PDA

View Full Version : Kolb vs. Flynn

Smidgeon
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
It's sounding like the Eagles have an informal offer for a 1st round pick for Kolb (pending the CBA getting figured out before the draft). Does this change Flynn's value at all, or does that mean it's still status quo? Who's better? Kolb or Flynn?

gbpackfan
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I think Kolb is waaayyyyy over-rated. The Packers made him look like dung. I would rather have Flynn.

MadtownPacker
03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Kolb got his job took for a reason. Flynn shined and almost pulled off the upset of the regular season in his only chance. Based on having watched both play last season Flynn is worth more easily.

Tarlam!
03-22-2011, 12:32 AM
The only thing good about Mad's posts is his avartar, his sig and his opinion. Otherwise he just just watch Fresno.

bobblehead
03-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Kolb got his job took for a reason. Flynn shined and almost pulled off the upset of the regular season in his only chance. Based on having watched both play last season Flynn is worth more easily.

I am a Flynn fan, but I don't see him as better. He threw a lot of picks in limited attempts. One was an ugly pick six that helped cost that game he almost won. He was ineffective against detroit. Kolb had bright spots, flynn had bright spots. Both looked bad at times. I wouldn't give a 1st for either, but a second for flynn is as reasonable as it is for Kolb (Flynn has more room to grow as a starter imo)

Bretsky
03-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Kolb is more talented than Flynn. He's got a rocket Flynn wishes he had.

Smeefers
03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
I'd say they're about the same. Kolb has a stronger arm, Flynn is more accurate. If either were given a good team, they could not screw up enough to get them into the playoffs, but I don't think either of them would be a huge improvement to any bottom tier team.

Bretsky
03-22-2011, 08:28 AM
If I was a GM I'd probably give up a late 1st for Kolb (but I'd try real hard to negotiatiate it to a 2nd) and a late 3rd for Flynn (trying hard to get him for a 4th)

Fritz
03-22-2011, 08:06 PM

In his pocket?

KYPack
03-22-2011, 09:00 PM

Man, I dunno, B-Man. I've only seen Kolb have one good game (when Vick was out, I think). I don't think either guy is a big thing or long term starter.

You've seen Kolb sling it then?

I just haven't seen the big arm from either of these two kids.

Guiness
03-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Probably doesn't matter. Neither is getting traded this year, in all probability. There has to be football in order to get traded.

Mmmm, thinking a bit more about it, whoever grabs a first round QB might want to pick on of these guys up if there's an abbreviated TC and the rookies are nowhere near ready.

Bossman641
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Man, I dunno, B-Man. I've only seen Kolb have one good game (when Vick was out, I think). I don't think either guy is a big thing or long term starter.

You've seen Kolb sling it then?

I just haven't seen the big arm from either of these two kids.

Two years ago Kolb had a run of a few good games in a row I believe. Kolb certainly has a better arm than Flynn.

3irty1
03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Only in a Packer forum would the votes fall this way. Kolb has had more good games than bad, he looks to be a starting option. Flynn is a good backup for sure, but he's still largely unknown.

packerbacker1234
03-22-2011, 11:49 PM
I am a Flynn fan, but I don't see him as better. He threw a lot of picks in limited attempts. One was an ugly pick six that helped cost that game he almost won. He was ineffective against detroit. Kolb had bright spots, flynn had bright spots. Both looked bad at times. I wouldn't give a 1st for either, but a second for flynn is as reasonable as it is for Kolb (Flynn has more room to grow as a starter imo)

The question was posed on ESPN radion today like this: Do you use a 1st on an unknown QB, or do you use on someone like Kolb who you have seen before and know has the ability to play well at this level given proper coaching?

Kolb is the safer bet for a sure thing for your 1st rd QB selection, that is if you have a good coaching staff. As an example, MM could prolly mold Kolb into a pretty darn good QB.

The question of Flynn verse Kolb is interesting, but Kolb has the better physical skill set. As in - Kolb has the stronger arm. Flynn is a guy you like because he's a grinder. In a defensive slober fest where it's whoever gets the final punch, you want a guy like Flynn at QB. He's a gamer, and he's going get right back up and just keep coming at you. He isn't going to change how he plays because you think you stopped him - he's going to grind it an dmake what he is good at work.

Kolb has more of the type of arm to be an AR type QB (elite status), but it's still unsure if he has the head for it, or the accuracy to go along with the arm. He needs to be coached, and coached well, but he's more of a sure thing than Cam Newton.

Flynn reminds me more of a Tom Brady type if your going to compare top level potential - and I mean brady pre Moss. Sub 30 TD a year guy, not a ton of deep stuff, but pure gamer. A guy you can win SB's with if you have the right coaching staff in place.

