PDA

View Full Version : Former Raider DE charged with murder

Guiness
03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Anthony Wayne Smith, the former first round pick and Oakland DE has been charged with murder.

Sportsline had a blog post on it, and the last line of the post was great
:laugh:

No word on whether the Bengals (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN) are now interested in offering Smith a one-year contract to come out of retirement.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27757780

Jimx29
03-05-2011, 01:38 AM
*boom-tish*

Kiwon
03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Now he gets pinched with two others for a two year-old crime? Victim beaten and shot several times? Body dumped in the poppy fields?

Somebody gave him up. Look for his name to mentioned again. He sounds like a hired killer and if he's killed once then he's probably killed others as well.

A huge waste.

Fritz
03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Now he gets pinched with two others for a two year-old crime? Victim beaten and shot several times? Body dumped in the poppy fields?

Somebody gave him up. Look for his name to mentioned again. He sounds like a hired killer and if he's killed once then he's probably killed others as well.

A huge waste.

Now that's Bengals people!

pbmax
03-05-2011, 09:08 AM

A huge waste.

That's a really good jump to conclusion for this early in the morning. :)

Fritz
03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Why stop there? I think AWS can be linked to the Kennedy assassination, too.

Go Kiwon!

Kiwon
03-05-2011, 11:10 AM

A huge waste.

That's a really good jump to conclusion for this early in the morning. :)

I'll admit that I am currently reading a book about the mafia, and, of course, I could be wrong, but I'll bet you that I am correct.

Reasons: The guy's no angel, he's already beaten two trials for a Feb. 2003 firebombing of a furniture store over money. The victim was beaten and shot several times and the body dumped. That's mob style to send a message. Nothing is said for two years and then suddenly the body is found and the three alleged killers are arrested? Seems like somebody with knowledge of the crime was arrested and gave these guys up.

Criminal gangs need hired muscle to make things work. Ex-professional athletes can get used to a certain lifestyle and then suddenly all the fame, glory, and money is gone. They make tempting targets for organized crime rings that can offer them status and wealth again. Organized crime is in every major city in America making money hand over fist in the drug trade. People from every walk of life are not immuned to do favors for them when money is put in their faces.

Maybe this was the case with Smith and maybe it wasn't. I don't know, of course, but it would not surprise me if it was.

mission
03-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Criminal gangs need hired muscle to make things work. Ex-professional athletes can get used to a certain lifestyle and then suddenly all the fame, glory, and money is gone. They make tempting targets for organized crime rings that can offer them status and wealth again. Organized crime is in every major city in America making money hand over fist in the drug trade. People from every walk of life are not immuned to do favors for them when money is put in their faces.

Maybe this was the case with Smith and maybe it wasn't. I don't know, of course, but it would not surprise me if it was.

Some of these guys come from places that they go back to when the money is all gone. Reading tweets from Darnell Dockett when he talks about having 30-40 friends in prison (how many people do you know?) speaks volumes for what the athlete has been exposed to and what's potentially around them at every turn.

Working in the music business, I got to know a fair amount of drug dealing/robbing crew type of people. What you say is not too far-fetched, although, it's also just as possible that the guy himself was into some of his own business and had to do some enforcement. The whole "hired hit" isn't exactly how this sort of thing usually works but who really knows.

pbmax
03-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Reasons: The guy's no angel, he's already beaten two trials for a Feb. 2003 firebombing of a furniture store over money.

Gotcha. Must have missed this.

swede
03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Working in the music business, I got to know a fair amount of drug dealing/robbing crew type of people.

When I worked in the music business I got to know a lot of guys that traded creme brulee recipes, designed costumes, and lived in turn-of-the-century Victorian houses with their partners. We might have been in different ends of the business.

mission
03-05-2011, 02:15 PM
When I worked in the music business I got to know a lot of guys that traded creme brulee recipes, designed costumes, and lived in turn-of-the-century Victorian houses with their partners. We might have been in different ends of the business.

Yeah, that's why I don't do it anymore. :smack::bs2::five:

bobblehead
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM

HA, I get it :P

pbmax
03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
HA, I get it :P

I thought Swede worked for Busby Berkeley.

Guiness
03-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Certainly looks like Kiwon could be correct. I just glossed over the report the first time, getting a laugh out of the last line. A lot of the details do point to a contract/message type killing, AND the guy has three names. That's a dead giveaway 8)

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that that all three defendants have court appointed attorneys. If they're working for the mob, they're working for some that are short a bit of mone!

A bunch of comments on the story acted outraged over it, but the Bengals have certainly earned it.

Freak Out
03-05-2011, 11:14 PM
The NCAA....preparing student athletes for the future.