PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy: Backup QB Flynn is not available

CaptainD
03-02-2011, 05:54 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41852048/ns/sports-player_news/

Packers coach Mike McCarthy indicated that the team is not willing to part with Matt Flynn this offseason.

GM Ted Thompson said similar things recently. "I'm not letting him go," promised McCarthy. "I think the value of that No. 2 quarterback position went way up." Green Bay will be reluctant to part with Flynn after Aaron Rodgers suffered at least two concussions last year. Rumors had Rodgers even suffering a third on a Julius Peppers hit in the NFC Championship Game.

Are the packers just trying to drive the price up or are they happy going status quo ?

Smeefers
03-02-2011, 07:13 AM
If the season goes to 18 games, there's no way we get rid of him. In fact, he'd most likely start seeing significant playing time. I'm willing to bet that's the reason MM doesn't want to drop the budding backup.

RashanGary
03-02-2011, 07:26 AM
If you ranked Flynn's Patriot game in an order with the best games played by a Packer QB in 2010, it's in the top half. He played a great game. He doesn't have the tools to be the best QB in the league, but he has the grit, savvy, toughness and know how to win a SB with the right team and win some regular season games with our team if need be. I think Flynn is still very underrated in GB and will be a starter else where and win a lot of games.

mraynrand
03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Rodgers is one more head shot away from retirement. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thompson drafted a QB above the 4th round.

KYPack
03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Rodgers is one more head shot away from retirement. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thompson drafted a QB above the 4th round.

Dern, MRD, enuff of that reality shit.

You are killing my SB buzz.

packerbacker1234
03-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Rodgers now has to worry about serious issues with concussions. It's very possible he did get a third concussion on the peppers hit, even if it was a much more minor one than the two previous due to the helmet technology. The season may now be 18 games, and we have a QB who at a moments notice could get a concussion and leave the game, or have to even miss a week. Flynn proved himself to be a very capable backup QB. Most the time when you lose a QB of Rodgers caliber there is no chance in hell you can win a football game. Well, Flynn proved it against the best eam in the NFL at the time that hey, he's not half bad himself. He's a pure gamer if there ever was one. Doesn't have all the physical tools of Rodgers, but he makes good decisions with the football and lets his palyers make plays. If he had enough time in the 2 minutes drill in practice we very well may have won the that game. He was driving us and there was just too much confusion since the coach was still calling the plays, when in reality 2 minutes drill is...

1. Prescripted
2. Completely called by the QB

You saw how hard it is to try and run the 2 minute drill with the plays still trying to be commincated in. Grant it, I am not saying the coaches aren't talking to teh QB the whole 2 minute drill, but it's still on the QB to get the palys off.

At this point it's hard for the packers to agree to move a guy when there is a very real chance Rodgers could miss time due to concussions. They are going to be very protective of Rodgers considering his elite status and wont be taking any risks. He gets a concussion, even a small one in a non playoff game? He's out. Period. History of concussions is not going ot serve him well.

Fritz
03-02-2011, 10:42 AM
But what about a first round pick in the middle of the round?

RashanGary
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Waht I liked most about Flynn is when he would throw a short pass, they were always in the best possible location for the player to make a big play after the catch. You saw a lot more YAC with Flynn. Maybe he doesn't throw it as hard or far, but he's elite at putting his guy in position to make a play.

I'm going to be really curious to see how his career unfolds.

gbgary
03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
If you ranked Flynn's Patriot game in an order with the best games played by a Packer QB in 2010, it's in the top half. He played a great game. He doesn't have the tools to be the best QB in the league, but he has the grit, savvy, toughness and know how to win a SB with the right team and win some regular season games with our team if need be. I think Flynn is still very underrated in GB and will be a starter else where and win a lot of games.

he's rated number two in GB. how the rest of the league rates him is another question. ;)

Smidgeon
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Waht I liked most about Flynn is when he would throw a short pass, they were always in the best possible location for the player to make a big play after the catch. You saw a lot more YAC with Flynn. Maybe he doesn't throw it as hard or far, but he's elite at putting his guy in position to make a play.

More YAC with Flynn than with whom? Rodgers? I personally remain skeptical since Rodgers often hits his receivers in stride for huge gains (if they catch the ball). Although, I can see that being true since Rodgers will also put the ball in a spot--in a way Flynn can't--right before the receiver is tackled for quick gains. Hmmm.

RashanGary
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
There was a pass I remember Brett Favre making to Toby Gerhart early last year. Gerhart rolled out of the flat with a linebacker crashing down to take away the pass. Favre threw a touch pass that went just behind the crashing linebacker and hit Gerhart right on the hands as he cleared the vision block of the LB. It should have been an easy 6 if Gerhart wouldn't have fallen down. It was a beautiful pass. He anticipated the defender and the route of his receiver and put it right on the money in a way that Gerhart was dangerous as soon as he caught the ball. I remember thinking AR never throws that nice of a short pass.