Kolb reminds me more of big arm type QB - AR, Favre, Manning type ability with that ball, but it's yet to be known what type of head he carries. Is he a risk taker like favre, thus becomming a great regular season QB but wont get more than 1 ring in his career? Is he Manning where you work harder than every other QB in the league, but still drop the ball in the playoffs as much as the risk taker because of the over thinking? Or are you Rodgers where you just take what's given to you and let the game come to you?

Or, your a flop, and wont be anything better than a decent backup. Obviously the decent backup is the most LIKELY scenario because we're comparing to the top level guys. Point here is if your going to give up a first for Kolb, I think it makes you raise an eyebrow on Flynn's worth. He is at least a 2 right now. If he gets another game or two this next season and plays like he did against NE, it becomes a one next offseason if we still have his rights.

The question is always if it's worth giving him up, and if he's okay in his role. We ARE going to have 18 game seasons here eventually. Rodgers DOES have concussion history now, which means almost assuredly his next one is just like the last in terms of how it will be approached - your missing one game. Backup QB's are going to be invaluable for regular season success I feel. Not just for us, but for everyone.

Also, where does Flynn see himself? DOes he honestly feel he can be a top level guy? How much of how good he was in the one game pure coaching?

What's interesting I think is the simularities in the gameplan between what he did in that game, and what rodgers did against dallas when favre went out. Short passing, dink and dunk offense. Low risk, rely on YAC. The difference is Rodgers was thrust in and did that, Flynn wasn't able to do that out the gate against the lions. Took a week of practice.

Still, who knows. Flynn is a gamer. Kolb is the better talent. Who do you take?

RashanGary
03-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Reid got rid of McNabb largely because he had Kolb. Vick just ended up stealing the show. The same way I trusted MM's judgement on Rodgers when we made teh move, I trust Reid's on Kolb.

I'm a big fan of Flynn, but his arm is weak. If Brady is a 7 out of 10. Flynn is a 5 out of 10. Flynn has it, but his arm doesn't. I still think he could be a very good QB, similar to a Jeff Garcia or Jake Delhomme in their prime, but Kolb has star potential and the endorsement of a smart offensive coach.

We're lucky to have Flynn. If AR goes down, I think Flynn has a winning record and keeps us in the playoffs.

Safer bet to be solid, I say Flynn
Better fit for our team, I say Flynn
If I'm looking for a starter, I'd roll the dice on Kolb. Higher upside.

I'll answer the original question like this, who is worth the highest pick? Kolb.

woodbuck27
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Eagles would accept 2012 picks for Kolb

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8CDA

So the only way the Eagles could get picks in this year’s draft in exchange for Kolb is if the labor impasse is resolved in the next five weeks – by April 28, when the draft is scheduled to begin. The draft is currently scheduled to be held whether or not there’s a new CBA by late April.

Assuming the labor impasse is resolved after the draft next month but before the opening of the regular season in mid-September, the Eagles would have nearly five months to trade Kolb for picks in next year’s draft before opening day

GO PACKERS!

mraynrand
03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
In his pocket?

That's a Wocket, you pervert!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VndCiOsfC_o/S8wnlJXx4VI/AAAAAAAAAYM/uqzS0p6XTTU/s400/WOCKET+IN+MY+POCKET.jpg

Bretsky
03-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Only in a Packer forum would the votes fall this way. Kolb has had more good games than bad, he looks to be a starting option. Flynn is a good backup for sure, but he's still largely unknown.

DITTO

I think votes would be 9=1 of not a Packer forum
I'm not sure Kolb is the real deal but he has a cannon KYP
He was also thought of as a much better prospect coming out of college and has shown nice potential so far

wootah
03-24-2011, 07:19 AM
DITTO

He was also thought of as a much better prospect coming out of college and has shown nice potential so far

Brohm was also considered a better prospect than Flynn coming out and look where he's at now. I'm not saying Flynn is better, but he is surely less of a big name than Kolb and that would influence voters who don't know Flynn. Kolb got into the spotlight immediately as a 2nd round pick, sparking a discussion on the departure of McNabb in Philly. Since that, every offseason he was in the discussion whether he should start or not.

We as Packer fans are more informed of Flynn's play in practice and in limited playing time and by all accounts it has been very good. I really don't care much about the cannon of an arm argument. Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell, Rex Grossman had one too. For a QB, a good head is more important and Flynn seems to have a pretty good one there.

packerbacker1234
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Brohm was also considered a better prospect than Flynn coming out and look where he's at now. I'm not saying Flynn is better, but he is surely less of a big name than Kolb and that would influence voters who don't know Flynn. Kolb got into the spotlight immediately as a 2nd round pick, sparking a discussion on the departure of McNabb in Philly. Since that, every offseason he was in the discussion whether he should start or not.

