PDA

View Full Version : Official Pre Draft Workout Thread and Haberdashery

pbmax
03-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Its Haberdashery, you dope.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/10/oregons-matthews-doesnt-wow-but-its-ok/?module=HP_spotlight

Gil Brandt

Here’s the thing about Oregon LB Casey Matthews: He’s a guy who just works out OK.

So the fact that Matthews, brother to Packers OLB Clay Matthews, was just OK on Thursday at Oregon’s pro day really doesn’t say much about his stock.

He’s such a competitor, the game film really tells the story with him. Still, he took part of the Ducks’ pro day in front of representatives from 25 teams, this after he was unable to do any on-field drills at the NFL Scouting Combine because of a shoulder injury suffered during the bench press.

Matthews, who measured 6-foot-1 ½ and 232 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.79 and 4.80 seconds, a 4.13 short shuttle and 7.09 3-cone drills, and also had a 9-foot-5 broad jump and 32 ½-inch vertical.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough if he’s as good as his brother.

pbmax
03-13-2011, 09:17 AM
JJ Watts

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-rumors-1715.html
by Wes Bunting

Of the number of scouts I talked to all of them really like Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt but don’t think he’s worth a top-10 pick, citing that he’s a good player on tape, but his impressive workouts could cause him to go higher than he really should. The name Adam Carriker was referenced because of his impressive rise after his workouts as well.

pbmax
03-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Dammit. Another typo in a headline and I CAN'T CHANGE IT!!

pbmax
03-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Via PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/12/saturday-morning-one-liners-99/), the Packers Looking At OLBs (http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5075)

Not to be outdone Sumner’s teammate, record setting sackmaster Marc Schiechl, also wowed the scouts in attendance. Schiechl, who holds the Div-II record with 45 career sacks, ran 4.64-seconds in the forty, posted a 35-inch vertical jump and broad jump of 10-feet, 5-inches. Oh yeh- he also completed 38 reps on the bench. Primarily playing defensive end in college, Schiechl measured 6-feet, 2.5-inches and weighed 251-pounds. He was put through a battery of linebacker drills and looked terrific. He also will showcase his skills again during the Air Force pro-day.

The Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos and Green Bay Packers were on hand for the workout. This is the second time we’ve seen the Packers front and center looking at a potential bookend OLB to pair with Clay Matthews. As we mentioned from the Senior Bowl the team is interested in Brooks Reed.

If I am reading this right, Sumner and Schiechl are from the Colorado School of Mines, a Division II program. Go Moles!

Fritz
03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Via PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/12/saturday-morning-one-liners-99/), the Packers Looking At OLBs (http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5075)

If I am reading this right, Sumner and Schiechl are from the Colorado School of Mines, a Division II program. Go Moles!

This is what I love about TT. The Colorado School of Mines! How cool is that? And if the kid has the numbers, why not?

And next week he's going to be at the South Dakota School of Mimes. Go Silence!

pbmax
03-13-2011, 11:10 AM
This is what I love about TT. The Colorado School of Mines! How cool is that? And if the kid has the numbers, why not?

And next week he's going to be at the South Dakota School of Mimes. Go Silence!

Can't you just imagine the poor area scout that got that assignment initially? "Just got travel docs from Lambeau. Plane to Denver, cab, train, bus and rental donkey! What the heck, where IS this place? Colorado School of Mines! Only Thompson would think this was funny."

Unless draftinsider.net is pulling an April Fools joke in March.

Iron Mike
03-13-2011, 12:11 PM

You mean.....Go Orediggers!!!!!

http://www.csmorediggers.com/sports/fball/index

KYPack
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
CSM is in Golden, Colorado. You can hit Boulder and Golden in the same swing, athto CU is in the toilet.

Re: Casey Matthews. The combine is glorified gym class. If you ID'ed a player that you really want, you HOPE he screws up the workouts. All the combine does is inflate the prospect's value. I think Casey is the Apple that fell a lot further from the tree than Clay, but the kid would be worth a 5. With this workout, he might be.

Scott Campbell
03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
CSM is in Golden, Colorado. You can hit Boulder and Golden in the same swing.......

Not to mention Air Force and Colorado State.

Fritz
03-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Interesting that Buffalo and another team were there, too. I wonder why some teams go to these places, and some don't.

pbmax
03-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Interesting that Buffalo and another team were there, too. I wonder why some teams go to these places, and some don't.

Well, the Bengals coaches would have made it there, but the Official Bengal Scouting K-Car had a breakdown in Nebraska and they had to order parts.

pbmax
03-14-2011, 07:31 AM
CSM is in Golden, Colorado. You can hit Boulder and Golden in the same swing, athto CU is in the toilet.

Re: Casey Matthews. The combine is glorified gym class. If you ID'ed a player that you really want, you HOPE he screws up the workouts. All the combine does is inflate the prospect's value. I think Casey is the Apple that fell a lot further from the tree than Clay, but the kid would be worth a 5. With this workout, he might be.

Agree with second point, but your first raises a question: does CSM regularly (or semi-regularly) produce prospects that make the NFL? I had never heard of it.

