PDA

View Full Version : So....what's Barnett worth????

Patler
03-03-2011, 01:13 AM
Barnett would seem to be the odd-man-out with both Bishop and Hawk (apparently) being re-signed to starters money.

What's Barnett worth?
Should they even bring him to camp, or will he be a distraction?
With no CBA in place, a draft day trade can't happen. Too bad.

BobDobbs
03-03-2011, 02:01 AM
I thought they might be getting rid of Hawk, so it shows what I know. However, I think this is the biggest player decision of the offseason, so I figured I 'd weigh in.

Man, its hard to see us getting much for him. No one has seen him play for a year and they know we want to move him and will probably cut him rather than carry his contract on our books. He's got enough years that there's no waiver process(unless that changes). If I was an opposing GM I might offer a 5th if I really liked Barnett.

If there is a preseason it may only be two games. It might be worth carrying all three through camp in case of injury. Or maybe you just take offers on all three and see if someone offers a one for Bishop or something.

The variables are various.

Fritz
03-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Barnett's not a bad guy or anything, but he does seem to wear his heart on his sleeve and on Twitter. Thus I can imagine him being a distraction. Not sure he'd be worth bringing in as insurance if he were to be grousing about things.

In my fantasy world, Barnett could snag a fourth, but in the real world, BobDobbs is probably closer to the truth - a fifth. Of Scotch.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2011, 06:22 AM
I think a contender would give no more than a 5th given his injury history and age. Plus whatever team would want him knows we can't pay four Ilbs that kind of money. I doubt we get much of anything for Barnett, but thats okay b/c I'm happy with Hawk and Bishop. Cut Barnett early so he can get his bitching out of the way now.

swede
03-03-2011, 07:30 AM
How much bitching can he do if no one picks him up and pays him real money?

bobblehead
03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
As I said in the Hawk thread, I think he stays put unless we need cap space under the new agreement. Too much talent?? Please, who has that problem. He will stay and play unless we are forced to waive contracts. There are plenty of snaps to go around.

RashanGary
03-03-2011, 08:05 AM
How about a conditional pick next year based on production (between 3rd and 5th round)

hoosier
03-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I can't see anyone giving anything for an often-injured 29-year-old ML, especially when it's obvious that GB will cut him (no way do they bring his disgruntled butt to camp) if they can't trade him. Maybe TT could trade him to the AFC for "past considerations" so that a division rival doesn't sign him.

prime311
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
My money is on him getting cut. Probably sooner rather then later.

3irty1
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking he'll be cut.

Fritz
03-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I can't see anyone giving anything for an often-injured 29-year-old ML, especially when it's obvious that GB will cut him (no way do they bring his disgruntled butt to camp) if they can't trade him. Maybe TT could trade him to the AFC for "past considerations" so that a division rival doesn't sign him.

I'd heard that his butt is gruntled. It's the other parts of him that are dis.

Kiwon
03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
The better question is how much is his night club worth? He'll probably sell it if he gets shipped out of town.

Lurker64
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
The better question is how much is his night club worth? He'll probably sell it if he gets shipped out of town.

Didn't he already sell it after his legal troubles?

gbpackfan
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I think he is trying to sell it, but no one will buy it. Maybe someone has. As for Barnett, I've grown tired of his big mouth and twitter antics. I could care less if we traded him for a gross of spoiled yamms.

wist43
03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
He actually turned into a servicable vet... but his years of mindnumbing misreads, and some of the other personal baggage is enough for me... let him go.

VermontPackFan
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
He is much more valuable to us than a 4th or 5th round draft pick, although I doubt a team would offer that up for him. He knows the defense, can call plays if needed and provides veteran depth at a key position. As long as he checks his ego (big question mark in my mind) and buys into being a role player and comes with a team first attitude, he should be welcomed back with open arms.

hoosier
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM

I think he is trying to sell it, but no one will buy it. Maybe someone has. As for Barnett, I've grown tired of his big mouth and twitter antics. I could care less if we traded him for a gross of spoiled yamms.

