PDA

View Full Version : A very strange and subdued championship

Patler
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
First, the season lacked the usual championship anticipation. A little at the start, but unexpected losses tempered it quickly. As the injuries mounted, and the list on injured reserve grew, getting to the playoffs seemed like a stretch, let alone going far in the playoffs. Getting in as the lowest seed continued the feeling that a championship was very unlikely, at best. To that point, the season was more one of disappointment and frustration, of potential not met.

A typical Championship season build-up was completely lacking. The Championship was sprung on the fans in just a few weeks time.

Now, with the lockout, the players will be out of sight for who knows how long. There will be little or no opportunity to relive the Super Bowl success before all talk of it is wiped out by the preparations for a new season. The White House trip may be postponed or canceled, other team appearances are not being scheduled.

All in all, Packer fans are being a bit short changed in what was truly an exceptional playoff performance by the team.

The Packers won the Super Bowl, but it just doesn't feel like it.

MadtownPacker
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Fuck the NFL for fucking the fans!

Fritz
03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I feel not shortchanged at all, at least by the part during the season. It didn't come "suddenly,' it happened over a period of seven or eight weeks of "must win" games and with every game the team's confidence grew. It reminded me of the '07 Giants team that way - when the Pack beat Atlanta, there was a sense that this team might be special.

If there's a lockout, then I'll just keep reliving this past season. So no loss there. As for the White House appearances, I don't really give a crap about that.

So I'm good with the "feel" of this championship. Not everyone will be, but there's where I am.

HarveyWallbangers
03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
For me, this one feels better than the last one.

Patler
03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
On a day to day basis, I completely forget about this one. After the last one, I felt drowned in the hoopla for months

Smidgeon
03-22-2011, 05:47 PM
On a day to day basis, I completely forget about this one. After the last one, I felt drowned in the hoopla for months

It's still weird. When I think back to who won the Super Bowl, I have to remind myself it was the Packers. And the inevitable follow-up thought is, "Are you sure?"

It does seem very subdued to me.

channtheman
03-22-2011, 05:51 PM
I've got the playoff games recorded and burned onto dual layer DVD's in HD. I think I'll just have to watch one every week when football is no more.

bobblehead
03-22-2011, 06:13 PM
There will be little or no opportunity to relive the Super Bowl success before all talk of it is wiped out by the preparations for a new season. The White House trip may be postponed or canceled, other team appearances are not being scheduled.

Don't worry Patler, after we win it again next season you can have the offseason you want.

HowardRoark
03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
What is a fair amount of joy for an NFL fan?

Smidgeon
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Packers fan or Vikings fan? :|

Patler
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM

More than I have now!

mraynrand
03-22-2011, 08:19 PM
The White House trip may be postponed or canceled.

I'll live without it

KYPack
03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Fuck the NFL for fucking the fans!

Mad is fired up.

Two "fucks" in a 7 word sentence.

You got it, Mr Fresno, F the NFL.

Patler I'm fired up for this win. For years now, I've seen "Cinderella" teams come out of the woodwork. I've always wondered "when will one of my teams come out of nowhere to win the big one"

This season was it. Shit, we were 8-6 and hanging on by our fingernails. I remember seeing Wild Card scenarios that didn't even have us in 'em!

But we folded back our ears and won 6 in a row to win the Lombardi!

I've always coveted this next Championship, the 13th, only team in the teens.

Everything looks so rosy, I hate to jinx us by talking about it.

Tony Oday
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I didnt lose hope! I love it because of the fact that the season could NOT have gone better. Vikings lost so much their stadium quit, Favre is gone and was terrible, beat the Bears in the NFCC and won the Super Bowl!!! I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!!

MJZiggy
03-22-2011, 09:59 PM
As for the White House appearances, I don't really give a crap about that.

I GIVE A CRAP!!! I WORK WALKING DISTANCE FROM THAT STUPID BUILDING!!! They totally need to be there!!! For MEEEE!!!!!!

swede
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I GIVE A CRAP!!! I WORK WALKING DISTANCE FROM THAT STUPID BUILDING!!! They totally need to be there!!! For MEEEE!!!!!!

