PDA

View Full Version : JJ's replacement -- Projected #1 from National Post -- Andrew Brandt's site

rbaloha1
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
JON BALDWIN WR, Pittsburgh

2011 GRADE: 7.0 C J HT: 6-5 WT: 230
Overview

Receiving Rushing
Year Games REC YDS YPR YPG TD RUSH YDS YPC YPG TD
2010 13 53 822 15.5 63.2 5 3 3 1.0 0.2 0
2009 13 57 1111 19.5 85.5 8 1 61 61.0 4.7 0
News & Updates
Feb 19
2011 NFL Combine workout warriors

Who could be primed to stand out in the measurables next week?

Scouting Report
Gabriel's Take

A king-sized wideout who possesses a well-built upper body with the strength to consistently fend off defenders in the pass game. Is at his best when asked to get down the field, locate the football and go up and make a play. Looks like a power forward the way he attacks the throw and consistently is able to come down with the catch. Is more of a strider when asked to get vertical, lacks a great first initial burst and seems to really fight himself at times trying to get off the line and quickly into his route. Does a really nice job of plucking the football over the middle of the field and isn't afraid to put his body in harms way in order to make a play. Exhibits some shiftiness to his game with the ball in his hands and is able to side step defenders and accelerate into daylight.

However, he lacks ideal balance/fluidity as a route runner. He's consistently forced to gear down and gather himself when asked to change directions and doesn't generate a great deal of separation out of his breaks. Plus, he isn't real sudden when asked to beat press coverage, and although he does do a good job of gaining a step by using his physicality to fight through defenders and then dropping his shoulder to maintain balance/strength, he isn't nearly as impressive at beating the bump as you would expect from someone his size.

Seemed to look a bit bigger in 2010 and didn't quite have the same type of electric jump ball ability he did in 2009. His motor also seemed to run hot/cold as the season went on because of substandard QB play. Is a physical, nasty blocker when he wants to be and can dominate at the point of attack, but at times seems content to simply go through the motions and lacks the kind of ideal killer instinct.

Impression: At his best when asked to get down the field and go up and make a play on the football. Can make a play on the football even when covered up, which is good because he doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to create a lot of separation for himself in the NFL. Is said to run in the low 4.4 range, but doesn't play nearly that fast and looks more like a possession type wideout at the next level.

gbgary
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
sounds good but if he's projected to go in the first i don't think he'll be our pick. i think we'll go o or d line.

RashanGary
03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
TT has never picked a WR who lacks agility. Jennings - Elite agility. Jones - Great agility. Swain - Very good agility. Nelson - Very good agility. Change of direction is very important in route running and after teh catch. I'd be surprised if TT drafted a guy with that skill set.

Tarlam!
03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
TT has never picked a WR who lacks agility. Jennings - Elite agility. Jones - Great agility. Swain - Very good agility. Nelson - Very good agility. Change of direction is very important in route running and after teh catch. I'd be surprised if TT drafted a guy with that skill set.

T-Murphy - agility.
That 7th, was it Bragg? Dunno

vince
03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Baldwin's numbers are comparable to Jones' except that he's much bigger and a more explosive jumper.

3-cone
Jones 7.06
Baldwin 7.07

20 Shuttle
Jones 4.20
Baldwin 4.34

Vertical Jump
Jones 34
Baldwin 42

Broad Jump
Jones 9'11"
Baldwin 10'9"

Jones 4.54
Baldwin 4.49

Height
Jones 6'1"
Baldwin 6'4"

Weight
Jones 207
Baldwin 228

I'd be ecstatic to get this guy. He's definitely athletic. He reminds you a bit of Jones but bigger, more aggressive attacking the ball and with better moves in space. Nice moves at about 1:20. I can't see Jones juking like that. He can run slants and the intermediate routes in traffic along with the deep routes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzuT2K0B68

Him or Lurker's guy Randall Cobb at receiver or OLB Justin Houston if available, assuming the OT's are off the board. Wouldn't mind Pouncey or Watkins one bit either to replace Colledge.

rbaloha1
03-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Nice highlights. Reminds more of Finley. Doubt Baldwin is available. Probably requires trading up. Pouncey also would be nice.

The roster is solid. TT has enough picks and players to move-up to obtain another impact type player.

swede
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
6'4" with a 42" vertical? If that kid has anywhere near halfway decent hands you would throw the ball 2 feet over the goalpost bar in the redzone EVERY time where only one human on the field could catch it.