Eew, gross.

Tarlam!
03-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Thing that has to be a concern is his reported off-field relationship with Finley. I read on here during the twitter wars the boys and their ladies are real tight. It reminds me a bit of the Favre/Pederson deal, where they didn't really want to tick Favre off and reportedly kept Doug around.

Let's face it, I'd rather Finley lines up for the Packers offense than against their defense. I've always been worried about Finley's maturity. Any thoughts?

mmmdk
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Bye, bye bitter Twitter !

get louder at lambeau
03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I think they keep him and showcase him in the first preseason game, then consider trades. His injury was just a wrist, so he should be able to fly around like before. Then they weigh the offers, assuming Bishop, Hawk, and Chillar are still healthy at that point.

The other possibility, of course, is to trade Chillar, although he doesn't make half what Barnett does. The Packers have plenty of money right now while they rake it in from a Championship season, and they aren't afraid to pay role players. We'll see what the cap looks like, if/when it is reinstated, I guess.

RashanGary
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
He actually turned into a servicable vet... but his years of mindnumbing misreads, and some of the other personal baggage is enough for me... let him go.

http://www.mohammadi.ca/media/1/20080815-shocker-35838.jpg

gbgary
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
hawk sure drew a lot of attention the few hours he was free. barnett might draw close to the same interest if shopped (if that's what they decide they want to do).

Lurker64
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Vilma was traded from the Jets to the Saints when he was 26 years old, for a fourth round pick. Vilma and Barnett are comparable players in terms of "how good they are". So in a normal year, a fourth is about as good as you could get for Barnett. This is not a normal year.

VermontPackFan
03-03-2011, 03:42 PM
hawk sure drew a lot of attention the few hours he was free. barnett might draw close to the same interest if shopped (if that's what they decide they want to do).

I didnt know that, what did you hear? Were teams contacting him? Interesting, glad hes back.

red
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
barnett is officially on the trade block according to nfl.com, but they can't trade him until a new cba gets done

so don't hold your breaths

it also says if they can't trade him then they'll look into releasing him

barnett has played his last game as a packer

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Barnett is good, but lets face it he it not that good. Getting something is better than nothing so I would even take a 6th. You don't get a conditional pick if you cut a player (at least I think this is so) so you are better off trading him for whatever you can get. I just don't see how they can pay Barnett, Hawk, Bishop, and Chillar that kind of money.

Also, Barnett has two years remianing on his deal. We need all the money we can get next offseason with Finley, Sitton, and Nelson free agents. Add to that Rodgers, Raji, and Matthews need there deals re-done soon. You could try keeping him this year if he is fine playing a very limited role (which I doubt) and then cut him after the year is over.

Glad Lee is gone. I would suspect Barnett, Poppinga, Tauscher, Clifton, Harrell, and Grant are all gone within the next year to clear up money for more young, promising players.

Smidgeon
03-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Clifton too? I don't see that. Nor do I see Grant leaving.

As for Lee, I expected him to be gone but am not "glad" he is (I'm not sad either--just relatively indifferent). He did his job well and faded away without a lot of complaint. He saw the writing on the wall and patiently waited for it to end.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm "glad" b/c he provides nothing as the 4th TE on the roster and he makes way to much with that position on the depth chart. So I'm glad that we can use that money else where and not lose any talent at the position.

Clifton is 35 years old. I really don't know how he got through this past year without missing a game. I'm not saying a think he is gone now (we actually really need him right now), but after this year I sure hope we are still not counting on Clifton holding up.

Grant is 28 and makes close to 5 mil. Would you rather give that 5 mil to Finley and start starks who is 25 after next season? I know I would and I think TT is probably thinking along those lines. I see starks as a long term starter and you can always draft a back to spell him. I didn't see signing a 29 year old Grant for about 5 mil a year with so many other free agents as a good investment. I could be wrong but those I the players I see gone within the next year.

