a plan; the funny staches in training camp, organizing parties at his place, remembering all the players' birthdays, the belt. It all served a certain purpose... This in combination with his Finley remarks made me think. I might be completely wrong here, but I think Arod wants to keep Finley close, also knowing that there's a possibility of things getting ugly in the future. To be a respected voice of reason for Finley should it be necessary. Going even further, it's has also been said in interviews that the Finleys and the Barnetts get along well. Maybe Arod wants to anticipate on a departure of Barnett and how this would piss Finley off. Or maybe Arod just want to spend some time an igloo.

Again, this is just my gut feeling. Although it's striking how many fans have a similar fear regarding Finley.

Very good point, and one I agree with. Well said.

mraynrand
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
An interesting question. He seems diligent and willing to work, but I suppose that doesn't mean he couldn't also be very impatient on the contract front especially given the injury.

I don't get an ego only vibe from Finley, I think he is engaged with the team. But getting paid after an injury might become job #1. I hope not. I actually like the confidence and he does seem to put an effort into being a decent teammate. In other words, if the team was to have an ego problem on the roster, I would be happy to have it be Finley's version than some other WRs.

I don't see him doing crunches in front of reporters either.

mraynrand
02-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't ever see him being a 250-300 carry/game guy.

I don't either, but I'd like to see that happen - just to see it.

wist43
02-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Well, Grant played 1 game in '10; Sayers and Dickerson were aberrations... can't really click off too long a list of tall, upright runners - there's a reason for that; and while there are always exceptions to the rule I don't see Starks being that exception.

I have no problem with Starks being part of a platoon.

mraynrand
02-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Get a Few years out of Grant, a few years outta Stark, then move on to the next RB. That wouldn't be so bad would it? Especially since the price is right.

swede
02-17-2011, 12:13 PM

In the Rocky Bleier way?

Patler
02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, Grant played 1 game in '10; Sayers and Dickerson were aberrations... can't really click off too long a list of tall, upright runners - there's a reason for that; and while there are always exceptions to the rule I don't see Starks being that exception.

Adrian Peterson 6'1"
Jim Brown 6'2"
Chuck Muncie 6'3"
George Rodgers 6'2"

All were tall, upright runners.

Everyone said Adrian Peterson would not last because of his upright running style, but so far he has. I don't think it matters so much how upright you run, but what you do as you are hit. The ones who last are the ones who deliver a blow as they are hit. The thing that impressed me the most about Starks was that he always moved forward on contact, often knock defenders over. The biggest hits against him ended up as stalemates. I'm not that worried about him.

HarveyWallbangers
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Eddie George also. That's who Starks reminds me of the most.

Patler
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Eddie George also. That's who Starks reminds me of the most.

I thought about him, and remembered him as being tall, but for the life of me can't remember what he looked like when he ran. If Starks can spend a few years running like Eddie George did, I'll be satisfied! :lol:

Little Whiskey
02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2011/02/rodgers.jpg

i think rodgers is looking off a defender. no way he misses the one on his left!

she even has her hand up calling for the ball! she's open!!!

Freak Out
02-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Finley on the trading block? Huh? I don't follow the guys Twitter garbage but what has he said that warrants trade talk? The dude is a freakish talent when healthy. We want him a Packer unless he goes crazy.

BlueBrewer
02-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Starks may be tall but he gets low and greasy at the end of of runs, that will help him avoid the big hits. That is part of the reason he always falls forward. He is a real diamond in the rough.

Guiness
02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Finley on the trading block? Huh? I don't follow the guys Twitter garbage but what has he said that warrants trade talk? The dude is a freakish talent when healthy. We want him a Packer unless he goes crazy.

That's just the thing. Thinking among some around here is that the over-under on him going crazy is about 1:1.

re: picture
Is that ladies night at the club or something? I can count what looks like 8 women in the picture. Other than Rodgers, 1 other guy (dark shirt, behind and to the left of the girl in the pink)?

Joemailman

Agreed. Sometimes I think he has a little T.O. in him, but there's still plenty of time to steer him in the right direction. Maybe the fact that the Packers won the Super Bowl without him will give him a little dose of humility.

MadScientist
If Quarless can improve to be a reliable catcher and an adequate blocker, an Finley improves his blocking, the Packers can really create nightmares for for defenses. Imagine a formation with Jennings, Finley, Quarless, Starks, and Kuhn. Do you send people in for a power run, or for wide open passing?

VegasPackFan
02-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Finley is a BEAST and unless he does something overtly to hurt the team, you have to keep him and use him. This manchild has too much talent to pass up. I think that the manchild/beast has now seen that this team can win without him, and that is a good thing for for him. Now he can add to something that is already great and win again...

Freak Out
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
One of the things that impressed me about Starks was that he would do the horizontal bop down the line and I would think he's a goner...but he'd end up 6-8 yards down field anyway.

RashanGary
02-18-2011, 02:54 PM
I think the reason there are all of the women in the picture is because that's what happens when football players are around. I was at Hooters with a buddy from work after a few celebration beers and Nick Collins showed up. Collins was sitting at a table with a friend. The Hooter girls all magically took a break at the same time and sat right next to the table Collins was at. They were being lout and drawing attn to themselves. If you were to take a picture, it would look like hooters employee night in the picture. So pretty much, whereever the attractive man is, there will be women. They're all just flocking hoping to get his attn.

swede
02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I think the reason there are all of the women in the picture is because that's what happens when football players are around. I was at Hooters with a buddy from work after a few celebration beers and Nick Collins showed up. Collins was sitting at a table with a friend. The Hooter girls all magically took a break at the same time and sat right next to the table Collins was at. They were being lout and drawing attn to themselves. If you were to take a picture, it would look like hooters employee night in the picture. So pretty much, whereever the attractive man is, there will be women. They're all just flocking hoping to get his attn.

I need a cologne that makes me smell rich and famous.

Smidgeon
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I need a cologne that makes me smell rich and famous.

We have the upper shelf variety:
http://liquorlocusts.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ist2_5161677-money-in-a-bottle.jpg

And we have the lower class variety:
http://www.photos8.com/thumbs/saving_money_in_alcohol_bottle-t2.jpg

Both are kind of hard to get to spray out in an even pattern. Many customers reported a stinging sensation when the coins hit the skin. We think they're whiners.

woodbuck27
02-19-2011, 11:22 PM
What does Brett Favre and and ending CBA have in common? No training camp! :D

I imagined 'the Favre Factor'was extinct.

This past season was wild in terms of what teams really were dominant. If TC starts late it could be even wilder in 2011. I am assuming the season will float. Too many players with too much money at stake and they lose if there is a work stoppage.

I hope the season including TC goes as per the schedule. I hate the idea of 18 games and that's a real issue in this negotiation.

GO PACK GO!

GO PACKERS!

Mazzin
02-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I would have to say that what you are looking for is Sex Panther. 60% of the time it works everytime.

Smidgeon
02-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Well, before the picture worked... <shrugs> Oh well. Not nearly as apropos now.