Patler
03-09-2011, 12:24 PM
6'4" with a 42" vertical? If that kid has anywhere near halfway decent hands you would throw the ball 2 feet over the goalpost bar in the redzone EVERY time where only one human on the field could catch it.

Unless he is cursed with Bulaga-like short arms. If that is the case, he might not be able to each above his head. The draft experts convinced me last year that Bulaga's arms might not be long enough to reach from his shoulders to his hands.

mission
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice highlights. Reminds more of Finley. Doubt Baldwin is available. Probably requires trading up. Pouncey also would be nice.

The roster is solid. TT has enough picks and players to move-up to obtain another impact type player.

Exactly. I don't think you can really compare him to any of the receivers. He'd play more of that slot / middle seem kind of role that Finley does. I guess he's a decent blocker too.

That said, his 2009 highlights are a lot better than his 2010. Some say he put on too much weight, others say he just had a bad QB and they had him running bombs non stop. Who knows? Intriguing prospect though.

RashanGary
03-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Baldwin's numbers are comparable to Jones' except that he's much bigger and a more explosive jumper.

3-cone
Jones 7.06
Baldwin 7.07

20 Shuttle
Jones 4.20
Baldwin 4.34

Vertical Jump
Jones 34
Baldwin 42

Broad Jump
Jones 9'11"
Baldwin 10'9"

Jones 4.54
Baldwin 4.49

Height
Jones 6'1"
Baldwin 6'4"

Weight
Jones 207
Baldwin 228

I'd be ecstatic to get this guy. He's definitely athletic. He reminds you a bit of Jones but bigger, more aggressive attacking the ball and with better moves in space. Nice moves at about 1:20. I can't see Jones juking like that. He can run slants and the intermediate routes in traffic along with the deep routes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzuT2K0B68

Him or Lurker's guy Randall Cobb at receiver or OLB Justin Houston if available, assuming the OT's are off the board. Wouldn't mind Pouncey or Watkins one bit either to replace Colledge.

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't look at his numbers. I read the write up and it said his weakness was that he's a bit of a plodder. Taht write up is scary though. WR's who don't get separation and struggle in and out of routes. TE's, fine, but WR's. . . That's a big part of the job.

Smeefers
03-09-2011, 01:16 PM
It's a big part of the job unless you're a tall reciever who can jump out of the stadium. Then it doesn't matter if you get separation because you'll get the jump ball 9 out of ten.

Is it just me, or is there very little news about this years draft (players coming out and what not) besides Cam Newton. That kid has been crowned the next king nothing and it bugs me because he's not even the best QB coming out. Sure, last year all the talk was Tebow, but I had read up on at least the top ten, I knew their names, hell, I couldn't get away from it. I knew who Bulaga was when we drafted him and I was pumped because he fell so far. This year I find myself hunting for stuff, rather than just stumbling into it. Ehh, probably just me.

Guiness
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Very long lean look to him. The video obviously makes him look good, but hard to get anything from it. It mostly seemed to feature spectacularly bad coverage! He's not going to slip away from his guy like that in the NFL!

Tarlam!
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Ehh, probably just me.

I can only speak for myself, but, I agree. My reason is I'm holding my breath on the CBA outcome.

Smidgeon
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Very long lean look to him. The video obviously makes him look good, but hard to get anything from it. It mostly seemed to feature spectacularly bad coverage! He's not going to slip away from his guy like that in the NFL!

He did look a little stiff and did have an inconsistent QB. I thought those things were relatively obvious. But it looked like many of those catches were routine to him. Oh well. It's just a YouTube vid.

Bretsky
03-10-2011, 07:07 AM
I noted several weeks ago this dude is a baller and if all of the OT, LB, CB are gone rated round one picks this guy would not surprise me
He has my endorsement

Iron Mike
03-10-2011, 07:31 AM
I noted several weeks ago this dude is a baller and if all of the OT, LB, CB are gone rated round one picks this guy would not surprise me
He has my endorsement

IOW, he's an Oakland Raider for sure!!!!

pbmax
03-10-2011, 07:51 AM
IOW, he's an Oakland Raider for sure!!!!

Its either that or an arrest warrant for Bretsky's picks. Bretsky needs talent and will let the rest of the equation sort itself out.