SkinBasket
03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Thing that has to be a concern is his reported off-field relationship with Finley. I read on here during the twitter wars the boys and their ladies are real tight. It reminds me a bit of the Favre/Pederson deal, where they didn't really want to tick Favre off and reportedly kept Doug around.

Let's face it, I'd rather Finley lines up for the Packers offense than against their defense. I've always been worried about Finley's maturity. Any thoughts?

My thought is that if that is the case, it's better to get Barnett out of town ASAP. The guy is an idiotic, immature egomaniac. Not really the kind of guy you want "mentoring" your young players. And if Finley can't accept that his "bro" isn't always going to be around to act like an idiot and enable his own idiocy, then he needs to sew that vagina shut before someone with balls impregnates him against his will.

Someone needs to find the "ruvell martin is [in] the glue" thread where several of you pansies argued we couldn't possibly cut him because he hung out with Rodgers. Obviously cutting him destroyed Rodgers' career.

Good fucking christ the search function on this site sucks diseased goat balls.

Joemailman
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Barnett may say some foolish stuff when he has too much time on his hands, but he's never caused dissension in the locker room or on the field. His contract may make it tough to keep him, but if Hawk or Bishop go down with an injury, it would be nice to have a guy like Barnett to turn to.

Smidgeon
03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Barnett may say some foolish stuff when he has too much time on his hands, but he's never caused dissension in the locker room or on the field. His contract may make it tough to keep him, but if Hawk or Bishop go down with an injury, it would be nice to have a guy like Barnett to turn to.

I agree with this. Plus, I think Barnett loves being on this team. He may be foolish in what he says sometimes, but he was drafted here and I think he knows how this organization ranks regarding how they treat their players.

It will be interesting to see how he'd take becoming a backup player who may be asked to take a pay cut if it comes to that. Hmm...

gbgary
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I didnt know that, what did you hear? Were teams contacting him? Interesting, glad hes back.

i posted that based on tweets by tom silverstein, jason laconfora, and adam schefter. they didn't mention anyone specifically. i just asked silverstein if he knew what teams were interested. hope he responds.

pbmax
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I am having a hard time putting Barnett in the emotional instability category compared to other dopes in this league. Even his coach recognized he liable to pop off publicly, but a different person in the locker room. If Mr. Personality can handle Barnett and Finley, then I have no problem with both staying. But I suspect Barnett is going to want to start somewhere, so he might welcome a deal.

pbmax
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
i posted that based on tweets by tom silverstein, jason laconfora, and adam schefter. they didn't mention anyone specifically. i just asked silverstein if he knew what teams were interested. hope he responds.

Silverstein said teams were contacting his agent. But nothing specific was mentioned. It would be foolish for teams with an LB need not to call and assess, since once he was cut, it was no longer tampering.

pbmax
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Are you saying wist matriculated at Texas with this post?

Fritz
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Then McCarthy will never have to turn to his wife and say "Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to?" when Hawk goes down.

pbmax
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Are you saying wist matriculated at Texas with this post?

Actually, can we get a ruling on that gesture? I think its the shocker.

gbgary
03-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Silverstein said teams were contacting his agent. But nothing specific was mentioned. It would be foolish for teams with an LB need not to call and assess, since once he was cut, it was no longer tampering.

he did answer my tweet with that same answer..."nothing specific."

King Friday
03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Can't see him being traded...his contract is a little beefy for someone coming off injury and on the downside of his career. If Barnett were a true pro like Hawk, teams might be willing to take a chance on him...but the history of flinging various drink containers at various women and yapping incessantly on Twitter is going to turn off a lot of teams when they consider his current price tag.

rbaloha1
03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Another Bishop lurks in the draft.

The defense actually was better without Barnett. With 3 big bodies occupying blocker the need for dominant ilb is reduced. Although a Ray Lewis type would be nice.

mission
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Honestly, probably a 6th round pick.

