PDA

View Full Version : More public education awesomeness

SkinBasket
03-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Despite protests by angry parents, a school in Florida is standing behind its decision to implement new regulations to protect a first grade student suffering from a severe peanut allergy.

Students at Edgewater Elementary are required to wash their hands and rinse their mouths out before entering the classroom each morning and after lunch. Teachers, who monitor the daily rinsing, must also ensure that desks are being continually wiped down with Clorox wipes. The school has banned all peanut products, eliminated snacks in the classroom and prevented outside food at holiday parties. And last week a peanut-sniffing dog was brought into the school.

District spokeswoman Nancy Wait of Volusia County Schools said the school is legally obligated to take these safety precautions because of the Federal Disabilities Act.

“It would be the same thing as putting a handicap ramp for a student that is physically disabled. The only difference with this is that is affects other students,” she told FoxNews.com.

But some parents are saying it is taking away from their children’s learning time.

“On average, it’s probably taking a good 30 minutes out of the day. That’s my child’s education. Thirty minutes could be a while subject,” Carrie Starkey told FoxNews.com.

On Thursday she and other parents protested outside the school, picketing with signs that said, “Our Kids Have Rights Too.”

Experts say the school may have gone too far and that there are easier ways to protect the child.

“I have never seen anything like this,” said allergist Dr. Scott Fischer with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network or FAAN, an organization that monitors food national food allergy issues. “There are many guidelines on how to manage food allergies in schools… things like no food sharing. There are plenty of relatively simple things the school could put in place that aren’t burdensome,” said Fischer.

But David Bailey, the father of girl with life threatening food allergy, says that if his daughter even smells peanuts, her reaction could be fatal. "We've fought very hard to put certain things in place… to keep her alive… in school," he told MyFoxOrlando. "She's already a cast-out. She can't do things that most kids can do."

While the school’s actions may seem drastic and invasive the school says it must protect the health of the student.

“It may seem like an inconvenience but this student registered her disability at the beginning of the school year and we have to do these things to give her a safe learning environment,” said Wait. Since the protest was held last week, parents will be looking for some sort of compromise from the school administration.

“We understand that they need to protect this girl, but these measures are just extreme. Procedures need to be set in place, but not procedures that will take away from our children’s education,” said Starkey.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/15/amid-protest-florida-school-stands-tough-new-peanut-allergy-regulations/#ixzz1GlQkEI8M

The only slight, insignificant, hardly worth mentioning difference is that accommodations "affects other students?" We have come so far from what rights and responsibilities were supposed to mean to this nation, that people don't even understand the basic principles anymore. Not even the definition of the principles, much less the purpose behind the definition of the principals.

This is your government at work, destroying education for all in the name of one. Implementing the common bond of suffering which is to be shared by all. Instead of finding a way to overcome adversity, we are all expected to demean ourselves so that adversity can be ignored.

Tony Oday
03-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Ah a kid can DIE because of peanuts and kids are so jacked up after lunch they wont be "learning" anything for at least an hour after lunch. This is a non issue protect the kid that can literally DIE if exposed to peanuts.

Zool
03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Good work Fox news on reporting something thats roughly 8-10 years old. Schools have been doing this for a long time, but now that teachers are in the news its suddenly important?

I'd bet you would have a different attitude if your kid would literally die from exposure to something and they made sure it didnt happen in his/her classroom.

I will agree that the mouth rinsing and dog is going too far, but a kid washing their hands twice a day isn't a bad thing in any way.

red
03-16-2011, 09:03 AM
son of a bitch, those first graders are losing a half hour in the classroom everyday.

now they might never learn that the square peg doesn't fit in the triangle hole, or that "a" isn't "J", or how not to piss themselves in public

oh the horror

Deputy Nutz
03-16-2011, 09:44 AM
If these parents were so worried about their child dying do to her severe peanut allergy why in god's name would they send her to a public school? I understand that this child has rights, but to test the Disabilities act with a peanut allergy so serious is mind boggling. Your putting your child's fate into the hands of other parents, students, and teachers were if they have to approach steps so severe to protect this child then I seriously wouldn't risk my child's life because I need to prove that it is her right to attend public school. Crazy and ridiculous wrapped up in a nice candy shell.

Little Whiskey
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
doesn't the ADA state "make reasonable accommodation"? is this reasonable or beyond?