You should invite them. Put out a cheese tray and set up a few card tables.

retailguy
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM

And an "I WANT THE TRUTH SIGN".

Bossman641
03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
I have the SB and shortened NFL Films version SB on my DVR. Every so often I'll turn them on for a few minutes or watch the Sound FX videos on NFL.com.

I also stumbled across this video the other day and thought it was one of the better ones I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TiTC5fGez0

packerbacker1234
03-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Good video.

Anyways, I think the buildup to this one was perfect. Other times we get hyped is usually when we think we're the best team out there. This season was exciting because we had our backs against the wall. Tons of guys on IR, facing what was at the time a playoff team ahead of us. We wont, what was it, 5 must win games to get to the super bowl? Our playoffs started in-season, and boy was it a ride. I loved every moment of it.

The after celebration was haulted mostly because there is something that overshadows it all - the idea of not having football next season.

While it appears at this point it's unlikely we wont have a season, the idea that we might not overshadows everything. Doesn't change the way I felt the moment williams broke up the final pass.

Tarlam!
03-23-2011, 02:28 AM
All in all, Packer fans are being a bit short changed in what was truly an exceptional playoff performance by the team.

Ya know what, you're right. But they beat Schitcargo and in the biggest game of the season at their house. The SB was just gravy for me. Beating Da Bears was the greatest sporting moment of my fandom.

Smeefers
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Ya know what, you're right. But they beat Schitcargo and in the biggest game of the season at their house. The SB was just gravy for me. Beating Da Bears was the greatest sporting moment of my fandom.

Nooo! Not this again. Arrrrggghhh...

It is really nice to say to my FIB buddies, "Hey, remember whent he packers walked all over the bears to go on and win the super bowl? Yeah, that was awesome."

Patler
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Apparently the strange, subdued feelings I have are being extended to the national medias treatment of MM.
Virtually ignored at the league meetings:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110322/PKR01/110322093/McCarthy-New-challenges-come-with-winning-title

TravisWilliams23
03-23-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm still enjoying the crap out of this Super Bowl win. Living in Pennsylvania with all the Steeler's fans around and getting to
wear any piece of championship attire to piss them off never gets old. Not to mention I have a brother who's a Bear's fan!!

Anytime I need a little lift I can go to NFL rewind and watch any game + the playoffs and know everything comes out roses
in the end. To this day I still refuse to watch SB32 because that team should have won the title that year and let it slip away.
I was lower than low that offseason because that year the title was expected and the team didn't grab the brass ring.

This years team had it's injuries and flaws but overcame them all. We're still champs until at least next January and I'm
going to enjoy that feeling until some other team knocks the Pack off their perch.

Smidgeon
03-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Apparently the strange, subdued feelings I have are being extended to the national medias treatment of MM.
Virtually ignored at the league meetings:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110322/PKR01/110322093/McCarthy-New-challenges-come-with-winning-title

That means they'll be media underdogs again next year. They're gonna have to repeat to get the respect they deserve...

gbgary
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
the lockout has definitly taken the spotlight away from the Packers. as for the season...i was anticipating a sb run after last season and the great preseason the o showed. injuries (and mm's playcalling *wink*) put a damper on things but i hoped for the best. the detroit loss was the low point, then the n.e. game turned it around for me. that run at the end was sweet. it was a great season! no down/subdued feelings for me.

Pugger
03-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I was just thinking...it might be a good thing nobody's talking about the Packers too much and winning the SB. Sometimes with all that adulation it can go to your head. Maybe if we don't get a lot of national love and respect that will give the guys a chip on their shoulders and will be motivated to go for it all again!

VegasPackFan
03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
There is some truth to this. I have said before that after they lost to Miami I told everyone that the season was over, they couldn't win close games and too many injuries. The rest of the way there were glimmers of hope but I was banking that on next season being a great one. For me personally, it all reached a peak at the NFC Championship game against the most hated rival of all time for eternal bragging rights. After that, I just knew we were going to win the SB.