BobDobbs
03-04-2011, 04:15 AM
After reading all the posts I don't think we'll be able to trade Barnett for anything. Why would anyone trade for him, when they can get him for less on the free agent market. Is anyone going to pay 6 million to a linebacker going on 30 who barely played last year if they also have to give a draft pick? I don't see him getting that on the Free Agent market, unless its through performance based escalator clauses.

Might as well have a competition in camp and cut the loser. None of those three guys is going to take being a backup no matter how much of a team player they are. They all know they can get paid starter money, maybe not 6 million. And honestly paying someone that much as a backup is crazy. Better to get rid of Barnett a year early than a year late.

hoosier
03-04-2011, 08:54 AM

Jenna Bush signing "7". Maybe she's a Michael Vick fan?

SkinBasket
03-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Actually, can we get a ruling on that gesture? I think its the shocker.

You don't "think" it's the shocker. It is the shocker. She's the lesbian one right?

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
You don't "think" it's the shocker. It is the shocker. She's the lesbian one right?

No. That's the one on the right.

Zool
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Why shocker when you can spocker?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhyfXtBCL-5jmmj4lzVjEFfxUn-TldaTvwYB2wfL3CkBf3UdBfjQ&t=1

mission
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Oh I thought that was some sort of secret illuminati sign...

Fritz
03-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Like Chauncey Gardener, I like to watch.

swede
03-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Like Chauncey Gardener, I like to watch.
Way to Be There, Fritz.

pbmax
03-05-2011, 08:42 AM

My eyes had trouble identifying the digits, beside that it wasn't hook 'em horns. But now the tougher question: why?

And does Dad have any idea what's going on?

Fritz
03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
And what a great name, then: Jenna Bush. Girl better not shave!

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Barnett aint worth shit in a trade, and unless he moves to outside linebacker his 6 million in 2011 ain't worth shit to the Packers.

think about it? Why would Thompson keep a back up middle linebacker at 6 mil per? Not his style, besides Thompson and McCarthy probably are not all that happy with him for his twitter habbits the week before the Super Bowl. Thompson isn't one to appreciate the airing of dirty laundry to the public.

If I were the Packers, I would simply ask him to move to outside linebacker, work their all through camp and if it works out great, if not you cut him on the final cutdown. Then let him twitter his nutsack off. He will be so messed up that he won't even remember how to play middle linebacker in a traditional 4-3 anymore. At best he will be a nickel backer for the rest of his career.

I do think that Barnett could be a solid pass rusher from the outside, unfortunately it would be his lack of substance in the run game that could make his transition to outside linebacker difficult. He won't give up his body for the good of the scheme and that is a huge problem in Dom Capers defense.

Thompson only has to bring in 1 draft pick and about 3 other street free agents to compete for back up jobs at MLB.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2011, 02:57 PM

No that is Cheny's daughter, and she is all butched out. I think she is a pig farmer in San Francisco

vince
03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I think they'll cut him before they move him to OLB. He's too small for that job and wouldn't hold up, whether or not he'd be willing, which I doubt.

I wouldn't put it past Thompson to get a 6th for him and then turn that into a solid contributor, but I'd be shocked if they paid him $6 mil to sit on the bench and be a cancerous malcontent with a quick twitterfinger regardless of whether they can get anything in a trade.

pbmax
03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't think he's going to OLB unless its a different system. Not big enough in a 3-4.

And I don't think Thompson will cut bait unless he gets an offer worth dumping him for. The Twitter thing was a lot of noise, but its not like it tore the locker room apart either. As for being in camp, its not like Bishop, Hawk or Francois need a metric ton of reps.