SkinBasket
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
nutz's thoughts confrim my own. If the fucking genetic failure can die from SMELLING peanuts, maybe a public school full of kids isn't the right place for them. Maybe instead of trying so hard to force everyone to pretend your kid isn't a disaster waiting to happen, maybe you should do something that addresses your own child. Just another example of our government and schools forcing the responsibility of one onto everyone else.

mraynrand
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Based on the other thread, Skinbasket is being put at risk due to the exposure to Nutz. Joe should eliminate Nutz from Packerrats and the rest of us should all wash our hands - especially those who frequent the garbage can - to eliminate the essence of Nutz from our bodies.

Freak Out
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Bubble boy!

Scott Campbell
03-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Good work Fox news on reporting something thats roughly 8-10 years old. Schools have been doing this for a long time, but now that teachers are in the news its suddenly important?

I'd bet you would have a different attitude if your kid would literally die from exposure to something and they made sure it didnt happen in his/her classroom.

I will agree that the mouth rinsing and dog is going too far, but a kid washing their hands twice a day isn't a bad thing in any way.

Would you send your kid to public school knowing that their life was in the hands of some 8 year old trying to remember to properly rinse their mouth and wash their hands after meals?

Deputy Nutz
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I would send them to the catholic schools where their peanuts will be properly inspected.

MJZiggy
03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
First off, the allergist who deals with anaphalaxis thought this was nuts. Second, if your kid is so allergic that the smell can kill, not to be unsympathetic, but that kid's gonna die and soon. Like first time he goes out in public because I can assure you, the general public isn't going to be washing their mouths out and she will run across a street vendor someday who roasts peanuts. And Clorox wipes all day long? Sorry, but constant exposure to bleach products isn't good for you either. Whiskey asks the right question: the AMERICANS with Disabilities Act (can we at least get the name of the law right? And while I'm at it, what's a "while" subject?) calls for reasonable accommodations. This looks more to me like a demanding and overprotective parent trying to completely run over the spirit of the law which is to make work and education accessible to people who need accommodations. This goes beyond that and this kid should be home schooled before she passes a Chick-fil-A or Hardees on her way home.

SkinBasket
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
First off, the allergist who deals with anaphalaxis thought this was nuts.

RIMSHOT!!

MJZiggy
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
RIMSHOT!!:rs::lol::lol: Pun not intended.

Deputy Nutz
03-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Clorox wipes don't actually have bleach in them, or peanuts

SkinBasket
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Imagine how the poor fucking kid who eventually accidentally kills this genetic abomination because he forgets his dog ate a candy bar then licked his hand the morning before he walks near her during math is going to feel.

Deputy Nutz
03-17-2011, 01:20 PM
his class will probably throw him a party

Scott Campbell
03-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Imagine how the poor fucking kid who eventually accidentally kills this genetic abomination because he forgets his dog ate a candy bar then licked his hand the morning before he walks near her during math is going to feel.

Or when some poor kid with the squirts goes postal in his shorts.

Little Whiskey
03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Or when some poor kid with the squirts goes postal in his shorts.

would he blame it on a Big Boy Swiss Miss and Cole Slaw?

SkinBasket
03-18-2011, 08:07 AM
would he blame it on a Big Boy Swiss Miss and Cole Slaw?

It's not blame. It's credit.

But who could resist such a little temptress, when she tastes just like a Big Mac?

http://www.foodiebytes.com/image/200x200/t/chain_menu_item/85ab5266635580534580747f21c43fd0.jpg

Little Whiskey
03-18-2011, 09:31 AM

But who could resist such a little temptress, when she tastes just like a Big Mac?

http://www.foodiebytes.com/image/200x200/t/chain_menu_item/85ab5266635580534580747f21c43fd0.jpg

a big mac with swiss cheese, minus a second patty, piece of bread and special sauce? add a jar of colon blow and it sounds like you've got one hell of a burger!

SkinBasket
03-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh, it has special sauce. Very special. You can see it oozing out from under the patty.

And you forgot the rye bun.

Little Whiskey
03-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Oh, it has special sauce. Very special. You can see it oozing out from under the patty.

And you forgot the rye bun.

how could i have forgotten the rye bun? Big Boy is famous for their fine baked goods. Maybe patler should look to them next time he has a bread question.

does the bun act as a thickening agent for the burger's re-entry?

Scott Campbell
03-18-2011, 03:34 PM

The squirts aren't a problem unless they include some peanuts.

So your Big Boy squirts looks perfectly safe.

Little Whiskey
03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
what if the swiss miss was manufactured in a facility that also handles peanuts and may come in contact with them? is your fecal matter still deadly?

mraynrand
03-19-2011, 06:05 PM
is your fecal matter still deadly?

yes