I still get that same feeling like "hey, that's right - we won the SB......"

Tony Oday
03-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Facebook Status today:
Remember when the Packers Beat the Bears in the NFC Championship Game and won the Halas trophy IN Soldier Field? That was cool

Lurker64
03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Here's how I plan on really cementing the fact that the Packers won the superbowl.

Watch the draft.
Wait four hours wondering "when the hell are the Packers going to pick?".
Answer that question, every time, "At #32".
Smile.

LP
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
I was speaking with a Viking fan the other day about how the Packers weren't going to get there Super Bowl rings until after the lockout was solved, and how the lockout then had to be a conspiracy on the part of the Vikings to deny the Green Bay Packers, ..wait.., pardon me, that would be World Champion Green Bay Packers there just due. He then asked the question, "But if they don't have a ring, did they really win?"

Lurker64
03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
He then asked the question, "But if they don't have a ring, did they really win?"

I'm pretty sure they've got that silver trophy with the football on top, and it says 2010-2011 World Champions, or somesuch on the inscription.

Patler
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I was speaking with a Viking fan the other day about how the Packers weren't going to get there Super Bowl rings until after the lockout was solved, and how the lockout then had to be a conspiracy on the part of the Vikings to deny the Green Bay Packers, ..wait.., pardon me, that would be World Champion Green Bay Packers there just due. He then asked the question, "But if they don't have a ring, did they really win?"

Well, there is this silver obelisk now residing in the Packer offices... But, a Viking fan wouldn't know much about that particular object!!!

Patler
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure they've got that silver trophy with the football on top, and it says 2010-2011 World Champions, or somesuch on the inscription.

You beat me Lurker!!

MadtownPacker
03-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Even while heavily intoxicated the Aussie speaks truth. Beating dabears was great. I will always be grateful to TT for giving a lifetime of shit talking rights!

retailguy
03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Here's how I plan on really cementing the fact that the Packers won the superbowl.

Watch the draft.
Wait four hours wondering "when the hell are the Packers going to pick?".
Answer that question, every time, "At #32".
Smile.

Ted's gonna piss in your cornflakes by trading up. Just wait. ;)

Smidgeon
03-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Or down.

MadtownPacker
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Didn't TT already piss in you cornflakes by winning it all??:shock:

Fritz
03-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Wear an Obama mask and if your house is white, they'll think they're there.

Bretsky
03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
For me, this one feels better than the last one.

not me; but that is really a matter of where I am in life now. Still love the Packer but with a bigger family losses don't hurt as much and wins don't feel as good.
Back at our last one it was just me and wifey and we went to GB to watch the game and partied all night long. So that one meant more in my bigger picture at least.

MJZiggy
03-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Wait til the first time you celebrate it with 911.

Scott Campbell
03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
The entire ride has been delicious.

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Facebook Status today:
Remember when the Packers Beat the Bears in the NFC Championship Game and won the Halas trophy IN Soldier Field? That was cool

That's a good one. I think I'll steal that one from you. :)

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
The Super Bowl run in 1996 was like having sex for the first time. The Super Bowl run this year was like having sex with the woman of your dreams. :)

swede
03-23-2011, 11:12 PM
The Super Bowl run in 1996 was like having sex for the first time. The Super Bowl run this year was like having sex with the woman of your dreams. :)
:bang::mad:So it's YOU that's been having sex with the woman of my dreams!

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2011, 11:30 PM
:bang::mad:So it's YOU that's been having sex with the woman of my dreams!

:five:

Scott Campbell
03-24-2011, 12:00 AM

........right in front of your cheating sobbing ex.

wist43
03-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Does this apply to women as well??? Are MJ and the other gals on board with this???

gbgary
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Does this apply to women as well??? Are MJ and the other gals on board with this???

WHAT OTHER GALS?

