PDA

View Full Version : Marviel Underwood = Last Year's Nick Collins

Partial
08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Honestly, I won't be surprised if he wins the other spot. I keep hearing nothing but good things and it seems like he has an interception or two every day. Today, he had an interception and broke up two other critical plays from Favre. I like this kid a lot since he knows how to lay a lickin' on somebody. Hopefully, he continues to play as well as the reports say and he either gets some solid minutes or even passes up manual (injured) for a few starts.

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
He's a tough kid. He's gonna do big things this season.

PTPaQ
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
MARVIEL!!!

LETS GO BABY!

Talk about lightin' up training camp...

Watch out Marquand.

Partial
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Welcome man!

TPF
08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Welcome to PackerRats, PTPaQ! Good to have you here.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Watch for Tyrone Culver. He sounds like he's turning heads, as well. I'm really excited about the future of this team--after now believing Aaron Rodgers has a solid future in this league.

Bretsky
08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I liked Culver a lot at Fresno; he looked very good vs. the Badgers.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Bretsky,

Were you impressed with Rodgers during the scrimmage? We both hated the pick, but I have to say that I really like what I saw. I now think Rodgers has the accuracy, feet, and enough arm strength to be a solid starter. Now, he just needs the mental part of the game, and he needs to be surrounded by decent teammates, but he reminds me of Matt Hasselbeck.

Bretsky
08-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, I was impressed; but I want to see a lot more before getting optomistic.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes, I was impressed; but I want to see a lot more before getting optomistic.

He made two plays that really stood out to me. He threw a great ball on a relatively deep sideline route to Ruvell Martin. That showed he has enough arm strength for the NFL. Then, on Boerigter's TD he showed really good feet in the pocket (and he's always flashed good feet). Very reminiscent of Hasselbeck.

And if he becomes as good as Hasselbeck, it doesn't matter how good Odell Thurman and Brodney Pool become, he'll have been a great pick.

PTPaQ
08-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Thankyou for the warm welcome guys! Great to be here...

GO PACK!

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 02:41 AM
I'm pretty excited for this kid too. I don't remember Mark Roman getting 5 int's in 2 minicamps, 8 preseason games adn 32 regular season games combined although I could be wrong.

Packers4Glory
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
he may see time in the nickle or dime, but he won't start. they signed MM to QB the defense and his football IQ and smarts are off the charts. He is exactly what the defense needs back there, which we haven't had since Butler retired.

Underwood will be ready to take over in a couple yrs and fill in for injuries.

A little too early to get too high on anyone just yet. he'll make plenty of rookie mistakes as all young DB's do.

Partial
08-11-2006, 08:41 AM
he may see time in the nickle or dime, but he won't start. they signed MM to QB the defense and his football IQ and smarts are off the charts. He is exactly what the defense needs back there, which we haven't had since Butler retired.

Underwood will be ready to take over in a couple yrs and fill in for injuries.

A little too early to get too high on anyone just yet. he'll make plenty of rookie mistakes as all young DB's do.

Manual is going to have to get on the field before he can start. I have a hunch his injury is much worse than the Packers knew and would have liked. I can't imagine they're too happy about him being out at all. Who is calling out the plays in the meantime? Barnett?

Packnut
08-11-2006, 09:30 AM
He was brutal last season and I give him all the credit in the world for turning things around.

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
He was brutal last season and I give him all the credit in the world for turning things around.
Sometimes it just takes that extra year to have things click for a guy. I'd rather have too many good DBs than not enough.

Astonishment
08-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Right now I would lean toward Culver or Manuel over Underwood, but that is more of a result for the Dog you don't know verses the one you do know. Of corse I don't think any are dogs (at least I hope not), but from all the reports Culver is the safty playing the best outside of Nick Collins. Manuel is hurt but every thing you see about him is positive as well. I actually think Underwood will be the odd man out when it comes to playing time if Nick or Manuel get hurt.

Partial
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Right now I would lean toward Culver or Manuel over Underwood, but that is more of a result for the Dog you don't know verses the one you do know. Of corse I don't think any are dogs (at least I hope not), but from all the reports Culver is the safty playing the best outside of Nick Collins. Manuel is hurt but every thing you see about him is positive as well. I actually think Underwood will be the odd man out when it comes to playing time if Nick or Manuel get hurt.

What? Underwood has definitely gotten the most postitive press from this camp other than Rodgers and Hodge. Everyday we hear nothing about how he is instinctive, hitting hard, and making interceptions and being in the right places. Remember, he was a high pick and a physically gifted player. Sometimes it just takes a season or two before it starts clicking.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Manual is going to have to get on the field before he can start. I have a hunch his injury is much worse than the Packers knew and would have liked.

I'm not sure that's the case. From the sound of it, he was an all-go for training camp before suffering a new injury just before camp.

Astonishment
08-11-2006, 10:00 AM

What? Underwood has definitely gotten the most postitive press from this camp other than Rodgers and Hodge. Everyday we hear nothing about how he is instinctive, hitting hard, and making interceptions and being in the right places. Remember, he was a high pick and a physically gifted player. Sometimes it just takes a season or two before it starts clicking.

I never said he didn't get any positive press, and I guess it is kind of pointless as to who got more accolades in the newspapers (which from what I have read appears to be Culver), but I still get the feeling this staff seems to be higher on Culver. We will see in the future. None of this should matter if Nick and Manuel(who will start when he's healthy) stay healthy for the season.

Partial
08-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Very, very true. I think we're set at safety for the future. It's amazing how well our young roster seems to be coming together. Hell, just last night I was thinking about the defensive tackle cuts and it was said knowing we're going to have to let one pretty good player go at least.

PTPaQ
08-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Well Culver is still probably going to make the team, I think well be looking at Nick, Tyrone, Marviel and Marquand.

Not to shabby, as long as the practices translate to the field.

I'm hoping MM's injury isnt something thats going to linger though.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Underwood has definitely gotten the most postitive press from this camp other than Rodgers and Hodge. Everyday we hear nothing about how he is instinctive, hitting hard, and making interceptions and being in the right places. Remember, he was a high pick and a physically gifted player.

Underwood was a second day pick last year in the 4th round.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Underwood has definitely gotten the most postitive press from this camp other than Rodgers and Hodge. Everyday we hear nothing about how he is instinctive, hitting hard, and making interceptions and being in the right places. Remember, he was a high pick and a physically gifted player.

I'm not so sure about the physically gifted also. He was a lot like Culver. Not all that great athletically, but just good football players at San Diego State and Fresno State, respectively.

Partial
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM

I'm not so sure about the physically gifted also. He was a lot like Culver. Not all that great athletically, but just good football players at San Diego State and Fresno State, respectively.

I guess physically gifted isn't the correct phrase, I used high pick 'cause I wasn't sure if he was a third or a 4th. Regardless, he isn't great athletically but like Hodge he is a hitter and a guy not afraid to stick his head into the fray. I think he'll be a solid back-up at this point

woodbuck27
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
We'll soon see how the Safetys and LBer's handle TE Antonio Gates!

There - is a test. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! FAITH !!

CaliforniaCheez
08-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Wait until next year.

Partial
08-14-2006, 02:51 AM
It's a damn shame lads. 'night all