PDA

View Full Version : proposed kick-off rule change...

gbgary
03-18-2011, 11:24 AM
kick-offs from the 35, touch-backs come out to the 25, no wedge formations. all this in the name of safety. crosby's leg strength may finally be a factor in games. devin hester won't be as much of a factor as he used to be. good on both counts.

Lurker64
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
I am 100% in favor of this rules change.

MadScientist
03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Best thing that could happen for the Packers lousy coverage unit and pedestrian return game. I can see Packer returners letting the ball bounce at the 5 and hoping it goes into the end zone because that would be better than they could do returning it.

One question, will the 25 yard line be for touchbacks on punts as well?

Patler
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
One question, will the 25 yard line be for touchbacks on punts as well?

The article I read said kickoffs only, and that all other touchbacks will come out to the 20.

gbpackfan
03-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I hate this rule change. The game is GREAT the way it is. It seems like the NFL is now just changing things to change things every offseason.

Tarlam!
03-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I hate this rule change. The game is GREAT the way it is. It seems like the NFL is now just changing things to change things every offseason.

Winner!

packerbacker1234
03-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Why is a touch back being moved out 5 more yards? THey figure 5 less yards to gain = greater saftey? There is no fundamental reason. You move kikcoffs back 5 yards, then move the touch back out further, which just shortens the field and makes the chance of returns, one wou;d think, much greater BECAUSE of the way things work.

Also, wedges are practically already illegal. Can have more than what is it, 2 people in front of you blocking directly? That's hardly a wedge, as it takes three to create one. So... the wedge itself is already not allowed. The only real effect is shortening the field, which I don't think has a real benefit UNLESS it appears a majority of kickers kick it out of the back of the endzone.

channtheman
03-19-2011, 02:58 AM
STUPID STUPID STUPID. Oh and pointless too.

Lurker64
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Apparently overnight they ammended the rule to:
* Kickoffs from 35 yard line
* Touchbacks to 20 yard line
* 2-man wedges are acceptable
* Players on kickoff coverage must line up between the 30 and 35 yard line

And it was passed today, according to several sources on Twitter (Schefter, LaCanfora, etc.)

MadScientist
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
So the real difference is going to the 35, going back to the spot used from 1974 - 93. I can't see the player positioning making much of a difference, except perhaps on the on-side kick.

Any happen to know how many Packers were injured on kickoffs last year?

Given the Packers special teams (not to mention their injuries), I have to be in favor of this change.

Guiness
03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Why is a touch back being moved out 5 more yards? THey figure 5 less yards to gain = greater saftey? There is no fundamental reason. You move kikcoffs back 5 yards, then move the touch back out further, which just shortens the field and makes the chance of returns, one wou;d think, much greater BECAUSE of the way things work.

The reasoning behind moving the touchback out 5 yards is that teams are more likely to accept the touch back than attempt a return. Less returns = less injuries. And less action...

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Terrence Murphy: If only sooner.

wist43
03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Moving the kickoffs up to the 35... you might as well just place the ball at the 25.

I understand the injury concern with wedges, but moving the kickoff up will take away from the game.

Lurker64
03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Moving the kickoffs up to the 35... you might as well just place the ball at the 25.

I understand the injury concern with wedges, but moving the kickoff up will take away from the game.

The kickoff was at the 35 yardline until 1993... has that much really changed in the intervening 17 years that we can't even conceive of the way things used to be as acceptable?

Fred's Slacks
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
how can u not like this? instantly improves 2 of our biggest weaknesses: kick return and kick coverage. Now, how can slocum over complicate a scheme in order to turn this against us?

Fritz
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
This reminds me of the theme song from the second Back to the Future movie: Back in Time, we're going back in time.

Patler
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
It will be interesting to see what the effect is.

During 2010, Cundiff averaged 71.1 yards/KO. His average kick would have been 6 yards deep. If he does it next year, his average might be a touchback. However, the average return against him was 26 yards, so maybe a return even from deep in the endzone is worth the chance.

Gastkowski was second at 67.9. This average is less than 3 yards deep, and might be returned from there. His average return is 24.5, which would put the ball at the 21 and a half. Against him, return it if you can.

On the other hand, Gano averaged "just" 65.9 yards, which will be one yard deep. But on 61 returns the average was just 19 yards. On average, his kicks will be returned short of the 20 yard line. Take the touchback when you can against him.

14 kickers average 65 or more yards on kickoffs, meaning their average kick should reach the endzone, but by less than 2 yards for 12 of the 14. Of course, more kickers might now kick for distance to get the touchback.

MJZiggy
03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
how can u not like this? instantly improves 2 of our biggest weaknesses: kick return and kick coverage. Now, how can slocum over complicate a scheme in order to turn this against us?
Because these won't ALWAYS be our weaknesses.

Kiwon
03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
As a fan, I like to see kick-off returns. This rule will take a little from the excitement of the game. From a player's perspective, maybe it will eliminate some injuries and keep more of them on the field. From an owners perspective, looking out for the players safety through this rule might make an 18-game season just a little bit more acceptable to a few more players.

packerbacker1234
03-22-2011, 11:56 PM

Sure as a packers fan this sounds great.

As a football fan in general who watches other teams play simply because football is a great sport to watch... this blows. Returns are exciting, and the fans love it when they witness someone taking it to the house. Yes, it's true injuries happen on KR more than any other play, but so what? It's part of the game. If every kicker just kicks it out hte back or so deep it needs a touchback, whats the point?

