PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the Needs of the Champs

vince
02-20-2011, 04:09 PM
When you look at the team that just won the Super Bowl, there are some spots that you'd like to see improved.

Tight End - Wouldn't it be nice if the Packers would sign one of the top 2 or 3 TE's in the league? Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

RB - Wouldn't it be nice if the Packers could bring in a guy that is tailor-made for the Packers ZBS to complement Starks? Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

D-Line - Wouldn't it be nice if the Packers could add a stout, extremely strong d-lineman who is athletic enough to bring a pass rush from the inside - just in case the older, injury-prone guy they have that fits that description leaves? Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

D-Line - Wouldn't it be nice to add another proven player who has shown the ability to make plays, stuff the run, collapse the pocket and knock down a lot of passes? After all, you can never have too many big guys who can play. Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

OLB - Wouldn't it be nice to add a versatile player who has proven to be able to get to the QB with some success, is fast from sideline to sideline and can cover when necessary? Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

Safety - Wouldn't it be nice to add a young ball-hawking safety to complement Collins? Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

ILB - Wouldn't it be nice to add a guy who can enhance the pass defense from the ILB position to complement the stout and active starting core? Oh wait, they'll already be adding that guy this offseason.

Sprinkle in a few yet-to-be-determined draft picks that will undoubtedly contribute, that looks like one hell of an offseason for the reigning Super Bowl champs.

Nice job Ted. You're having one hell of an offseason.

Lurker64
02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Wait, in your two D-Line mentions, are you counting Harrell? Since, it's really a longshot that he's with the team next year. He might as well retire now that he's got his ring ;)

Little Whiskey
02-20-2011, 06:07 PM
jolly?

vince
02-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Jolly

Bossman641
02-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Jolly and Neal.

Neal is DL #1, Jolly is DL #2.

Lurker64
02-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Jolly

Ah, I didn't know enough about his circumstances to be able to speculate on whether he'll be reinstated or not. Are they pretty good odds?

Patler
02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Yup, TT doesn't really have holes to fill, just areas he would like to improve if possible, but no real holes. Everyone points to OLB as a "need" and sure it would be great to find another Clay Mathews to play there. But Jones, Zombo, Poppinga and Waldon had 16 starts between them, 104 tackles, 8 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. Not horrible by any means.

TT really can take the best players available, not really needing them for anything but depth.

Sure hope the best player available is a kick/punt returner!

Little Whiskey
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
a hole could be seen on the o-line.

wist43
02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Neal and Jolly solidify the DL...

We need a lot of help at LB... we got by with Zombo, Walden, Hawk, and Chillar - but that is a pretty pedestrian group. Walden is okay I guess; Chillar fills a niche, but all and all Capers got by at LB with smoke and mirrors.

Of course we need more depth at CB... they kept Bush and Lee around for special teams, but neither player is a viable option from scrimmage. If they're in the lineup, you just hope we can keep pace with the scoring.

We're fine at TE and QB; can always use OL and WR's... definitely need help at RB (smoke and mirrors by McCarthy - awesome job BTW). Maybe Starks can stay healthy, but I'm not betting on it. I like Grant; Jackson is JAG (no revelation there).

Lurker64
02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Yeah, we have questions at LG and one tackle spot going forward. Probably not immediate needs that would keep you from going BPA though. For all we know, Lang is the RT of the future and McDonald or somebody will be a fine LG next year.

Patler
02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Every team always has spots that could stand to be improved. To me a hole is when you don't have a competent player to play there. OLB is definitely a weakness, but still the starters there in 2010 accumulated 100+ tackles and 8 sacks. It could have been a lot worse.

OL does have one potential hole, since the incumbent starter at LG will likely be a free agent. But that is about it.

Depth is always an issue. When your biggest need is to maybe replace your worst O lineman, and you have promising candidates on your roster already, you are in petty good shape.

Everyone is always looking for better #4 and #5 corners. Heck, most are looking for a better #3 and many want a better second CB.

pbmax
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Who was the a-hole on the Offensive Line? :)

Tony Oday
02-20-2011, 07:18 PM
We need a returner and a Kicker.

vince
02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm with Patler on drafting players not needs, but an o-lineman or 2 plus a WR, CB, OLB, returner would be nice...

Devine would be sweet as a returner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Vs_FLVF3E

Lurker64
02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm with Patler on drafting players not needs, but an o-lineman or 2 plus a WR, CB, OLB, returner would be nice...

Devine would be sweet as a returner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Vs_FLVF3E

I worry about Devine... he's TINY (5'7" 160 lbs).