Flynn had a couple passes like that in the NE game. One was a roll out almost exactly like the Favre throw, It hink it was to Jackson. The other was a short curl route where Flynn anticipated the coverage and threw his guy open (might have been Jones). Both passes went for big yards because the recievers caught the ball effortlessly and in position to be dangerous.

Rodgers opens up the whole field with elite deep and middle range passes, along with his ability to run and solid short passing game. Flynn actually showed me more short touch and anticipation to set up YAC in that NE game than I see from Rodgers. Rodgers is an amazing player so for Flynn to show what he showed in that game, I tend to think it's more about Flynn having some special qualities than it is about AR's lacking. I'm buying Matt Flynn stock. I think he's really good.

Packgator
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Rodgers now has to worry about serious issues with concussions.

At this point it's hard for the packers to agree to move a guy when there is a very real chance Rodgers could miss time due to concussions. They are going to be very protective of Rodgers considering his elite status and wont be taking any risks. He gets a concussion, even a small one in a non playoff game? He's out. Period. History of concussions is not going ot serve him well.

All QB's fall into this category. They used to call it "getting your bell rung". Now it's a concussion and you are probably out (at a minimum) the rest of the game. It will likely happen to all QB's eventually. A capable backup QB is now even more important to all teams.

Smidgeon
03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I see what you're saying, but I would follow up with this question:

How often does AR pass into the flat? I think he rarely does it because he doesn't need to as opposed to that he doesn't have great touch. He pushes downfield instead.

RashanGary
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM

How often does AR pass into the flat? I think he rarely does it because he doesn't need to as opposed to that he doesn't have great touch. He pushes downfield instead.

Maybe Aaron is better at it if he did it more. For Flynn to even be on teh same level as maybe the best QB in teh NFL today, I think it says something about Flynn. It's just one guys observation, but I thought his anticipation, touch and ability to throw guys open were elite. That's not something you expect to see out of a guy starting his first game. We've seen couple special QB's in GB. Whether or not it was first time luck or something like that, I don't know for certain, but I thought Flynn was fantastic that game. He was using pump fakes, moving guys with his eyes and using hard counts that game too. He had a whole bag of tricks. Nothing seemed big to Flynn. He just went out there and moved the ball around like he knew exactly what he was doing. Flynn knows how to be a QB. His game is tough, competitive and smart. He has everything except a rocket arm and I've seen him throw it 55 yards so it's not like you're stuck with only short throws like we might think.

Fritz
03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Now that McCarthy is telling everyone that Flynn is not available, I wonder if he's going to have a harder time picking up women in bars.

packerbacker1234
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Flynn's short passing game was a beauty to watch. I remember back during the NE game people here were raving about two things:

1. Just how effective this new type of offense looked with Flynn.
2. MM's playcalling and how it was completely different than what he had done all year.
3. How effecient Flynn was in the game, and how he seemed to always make the right read and get the ball out fast. I believe he also stretched the filed on 2 passes in the game, just to keep the defense honest. Had to show off that hey, the guy CAN get it 50 yards down the field, even if it wont arrive as quickly as it would from Rodgers.
4. That Flynn was a perfect YAC Passer. More about getting his players in the best position to turn 5 and 12 yard passes into 20 yard gains versus throwing the ball 20 to 30 yards down field for an immediate tackle. Reminds you a lot of some of the touch we happened to see from Favre in 2009, touch passes that we were wondering why they didn't appear all the time he was in GB. Grant it that's a different debate on why Favre was a completely different QB for them then he was for us that season, but Flynn showed A LOT of Moxy. One week of starter practice, in the middle of the season at that (after running Scout team all year), and he walks in on hte road and has the best team in the NFL on the ropes.

He's good. I think other teams also saw that he was good. Credit to MM on his coaching ability. Also credit to the packers for holding onto this guy as long as we can. He could play a big role for us next year if Rodgers has to miss ANY time, and I'm sure now that he had to start a game he'll get more reps with the ones in TC and in season for the off chance he has to play, that way there wont be any more 2 minute confusion or stepping into a game in detroit with zero preparation. I think this is a sign they will be preparing Flynn to actually see game time on a moments notice from here on out.

Besides, I doubt anyone is willing to part with a first rounder for him, and that's most likely the only thing we would take to ship out a quality backup which could be a requirement as we enter 18 game schedules.

RashanGary
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Flynn had a hell of a game. One knock, on the the plays where his intial read wasn't open, Rodgers does a good job hanging in there and finding an open guy. Flynn got skiddish after his 3 second clock went off and he took sacks where he should have had long completions.

mission
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM

I'm hoping you think there's a chance that NFL GM's are going to google 'Matt Flynn', stumble upon this thread and do their research on what Packer fans think of Matt Flynn in an attempt to drive up his value :lol:

Matt Flynn is a top 32 NFL QB and will end up starting in the near future but he's no where near 'elite' in any category at this point in his career. JH, weren't you the same guy saying after the NE game that the Packers might be better off with Flynn at QB (over Rodgers) because his skillset lends more to "managing our offense better"? Come on man!