He waits for an offer and either releases him around the second preseason game (if he is feeling generous, to let him find a new team and practice with it) or right before the 4th game, a slightly less generous move. I think its the latter and he waits to see if an injury somewhere else peaks interest.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Barnett is not a 34 OLB and he will not be a backup at 6 mil. He will be traded for a low pick or cut. I liked Barnett though, I wish him success on another team.

swede
03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Barnett is not a 34 OLB and he will not be a backup at 6 mil. He will be traded for a low pick or cut. I liked Barnett though, I wish him success on another team.

I didn't necessarily like Barnett, but I was always feeling sorry for him.

I was sorry they gave him a ticket for jaywalking...really officer?

I was sorry they shut down his club...lock the door, Herb! There's black people crossing the street again!

I was sorry he made up the Samurai move...too unclear, too long, too ghey.

I was sorry drunk white chicks got him into trouble...too me too.

I was sorry he kept opening his mouth and getting misunderheard...too much twittering.

I will be a little sorry he's gone. He seemed to like us even if we didn't like him.

Zool
03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Well at least if he gets moved outside, he'll have less ground to cover when he makes the wrong read to his side. He might actually hit someone from the side instead of his typical drag down.

Lurker64
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
If we get a CBA in place before the end of April, I expect him to be traded on draft day... and a lot of those trades guys go for peanuts, but the fact that the draft is almost completely bare of decent ILB prospects, he might be worth more than we expect. Wouldn't expect anything more than a day 3 pick though.

gbgary
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
someone wanting him will give up a pick rather than see him hit the market and maybe lose out on getting him. if nobody wants to deal he'll go to camp. we'll see what happens then.

wootah
03-07-2011, 04:18 AM

I said it a while ago that I thought ARod's praising comments for Finley after the Superbowl win might have something to do with it. I'll quote myself on what I wrote back then:

I do not think at all it's a coincidence that Arod kept mentioning the return of Finley and gave him high praise ("the best TE in football") in the post-Superbowl interviews. He also repeated that when sending a message to Finley via Twitter (to which Jermichael answered that he was extatic to have Arod throwing him the ball for the next 10 years). Why with Finley and not Grant?

It has been documented that nothing Arod does is without a plan; the funny staches in training camp, organizing parties at his place, remembering all the players' birthdays, the belt. It all served a certain purpose... This in combination with his Finley remarks made me think. I might be completely wrong here, but I think Arod wants to keep Finley close, also knowing that there's a possibility of things getting ugly in the future. To be a respected voice of reason for Finley should it be necessary. Going even further, it's has also been said in interviews that the Finleys and the Barnetts get along well. Maybe Arod wants to anticipate on a departure of Barnett and how this would piss Finley off. Or maybe Arod just want to spend some time an igloo.

Again, this is just my gut feeling. Although it's striking how many fans have a similar fear regarding Finley.

Smeefers
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I think the only way we cut him is if we need the money. If we have the cap space to keep him, we will. Also, I don't just give the starting position to Bishop, I think he's going to have to fight it out in camp with Barnett. It's Bishop's to loose, but I think everyone has forgotten just how good Barnett was. He was a top ILB in the NFC for years. If he completely rebounds from his injuries, well, it would be very hard to keep him on the bench over Bishop. Then the question becomes, is Bishop worth 4 mil a year as a back up and I think the obvious answer is yes.

SkinBasket
03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I have to agree with those who say we'll only cut him if we have to. Look at how long we tend to hold onto useless shitballs like Bigby, Poppinga, and that smiling black christian DE from Africa long after they've demonstrated they're all but useless. Barnett probably still has more than those guys put together had in their last seasons, so I'm guessing we hold onto him.

Fritz
03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
"It has been documented that nothing Arod does is without a plan; the funny staches in training camp, organizing parties at his place, remembering all the players' birthdays, the belt. It all served a certain purpose..."