My pick for a returner would be Randall Cobb (WR/RB/CatQB/KR/PR, Kentucky)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09R28AWgFU

Little Whiskey
02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Who was the a-hole on the Offensive Line? :)

nice pick up max!

vince
02-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah Lurk there's that. McCluster's done well in KC. He's listed 5'8" 180 on ESPN but we all know how that works. Devine's been healthy at WV playing RB every down averaging 20 carries a game for the last 3 years. He can fly and turn on a dime with the best of 'em.

I'd take Cobb too...

mission
02-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah Lurk there's that. McCluster's done well in KC. He's listed 5'8" 180 on ESPN but we all know how that works. Devine's been healthy at WV playing RB every down averaging 20 carries a game for the last 3 years. He can fly and turn on a dime with the best of 'em.

I'd take Cobb too...

That play around 1:50 or whatever is crazy. Haven't got to really see him play but I'd love the pick in the mid rounds.

pacfan
02-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Not by Brandon Jackson apparently.

Farley Face
02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Yup, TT doesn't really have holes to fill, just areas he would like to improve if possible, but no real holes. Everyone points to OLB as a "need" and sure it would be great to find another Clay Mathews to play there. But Jones, Zombo, Poppinga and Waldon had 16 starts between them, 104 tackles, 8 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. Not horrible by any means.

TT really can take the best players available, not really needing them for anything but depth.

Sure hope the best player available is a kick/punt returner!

Patler,

Are those combined tackle stats (104) just from the line of scrimmage as OLBs or do they include special teams?

Thanks,

FF

Bossman641
02-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Devine has me worried as to whether he is a "Packer person." Didn't he already have 2-3 kids by multiple women by the end of his freshmen year?

RashanGary
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Tier 1
OT
OLB
CB

Tier 2
OG
RB
WR
S
QB

Tier 3
DL

Tier 4
TE

Joemailman
02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Tier 1
OT
OLB
CB

Tier 2
OG
RB
WR
S
QB

Tier 3
DL

Tier 4
TE

Pretty much agree. However, if they bring Peprah back, and don't bring Jenkins or Jolly back, DL goes above S.

Gotta be driving GM's crazy. They don't know if there will be a free agency period before the draft. If not, whether that affects how teams draft will be interesting. I don't think it will affect TT much, but teams with real pressing needs at certain positions may have to draft to cover needs more than they otherwise would.

Tarlam!
02-21-2011, 01:42 AM

I don't care how sober one is, that's BOMNF!!!!

Tarlam!
02-21-2011, 01:43 AM

I don't care how sober one is, that's BOMNF!!!!

wist43
02-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Devine has me worried as to whether he is a "Packer person." Didn't he already have 2-3 kids by multiple women by the end of his freshmen year?

Yes, I think he had 3 kids by 4 different women :)

vince
02-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Oooh. That's not good. He's the most electric guy I've seen coming out of the draft. Too bad he's fast on the street too. Ted will take risks on guys but only if they drop way down, which probably won't happen.

Wait, 3 kids by 4 women? He IS good!

Joemailman
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Devine might be a real liability when it comes to blitz pickups though. He doesn't seem to understand protection schemes.

swede
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Yes, I think he had 3 kids by 4 different women :)

http://www.pxleyes.com/images/contests/freak%20show/fullsize/freak%20show_4a81992ec2ddc.jpg

Fritz
02-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Bossman, the Packers want productive players. That guy sounds like "Packer People" to me - he seems to be productive!

vince
02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Devine might be a real liability when it comes to blitz pickups though. He doesn't seem to understand protection schemes.
Screw protection. We need a returner who can shoot it up the hole hard and fast. Devine's our man.

Fritz
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
"shoot it up the hole hard and fast."

Gettin' a little naughty there, Vince.

hawaii50
02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
I worry about Devine... he's TINY (5'7" 160 lbs).

My pick for a returner would be Randall Cobb (WR/RB/CatQB/KR/PR, Kentucky)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i09R28AWgFU

Cobb looks great in those highlights. Haven't seen him at all during the season so I don't know what his knocks are, but from watching his highlights he looks like he has some skills that could benefit us. The things I liked about the highlights are that it wasn't all just deep passes (in fact I don't think there were any highlights of deep catches) and he had a lot of catches over the middle of the field from the slot. If we can add a wes welker like guy with good return skills and speed to stretch the field that would be HUGE.

vince
02-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Gettin' a little naughty there, Vince.
Football can be a tough sport. You have to score early and often, but I'm sure a guy with a name like Noel Devine does it with the utmost care and tenderness at the same time.