He didn't beat Detroit. He didn't beat NE even though our defense completely shut down Tom Brady for much of the game. It is what it is. The guy is a great QB prospect but he isn't anything more than that at this point. He's 0-2 in NFL games. He might end up being 100-2, but at this point, you and I could have the same record QB'ing for the Pack.

Graham Harrell is the biggest determining factor in deciding what to do with Matt Flynn outside of the CBA situation. If they feel he's progressing, then they're just playing hard to get and trying to drive up his value. If they think Harrell is still a long-term project, then they're telling the truth and will let him go in FA or maybe give him a two year extension with trade options after year one. Either way, they are not going to show their hand as far as opinions on Harrell at this point. I've seen none and don't anticipate reading anything in the very near future. This is the same front office that was satisfied with a rookie Flynn as backup when everyone was clamoring for him to sign a vet. These guys know what they're doing.

swede
03-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Top 32.

I like that. It has a Rodney Peete kind of ring about it.

Fritz
03-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Good call Swede.

mission
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Top 32.

I like that. It has a Rodney Peete kind of ring about it.

Kinda, but wasn't Rodney top 32 by default? You know, like 1st round entitlement for a horrible team...

(or was he actually 'decent enough' for a year or two? i can't really remember)

King Friday
03-03-2011, 10:42 PM

He needs to start working on dump-offs...or he will be decapitated.

It would also help to have a RB that can actually be a capable receiver out of the backfield on 1st and 2nd down.

VegasPackFan
03-04-2011, 01:07 AM
So from what I am reading in this thread, Rodgers will retire early due to concussion problems and either Matt Flynn is the future of our franchise or TT will draft a QB early this year to cover for Rodgers' impending early retirement....

mraynrand
03-04-2011, 05:06 AM
So from what I am reading in this thread, Rodgers will retire early due to concussion problems and either Matt Flynn is the future of our franchise or TT will draft a QB early this year to cover for Rodgers' impending early retirement....

There's one scenario where Flynn plays poorly in a Divisional playoff game against Dallas, marries a Holly Robinson look-alike, has four kids, gains tons of weight, and lives happily ever after. Check with Swede on that alternate time stream.

swede
03-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by swede
Top 32.

I like that. It has a Rodney Peete kind of ring about i
Kinda, but wasn't Rodney top 32 by default? You know, like 1st round entitlement for a horrible team...

(or was he actually 'decent enough' for a year or two? i can't really remember) I was shooting for the kind of quarterback who started for a few different teams and won games but inspired the GM to keep looking hard for the next QB.
"Top 32" seems to me to be a kind way of saying "You suck a little bit".

mission
03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I was shooting for the kind of quarterback who started for a few different teams and won games but inspired the GM to keep looking hard for the next QB.
"Top 32" seems to me to be a kind way of saying "You suck a little bit".

OK, I'd say that's fairly accurate. He's good but has some areas of suckage that he can improve on.

Guiness
03-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd rather have Flynn than the currently projected #1 pick in the draft, Cam Newton. I one year wonder with no experience in a pro-style offense, probably headed to Carolina where he'll be starting sooner rather than later. Recipe for disaster.

Smidgeon
03-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I'd rather have Flynn than the currently projected #1 pick in the draft, Cam Newton. I one year wonder with no experience in a pro-style offense, probably headed to Carolina where he'll be starting sooner rather than later. Recipe for disaster.

Well, let's take that as a starting point: are there any QBs in this year's draft that anyone would prefer to Flynn? This year or otherwise.

Packers4Ever
03-10-2011, 06:08 PM

PLEASE don't say that, don't even think it !! Arod has to stay in great shape - plus our new QB,
Flynn was so impressive in our game w/Patriots - he's a must-keep !!

Tarlam!
03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Graham Harrell is the biggest determining factor in deciding what to do with Matt Flynn outside of the CBA situation. If they feel he's progressing, then they're just playing hard to get and trying to drive up his value. If they think Harrell is still a long-term project, then they're telling the truth and will let him go in FA or maybe give him a two year extension with trade options after year one. Either way, they are not going to show their hand as far as opinions on Harrell at this point. I've seen none and don't anticipate reading anything in the very near future. This is the same front office that was satisfied with a rookie Flynn as backup when everyone was clamoring for him to sign a vet. These guys know what they're doing.

This. I've been thinking exactly this and it's too bad there's no QB school for all concerned. For Harrell to profit, for TT and M3 to make the call and for Flynn, because if Harrell is as good as Flynn year 1, Flynn would get to start elsewhere next season.

mraynrand
03-10-2011, 10:16 PM
PLEASE don't say that, don't even think it !! Arod has to stay in great shape - plus our new QB,
Flynn was so impressive in our game w/Patriots - he's a must-keep !!

Sorry. I can't help it - I think I am going to cringe every time Rodgers gets hit for the rest of his career. I remain hopeful that his Great Gazoo helmet will save him...

http://www.newsgroper.com/files/post_images/1gazoobig(1).jpg