PDA

View Full Version : Lovie extended

SkinBasket
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Whooptie-do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6157599

pbmax
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I would have preferred Childress get extended, but this is OK too. Hopeful, former Head Coach University has some trouble picking a direction this offseason too.

I am a bit surprised at the money (its similar to McCarthy minus a SB win) but not the short term. Given the Bears (lack of) success with HCs and QBs, Lovie is not a bad fit.

Kiwon
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Lovie Extended

Whooptie-do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6157599

http://www.extenzeforlife.com/images/thrilled.jpg

Fritz
02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
As a Packer fan, I'm glad that Jerry Angelo's in Chicago leading the way.

channtheman
02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Since I don't think Lovie will ever win a Super Bowl with Chicago, this is great news.

Bossman641
02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Fantastic news. For a while it looked like the only good thing that was gonna come from this past season was Lovie getting an extension. Instead, we win the SB AND Lovie gets an extension. Hell ya.

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Well, the guy got them to the Super Bowl a few years back and to the NFC Championship this year. And he was right to try his damndest to beat the Packers in Week 17, when most people thought he had no reason to. He's not as bad a coach as I would like him to be.

King Friday
02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Great news? How so? Lovie's Bears have played the Packers very tough during his tenure...a sharp departure from the decade plus before Lovie arrived. Yeah, he's probably not an elite HC...but I don't see him as being all that different from McCarthy really. McCarthy simply has the advantage of a better GM and Aaron Rodgers.

Joemailman
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v3Up1d5oL._SS500_.jpg

Fritz
02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Like I said, hooray for Jerry Angelo. As long as he's drafting for the Bears, Lovie should be sufficiently handcuffed.

channtheman
02-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, the guy got them to the Super Bowl a few years back and to the NFC Championship this year. And he was right to try his damndest to beat the Packers in Week 17, when most people thought he had no reason to. He's not as bad a coach as I would like him to be.

Yup, so far he's proven that he can lose a Super Bowl and lose an NFC Championship game.

Iron Mike
02-26-2011, 02:59 AM
http://www.kalynjohnson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/mrs-howell.jpeg

Tarlam!
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM

Great news? How so? Lovie's Bears have played the Packers very tough during his tenure...a sharp departure from the decade plus before Lovie arrived. Yeah, he's probably not an elite HC...but I don't see him as being all that different from McCarthy really. McCarthy simply has the advantage of a better GM and Aaron Rodgers.

These.

Lovie hates the Packers. If the Bears go 2-14 and both wins are against the Packers, it's considered a monumental season for the FIBs.

vince
02-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I too think Lovie is underrated as a coach. His teams seem to regularly overachieve and they're very good at forcing turnovers and keeping teams out of the endzone.

Sometimes it seems like people equate personality with coaching acumen.

Like Fritz is saying, Angelo is the dufus in Chicago. The Bears have a dearth of young talent across the board because they can't draft. They need to extend him too.

Patler
02-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Not much of a show of faith, only a two-year extension with one year left on his existing contract. He gets them to the NFC Championship in a year when not much was expected, and they are willing to commit to him for only three years, total? If I were him, I would be looking over my shoulder next year, because eating a year or two of an HC's contract is nothing.

pbmax
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Not much of a show of faith, only a two-year extension with one year left on his existing contract. He gets them to the NFC Championship in a year when not much was expected, and they are willing to commit to him for only three years, total? If I were him, I would be looking over my shoulder next year, because eating a year or two of an HC's contract is nothing.

He did foul up their plans to jettison him after this past season, if reports are to be believed. I am not sure about the Bears revenue picture, but I remember multiple reports that the Bears are averse to spending a lot of money on released coaches. So I think Lovie has two years here, effectively.

Pugger
02-27-2011, 12:32 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v3Up1d5oL._SS500_.jpg

What is this contraption?

Pugger
02-27-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.kalynjohnson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/mrs-howell.jpeg

LOL!!!!

RashanGary
02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I too think Lovie is underrated as a coach. His teams seem to regularly overachieve and they're very good at forcing turnovers and keeping teams out of the endzone.

Sometimes it seems like people equate personality with coaching acumen.

Like Fritz is saying, Angelo is the dufus in Chicago. The Bears have a dearth of young talent across the board because they can't draft. They need to extend him too.

I'll third this sentiment. I think Lovie Smith is one of the top coaches in the league. I'd put him on MM's level. We have far more talent than them right now.

I wonder if the Bears have a meddling owner, Angelo sucks, a combination of the two or something else. Whatever it is, they do not draft well. It's killing Lovie.

Joemailman
02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Packers are 6-8 against the Bears since Lovie Smith became the Bears coach, and 56-42 against everyone else. The only year they swept the Bears was 2009 when Urlacher was out with an injury and Cutler was terrible. Even then, both games were extremely close. Why Packer fans would be glad he'll be around the next few years is beyond me.

Patler
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Packers are 6-8 against the Bears since Lovie Smith became the Bears coach, and 56-42 against everyone else. The only year they swept the Bears was 2009 when Urlacher was out with an injury and Cutler was terrible. Even then, both games were extremely close. Why Packer fans would be glad he'll be around the next few years is beyond me.

True, but they are 5-5 under MM against the Bears. The difference has been Hester and the Bear's ST's against the Packer's ST's. I don't otherwise worry that much about a Lovie Smith lead team.

