PDA

View Full Version : What Free Agent would you want..pick one

steve823
02-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Put aside TT's tendencies, players' salary, and all that for a little bit. For the hell of it, if you have to pick one free agent for the Packers to get this year who would you pick?

Since Woodley and Ngata are tagged I would have to put it between Carl Nicks and Asomougha. As tempting as Asomugha is, I have a feeling he might hinder Shields' development because most of the time it would be Woodson/Twill/Asmougha on the field. I'm happy with our Secondary now without a doubt.

Anyways, the winner is Carl Nicks. Nicks/Sitton is a pretty dam amazing combo of guards and would easily be the best in the NFL.

packerbacker1234
02-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Asomougha.

Woodson is great, but he's nearing the end. I mean, how he got hurt was even a routine type play. You have to wonder if his body can continue to hold up for another full season. On top of that you have still don't really have the long term answer at SS, or do we really have a top tier guy for the other OLB spot. Either way you slice it Asomougha would eat into Shields playing time, but is that a bad thing? Who is better - Shields or Asomougha?

Asomougha has a lot of years left (at least a handful) of potentially being arguably the best CB in the league. I love me some shields, but why would I not want such a huge upgrade?

Alternatively I think our OL is solid. Not great, but the real answer we need is another tackle.

steve823
02-19-2011, 05:53 PM
The crazy thing is that he said he wants to go to the Packers (he's good friends with woodson) or the Jets. I think the only way the Packers get him is if he takes a significant pay cut, no way TT is paying top dollar for him.

It's pretty scary to picture him and revis on the same team though. Jets are probably getting rid of Cromartie so a combo of Revis/Asomugha is unheard of.

TennesseePackerBacker
02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
The crazy thing is that he said he wants to go to the Packers (he's good friends with woodson) or the Jets. I think the only way the Packers get him is if he takes a significant pay cut, no way TT is paying top dollar for him.

It's pretty scary to picture him and revis on the same team though. Jets are probably getting rid of Cromartie so a combo of Revis/Asomugha is unheard of.

I've heard rumours of him to the Eagles as well. Samuel/Asomaugha would be a pretty ridiculuous combo too. Of course, both teams don't have much at safety. Even if the front-end of the pass D holds up, subpar safety play can be exploited. For example, the Jets secondary wasn't the same after they lost Jim Leonard(sp?).

If Asomugha were to come to Green Bay it would certainly be a good problem to have. Our secondary was relatively untouched by injury during the year, except for the Superbowl. Who knows how the cards will fall next year in that department.

Lurker64
02-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Our secondary was relatively untouched by injury during the year, except for the Superbowl.

Yup, we only lost three safeties to IR during the season. Almost completely unscathed!

woodbuck27
02-19-2011, 07:28 PM
If I had free reign and had to choose between Carl Nicks and Asomougha; it would be the CB. Charles Woodson may be soon done.

GO PACKERS!

get louder at lambeau
02-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Yup, we only lost three safeties to IR during the season. Almost completely unscathed!

And the reigning Defensive Player of The Year, Charles Woodson, was hobbled with turf toe all year, and Sam Shields missed two games, and Al Harris never made it off the PUP list, and Bigby only played in one regular season game...

...but besides that, our secondary made it through the season almost completely unscathed.

gbgary
02-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Asomougha.

Woodson is great, but he's nearing the end. I mean, how he got hurt was even a routine type play.

the play was routine but the way he landed wasn't. goes for anyone...if you land hard/awkward on your shoulder, something always gives.

as for the question at hand...not knowing who all is free, i'll pick a position or two. our secondary (pass defense as a whole was great, number one in fact) so as great as it would be to get asomougha i'd opt for o-line. any o-line studs out there?

Lurker64
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Isn't Nicks an RFA, and almost certain to be tendered at a 1 and a 3? If we're giving up multiple draft picks for a guy, I would probably rather give up two 1s for Tamba Hali or Lamar Woodley.

Iron Mike
02-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Isn't Ole #4 technically a free agent now??

King Friday
02-19-2011, 08:24 PM
The Jets cap situation isn't pretty. I'm guessing they don't have a great chance at landing Aso without crippling the future of the team. While we technically have the cap space to grab him, I'm not sure it would be a great move. If we can take guys like Tramon and Shields and make them very capable players, why overspend on Aso? Defensively, our coaching staff is very solid and can develop young talent.

Our OL needs some help. I don't think we can really count on Clifton or Colledge being around long term. Our capacity to develop players there has been subpar. Sitton is really the only guy we've been able to develop into an excellent OL prospect...and we got lucky a talent like Bulaga fell to us so late in the first round. Our franchise can survive the loss of a guy in the secondary. We proved as much in SB45. Our franchise can't survive the loss of Rodgers due to spotty OL play.