We as Packer fans are more informed of Flynn's play in practice and in limited playing time and by all accounts it has been very good. I really don't care much about the cannon of an arm argument. Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell, Rex Grossman had one too. For a QB, a good head is more important and Flynn seems to have a pretty good one there.

Kolb also has more NFL game experience than Flynn, who has 1 and a half games worth. Kolb came in for injured Mcnabb 2 seasons ago and lit the field on fire with his numbers. Last year he had some decent showings as well as some rough ones (first game against packers, etc).

However, we've seen Kolb perform in real live NFL action far more than we have seen Flynn, and we've seen Kolb play well in more than just one game. That gives him a much higher stock. If flynn walks in and has to play two full games next season and performs like he did against NE except gets a couple w's, then his value truly sky rockets. Until then he is just a guy, who to many onlookers, played well in a solitary game but got confused in the 2 minute drill (we know it's due to lack of practice, but do they?)

We like flynn more because, frankly, we have a stud QB and we don't need another up an dcoming "starter" to be behind him - we need a capable QB who gives us chances to win in individual games when called upon. We don't need a guy that could start all 16/18 games. Kolb is just more proven than Flynn, and already has a MUCH better arm.

That said, Flynn has proven that a lot of teams simply overlooked him, giving full credit to how talented LSU was as the reason they went all the way instead of giving him any credit for it. If anything, how good LSU was overall is why RUSSEL got to where he did, and how good LSU was under Flynn is a product of his gamer style of offense fitting well in a talented group. The fact flynn's stock has raised up to at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder at this point just shows how much of a steal we got. Regardless of his starting potential, we all know he is a very capable backup in our system. After the NE game he put doubters to rest on if he can step in.

Now that Rodgers going out is something to consider more seriously in the regular season, Flynn should see an increase in practice reps with the ones just so he is actually prepared to come into games instead of running pure scout team all week. As was shown, he needs the practice to perform, so I am sure he'll get maybe 1/5th or 1/4th of the practice reps just to keep him fresh on the gameplan and to make sure he has some minor work with the 1's on the off chance he has to step in like he did against detroit. From what I heard, after Rodgers came back Flynn saw an increase in practice reps over what he had previously been recieving, and I expect that to continue so long as Rodgers is a concussion risk.

wootah
03-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Kolb also has more NFL game experience than Flynn, who has 1 and a half games worth. Kolb came in for injured Mcnabb 2 seasons ago and lit the field on fire with his numbers.

Are you talking about his one game against the Chiefs (who finished 4-12 that season)? Details on the regular season games in which Kolb had at least 15 attempts:
2007: 0
2008: 1 (Passer rating of 15.3)
2009: 2 (Passer ratings of 73.2 & 120.6)
2010: 5 (Passer ratings of 76.0, 103.3, 133.6, 56.9 & 37.0)

Some good ones, and just as many very average ones as well. Yes he has played more than Flynn, but I'm not overly impressed by it. One could say that Flynn is more unproven while Kolb has not convinced when he had the chance. Again, I'm not saying Flynn is better/worse, I just think the general public values Kolb higher simply because of the higher draft slot & bigger name.

sharpe1027
03-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think either of them has shown that they are special or have played enough to make more than a (uneducated) guess. If I had to guess, I'd say Kolb will end up doing more in his career, but in the end neither will be considered successful as true starters.

vince
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
It all depends what their respective surrounding casts looks like. Either one could be successful with a strong line and receivers. Both would fall on their face if they lack either.

I do think Kolb is a bit overrated though. He has the tangibles but appears fragile to me. Flynn has the intangibles and the hotter girlfiiend.

KYPack
03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
DITTO

OK, I'll take everybodies word for it. Kolb seems to get a lot of hype when he was behind Mcnabb. I could never really understand why. I've yet to see the guy do much.

Guess I'll roll with the hot girl friend theory.

woodbuck27
03-25-2011, 03:46 PM
OK, I'll take everybodies word for it. Kolb seems to get a lot of hype when he was behind Mcnabb. I could never really understand why. I've yet to see the guy do much.

I believe that if he's healthy and given the chance he can certainly lead an NFL team so prepared, to wins. Kolb has proven that he deserves a real opportunity to start for some NFL team.

Who's the better QB Flynn or Kolb? We need to see more fr. these two QB's to analyze that question. At this point it might seem that Kolb has the edge.

PACKERS!

get louder at lambeau
03-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Even Rex Grossman got some love this year as McNabb's backup. Maybe it's McNabb.

King Friday
03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I voted not enough info on both to make a decision. Flynn hasn't seen the field much. I've seen enough of Kolb to say he'd make a capable starter...but that's not exactly saying much.