OkayKyle
03-24-2011, 01:39 PM

You're just getting old

MJZiggy
03-24-2011, 07:40 PM

I am the woman of their dreams though I don't recall having sex with either of them...:razz:

Pugger
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I am the woman of their dreams though I don't recall having sex with either of them...:razz:

Can't there be two of us who are the WOMEN of their dreams? :wink:

KYPack
03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
This thread is taking a little trip to Bretsky-ville.

Ya know, multiple women, sex, etc.

MJZiggy
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Can't there be two of us who are the WOMEN of their dreams? :wink:
Cue B and his crack about gals loving gals. Problem is some of us gals prefer the ugliness that B claims men are. And my ugliness is in Paris...sigh.

mraynrand
03-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Cue B and his crack about gals loving gals. Problem is some of us gals prefer the ugliness that B claims men are. And my ugliness is in Paris...sigh.

Forget Paris - Lenon.

GrnBay007
03-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Facebook Status today:

I can relate to how Patler is feeling. Then I read Tony's post and it reminded me how the Packers didn't get to celebrate on the field in Chicago with their fans. They were shortchanged more than once! Oh well, maybe all that will help to inspire them to win another next season....or the next.

Bretsky
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM

I'd say the Super Bowl in 1996 was like the first threesum ........aka.....me and two hotties.......ever
This year was like rehooking up with the hottest one........of course.....that would be my wife....:)

Bretsky
03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
This thread is taking a little trip to Bretsky-ville.

Ya know, multiple women, sex, etc.

WINNNNNNNNER

GrnBay007
03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I'd say the Super Bowl in 1996 was like the first threesum ........aka.....me and two hotties.......ever
This year was like rehooking up with the hottest one........of course.....that would be my wife....:)

What number are you on now? ;)

Bretsky
03-25-2011, 02:13 AM
What number are you on now? ;)

not enough :)

woodbuck27
03-25-2011, 02:49 AM

Sometimes for a woman sex with some fellas isn't memorable for whatever reason, or maybe you ladies plainly succeed in forgetting.

woodbuck27
03-25-2011, 02:53 AM

Thinking. Sex and football? Football and sex?

Naaaa.

Football and beer? Beer and football?

Yaaaa.

AtlPackFan
03-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes, late to the party yet again...so 5 days after the original post...

I just figured it was (a) because I was so far removed from Wisconsin (and the ATL natives weren't exactly in any mood to listen to me celebrate yet another Packers championship) :-) or (b) because of the impending lockout. It just all seemed so surreal...can't explain it.

RashanGary
03-27-2011, 09:45 AM
It did feel good, but I agree that it wasn't as big of a deal as it was in 96. I think a huge factor in that is the Packers have been one of the better teams in the NFL for the last 20 years. We won a SB, went to another and had a couple NFCC games in there. It's similar to the Braves in baseball. They went to the playoffs for damn near 20 years in a row. Eventually the fans weren't as interested in playoff games.

I think we're spoiled and fortunately, the way this team is structured from top down, we're going to be spoiled for at least 5 more years, probably 10+.

RashanGary
03-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Reasons:

Labor Dispute
Spoiled
Fan base that is still divided, some almost disappointed in the win, others ecstatic but the, haha factor takes away from the joy.

Guiness
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Reasons:

Labor Dispute
Spoiled
Fan base that is still divided, some almost disappointed in the win, others ecstatic but the, haha factor takes away from the joy.

A monster ???? to that last comment.

I can see some of the hardcore BF fans still being divided over BF, but to be disappointed over a SB win? Were they in agreeance with BF when he told Peppers to go out and beat the Packers??? Anybody who expresses one iota of that sentiment is not a Packers fan whatsoever.

Scott Campbell
03-28-2011, 11:15 AM
I admit I enjoyed this SB much more because of those BF fans, and their huge helping of crow. Ted, McCarthy and Rodgers had a HUGE monkey on their back. It was great to see them exorcise the Favre demon once and for all.