If we dip into free agency, I would hope it would be for some help on the OL to bolster our pathetic run attack and help keep the franchise QB from getting another concussion.

Lurker64
02-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Isn't Ole #4 technically a free agent now??

He is, but with Jarret Bush and B.J. Raji on the roster I don't think we need another gunner or nose tackle.

woodbuck27
02-19-2011, 08:42 PM
He is, but with Jarret Bush and B.J. Raji on the roster I don't think we need another gunner or nose tackle.

Brett Favre NEWS!!

Headline:

Favre re-signs with Packers

Ted Thompson reports that he's pleased to have Favre back in the fold. That he's expected to fill a vital role on ST's as a gunner.

GO PACKERS!

steve823
02-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I dont care who goes where to be honest. All I know is that this free agency is going to be fun to watch if cba or whatever is fixed. You got asomugha a fa and bailey most likely leaving the broncos. How often do two top 5 corners hit the market at the same time

King Friday
02-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Not often...and not this year. Bailey isn't a top 5 CB anymore. He's not the player he was 3-4 years ago.

steve823
02-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Not often...and not this year. Bailey isn't a top 5 CB anymore. He's not the player he was 3-4 years ago.

He played exceptional all year and had a resurgence. I dont know where you base your claim from but you can check a lot of football sites and look at how he graded out.

King Friday
02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm not saying Bailey is bad. I'm simply saying that he isn't top 5 anymore. I still think he is top 10, but some of the younger guys like Talib or Tramon are awful talented and entering their prime. Bailey is also clearly entering the downside of his career, while other guys are ascending. Denver faced a ton of crappy passing offenses this year. They only faced opponents that finished in the TOP HALF of the league in passing 4 times. That means 75% of their games were against inferior passing offenses. I would hope Champ had a "resurgence" against that kind of schedule. One of my better friends is a Broncos fan and his take is that Champ isn't the guy he was 3-4 years ago. Still very good and a great presence in the locker room, but no longer elite coming up on 33 years of age.

I'd take Bailey in Green Bay right now for a reasonable price. He's still going to be a capable starting corner for another 2-3 years, and I'm sure he'd love to play on our defense.

steve823
02-20-2011, 01:39 AM
I get your point, but I'm not talking about his long term future or any young budding stars. As of right now he is a top 5 corner. May not be the biggest name anymore ,but he has shut people down this year. He graded out as the highest in pass coverage this year according to profootballfocus which is a reputable site. Not too shabby if you ask me. A lot of people think he "fell" off because he was injured last year and didn't play that great.

bobblehead
02-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Cullen Jenkins

MJZiggy
02-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Brett Favre NEWS!!

Headline:

Favre re-signs with Packers

Ted Thompson reports that he's pleased to have Favre back in the fold. That he's expected to fill a vital role on ST's as a gunner.

GO PACKERS!
Nah, not fast enough to be a gunner anymore. Put him in as PR/KR

mraynrand
02-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Asomougha.

Woodson is great, but he's nearing the end. I mean, how he got hurt was even a routine type play.

I agree with you that Woodson is nearing the end, but the routine play bit doesn't hold water. Shields was hurt on the routine play just before, and Sanders was hurt on a routine play for the Steelers earlier. Those two aren't exactly wizened veterans. As a Packer fan, you should know that injuries happen all the time, and don't necessarily show preference for aged veterans!

My position is that if the Packers can leverage Assomugga's desire to play for a winner into a non-crippling contract, they should do it. I'm certain Capers can find a way to get Woodson, Collins, Assomooga, Shields, and Williams on the field at the same time. As I mentioned before, this lineup would have a real chance at being able to effectively shut down an oppositions' passing game. What a weapon.

Fritz
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I like the idea of signing some of the Packers' own; but I also like the idea of having a guard named Carl "Stevie" Nicks.

KYPack
02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I like the idea of signing some of the Packers' own; but I also like the idea of having a guard named Carl "Stevie" Nicks.

Nicks is famous (infamous?) for a live radio interview he gave after the Saints won the SuperBowl. Nicks blurted out "I'm going to motherfucking Disneyland"!

