PDA

View Full Version : more viking trouble...

gbgary
02-27-2011, 08:18 PM
per adam shefter via twitter...sidney rice won't resign before checking out free agency. hehe.

Joemailman
02-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Isn't that the case with most players and teams? Not a ton of guys getting signed right now.

get louder at lambeau
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Rice would be smart to leave now. He's not likely to have much production without a QB.

pbmax
02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Isn't that the case with most players and teams? Not a ton of guys getting signed right now.

Depends. Some are signing if they fall into the netherworld of RFA/FA rules that changed at the beginning of this current league year. Lots of Franchise tenders signed early too for the same reason.

The odd thing about Rice is that he got a long term contract offer. That is the one thing that is not happening across the league. Depending on Rice's years in the league, he may feel like he will definitely get a shot at FA this year. Sometime.

Bretsky
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
IMO this is good news; James Jones could be looking for money out there via free agency this year as well so I'm hoping he's not the most sought after one.

We have a lot of guys that will be looking to get paid; the longer the holdout the better IMO the chances of them returning..even if it is on a one yr deal.

Lurker64
02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
IMO this is good news; James Jones could be looking for money out there via free agency this year as well so I'm hoping he's not the most sought after one.

We have a lot of guys that will be looking to get paid; the longer the holdout the better IMO the chances of them returning..even if it is on a one yr deal.

I think in the pecking order for FA WRs, it goes something like: Santonio Holmes, Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards, Eric Weems, Steve Smith (NYG), Malcom Floyd, Brad Smith, Lance Moore, James Jones.

Jones wouldn't be the top FA WR even if Rice resigned with the Vikings.

Fritz
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
You forgot Randy Moss!

Lurker64
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
You forgot Randy Moss!

No, guys like Moss and T.O. are less valuable as free agents than anybody I mentioned. Moss (Randy, not Santana although Santana is also a free agent) would be like the #20 FA WR this year.

gbpackfan
02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
If I were Rice, I wouldnt sign with the Vikings. They are a franchise that put everything on the line to win it in 2009 or 2010. They failed. They will now have to rebuild for at least 3 years. Good luck.

gbgary
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
he should run, not walk, away from the vikings.

per jason laconfora...One other note with Sidney Rice - if the NFLPA decertifies, he could end up being restricted free agent with 4 accrued seasons.

Lurker64
02-27-2011, 10:20 PM
he should run, not walk, away from the vikings.

per jason laconfora...One other note with Sidney Rice - if the NFLPA decertifies, he could end up being restricted free agent with 4 accrued seasons.

It would be even better if he ends up hating the Vikings because he was tendered as an RFA and forced to play there.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I think in the pecking order for FA WRs, it goes something like: Santonio Holmes, Sidney Rice, Braylon Edwards, Eric Weems, Steve Smith (NYG), Malcom Floyd, Brad Smith, Lance Moore, James Jones.

I'm guessing you are underestimating the interest in Jones. I can see Holmes and Rice being the top two guys. If healthy, Steve Smith will draw interest. I'm guessing Jones gets more money than Weems, Floyd, Smith, and Moore. I think it's very possible that he gets more money than Edwards. Not only is Edwards a prima donna, he hasn't really been very productive. Six years in the league, and he's only had one season with more than 61 receptions and one season with more than 904 yards.

Guiness
02-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Maybe I need something explained wrt how signing a contract at this time would work to convince me Rice (and others turning down contracts) are not idiots?

If a player were to sign a deal now, he would stand to get a signing bonus...which would be paid immediately. If he doesn't sign, and becomes a free agent but there's no CBA, he gets nothing...and has to weather the lockout on what he's already got in the bank, right? Wouldn't it make sense to take the signing bonus now, and have a nest egg?

pbmax
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Maybe I need something explained wrt how signing a contract at this time would work to convince me Rice (and others turning down contracts) are not idiots?

If a player were to sign a deal now, he would stand to get a signing bonus...which would be paid immediately. If he doesn't sign, and becomes a free agent but there's no CBA, he gets nothing...and has to weather the lockout on what he's already got in the bank, right? Wouldn't it make sense to take the signing bonus now, and have a nest egg?

The signing bonuses being offered at the current time have been pretty limited. Champ Bailey got $11 million guaranteed but no signing bonus. Given Rice's age, he might be offered something, but not a windfall.

Fritz
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Ize just kidding about Moss.

Cheesehead Craig
02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Ize just kidding about Moss.

No you weren't! You looooove Moss.

Fritz and Randy sittin' in a tree...

Fritz
02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm telling Mom!!!!

3irty1
03-01-2011, 10:45 AM

You gotta be high to think Brad Smith will draw more interest than James Jones. Jones should get a contact somewhere between Edwards and Floyd.

Smeefers
03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Agreed. You're under-valueing Jones. He's a #2 on a lot of teams in the league. Not even the bottom half of the league. He'd most likely break into a lot of starting line ups. He had 50 rec's and 650 yards being our #3 reciever. If he was on the field more, he'd be poised to be a 1000 yard reciever on a regular basis.

get louder at lambeau
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Agreed. You're under-valueing Jones. He's a #2 on a lot of teams in the league. Not even the bottom half of the league. He'd most likely break into a lot of starting line ups. He had 50 rec's and 650 yards being our #3 reciever. If he was on the field more, he'd be poised to be a 1000 yard reciever on a regular basis.

Yep. There are PLENTY of starting WRs in the league who drop some big passes. Jones is #2 quality, IMO.