Wootah, are you saying that Rodgers is gay?!?

vince
03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I have to agree with those who say we'll only cut him if we have to. Look at how long we tend to hold onto useless shitballs like Bigby, Poppinga, and that smiling black christian DE from Africa long after they've demonstrated they're all but useless. Barnett probably still has more than those guys put together had in their last seasons, so I'm guessing we hold onto him.
I'd be shocked to see Barnett on the Packers when training camp kicks off. Both Hawk and Bishop have been assured of starting and their contracts support that too. McCarthy confirmed that Bishop would be starting just last week and here's what Hawk's agent had to say about Hawk's status after his recent converstations with the team.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/117378143.html

The one thing he did say is that there was no way Hawk was going back to being a part-time player as he was early in 2010 when he would come off the field in nickel situations.

"A.J., he's a three-down player," McCartney said. "I'm confident he'll be a third-down player and let's leave it at that."
To me, that screams out that the Packers have assured him he won't have to deal with someone who will be fighting for snaps. Barnett is due $6 mil. Chillar is due $2 mil. Barnett is a loose cannon who is used to starting and can't keep from bringing attention to himself. Chillar hardly talks and is used to being a sub-package player.

I recall a few years back when there was a lot of talk about moving him outside to make room for someone else to play inside. This was when his contract was coming up for renewal and moving outside would hurt his tackle stats. He made it known he wasn't about to move outside.

It's clear he isn't going to start. Barnett on the bench would be bad on a number of levels. I don't see it. Not with this organization and the emphasis on culture and the principles that are in place. Other teams deal with me-first malcontents. Green Bay cuts or trades them.

pbmax
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
But how much of the 3 down player talk is agent as opposed to the Packers? Because forget Barnett for a second, Chillar can still come on the field for the nickel. Unless he is coming on for Bishop.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't think he's going to OLB unless its a different system. Not big enough in a 3-4.

And I don't think Thompson will cut bait unless he gets an offer worth dumping him for. The Twitter thing was a lot of noise, but its not like it tore the locker room apart either. As for being in camp, its not like Bishop, Hawk or Francois need a metric ton of reps.

He waits for an offer and either releases him around the second preseason game (if he is feeling generous, to let him find a new team and practice with it) or right before the 4th game, a slightly less generous move. I think its the latter and he waits to see if an injury somewhere else peaks interest.

You all seriously take Bob McGinn to seriously. Barnett is a good pass rusher, he has speed to turn the corner on an offensive tackle, the quick twitch to jump gaps and twist. I am sure he would be an issue in the run game, but he could easily get his weight up to 245, that is a total weight gain of 7 pounds. Then he would weigh more than KGB and he was a down linemen(I just thought it was a nice complement to his name being written earlier).

Again he isn't garuanteed jack shit, so at this point what is to lose, he isn't going to make 6 million in a season ever again so he should be on board, if doesn't work cut his sorry ass for nothing.

Could it be more hassle than what Barnett is actually worth? Absolutely. But what else do you jackasses have to talk about? It is obvious that he is the odd man out, but damn do we love to pick on Barnett. Wist and I go back to the JSO days in bashing of Nick Barnett. It is good clean, and damn wholesome fun.

mraynrand
03-07-2011, 02:49 PM

You don't like Bigby?

pbmax
03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
You all seriously take Bob McGinn to seriously. Barnett is a good pass rusher, he has speed to turn the corner on an offensive tackle, the quick twitch to jump gaps and twist. I am sure he would be an issue in the run game, but he could easily get his weight up to 245, that is a total weight gain of 7 pounds. Then he would weigh more than KGB and he was a down linemen(I just thought it was a nice complement to his name being written earlier).

Again he isn't garuanteed jack shit, so at this point what is to lose, he isn't going to make 6 million in a season ever again so he should be on board, if doesn't work cut his sorry ass for nothing.

Could it be more hassle than what Barnett is actually worth? Absolutely. But what else do you jackasses have to talk about? It is obvious that he is the odd man out, but damn do we love to pick on Barnett. Wist and I go back to the JSO days in bashing of Nick Barnett. It is good clean, and damn wholesome fun.