KYPack
03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I like this kid, but he might not turn out for us. He's a tad slow off the line, but has killer top end for a big kid. Saw him play in 2009 on TV. He's a football kid. His daddy played for Pitt and a cousin played top DB for MI (where's Bulldog?). He is still a gangly colt type, but a tough bitch. I'd think Pittsburgh Mike would love this guy and love to get him.

He's from Aliquippa PA and probably has been playing football since he was two. He had dog shit QB's and doesn't get down when the ball isn't put right on his hands. Pro camp with balls right on his hands into tight windows would be a revelation to him. I'd be pretty surprised if he dropped to 32, but this guy is no finished product by any means.

He wouldn't give us much or anything in 2011, but is defintely a prospect.

red
03-10-2011, 12:50 PM
there is no fucking way TT drafts this kid

he's a grade A, top of the line turd. red flags all over the place for this kid

when was the last time TT drafted a guy with character concerns?

Lurker64
03-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure that in the immediate future James Jones's replacement is Jordy Nelson. When you draft a guy in the first round you're not going to say "here you go kid, here's the #4 receiver job... if you do well, you can move up to #3 by midseason... oh, and we have this stud TE who runs like a receiver, so you're more or less a de facto #5".

I fully expect Thompson to draft a receiver at some point in the first four rounds, I don't think it will be the first one. But if Baldwin is BPA...

steve823
03-10-2011, 04:05 PM

BJ Raji - marijuana use
Finley - Cocky, immature, major character concerns
Sam Shields - marijuana use

Overall he doesn't, but every once in a while the potential of the player probably outweighs the risk and TT takes a chance.

Smidgeon
03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
BJ Raji - marijuana use

Overall he doesn't, but every once in a while the potential of the player probably outweighs the risk and TT takes a chance.

With the caveat that--I think--they determine whether the person is a good person who made a mistake or someone who'll likely do it again in the future.

red
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
BJ Raji - marijuana use

i never heard of finley being cocky or immature or really having any character concerns. he was already married with a child when he was drafted i believe. the knock on him was that he was very young, only 21, and very raw, only 2 years playing TE

i'm not too worried about getting busted for smoking weed one or two times in college. if you went to college then there's about a 95% chance you've at least tried weed

the knock on the WR from Pitt is that he takes plays off quite a bit, is lazy, and just doesn't give it his all in practice or during games. he's also been arrested for assult, harassment and disorderly conduct

Smidgeon
03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
i never heard of finley being cocky or immature or really having any character concerns. he was already married with a child when he was drafted i believe. the knock on him was that he was very young, only 21, and very raw, only 2 years playing TE

i'm not too worried about getting busted for smoking weed one or two times in college. if you went to college then there's about a 95% chance you've at least tried weed

the knock on the WR from Pitt is that he takes plays off quite a bit, is lazy, and just doesn't give it his all in practice or during games. he's also been arrested for assult, harassment and disorderly conduct

Well, it was said last year that Neal took plays off in college too, and part of that ended up being true. But the other side of the coin was that he was on the field for every defensive play without rest. So "taking plays off" needs more context, in my opinion.

Bretsky
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Quarles

Bretsky
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Finely had a huge immature knock on him; proably why a talent that good lasted til round three

retailguy
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
He has my endorsement

Fuck... No.... Did you have to curse the guy already????? Sheesh.

rbaloha1
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM

What are the red flags? As other posters mentioned some of the Packers top picks committed immature acts while in college. Does this mean they have bad character?

TT investigates and determines the seriousness. Speaking to individuals about potential draft picks is much more valuable than random immature acts.

pittstang5
03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Being a Pitt Alumni and fan, I've watched Baldwin his entire college career. He's a great wide receiver, when he wants to be. I've seen him make some incredible catches and I've seen him drop some easy ones. I think with the proper motivation and some solid coaching, he'll be a good NFL receiver in a couple years.

Fritz
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
From the BJ Raji/Sam Shields "slipups" it would seem Ted's not too worried about guys smoking a little weed.

swede
03-11-2011, 07:16 PM
From the BJ Raji/Sam Shields "slipups" it would seem Ted's not too worried about guys smoking a little weed.

TT made his money in the 70's. He may have gotten that mellow thousand yard stare from the same place Tommy Chong did, maan.

Fritz
03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I dunno. That stare looks more like a result of mescaline than weed. Not that I would know about stuff like that.