Joemailman
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
It's more than special teams. Lovie knows how to gameplan against the Packers offense. Packers have averaged just 17 PPG against Lovie's teams.

packerbacker1234
02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Lovie isn't a great coach, but he's a good fit in Chicago. SB apperance and to the championship game this past season. You can say what you want, but before lovie it had been awhile that the bears were even close to being that relevant.

Patler
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
It's more than special teams. Lovie knows how to gameplan against the Packers offense. Packers have averaged just 17 PPG against Lovie's teams.

A lot goes into that, including MM being shutout in his first regular season game against the Bears. Under MM one Chicago game has been mid-December or later every year. Chicago is good defensively, so low scores are not unexpected.

The last 3 years MM is 4-2 against the Bears and averages 20.5 points/game.

I'm content with Lovie Smith coaching the Bears.

RashanGary
02-28-2011, 06:56 AM
A lot goes into that, including MM being shutout in his first regular season game against the Bears. Under MM one Chicago game has been mid-December or later every year. Chicago is good defensively, so low scores are not unexpected.

The last 3 years MM is 4-2 against the Bears and averages 20.5 points/game.

I'm content with Lovie Smith coaching the Bears.

It might be for different reasons than you think. You say Lovie isn't a great coach so the Bears are beatable. I say maybe Love is a great coach but their GM/Owner stink. Nobody knows which is right. With the way they've drafted the last 6 or 7 years, I think it's more about the Bears talent evaluators than coaches.

pbmax
02-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't know about it being an Angelo only problem. Outside of Rex Grossman and now Mike Martz, Lovie's offenses have been pretty mundane.

They had Kyle Orton, who performed near Pro Bowl status for two years now in Denver with the Coach Prodigy. He is more than enough QB to make their offense go, but the Bears couldn't do much with him. I would say Lovie has not found his "Dom Capers" yet. And that is on him.

Cheesehead Craig
02-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Happy Lovie is still in Chicago. Put me in the camp that thinks he's not that special. To me he's a DC who's in over his head as a HC, but his D and ST are so good that he stays around. His offense has been below average in his tenure and given the frequency of his players voicing their unhappiness with each other shows he doesn't have full control of his team.

RashanGary
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't know about it being an Angelo only problem. Outside of Rex Grossman and now Mike Martz, Lovie's offenses have been pretty mundane.

They had Kyle Orton, who performed near Pro Bowl status for two years now in Denver with the Coach Prodigy. He is more than enough QB to make their offense go, but the Bears couldn't do much with him. I would say Lovie has not found his "Dom Capers" yet. And that is on him.

Nice. I'll adopt part of this. I like how his teams come ready to play. I like how his defenses dominate. I love how his ST's units play. It's on him that he hasn't found a great OC. I do think Angelo is a problem there though. Knox is a straight line guy, not a real WR. Hester isn't really a WR either. Their OL is blah. Good RB but nothing special and all those picks for Cutler is ridiculous. The offensive talent is just blah.

MadScientist
02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Lovie has done a pretty decent job given the talent the Bears have. At the beginning of the season many of us here were projecting the Bears to fight it out with Detroit for the bottom of the division. Even factoring in the luck they got this year, the Bears were a good team. If he can make it to the SB with Rex freaking Grossman, he can't be that bad of a coach. He earned the extension, unlike Chilly last year who got it for capturing lightning in a bottle, and this year got zapped by it instead.

Fritz
02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Wonder if Chilly will resurface as an OC somewhere?

get louder at lambeau
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Hattiesburg High School might take him.

pbmax
02-28-2011, 12:29 PM

He has interviewed but no one has bitten. Hard to say if its fit or price. He is owed money by the Vikings, working or not.

As a former HC, only a very comfortable, veteran head coach (or an extremely desperate one) is going to take on a person who is qualified to replace you. Especially if Childress wants to be a HC again. And there is the fact that he might be a short termer.

But for him not to be in the league seems counter productive. He can run an offense well enough.

Joemailman
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
He has interviewed but no one has bitten. Hard to say if its fit or price. He is owed money by the Vikings, working or not.

As a former HC, only a very comfortable, veteran head coach (or an extremely desperate one) is going to take on a person who is qualified to replace you. Especially if Childress wants to be a HC again. And there is the fact that he might be a short termer.

But for him not to be in the league seems counter productive. He can run an offense well enough.

I think the way Chilly let Favre yank him around destroyed any chance he has of being a HC again. Too much credibility lost. I agree he'll end up as an OC somewhere.

get louder at lambeau
02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I think the way Chilly let Favre yank him around destroyed any chance he has of being a HC again. Too much credibility lost. I agree he'll end up as an OC somewhere.

Not to mention the Moss debacle. Childress looked just plain unstable towards the end.

swede
02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Not to mention the Moss debacle. Childress looked just plain unstable towards the end.

Maybe gray tweed skirts, an argyle cardigan and pearls will help him appear more stable.

vince
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
What'dya mean he looked unstable?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/27ee9ca56e8f236d9ac5d7ecbcb9faab_bradchildressflig htattendantpics.jpg

Joemailman
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
A bit off topic, but Bears have released Tommie Harris.

swede
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Didn't he use to be Tommie Harris?

Fritz
02-28-2011, 04:13 PM

He's qualified to replace a head coach??

pbmax
02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
He's qualified to replace a head coach??

I didn't say he was a wise choice. But an owner backed into a corner hoping to save face and keep selling tickets can do some awfully strange things.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/01/04/gal_jets-coaches-6.jpg