I like a guy who will say something that wacky.

pbmax
02-20-2011, 11:26 AM
For simple nostalgia, I would like to trade for Stephen Jackson and his endzone celebration:

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/stevenjacksonprobowl.jpg?w=181

Smeefers
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
If the heavens part and we have a legit chance to grab Aso, then by Nitschke, do it! You never pass on a dominate CB. Never ever ever ever. They make all the difference in the game. They instantly upgrade a defense. If we had Aso, we force teams to run. Do you know how absolutely crazy that sounds? We could have four pro bowl caliber defenders in our backfield.

You don't pass on that guy to pick up a tackle. A dominant proven CB? There's only one position I'd take over that, and that's QB and we're set there.

Lurker64
02-20-2011, 08:38 PM
If the heavens part and we have a legit chance to grab Aso, then by Nitschke, do it! You never pass on a dominate CB. Never ever ever ever. They make all the difference in the game. They instantly upgrade a defense. If we had Aso, we force teams to run. Do you know how absolutely crazy that sounds? We could have four pro bowl caliber defenders in our backfield.

You don't pass on that guy to pick up a tackle. A dominant proven CB? There's only one position I'd take over that, and that's QB and we're set there.

So giving Nate Clements a record contract is in large part responsible for the Niners recent success?

Joemailman
02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
TT's record with CB's is interesting. He hit gold when he offered Woodson the big money. He hit gold with UDFA's Williams and Shields. He hit useless swampland when drafting Lee and Underwood.

ThunderDan
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I agree with you that Woodson is nearing the end, but the routine play bit doesn't hold water. Shields was hurt on the routine play just before, and Sanders was hurt on a routine play for the Steelers earlier. Those two aren't exactly wizened veterans. As a Packer fan, you should know that injuries happen all the time, and don't necessarily show preference for aged veterans!

My position is that if the Packers can leverage Assomugga's desire to play for a winner into a non-crippling contract, they should do it. I'm certain Capers can find a way to get Woodson, Collins, Assomooga, Shields, and Williams on the field at the same time. As I mentioned before, this lineup would have a real chance at being able to effectively shut down an oppositions' passing game. What a weapon.

With that five you could have one deep safety (Collins) let the other 4 cover and blitz 5 or 6 guys on every passing down. I like the sound of that!

packerbacker1234
02-21-2011, 03:10 AM
You also have to remember in all of this that Collins and Woodson are great in run tacklers themselves - so even if we have all 5 on the field at once with another saftey (so 6 db's, 2 or 3 DL, 2 or 3 LB) we're not "screwed" if they try to run against it. Not sure what big A's tendencies are in the run game, but we have some DB's already that are pretty good there.

Little Whiskey
02-21-2011, 07:27 AM
i'm not sure it matters how good of a tackler you are if you can't get to the ball. woodson or collins against a Lineman will be a battle they won't win.

channtheman
02-21-2011, 08:21 AM
I'd like for us to take a serious look at the Bob Sanders. Similarly to Woodson, he has been injured a lot in the last few season (yes more serious and he has missed a lot more time than Woodson) but I still wouldn't mind us getting him for fairly cheap if we could.

Joemailman
02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Sanders has played 9 games in the last 3 years. I don't think he's really what the Packers are looking for in a Safety. He's a run stuffer who gets hurt because his body can't handle his physical style of play. The Packers moved up in the draft last year to draft Burnett for a reason. They want a guy with cover skills so they have more flexibility on how they use Nick Collins.

bobblehead
02-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I hope people aren't underestimating chemistry. The viking made a mistake not resigning Chestor Taylor and it hurt them. We need to resign Jenkins and BJack. Pretty much as many of our own as we can for reasonable prices.

Joemailman
02-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I think they'll sign BJack, assuming he wants to come back. Jenkins will be tough to keep though. His ability to play equally well in a 4-3 or 3-4 means he'll draw a lot of interest. Demand drives up the price.

rbaloha1
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
A cap friendly Asomougha would be nice. Morph Woodson into Polomalu to create a dominant secondary/defense.

Agree that either Lee or Underwood probably get cut if Asomougha is somehow signed.

bobblehead
02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
A cap friendly Asomougha would be nice. Morph Woodson into Polomalu to create a dominant secondary/defense.

Agree that either Lee or Underwood probably get cut if Asomougha is somehow signed.

I have given up on both. JBush is actually playing defense ahead of both of them and that speaks volumes of their cover abilities....and its not just ST, Lee is active and can't beat Bush out for the dimeback.

MJZiggy
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I think they'll sign BJack, assuming he wants to come back. Jenkins will be tough to keep though. His ability to play equally well in a 4-3 or 3-4 means he'll draw a lot of interest. Demand drives up the price.
There's no demand without a CBA...

VermontPackFan
02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Cullen Jenkins

Agree...and after him, Mason Crosby.