Tarlam!
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I admit I enjoyed this SB much more because of those BF fans, and their huge helping of crow. Ted, McCarthy and Rodgers had a HUGE monkey on their back. It was great to see them exorcise the Favre demon once and for all.

And here, Ladies, Gentlemen and others is your WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

RashanGary
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Unfortunately all to many of us had to see Bert exorcising the Favre demon in his infamous text to Jen Sterger.

MJZiggy
03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
So I was at the outlet mall and my honey wandered us into the sports store to see the SB offerings. What was left was on a little folding table in the side of the store marked 30% off. Mostly Steeler AFC Champ stuff. Went to a different sports store and all they had was one rack of t-shirts--not with the NFL stuff where you could get Redskins, Ravens and Bears (?WTF?) stuff. Not normal, though I did see a headline quoting M3 saying he thinks the lockout will be good for the team as it's keeping them from getting fat heads. More or less.

Tarlam!
03-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately all to many of us had to see Bert exorcising the Favre demon in his infamous text to Jen Sterger.

"Many" of you needed a sexual harrassment case to decide what a fucktide Bert is? Well "many" of us had an inkling when he wore a green and white uni. When he went purple, the inkling became the 11th comandment.

easy cheesy
03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Thinking. Sex and football? Football and sex?

Naaaa.

Football and beer? Beer and football?

Yaaaa.

You betcha football and sex... what?...are you kidding me? That's the "Most Wonderful Time Of The Year"!!! FOOTBALL SEASON!!! What do you think half time is for? Hell, not even half time... Touchdowns, Outstanding Special Teams Action and Spectacular First Downs count too!!! Nothing's better... NFF time baby... NFF! I am not allowed to state what NFF stands for in this thread, but I'm sure imagination can get you there! GO PACK GO!

easy cheesy
03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Sometimes for a woman sex with some fellas isn't memorable for whatever reason, or maybe you ladies plainly succeed in forgetting.

Maybe you're just "forgettable"....

MJZiggy
03-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Maybe you're just "forgettable"....
I know I can remember just fine when the memory is worth it...whoo! It's a little warm in here. :oops:

GrnBay007
03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I enjoyed this superbowl run a lot because I was able to follow the Packers more closely than the last one. Back then I had two little babes and it was hit and miss what I got to watch....you know, priorities.

I feel bad for those that can't enjoy it for what it is without bringing BF in to it.

Smeefers
03-29-2011, 08:01 AM
This SB was a strange one for me. On one hand, I know our team worked hard and put together an unforgettable run that proves how tough they can be, shows off great coaching and great personel managment. On the other hand, I feel like we were a basketball player who had a fast break down the court, tripped over his shoe laces and falls with the ball, the ball slams onto the ground, bounces up, hits the backboard, rings around the rim and then drops in. It was just dumb luck.

RashanGary
03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
"Many" of you needed a sexual harrassment case to decide what a fucktide Bert is? Well "many" of us had an inkling when he wore a green and white uni. When he went purple, the inkling became the 11th comandment.

I'm a proud early member of the Favre is overrated as a player and person club, thank you very much.

RashanGary
03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
I enjoyed this superbowl run a lot because I was able to follow the Packers more closely than the last one. Back then I had two little babes and it was hit and miss what I got to watch....you know, priorities.

I feel bad for those that can't enjoy it for what it is without bringing BF in to it.

Well, if you haven't noticed, the Favre first fans are all gone, from every forum I visit. Woodbuck is still going strong. That was an ugly split, one of the ugliest in sports history. And if you havent' noticed, Favre deosn't look to be very close with GB, maybe not for a long time. I don't know if we should feel bad for them, but its a factor.

RashanGary
03-29-2011, 08:58 AM
dp

Iron Mike
03-29-2011, 08:24 PM

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183237_1878303836448_1206812794_2259762_468549_n.j pg

She won't forget if'n you punch her in tha face durin'

swede
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
To all you Jerry Reed fans sporting shiners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zG_f4sfRbM