PDA

View Full Version : Jets make big cuts

Brando19
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Gholston would be worth taking a look at. I believe Kevin Greene could make this kid into something.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/jets-cutting-jenkins-gholston-woody-taylor/

The New York Jets are saying goodbye to several well-known veterans.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets will release defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, outside linebacker Vernon Gholston, offensive lineman Damien Woody and defensive end Jason Taylor.

The goodbye might not be forever, however, as the team would consider signing some or possibly all of the players, if they’re willing to take reduced salaries.

Jenkins has said he’s working hard to get ready to play in 2011. Gholston was a major disappointment as the sixth pick in the 2008 NFL draft, but he’s only 24 and will surely get a shot to make it in the league somewhere this year. Woody had a good year but is recovering from knee and Achilles tendon injuries. Taylor is expected to retire.

Lurker64
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Gholston is not worth taking a look at. He's simply not a 3-4 outside linebacker, nor, as we saw this year, is he a five-tech defensive end. He's tentative and he shies away from contact. Kid should just retire.

Brando19
02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Gholston is not worth taking a look at. He's simply not a 3-4 outside linebacker, nor, as we saw this year, is he a five-tech defensive end. He's tentative and he shies away from contact. Kid should just retire.

So you don't think he could be coached into a 3-4 outside linebacker? He was so talented in college and he's still so young.

Joemailman
02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
So you don't think he could be coached into a 3-4 outside linebacker? He was so talented in college and he's still so young.

Rex Ryan is as good a defensive coach as there is. I'm sure he's received quality coaching, and has nothing to show for it. Some guys are just busts.

Lurker64
02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

That's the position the Jets drafted him to play, and the position he failed so completely at being able to play the Jets moved him to 5-tech and then cut him.

If anybody takes a chance on him, it's a 4-3 team who will ask him to play DE.

rbaloha1
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Taylor would be interesting at the NFL veteran minimum with incentives.

Guiness
02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Anyone watch enough of the Jets to know what's wrong with Gholston?

He was very highly rated coming out of college, tied the bench press record, and I remember the talking heads saying he was one of the only guys to beat Jake Long for a sack.

Agreed though, that if Rex couldn't make him a player, there's likely not a lot there.

pbmax
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Could be a tough year to be a Jenkins. Though Cullen should be OK after it all plays out.

Lurker64
02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
He was very highly rated coming out of college, tied the bench press record, and I remember the talking heads saying he was one of the only guys to beat Jake Long for a sack.

In space, he's indecisive and doesn't seem to have a handle on what his responsibilities are, and he plays stiff and upright so he gets caught up in the garbage. When rushing the passer, he shies away from contact. All he does is try to run around people. You know how Clay Matthews sometimes starts a blitz by slamming into the RT, which sets up a counter move? Gholston never imagined doing anything like that.

I just don't think he likes football that much.

prime311
03-01-2011, 09:58 AM
JT is retiring as far as I've heard. Not sure he offers anything more then Brad Jones or Frank Zombo at this point anyway. Someone will pickup Gholston. He's too young and athletic to be completely ignored.

Little Whiskey
03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Taylor would be interesting at the NFL veteran minimum with incentives.

Hardy Nickerson?

Fritz
03-01-2011, 09:29 PM

I disagree completely. Why should the kid retire, if another NFL team is dumb enough to think they can coach him up (when Rex Ryan couldn't, at two different positions) and is willing to pay him say $400,000 a year? He can't make that kind of dough doing anything else. Why retire? He can go through training camp, maybe sit on the bench most of the season. And if he gets cut, he'd still get a few paychecks, right?

Why retire when that's what awaits him? Get as much as you can before the charade is completely exposed.

VermontPackFan
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone watch enough of the Jets to know what's wrong with Gholston?

Agreed though, that if Rex couldn't make him a player, there's likely not a lot there.

I dont recall if he was touted as a first or second round pick draft pick until the combine. After that he skyrocketed and the Jets mistakenly made him the 6th overall pick that year. Makes me happy with Hawk's production as the 5th overall pick 2yrs? earlier.