Lurker64
03-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I don't think "is it exciting?" should really be the ultimate arbiter of decisions made by the NFL, "is it good for the game?" being a better one. Certainly, excitement is good for the game but the game would be plenty exciting if we took special teams out of it entirely, and the excitement from the rare big kickoff return is more than cancelled out by the all-too-common injury on a kickoff situation. Plus, it's not like the league passed a rule outlawing Devin Hester (unfortunately)... it's not like teams don't have to punt anymore.

Kiwon
03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't think "is it exciting?" should really be the ultimate arbiter of decisions made by the NFL, "is it good for the game?" being a better one. Certainly, excitement is good for the game but the game would be plenty exciting if we took special teams out of it entirely, and the excitement from the rare big kickoff return is more than cancelled out by the all-too-common injury on a kickoff situation. Plus, it's not like the league passed a rule outlawing Devin Hester (unfortunately)... it's not like teams don't have to punt anymore.

At the same time, think about how many games each season end in a walk-off FG or last minute FG that was set up by a good kick-off return.

gbgary
03-23-2011, 11:02 AM
ya know...it might not affect returns much at all (kicking from the 35). since the coverage team has to line up inside the 30 they won't be going full speed when the ball is kicked. they won't be as far down field when the ball is caught...thus giving the returner a shot for a return even if it's caught pretty deep in the endzone.

VegasPackFan
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
What do you think this will do to how teams build their rosters? Will it have an effect on what type of extra bench players they keep? The requirements for making a team may not involve aspects of special team ability going forward.

Lurker64
03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
What do you think this will do to how teams build their rosters? Will it have an effect on what type of extra bench players they keep? The requirements for making a team may not involve aspects of special team ability going forward.

I think any sort of change is going to take a couple of years to unfold. Teams aren't going to change their ways without knowing how the game goes with the new kickoff position.

I mean, late in the year in cold weather the ball doesn't travel as far anyway, so teams are still going to have to be able to cover a kick.

MadScientist
03-23-2011, 02:34 PM
I think any sort of change is going to take a couple of years to unfold. Teams aren't going to change their ways without knowing how the game goes with the new kickoff position.

I mean, late in the year in cold weather the ball doesn't travel as far anyway, so teams are still going to have to be able to cover a kick.

There is still some strategy involved throughout the year. If you have good, fast cover units, you can try to kick a high hanger that goes to the 1-5 yard line and try to stop the receiving team before the 20. Kicking deep is good in general, but if you try to go for distance at the expense of hang time, you could set the other team up for a good return.

As for the 5 yard line up rule, just have the players start by running at an angle to build up speed before cutting straight up field as the ball is kicked.

Lurker64
03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
There is still some strategy involved throughout the year. If you have good, fast cover units, you can try to kick a high hanger that goes to the 1-5 yard line and try to stop the receiving team before the 20. Kicking deep is good in general, but if you try to go for distance at the expense of hang time, you could set the other team up for a good return.

As for the 5 yard line up rule, just have the players start by running at an angle to build up speed before cutting straight up field as the ball is kicked.

Teams are certainly going to strategize to adapt to the new rule, but I don't think personnel philosophy is going to change immediately, at least not until a consensus emerges on how best to cover kicks with the new rules.

MadScientist
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Teams are certainly going to strategize to adapt to the new rule, but I don't think personnel philosophy is going to change immediately, at least not until a consensus emerges on how best to cover kicks with the new rules.

I'm guessing the types of players needed in the cover unit will be pretty much the same. The only place where I could see a different choice on a roster spot made would be the returner, where a stud punt returner would have his value increased relative to a stud kick returner.

Patler
03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
It's not like all kicks will be touchbacks now. Moving 5 yards isn't going to revolutionize the game.

Pugger
03-23-2011, 04:02 PM
How in the hell are the bares gonna score...? Hehehehehe! :wink:

3irty1
03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
It will be interesting to see what the effect is.

During 2010, Cundiff averaged 71.1 yards/KO. His average kick would have been 6 yards deep. If he does it next year, his average might be a touchback. However, the average return against him was 26 yards, so maybe a return even from deep in the endzone is worth the chance.

Gastkowski was second at 67.9. This average is less than 3 yards deep, and might be returned from there. His average return is 24.5, which would put the ball at the 21 and a half. Against him, return it if you can.

On the other hand, Gano averaged "just" 65.9 yards, which will be one yard deep. But on 61 returns the average was just 19 yards. On average, his kicks will be returned short of the 20 yard line. Take the touchback when you can against him.

14 kickers average 65 or more yards on kickoffs, meaning their average kick should reach the endzone, but by less than 2 yards for 12 of the 14. Of course, more kickers might now kick for distance to get the touchback.

A couple of onside kicks wreck these number pretty soon. I have a feeling that guys like Cundiff, Gastkowski, and even Crosby will be touchback machines. I don't know how Slocum could justify ever doing that stupid pop-up kick ever again.

Patler
03-23-2011, 10:58 PM
A couple of onside kicks wreck these number pretty soon. I have a feeling that guys like Cundiff, Gastkowski, and even Crosby will be touchback machines. I don't know how Slocum could justify ever doing that stupid pop-up kick ever again.

Cundiff, Gastkowski and Gano had no onside kicks last year.