Joe
03-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Dammit. Another typo in a headline and I CAN'T CHANGE IT!!

But I can!

Lurker64
03-15-2011, 12:34 AM

It's extremely helpful to look at the scouting combine in a historical perspective. The genesis of the whole kit-and-kaboodle is that teams wanted to get all the players in one place so they can do a whole bunch of medical evaluations and interviews at one time, just to be efficient about it. At some point, somebody got the idea that as long as they have all these guys in one place, might as well work them out too. No one will argue that all of the measurables generated by the various tests are completely meaningless (after all, it's better to be fast than slow), but it's just part of the picture, and watching the combine you really get a better look at guys from the position drills (which are not quantifiable) than the actual tests.

SkinBasket
03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
But I can!

You must feel like the most powerful man/woman in the world.

KYPack
03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Agree with second point, but your first raises a question: does CSM regularly (or semi-regularly) produce prospects that make the NFL? I had never heard of it.

No.

It's a tiny school with a nothing program. Two guys from CSM were in the ancient NFL for one year. One in '28 and one in '40. It's for people who want to go to college and ski, hunt, fish, and hike for four years. That school having two NFL prospects is a flat out freak deal.

mraynrand
03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I just don't see how a school of Mimes could possibly even field an effective football team:

http://www.mimethegap.com/RK%20-%20Trad.%20Mime%20Sitting%20MIRROR.jpg

Lurker64
03-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Sumner (who is an NT, not an OLB) is a man who may well like the weight room more than anything else in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2D38T-0I24s

packrulz
03-16-2011, 04:32 AM
"The Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos and Green Bay Packers were on hand for the workout. This is the second time we’ve seen the Packers front and center looking at a potential bookend OLB to pair with Clay Matthews. As we mentioned from the Senior Bowl the team is interested in Brooks Reed." Posted on: March 12, 2011 10:02 pm
Edited on: March 13, 2011 5:01 pm

29 teams attend rare Saturday Pro Day at Arizona

Proving the intrigue developing around an underrated senior class of prospects from the University of Arizona, 29 NFL teams were represented at the Wildcats' Pro Day, Saturday.

Typically, Pro Days are reserved for the normal work week. But with the buzz being created by Brooks Reed and his fellow pass rushers, Ricky Elmore and De'Aundre Reed, who were also invited to the Combine, plenty of NFL personnel men showed up Saturday.

It was a senior not invited to the Combine, however, who best took advantage of the opportunity to workout in front of NFL personnel, however.

Running back Nic Grigsby was clocked at 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash by one league source I spoke to following Saturday's workout. The scout also noted that the 5-11, 199 pound Grigsby had a 43" vertical jump, which would have led all Combine participants this year.

Grigsby's athleticism does translate onto the football field. His lateral agility and explosiveness have made him a big play threat for the Wildcats throughout his career. Unfortunately, his thin build caused him to struggle with injuries throughout his career, as well. In fact, he played only one full season with the Wildcats, earning Honorable Mention all-conference honors in 2008 with 1,153 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns. Since his breakout sophomore season, Grigsby finished with 567 and 569 yards each of the past two years, respectively.

Considering that Reed enjoyed one of the Combine's best overall performances , it wasn't surprising to hear that he elected to sit on his numbers from Indianapolis. He did, however, perform defensive line and linebacker drills in front of scouts and coaches, Saturday, including Jacksonville defensive line coach Joe Cullen and Cleveland linebackers coach Bill Davis.

Considering the hype he's getting as a potential late first round pick, Reed's production at Arizona wasn't staggering. In starting all 13 games for the Wildcats, Reed registered 47 tackles and ten tackles for loss. He only had 6.5 sacks, however. That said, a strong Senior Bowl and an impressive workout that provided evidence that he might be able to handle the transition to outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme has his stock soaring.

According to a source close to him, Reed has already scheduled private workouts with the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens and Buffalo Bills -- each of whom, of course, run the 3-4.

The 6-4, 255 pound Elmore was clocked at 4.80 in the 40-yard dash on Saturday. Elmore led the Wildcats with 11 sacks last season as a defensive end. While his time in the 40-yard dash was better today than at the Combine (4.88-5.0 on his two attempts), teams are still going to have a tough time moving him to outside linebacker at that speed. His best bet might be to remain as a 4-3 defensive end.

Deputy Nutz
03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Sumner is Hell of a prospect in the weight room, and his technique on the football field screams "I am the biggest and strongest guy out here!". Not a lot of technique, but it is hard to tell because he was going against just terrible offensive linemen. The pad level and hand play of his competitors was just terrible. He is just goes up field no sense of gap control, would be an absolute waste as a nose tackle even if picked in the later rounds. Maybe he would develop, but again there is a reason he is at a d-2 school.

Deputy Nutz
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Hell of a lead blocker though.

Fritz
03-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I just don't see how a school of Mimes could possibly even field an effective football team:

http://www.mimethegap.com/RK%20-%20Trad.%20Mime%20Sitting%20MIRROR.jpg

Why not? Think of how well they could run the silent counts. Imagine the elaborate, effective sack-dances and touchdown celebrations.