I'd love for him to show pass rush off the edge, but I think the offense would block him with a TE or back and not sweat it. Blitzing in the interior where you can delay, choose from three gaps, or cross blitz and outrun someone is different. I don't remember him defeating too many one on one blocking attempts. He is a better inside blitzer than Hawk or Chillar, but I don't think he gets it done outside.

I don't have nearly the concern over his game in the middle that you or wist do. He plays the Mack role good enough. He is better there than inside a Donatell/Slowik 4-3. Not as good as he was under Bates/Sanders 4-3. And I think the conversion to Hawk as play caller on D was coincidence to the second year in the defense and a big improvement from the secondary.

Patler
03-07-2011, 04:09 PM
And I think the conversion to Hawk as play caller on D was coincidence to the second year in the defense and a big improvement from the secondary.

I would tend to agree with this, except for the comments of several players, who seemed to appreciate Hawk's calm demeanor in getting the calls communicated, especially late calls and calls in late game situations. No one actually came out and said it, but I got the feeling a couple wanted to say that Barnett was just too hyper and it made the defense feel like they were scrambling and unprepared in crucial situations.

Deputy Nutz
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I remember Jones weighinh 225 pounds when he was drafted out of Colorado as an outside linebacker for the Packers.

The neat thing about Dom's defense is that there seems to be a place for everyone, I don't know if that place holds a 6 milliion dollar price tag for Nick Barnett.

Nick Barnett can't get off of blocks, and he refuses to eat blocks at the line to force the running back into the teeth of the defense. Barnett was told to go make tackles and that is what he did regardless if they were at the los or ten yards down field. I don't he had very little gap responsibility. He is like a dog that you let off the leash, you never know where the fuck that dumbass dog is going to end up.

pbmax
03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I would tend to agree with this, except for the comments of several players, who seemed to appreciate Hawk's calm demeanor in getting the calls communicated, especially late calls and calls in late game situations. No one actually came out and said it, but I got the feeling a couple wanted to say that Barnett was just too hyper and it made the defense feel like they were scrambling and unprepared in crucial situations.

I took those comments as a "faint praise" kind of thing, but you could be reading it right. You would think more would have been made of it if Barnett had been the source of the secondary confusion last year. Run D didn't seem to suffer.

But I could see the call being made late after a Samurai dance. :)

wootah
03-08-2011, 02:59 AM
"It has been documented that nothing Arod does is without a plan; the funny staches in training camp, organizing parties at his place, remembering all the players' birthdays, the belt. It all served a certain purpose..."

Wootah, are you saying that Rodgers is gay?!?

I'm not a native English speaker, so I had to look up this "gay" word you and Skin seem to love.

gay
1 if someone, especially a man, is gay, they are sexually attracted to people of the same sex [= homosexual; ↪ straight, lesbian]:
the gay community in London
2 (old-fashioned) bright or attractive:
gay colours
3 (old-fashioned) cheerful and excited:
She felt excited and quite gay.
4with gay abandon: in a careless way, without careful thought

So in the old-fashioned way one could call him gay, yes. But it was Favre who played with gay abandon.

SnakeLH2006
03-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Direct reply to Topic:

Maybe a few jock straps and footballs. His value is diminished as all hell given his injuries/age/mobility with all the money given the other LB's....plus he got herpes from some extremely fat white girl in a club in GB last year. Snake knows.....Ughh..I seen pics...She is fug Nasty. Yuck.

BTW...Finley is buddies with him cuz they are buddies trying to nail chicks in clubs. Finley nailed a girl Snake nailed a year and half ago (she was hot but dumb)...some skills....Barnett nails nasty ass bitches that crackheads wouldn't touch...Yuck.

Tarlam!
03-08-2011, 05:40 AM
I said it a while ago that I thought ARod's praising comments for Finley after the Superbowl win might have something to do with it. I'll quote myself on what I wrote back then:

Yup, that's what I remembered, I just couldn't quote who wrote it.