RashanGary
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I liked that Randall Cobb clip. Hard to tell what kind of vision he has. I came away feeling better about him as a WR than a KR/PR. Not saying he can't be a really good KR/PR but we didn't see enough to know if he really has vision.

He looked good adjusting to poorly thrown balls, catching well thrown passes and running and for his size he looked good taking contact. My impression watching that, he should be able to play in the NFL.

vince
02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Devine has two kids, but he's had some serious challenges to overcome as a child. Both his parents died of AIDS when he was a kid. He bounced around, growing up mostly on his own.

He hasn't always made good choices, but I don't think Ted would characterize this guy as a bad kid. The size is obviously a concern, but I'd love to see this guy drop to where TT feels good about grabbing him. He's athletic, agile, and extremely strong for his size. From Wikipedia:

Entering his junior season, Devine was coveted for his summer workout results: a power clean of 300 pounds, a 500-pound squat, a bench of 435 lbs., a 38-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot-7 inch broad jump, and a 4.04-second pro agility drill time.

Here's an older article that gives some insight into his background and character.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2009-10-07/devine-speaks-wva-coach-gives-him-ball#ixzz1EePt1tyA

Devine speaks, W.Va. coach gives him the ball
PUBLISHED Wednesday, Oct 7, 2009 at 7:35 pm EDT
Sporting News

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia coach Bill Stewart was hopping mad about four first-half fumbles against Colorado and was going to let his players hear about it in the lockerroom.

Running back Noel Devine quickly stepped in with a proposal.

"'Coach, give me the rock,"' Stewart recalled Devine saying. "'Give me the ball. Just keep it calm. Everyone knows we're goofing up."'

Stewart didn't take much time to think about it. The offense was sloppy, except for Devine, who already had 142 yards rushing on just eight carries by halftime. Besides, none of the fumbles were his.

"I said, 'OK, big fella. I'm going to put the ball in your hands when the time's right,"' Stewart said.

Devine got 14 more carries and finished with a career-high 220 yards in the 35-24 win.

More than just the yards, that moment of coming forward left an imprint with Stewart, another example of how Devine has become a leader this season for the Mountaineers.

"That is something a coach cannot manufacturer," Stewart said. "It has to come from within. And I'm glad he's doing it."

Just two years ago, Devine was a second-string freshman whose life already was filled with personal setbacks and changes. He lost his parents to AIDS, witnessed a friend's murder, rejected Deion Sanders' attempts to adopt him and became a father of two before his career at North Fort Myers (Fla.) High turned him into an Internet sensation.

Things have fallen into place nicely since.

Steve Slaton left West Virginia a year early for the NFL after the 2007 season and Devine responded with 1,289 rushing yards a year ago.

Pat White, the top rushing quarterback in college football history, used up his eligibility in 2008. Now Devine is the focal point of the running game. He's the nation's third-leading rusher at 135 yards per game and has scored a career-high six touchdowns.

Devine will get a chance to add to those numbers Saturday when West Virginia (3-1) plays at Syracuse (2-3). He had 188 yards against the Orange last year, including a 92-yard TD run with 4:16 left that sealed a 17-6 win.

"I'd rather my play do the talking than be a vocal leader, but when I need to speak up, I'm going to speak up," Devine said.

It wouldn't have been his role to do that a year ago, but Devine didn't hesitate to get Stewart's attention at halftime against Colorado.

"I was just trying to make something happen for our team the best way I can," Devine said. "It just came naturally, just me being a natural leader. It was just me being myself and speaking when I have to speak."

Devine is the latest in a tradition of undersized backs at West Virginia, although defenders looking to stop the 5-foot-8, 175-pound junior often get plowed under.

Where Devine once was ridiculed for improvising on his runs, he now relies on patience and improved strength - he can benchpress 435 pounds.

His desire is a carryover from practice, where Stewart said Devine wins every team sprint while pushing others to improve, and races screaming to the end zone when he has the ball on individual drills.

"And everyone looks around says 'wow, this guy's on a mission,"' Stewart said. "I'm just the fortunate one that happens to be his head football coach. I don't have to say a word to him."

Of course, Devine's progress doesn't surprise his high school coach, James Iandoli, who last talked to Devine at the start of the season.

"I tell you what, the maturation is just like it was in high school," Iandoli said. "You knew you had this talent, and coming into his junior and senior year in high school, he was so impressive. And you're seeing it again at the college level. It's showing now."