PDA

View Full Version : When will we see the Packer Leaders start "captains" practices?

Tony Oday
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I mean they seem to be a pretty tight knit group and everyone that is under contract you would expect to keep working out and stay in shape. What I am wondering is do you see the leaders of the team getting all the guys together and run practices to build timing and such, obviously no coaches can be present so no new implementation. What do you think?

Patler
03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I mean they seem to be a pretty tight knit group and everyone that is under contract you would expect to keep working out and stay in shape. What I am wondering is do you see the leaders of the team getting all the guys together and run practices to build timing and such, obviously no coaches can be present so no new implementation. What do you think?

American entrepeneurism has taken over. I have heard there are several like this that intend to run actual practice-like programs if the lockout runs into the summer:

Outside of Los Angeles, former NFL tight end Billy Miller (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/billy-miller-PESPT005042.topic) runs Elite Performance Factory, which regularly has the likes of Reggie Bush (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/football/reggie-bush-PESPT008576.topic), Marques Colston and Keith Rivers on hand. Miller talked to one NFL organization that he won't identify about sending all of its players to his facility for workouts during a lockout.

"I am a guy who was in the NFL and so I know the things that apply directly to football," Miller says. "That is what the guys see here, that we know what is functional weight lifting, for example, or we know how to prevent injury, and it shows in the things we get them to do on the field."

pbmax
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Athletic Performance also has a deal with the former NFLPA to allow players to work out at their facilities (I think Finley and Barnett were in the AZ one) at discounted rates.

Tony Oday
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
See I heard the workout at facilities thing but that seems more individual....I was wondering is AR going to call up the WR, TE and RBs and work out kind of thing.

Guiness
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I think it would be tough to get the player's together. Cost could be pretty prohibitive, with transportation to bring them all to a central site, then food and lodgings once they are there. These guys aren't pulling down paychecks right now, and I doubt they'd be too anxious to spend the kind of money this would require. I don't see this happening on a large scale.

Smidgeon
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Didn't Nick Collins say he might get together with some of the DBs in Florida? I'm pretty sure he also said that they're professionals and know how to work out so he wasn't too concerned.

I could be wrong on both accounts. I didn't look up his PFT transcript.

Patler
03-21-2011, 02:09 PM
See I heard the workout at facilities thing but that seems more individual....I was wondering is AR going to call up the WR, TE and RBs and work out kind of thing.

No, the plan is for more than that. I heard last week that some of the facilities where players have trained individually in the past will be running NFL-like practices during the summer if the lockout continues. Miller's was mentioned. They said the goal will be to simulate a summer NFL camp, with team drills, etc.

I don't expect much to happen until after the draft, at the very earliest. This time of the year it's all optional anyway, so players will stick with individual programs until then.

mraynrand
03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm willing to help the players with their off-season training, even if the lock out extends into August. Here, I demonstrate a balancing and dexterity exercise:

http://foodcourtlunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/couch-potato-300x180.jpg

MadtownPacker
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
When I met ARod's parents they seemed like the kind of people who would have the whole team over if needed. I say rent a spot out, come to ARod's hometown in Cali and play at the damn high school! Ok maybe not but play at a high school in GB. Or would that be the same thing as playing at a place owned by the team owner since it is the city? Does that mean the Pack cant play any where in GB that is public owned?

Lurker64
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
When I met ARod's parents they seemed like the kind of people who would have the whole team over if needed. I say rent a spot out, come to ARod's hometown in Cali and play at the damn high school! Ok maybe not but play at a high school in GB. Or would that be the same thing as playing at a place owned by the team owner since it is the city? Does that mean the Pack cant play any where in GB that is public owned?

The Packers are publicly owned in the sense that they are publicly traded (in a sense) not the sense that they are owned by the city, state, county, whatever. So they could work out anywhere that would let them other than at the Green Bay Packers facilities, as long as the lockout stands.

MadtownPacker
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
I though the city had a piece of the pie. Seems like the Packer ARE the city. Even felt like it was a football movie set in some areas.

Lurker64
03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
I though the city had a piece of the pie. Seems like the Packer ARE the city. Even felt like it was a football movie set in some areas.

I believe the city owns the Stadium, while the Packers are owned by the Packers shareholders.

Tony Oday
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
So then can the Packer Players even be locked out? We own them :) I could really use CMIII and Hawk to move my couch upstairs.

Lurker64
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
So then can the Packer Players even be locked out? We own them :) I could really use CMIII and Hawk to move my couch upstairs.

In fact, yes. Most NFL owners don't own their stadiums, but they're still locking their players out. And once the ownership has imposed the lockout, they can only lift it by a vote of 24 or more NFL teams. Even if the Packers wanted to opt out of the lockout, they couldn't... or at least if they did they would be subject to severe penalties from the NFL.